If Aaliyah was still alive...

Options

Comments

• MonRoch
    MonRoch Members Posts: 73
    edited January 2011
    Options
    AALIYAH has more quality in here short 3 album career than most of these young chicks have their entire careers:

Aaliyah 1st 3 albums > Beyonce's 1st 3, Brandy's 1st 3, Monica's 1st 3, Ciara's 1st 3, Ashanti's 1st 3 and Rhianna's 1st 3

She's the female young GOAT. R.I.P.

Brandy>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Aaliyah had good music too though :)
  • MonRoch
    MonRoch Members Posts: 73
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Maalik wrote: »
    Old thread but...SMH @ folks acting like Aaliyah's discography doesn't ? on Beyonce's.

I'll post my real opinion later...

yes Aaliyah had better music!!!!!!!!!!!
  • churchboy2
    churchboy2 Members Posts: 477
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Aaliyah = Ashanti = Ciara = Keri Hilson = Rihanna

none of them are powerhouse singers

Aaliyah couldn't hit a hi-note if her life depended on it so to say she is superior to Beyonce is ?

but Aaliyah has more charisma than anyone I jus named

but to say Aaliyah is better than Beyonce is like sayin that Aaliyah is on the same playin field as Whitney, Mariah, Alicia, Mary J. Blige which jus isn't true

I don't believe Aaliyah's voice was more powerful than Keyshia Coles or Monica's

as far as singin range she was slightly better than Chili from TLC

but this is all jus my opinion and what my ears tell me

^^^ re-posted for emphasis
  • georgia boi
    georgia boi Members Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Beyonce is a better vocalist and dancer than Aaliyah was, but Aaliyah still made better music. I respect Beyonce, but her music is just re-treads of Rihanna (the Stargate production and Ne-Yo writing and the writing and production of Tricky Stewart and The Dream) and Amerie (the Rich Harrison production). Beyonce has the star power and the vocal chops to take the production and writing of Stargate and Tricky & The Dream to the top of the charts, but it's not like Beyonce has her own sound. Artists use the same producers all the time, but they get something different from them. "Crazy In Love" could've easily been an Amerie song. "Irreplaceable" could've been another #1 for Rihanna.

With Aaliyah, she brought something entirely new to the game and had a sound and style of her own.
  • Yung_Souf_Money
    Yung_Souf_Money Members Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    r.i.p aliyah.i believe she wouldve been doing more movie roles than music
  • Mvpbrodie93
    Mvpbrodie93 Members Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I love Aaliyah, she was a pretty girl but , musically she was OK to me
  • P-Dogg77
    P-Dogg77 Members Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Aaliyah is the best female singer of all time .

Aaliyah >> Nina Simone , Patti Labelle , Aretha Franklin put together.

Those worthless ? aint got nothin on my baby boo Aaliyah may her soul R.I.P
  • Mvpbrodie93
    edited January 2011
    Options
    P-Dogg77 wrote: »
    Aaliyah is the best female singer of all time .

Aaliyah >> Nina Simone , Patti Labelle , Aretha Franklin put together.

Those worthless ? aint got nothin on my baby boo Aaliyah may her soul R.I.P
    Aaliyah was cool but thats crazy
  • Mdizzle9000
    Mdizzle9000 Members, Writer Posts: 8,319 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    the people who made aaliyah(missy,timbo)>>>>>aaliyah
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    she wouldve been the key witness in the R kelly trial, and probably wouldve put him in jail.

I literally laughed out loud at this...
    she made dating choices just like ur average hood chick even though she looked like s supermodel...
  • baller2500
    baller2500 Members Posts: 193
    edited January 2011
    Options
    the people who made aaliyah(missy,timbo)>>>>>aaliyah

and Aaliyah made them too. Did you forget that OIAM was the album that actually made Tim and Missy relevant? If it wasn't for Aaliyah calling them out of the hood of virginia, they would be NOBODIES right now.
  • baller2500
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Beyonce is a better vocalist and dancer than Aaliyah was, but Aaliyah still made better music. I respect Beyonce, but her music is just re-treads of Rihanna (the Stargate production and Ne-Yo writing and the writing and production of Tricky Stewart and The Dream) and Amerie (the Rich Harrison production). Beyonce has the star power and the vocal chops to take the production and writing of Stargate and Tricky & The Dream to the top of the charts, but it's not like Beyonce has her own sound. Artists use the same producers all the time, but they get something different from them. "Crazy In Love" could've easily been an Amerie song. "Irreplaceable" could've been another #1 for Rihanna.

