Scarface - Tony vs Manolo Right or Wrong

Options

Comments

• Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    DarkRaiden wrote: »
    Tony's only wrong cause he overreacted a little bit.

lol @ "A LITTLE BIT"
  • lighthearted25
    lighthearted25 Members Posts: 1,307
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Yall keep referring to Manny's player ways but you didn't see him wifing up anyone except Gina. It was painfully obvious he actually loved her and vice versa. Tony was too coked up to realize though. He deserved to die after that ? .
  • HustleThaDon
    HustleThaDon Members Posts: 28,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    ocelot wrote: »
    Yall the same ? that think Michael shouldn't have killed Fredo too huh?

2 different situations
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Everybody knows that De Palma included Gina as Tony's incestuous love interest. He said it on one of those scarface DVDs
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    ? is a helluva drug

I think people are missing this point. Tony was coked up and acted on impulse when he did what he did. When he came to his senses he regretted what he did which not ironically led to him getting even more coked up.

Manolo set himself up for that though. He knew how hot headed Tony was. He also knew that Tony would have a real problem with that relationship. Tony made that perfectly clear. It's one thing to find out your homeboy is messing with your sister. It's something completely to find her just chillin at his crib basically proving that he's been doing it behind your back after you specifically told him not to go there. Let's not act like that isn't a betrayal.
  • ysl313
    ysl313 Members Posts: 9,866 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    ocelot wrote: »
    But it goes back to do you want your kid sister part of that life... To know that there's a higher chance of her husband getting killed
    What if she gets kidnapped by Sosa and tortured to death... Can tony live with the guilt of knowing he let the one he loved get into that life?
    To much risk... To little reward

clearly he couldnt live with the pain of realizing due to his coked up decisions he killed his best friend and ended up getting his own sister killed, right?
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Mikko_ wrote: »
    I think him killing Manolo symbolized that he was at the point of no return. The Soprano's used that same theme when they had Tony ? Christopher. They were on a downward spiral beyond redemption.

Yeah, for him to ? his best friend like that, and not even blink...it was the end for Tony...there was no coming back from that...but Tony was more wrong...Gina could have brought home the President and he would have freaked out
  • blackrain
    edited November 2011
    Options
    I think people are missing this point. Tony was coked up and acted on impulse when he did what he did. When he came to his senses he regretted what he did which not ironically led to him getting even more coked up.

Manolo set himself up for that though. He knew how hot headed Tony was. He also knew that Tony would have a real problem with that relationship. Tony made that perfectly clear. It's one thing to find out your homeboy is messing with your sister. It's something completely to find her just chillin at his crib basically proving that he's been doing it behind your back after you specifically told him not to go there. Let's not act like that isn't a betrayal.

she wasn't just chilling though...they had just gotten married and were going to tell Tony when he got back...
  • ysl313
    ysl313 Members Posts: 9,866 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »
    Yeah, for him to ? his best friend like that, and not even blink...it was the end for Tony...there was no coming back from that...but Tony was more wrong...Gina could have brought home the President and he would have freaked out

exactly
    in a way its noble to care about your sister but in a bigger picture it was insanity when he mixed his feelings with coke and made decisions that ended up leading all three to a death

never get high on your own supply
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options

What do you mean he didn't blink? The dude went and tried to drown his sorrows in a mountain of coke. Did you miss the part when he sat there and kept asking himself why he did that? Tony was just an impulsive dude. He acted without really thinking the situation through and then afterwards he regretted it.

And you're acting like Tony had a problem with any guy talking to his sister. That's not the case though. Before Manolo, he only attacked one guy for messing with his sister, and the dude was in the drug game. Tony didn't want his sister around anyone in that life. Tony also had a couple very good reasons to not want Manny with his sister. For one Manny came off as a womanizer and two Manny was in the drug game too.
    she wasn't just chilling though...they had just gotten married and were going to tell Tony when he got back...

