How does a person learn to do a backflip?

Options
waynefan
waynefan Members Posts: 129
edited December 2011 in Growing Pains
A 5 year old boy could do back handsprings thats telling me that its better to learn at a young age before your body and brain are developed and your so small that its easier to bend back and flip.

If they kept being atheletic like doing strecthes and running exercising,then they would be able to keep doing backflips even if they got older and more developed cause they had gotten used to doing them as children so they never had any fear.

I cannot do a backflip,I am slim and I dont have any fear but I cant do a backflip or back handpring but I can do a frontflip with no hands which I learned at age 8.

I never knew what a backflip was until I was 8 and saw another boy doing one and I tried but I couldnt do one,I guess I already had bad habits in me and me body,I wish I could have learned it at 4 years old even though I never knew what it was.

Its easy if you learned it as a young child cause at 5 you dont have much fear but not every 5 year old has heard of a backflip.

Comments

• HafBayked
    HafBayked Members Posts: 16,248 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    didnt read all of it but the first part is true....we dont know or think about getting injured when we're little....i had nuts of steel when i was a kid....jumping off second floor balconies, ramping bikes, flipping on matresses, the whole nine...but now that im older and i've seen a few people break they're ? neck, you couldnt pay me to do none of that ? lol
  • John_Blazini
    John_Blazini Members Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    I eventually want to learn to flip on a snowboard but the knowledge i posses has me shook as ? .
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Young kids dont give a ? ..They are fearless for better or worse I knew at least 4 kids that didnt know what they were doing but will be quick to flip off of anything..

I remember this lil ? in 4th or 5th grade flipping off the sink in the bathroom .
  • waynefan
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Maybe I should smoke weed then maybe I will be able to do a backflip cause I wont think about anything any fear or getting hurt.
  • American.Loo
    American.Loo Members Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    never could backflip. dah well.
  • kat2180
    kat2180 Members Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Start off practicing on a tramopoline.
  • rice n gravy
    rice n gravy Members Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    i just fear I wont turn all the way and snap my neck :(
  • powerman 5000
    powerman 5000 Members Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    I was about 12 when I started doing back flips. I was that kid that would flip off of anything fences, the ? where somebody holds your foot and basically throws you,even had the gainer down. ( not sure if hoods have "that kid" these days) If you're in shape, I say just go for it. Youtube it for further instructions.
  • justifiable homicide
    justifiable homicide Members Posts: 128
    edited October 2011
    Options
    You ? sound like ? ...everybody in my neighborhood could do flips, even the fat kids
  • waynefan
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Young kids are small so they legs are easier so flip around and bend back and maybe then that allows them to be able to continue doing backflips like its nothing.They could contiue doing it even though their bodies are developed I dont know how they could continue doing it older.
  • John_Blazini
    John_Blazini Members Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    You ? sound like ? ...everybody in my neighborhood could do flips, even the fat kids
    soundslike you grew up with a traveling circus slime
  • waynefan
    edited October 2011
    Options
    do you hafta like pull your needs together or brings your knees to your chest not exactly but to do a backflip.I tried jumping but maybe I am missing something how exactly do you one easily cause I dont think its that hard.
  • Instant.
    Instant. Members Posts: 371
    edited October 2011
    Options
    I my packs do backflips in the trap
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    edited November 2011
    Options
    never could backflip. dah well.

• Lincoln
    Lincoln Members Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    It's just a matter of determination and not being afraid.

One day, a few years ago, I was with my friends and one of them decided they wanted to learn how to back-flip. At first I thought it wasn't gonna work.
    We watched a 13 minute or so video on YouTube, two or three times. Then we walked to a park nearby where we did some practice runs, and within 15 minutes, my friend was back-flipping by himself. Basically he started out on the ground, practicing throwing his hands back above his head, then bringing them down and his knees up. Then standing up, he would do the same thing. Then he would do the same, while one person on each side flipped him. Slowly we had to put less effort in flipping him, and he would put more effort in flipping. Then when he was finally ready, he did it, by himself, on the first try.

I told another friend who wanted to learn how to back flip what had happened. We watched the video, and he skipped through a lot of it, did not take nearly as much time practicing, and when we went to flip him on the first try, he fell on his neck.

You gotta be determined and patient,..
  • G.R.I.P. Money $$$
    G.R.I.P. Money $$$ Members Posts: 18,939 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    i used to be able to do it on a trampoline, till once i hit my leg or some ? , and it was like something mental that kept me from turning all the way after that..

i can prolly still front flip on there tho
  • memphis2sacnicc
    memphis2sacnicc Members Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
  • Melanin_Enriched
    Melanin_Enriched Members Posts: 22,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    ^the ? , it looks like these ? can bicycle kick the rim and ? . Makes a ? want to go learn how to do that ? .
  • Madbeats
    Madbeats Members Posts: 544
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Everything is hard to learn at first but learning anything is hard if you are scared of it.
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    i just fear I wont turn all the way and snap my neck :(

That's what stopped me from doing back flips. I can only flip on a trampoline, but I've done all flips on a trampoline. Front flips, side rolls, double front flip (took forever and was scary as ? ) but the back flip... the back flip my first time I landed on my stomach, thought I had it down, did it again and didn't turn all the way, face planted and feet touched the back of my head, never did I do it again...
  • Topps
    Topps Members Posts: 447
    edited December 2011
    Options
    They from da same projects as my daddy.

These ? be getting paid on Beale Street.

I went to Beale Street one day and these ? had buckets full of money that white people was giving to them.
  • Louispasture
    Louispasture Members Posts: 5
    Options
    You are right. I always wanted to do back flips, when I used to saw others doing it, especially in dance shows and action movies. I am now 31, so I guess i would not be able to do it ever.
  • -Slim-
    -Slim- Members Posts: 28
    Options
    just hop on a trampoline an do a back handspring keep doin that bout 10-15 times jump a lil higher an do a backflip.
  • Little JJ
    Little JJ Members Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Too much free time.
  • tammi6523
    tammi6523 Members Posts: 6
    Options
    A back flip is considered a basic skill in gymnastics, but only because it is a building block to many other skills. It's not a simple move to learn, but once you do, you've achieved one of the big milestones of becoming a good gymnast.