With Aaliyah, she brought something entirely new to the game and had a sound and style of her own.

I disagree with the dancing thing. Beyonce can't dance. She does the same old club moves. ? shake, weave shaking. Beyonce is just a girl with rythym. You could find a big ? braud in the club dancing EXACTLY like Beyonce, ? , maybe even betta. Aaliyah was more diverse and smooth with it. She be moonwalkin, poplockin, gliding across the stage and ? . Like she could do that freestyle type ? , you know? Beyonce can't. If im not mistaken, aaliyah also went to school for dancing, so I think homegirl died before we saw her show all her talents.

Beyonce may be a better singer, but you cant forget that Beyonce actually lived past the age of 22 and had time to grow with her voice, you know? Aaliyah died before she mastered her voice. Remember in Destiny's Child? Beyonce wasn't no Whitney Houston at that time either.
  • baller2500
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Aaliyah = Ashanti = Ciara = Keri Hilson = Rihanna

none of them are powerhouse singers

Aaliyah couldn't hit a hi-note if her life depended on it so to say she is superior to Beyonce is ?

but Aaliyah has more charisma than anyone I jus named

but to say Aaliyah is better than Beyonce is like sayin that Aaliyah is on the same playin field as Whitney, Mariah, Alicia, Mary J. Blige which jus isn't true

I don't believe Aaliyah's voice was more powerful than Keyshia Coles or Monica's

as far as singin range she was slightly better than Chili from TLC

but this is all jus my opinion and what my ears tell me

Bra get the ? outta here wid that ?

Aaliyah sing better than all dem hoes

Beyonce wasn't the best singer when she was a teenager either, she didn't become good until she was like 26

Aaliyah died YOUNG. WHose to say that her voice wouldn't got better as she got older like Beyonce's did?

and ? don't act like she couldn't sing
  • Maalik
    Maalik Members Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Okay....I actually got time to post now....response in 2 minutes
  • lighthearted25
    lighthearted25 Members Posts: 1,307
    edited January 2011
    Options
    i honestly can't remember if i posted in this thread already so sorry if i double post. i just wanna comment on people sayin she isn't a powerhouse singer. that doesn't mean that she wasn't a good singer. im a fan of not only powerhouses but voices that come from the heart. aaliyah had that. her voice was soft and beautiful. she had charisma, she could dance and act, and not beyonce type acting either, plus she didn't give off that diva attitude that so many stars today seem to have. i think she would've been big today, the good ones always die young.

this is one of my fav youtube videos of her singing
  • Maalik
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I'mma break this ? down in 4 Categories...

I. Popularity:

Aaliyah was a star from the moment she debuted. She came out at 15 with a hot ass album. She accomplished more than alot of artists do before her death at 22. She was ready for stardom from the get go. She was the princess of Hip Hop & R&B. Mary J. Blige was the Queen. She just had a way of combining silky, smooth R&B with enough Hip Hop swag that dude's could nod along to & still made it pop enough to be accepted mainstream.

Beyonce was 23 before she striked out on her own. She needed to be prepped for 6 years with Destiny's Child (97-03) before she had enough confidence to go solo. One ? , ? secret people pretend to forget is Bey needed a shitload of cosigns at first to insure that she'd blow. I definitely remember the anxiety people felt about whether or not Beyonce could do it on her own. Her first single featured Jay-Z, who was hot as ? at the time. Her second single featured Sean Paul, who was hot back in the early 2000s. Her third single had an Usher cameo who was blazing at the time with Confessions going Diamond. On the other hand, Aaliyah's first 4 singles, featured only herself, no other popular artists at the time, making her own way. Today.....Bey is the queen of Urban Pop. I give her congrats. People just tend to forget she had alot of help.

II. Sales:

Aaliyah's sold roughly 24-32 Million records worldwide. Beyonce's sold 100 Million records worldwide (30 Million as a solo artist apart from Destiny's Child). Similar numbers basically.

"Age Ain't Nothing but a Number" - 3x Platinum in United States. Sold 74,000 records first week.
    "One in a Million" - 3.7x Platinum in United States. 40,800 records first week.
    "Aaliyah" - 2.95x Platinum in United States. 190,000 records first week.