Tony didn't know that. I was talking about how the situation looked from his standpoint. Come on dog be real, how you gonna just up and marry your homeboy's sister and he doesn't even know ya'll are dating. That's foul.
  • gns
    gns Members Posts: 21,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Mikko_ wrote: »
    I think him killing Manolo symbolized that he was at the point of no return. The Soprano's used that same theme when they had Tony ? Christopher. They were on a downward spiral beyond redemption.

dam...y did tony ? chris?
  • blackrain
    edited November 2011
    Options
    What do you mean he didn't blink? The dude went and tried to drown his sorrows in a mountain of coke. Did you miss the part when he sat there and kept asking himself why he did that? Tony was just an impulsive dude. He acted without really thinking the situation through and then afterwards he regretted it.

And you're acting like Tony had a problem with any guy talking to his sister. That's not the case though. Before Manolo, he only attacked one guy for messing with his sister, and the dude was in the drug game. Tony didn't want his sister around anyone in that life. Tony also had a couple very good reasons to not want Manny with his sister. For one Manny came off as a womanizer and two Manny was in the drug game too.

Tony didn't know that. I was talking about how the situation looked from his standpoint. Come on dog be real, how you gonna just up and marry your homeboy's sister and he doesn't even know ya'll are dating. That's foul.

I'm not saying Manny was right in how he went about what he did, but come on..my best friend tells me he's in love with my sister, I know he's a good dude, and my reaction is to ? him? Nah...the drugs had TOny's mind warped to the point that everybody was against him...he didn't trust anyone...I mean Manny was his brother damn near...they literally rose from the bottom together...Tony didn't do that ? on his own...at the very least hear him out...let him explain what was going on with him and Gina...
  • MeTaL
    MeTaL Members Posts: 6,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    I'm not saying Manny was right in how he went about what he did, but come on..my best friend tells me he's in love with my sister, I know he's a good dude, and my reaction is to ? him? Nah...the drugs had TOny's mind warped to the point that everybody was against him...he didn't trust anyone...I mean Manny was his brother damn near...they literally rose from the bottom together...Tony didn't do that ? on his own...at the very least hear him out...let him explain what was going on with him and Gina...

Yeah..Tony was snorting that ? like it was ? ..That one of real reasons why he went and ? the ? up.. You right..It went to kthe point that he didn't trust anyone..Like the part where he suppose ? that news anchor.. ? started bugging out when he had wife and child..The ? he was dealing with didn't even tell him..So he felt betrayed..
  • gifted
    gifted Members Posts: 684 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    There are so many themes in that classic. Yes it's about drugs, gangsters but it's also about principles, family, immigration, US life in the 80s, the price of power/fame, the irony of life.

Manolo was definitely a player, a gangster and Tony's best mate and second in command so for all those reasons, he might even be the last person he'd want his little 'angelic' sister to be with. It's both overprotective, almost incestous and irrational. The coke, power and paranoia made it even more irrational. Once Tony felt abandoned and betrayed by his best friend and sister, after warning them both), it was the last straw to a man already on the brink. Hence the downfall that came afterward.
  • SamuraiSippy
    SamuraiSippy Members Posts: 1
    Options
    I think everyone missed the actual movie...

Manolo wasn't running the Empire like Tony wanted him to while Tony was in New York. Manny was suppose to have been in the mansion. Had he done so, Tony may have been able to get out of the Sosa mess instead of being ambushed.

Manny's deals ended up getting Tony in trouble with the feds. Yes Tony has his fault in being directly involved with the sting when as the head, he needs to be at least 1-2 degrees removed but the deal was still started by Manny.

So that's already two strikes. You screwed up on the deal and then he did not listen to his Boss he a potential live or die event.

Gina was simply the final straw. Tony told him not to look at her and certainly not have any relationship with her. Manny also was a womanizer who flirted with many women. Manny even explained to Gina how Tony was in an effort to explain what he, Tony, wanted his sister to be successful, not be associated with organized crime. The guy who took Gina on a date at the Cubana Club was a Coke dealer which ? Tony off just as much as the guy touching his sister's ass like she was ? and nearly got ? in the bathroom like a ? .

Now, I think the way Tony went about all this on drugs was bad and he certainly had a reaction. Tony should of responded to Manny and Gina about Sosa, give them money and tell them to get lost.

Considering all above, Manny could of been killed. Same way as Fredo for getting Michael and his wife nearly killed in the Godfather 2.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I hate to be the ? but the biggest thing here is TONY DID NOT TRUST MANNY AT ALL.