Anyone who feels Aaliyah's 3rd album meant she was falling off was sadly, sadly mistaken. She had her highest first week numbers with that album. Throughout her career, she was always a slow seller. She never had high first week numbers. Her album was always grinded & worked throughout the year, picking up steam with multiple singles. She sold even better outside America.

III. Musical & Career Impact:

Aaliyah's discography ? on Beyonce's. Bey makes microwave music. Music that fills the clubs & excites the industry for the short term but, no one will listen to that ? later on. Aaliyah still had music that moved in the clubs but, her music felt more real. I still listen to Aaliyah's ? & it still feels sooooooo relevant. I'll put 4 of their hottest songs & you tell me who sounds more "temporary" out the two. Beyonce also oversaturates the market. Bey just now took a break from the muthafuckin TV screen. Aaliyah allowed time in between her albums to let the music sink in.

Aaliyah - Are That You Somebody

Beyonce - Crazy in Love
    Aaliyah - I Don't Wanna
    Beyonce - Single Ladies
    Aaliyah - One in a Million
    Beyonce - Irreplaceable
    Aaliyah - Try Again
    Beyonce - Baby Boy

I feel Aaliyah's music more. ? was the perfect blend of Hip Hop & R&B....besides what Mary J. Blige & Lauryn Hill was doing. Its not even close to me. I can listen to some of Aaliyah's ? forever. Concerning Hollywood...both chicks could barely act but, Aaliyah was more of a natural than Beyonce. Aaliyah could've gotten better with an acting coach. I just believed Aaliyah more as an actor than I did Bey & her career would've got a big upstart with the role she got in "The Matrix"

000RMD_Aaliyah_016.jpg
    000RMD_Aaliyah_035.jpg
    Ali-Larter-and-Beyonce-Kn-001.jpg

IV. Dance & Singing Ability:

Beyonce can dance. Aaliyah can dance. No beef. Beyonce's a better singer. Aaliyah made better material. No beef. I'm sure Aaliyah's voice would've got better as she got older, seeing as she died at 22. I'd listen to a singer with an above average voice & amazing songs over a singer with an excellent voice & ? club anthems.

Closing:

Beyonce would've probably still became an Icon. I cant dismiss her accomplishments...but, Aaliyah would've still been doing her thing. Kinda like Alicia Keys but, bigger. In a sense that she wouldn't have been a World Icon on every Magazine but, everytime she dropped an album, it would've sold extremely well. Aaliyah would've slowly transitioned into Hollywood. I'd choose Aaliyah over Beyonce everyday. Shawty was Hip Hop's princess...yall need not forget that.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQSuZx8Ov4OqfEeOFGrxmN_XMj-7-RsdVBmxmc01OdAcwB-3DPymA&t=1

I wrote alot but, I was bored. Sue me.
  • baller2500
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Maalik wrote: »
    I'mma break this ? down in 4 Categories...

I. Popularity:

Aaliyah was a star from the moment she debuted. She came out at 15 with a hot ass album. She accomplished more than alot of artists do before her death at 22. She was ready for stardom from the get go. She was the princess of Hip Hop & R&B. Mary J. Blige was the Queen. She just had a way of combining silky, smooth R&B with enough Hip Hop swag that dude's could nod along to & still made it pop enough to be accepted mainstream.

Beyonce was 23 before she striked out on her own. She needed to be prepped for 6 years with Destiny's Child (97-03) before she had enough confidence to go solo. One ? , ? secret people pretend to forget is Bey needed a shitload of cosigns at first to insure that she'd blow. I definitely remember the anxiety people felt about whether or not Beyonce could do it on her own. Her first single featured Jay-Z, who was hot as ? at the time. Her second single featured Sean Paul, who was hot back in the early 2000s. Her third single had an Usher cameo who was blazing at the time with Confessions going Diamond. On the other hand, Aaliyah's first 4 singles, featured only herself, no other popular artists at the time, making her own way. Today.....Bey is the queen of Urban Pop. I give her congrats. People just tend to forget she had alot of help.

II. Sales:

Aaliyah's sold roughly 24-32 Million records worldwide. Beyonce's sold 100 Million records worldwide (30 Million as a solo artist apart from Destiny's Child). Similar numbers basically.

"Age Ain't Nothing but a Number" - 3x Platinum in United States. Sold 74,000 records first week.
    "One in a Million" - 3.7x Platinum in United States. 40,800 records first week.
    "Aaliyah" - 2.95x Platinum in United States. 190,000 records first week.