That is the bottom line, there was a whole scene about it.

There are no ifs ands or buts. Tony told that ? from jump to leave his sister alone.

Was Tony incestuous? Yes.
    Was Tony coked out his mind? Yes.

But Tony was clear as ? when he told Manny not to ? with his sister.

Now let's put it into context.

Manny is ? hoes out left and right, he starts in on Gina and Tony kiboshes that ? . It should have been dead right there.

Manny lets Gina manipulate him so they start ? ...BEHIND TONY'S BACK.

Now look at all the pieces:
    1. Womanizing friend goes behind your back to smash your sister.
    2. You already warned him not to.
    3. You already told that ? you don't trust him.
    4. He already knows you paranoid and drugged out of your mind.

At the end of the day Manny earned that bullet. He earned it for not standing up to Tony, he earned for sneaking around behind his back, he earned ot for not heeding his warning and most of all he earned it for letting a ? pull his card to even get that far.

If you can't trust a ? ...more than likely you will have to ? him eventually. This is all about trust, all the other variables are not as important. If Tony trusted Manny then Manny would have lived. But more than that Manny proved...by ? with Gina behind Tony's back that he couldn't be trusted...thats why he died.

• Melanin_Enriched
    Melanin_Enriched Members Posts: 22,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    All i know is that tony sister was a ?
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    manolo.gif

He would of been straight if he never had that conversation
  • KNiGHTS
    KNiGHTS Members Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Tony was wrong all day.

It shocked me people didn't get the ? thing from jump. It's a scene where he wigs out at Manny or somebody for talking about her or something, right? It's been years, but I think they were in the car after he goes to visit her and the mom.
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    manny even ? up in the beginning when tony and thhem got ambushed.. yea he came in the hotel EVENTUALLY, but the first dude ain't have to get chopped up...

manny was a habitual ? up....never on point......
  •   Colin$mackabi$h
    Colin$mackabi$h Members Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Trick question, it was gina fault....
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    All the ? who say it was all Tony fault the reason my circle so small
  • nickel-us P
    nickel-us P Members Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Smh @ tony being incestuous. The man had morals. Everyone he saw with his sis were scumbags
  • Maximus Rex
    Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Smh @ tony being incestuous. The man had morals. Everyone he saw with his sis were scumbags

What everybody seems to forget is that

MPW-58950

was a remake of

Scarface-1.jpg

So the remake had a lot of similarities to the original, a protagonist named Tony. A rags to riches gangsta come up story. This

Scarface+02.jpg

world.png?w=516&h=291

a7f41652164bf99c10f1a78cebc40f91.640x640x1.jpg

dczltz.jpg

Tony poppin' his best potna for ? with his sister, and yes, the remake included Tony's irrational and incestuous love for his sister.

Another Hawks decision was to turn the leading gangster's affection for his sister into a repressed, unexplored, and unarticulated form of ? so that the gangster himself does not understand the power and shape of his feelings for her. As Hawks told his chief writer for the film, Ben Hecht, the intention was to get the Borgia family into Chicago, and the script for the film made explicit references to ? and the Borgias (scenes either deleted by the censors or removed by Hawks himself, who preferred to give less away). The ? motif underlies the plot of the film, as the leading gangster, Tony Camonte, kills his best friend, ? Rinaldo, because he believes ? is sleeping with his sister. SCARFACE: THE SHAME OF A NATION,http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1G2-3406800783.html

I guess because some dudes like and wanted to be Tony Montana, that Tony wanting to ? his sister would have crashed their fantasy as it concerns there love and admiration for the character. It's one thing to like and admire murderous, psychotic, narcissistic, cokehead, but to admire a murderous, psychotic, narcisstic cokehead who was on some nasty ass "Jamie and Cersei Lannister," ? sex ? is completely different.

• L3NU
    L3NU Members Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    mryounggun wrote: »
    Things that could make me ? by best friend:

1. Him trying to ? me and me killing him in self-defense.
    2. Him trying to ? a family member and me killing him to defend them

...that's bout it. Merck him cause he ? my sister? That's weak. Tony was a weak ass ? in that regard.

Damn what kind of best friends you got??