Anyone who feels Aaliyah's 3rd album meant she was falling off was sadly, sadly mistaken. She had her highest first week numbers with that album. Throughout her career, she was always a slow seller. She never had high first week numbers. Her album was always grinded & worked throughout the year, picking up steam with multiple singles. She sold even better outside America.

III. Musical & Career Impact:

Aaliyah's discography ? on Beyonce's. Bey makes microwave music. Music that fills the clubs & excites the industry for the short term but, no one will listen to that ? later on. Aaliyah still had music that moved in the clubs but, her music felt more real. I still listen to Aaliyah's ? & it still feels sooooooo relevant. I'll put 4 of their hottest songs & you tell me who sounds more "temporary" out the two. Beyonce also oversaturates the market. Bey just now took a break from the muthafuckin TV screen. Aaliyah allowed time in between her albums to let the music sink in.

Aaliyah - Are That You Somebody

Beyonce - Crazy in Love
    Aaliyah - I Don't Wanna
    Beyonce - Single Ladies
    Aaliyah - One in a Million
    Beyonce - Irreplaceable
    Aaliyah - Try Again
    Beyonce - Baby Boy

I feel Aaliyah's music more. ? was the perfect blend of Hip Hop & R&B....besides what Mary J. Blige & Lauryn Hill was doing. Its not even close to me. I can listen to some of Aaliyah's ? forever. Concerning Hollywood...both chicks could barely act but, Aaliyah was more of a natural than Beyonce. Aaliyah could've gotten better with an acting coach. I just believed Aaliyah more as an actor than I did Bey & her career would've got a big upstart with the role she got in "The Matrix"

000RMD_Aaliyah_016.jpg
    000RMD_Aaliyah_035.jpg
    Ali-Larter-and-Beyonce-Kn-001.jpg

IV. Dance & Singing Ability:

Beyonce can dance. Aaliyah can dance. No beef. Beyonce's a better singer. Aaliyah made better material. No beef. I'm sure Aaliyah's voice would've got better as she got older, seeing as she died at 22. I'd listen to a singer with an above average voice & amazing songs over a singer with an excellent voice & ? club anthems.

Closing:

Beyonce would've probably still became an Icon. I cant dismiss her accomplishments...but, Aaliyah would've still been doing her thing. Kinda like Alicia Keys but, bigger. In a sense that she wouldn't have been a World Icon on every Magazine but, everytime she dropped an album, it would've sold extremely well. Aaliyah would've slowly transitioned into Hollywood. I'd choose Aaliyah over Beyonce everyday. Shawty was Hip Hop's princess...yall need not forget that.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQSuZx8Ov4OqfEeOFGrxmN_XMj-7-RsdVBmxmc01OdAcwB-3DPymA&t=1

I wrote alot but, I was bored. Sue me.

you spoke the truth bra. *applauds*
  • Mvpbrodie93
    edited February 2011
    Options
    On straight up vocal ability, theres ALOT of people thats better
  • baller2500
    edited February 2011
    Options
    On straight up vocal ability, theres ALOT of people thats better

same could be said for Beyonce as well, or any vocalist for that matter.
  • Mvpbrodie93
    edited February 2011
    Options
    i like one in a million the album tho, but Beyonce just a better singer, and alisha keys too
  • Maalik
    edited February 2011
    Options
    I pretty much said everything I wanted to say...

Beyonce can have the better voice. Just know you're comparing a 30 year old Beyonce to a 22 year old Aaliyah. Compare their voices from 1997-2001, when Beyonce was closer to Aaliyah's age & with DC to get an accurate comparison. You can't be comparing a star who's been at the superstar level, getting superstar training for 8 years to a chick who died at 22.

And even with that, almost none of her songs were better. I just think about all the material Aaliyah would've made. From 2000-2010....every Timberland beat or song would've went to her. All of Future Sex Love Sounds would've went to Aaliyah bruh.
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    she woulda testified in the r kelly trial and sent that dude to jail
  • baller2500
    edited February 2011
    Options
    i like one in a million the album tho, but Beyonce just a better singer, and alisha keys too

Alicia Keys is one of the most overrated singers in the last 10 years. Horrible tone, and she strains.
  • Ishi
    Ishi Members Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Who knows but I still rock to 4 page letter........(Foreal)
  • floacist
    floacist Members Posts: 32 ✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    I swear this topic is brought up a million times everywhere.