would an nba allstar from 1948 make the league now?

Options
Mdizzle9000
Mdizzle9000 Members, Writer Posts: 8,319 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2010 in From the Cheap Seats
take george mikan or 1 of them and put them in a time machine, and let them try out for an nba team, would they make it or is the competition really that much better now?

Comments

• ThaChozenWun
    ThaChozenWun Members Posts: 9,390
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Probably, As far as still being an all star now hell no. I dont think half the guys who were stars in the 70s and 80s could make the all star team now. The league is too fast and medicine and eating right has turned every sport into guys that are 215+ and able to run faster than a average ? whos 5'6 and 150lbs. Not to mention the further back you go the more Centers and PF's you have that are like 6'5-6'6 and ? .

Think about it, for example at SF You’ve got Pippen, Dr. J, Dominique Wilkins, Rick Barry, James Worthy, John Havlicek, Bernard King, Alex English, Chris Mullin, Elgin Baylor … None of these guys could keep up with ? like Lebron and Melo
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Probably, As far as still being an all star now hell no. I dont think half the guys who were stars in the 70s and 80s could make the all star team now. The league is too fast and medicine and eating right has turned every sport into guys that are 215+ and able to run faster than a average ? whos 5'6 and 150lbs. Not to mention the further back you go the more Centers and PF's you have that are like 6'5-6'6 and ? .

Think about it, for example at SF You’ve got Pippen, Dr. J, Dominique Wilkins, Rick Barry, James Worthy, John Havlicek, Bernard King, Alex English, Chris Mullin, Elgin Baylor … None of these guys could keep up with ? like Lebron and Melo

i made a thread kinda like this called michael jordan was the luckiest player, where the premise was that the overall talent in todays nba is better than what jordan had to face, i got crucified for that lol.
  • Mdizzle9000
    edited May 2010
    Options
    jamacia wrote: »
    i made a thread kinda like this called michael jordan was the luckiest player, where the premise was that the overall talent in todays nba is better than what jordan had to face, i got crucified for that lol.

i wouldnt even try it with the jordan stans here lol but i understand what you're saying, i was saying something similar before, like what if jordan was drafted onj a team with a dude like shaq, or what if kobe played for a ? team early on, how would the numbers look?
  • Chef_Taylor
    Chef_Taylor Members Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    i think if wilt chamberlain was playin today he'd average a triple double almost every night... in todays game centers are soft.
  • PanchoYoSancho
    PanchoYoSancho Members Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    jamacia wrote: »

I Michael Jordan played a decade ago. This thread is based on guys who played half a century ago.
  • ThaChozenWun
    ThaChozenWun Members Posts: 9,390
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I Michael Jordan played a decade ago. This thread is based on guys who played half a century ago.

Point is when MJ was playing early on guys were far under his athletic level. You put MJ in todays game and all that high flying ? wont make close to the difference it made then. His J wasnt great coming into the league either. His work ethic was so great he woulda been great no matter what but MJ coming into the league post 1995 as a rookie and his name aint what it is now.
  • Mdizzle9000
    edited May 2010
    Options
    doubletee wrote: »
    i think if wilt chamberlain was playin today he'd average a triple double almost every night... in todays game centers are soft.

na hes too used to playing against little white dudes

but he'd be a star 25 and 12 guy after getting used to the competition i think
  • Chef_Taylor
    edited May 2010
    Options
    na hes too used to playing against little white dudes

but he'd be a star 25 and 12 guy after getting used to the competition i think

more like 35 and 15...dude was a beast on the boards
  • Mdizzle9000
    edited May 2010
    Options
    more like 35 and 15...dude was a beast on the boards

look at who he was grabbin boards over, there was few dudes gettin 20rpg come on...and 35ppg for a center in todays game? you buggin and not considerin who he played against
  • Chef_Taylor
    edited May 2010
    Options
    look at who he was grabbin boards over, there was few dudes gettin 20rpg come on...and 35ppg for a center in todays game? you buggin and not considerin who he played against

look at the centers now...aint nobody on wilts level far as rebounding and scoring.
  • NCswag
    NCswag Members Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    No ? . That's like comparing Ulysses Grant to Barack Obama; of course Obama is better.
  • Mdizzle9000
    edited May 2010
    Options
    look at the centers now...aint nobody on wilts level far as rebounding and scoring.

shaq couldnt get 35 ppg in his prime so i doubt wilt could. i do think shaq couldve scored 100 back in the day though
  • Chef_Taylor
    edited May 2010
    Options
    shaq couldnt get 35 ppg in his prime so i doubt wilt could. i do think shaq couldve scored 100 back in the day though

wilt chamberlain>>>>>shaq
  • PanchoYoSancho
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Hakeem>>>>>both
  • Mdizzle9000
    edited May 2010
    Options
    wilt chamberlain>>>>>shaq

pus shaq in his prime in a time machine and let him face wilt in his prime, shaq would body him and score 50 that game
  • Chef_Taylor
    edited May 2010
    Options
    pus shaq in his prime in a time machine and let him face wilt in his prime, shaq would body him and score 50 that game

a no free throw shooting traveling azz young shaq???ROTFLMAO!
  • PanchoYoSancho
    edited May 2010
    Options

Shaq's a better Free Throw shooter than Wilt was.
  • Hamburgers25
    Hamburgers25 Members Posts: 11
    edited May 2010
    Options

Wilt couldn't shoot free throws for ? either, but he'd definitely beast on Shaq imo.
  • Chef_Taylor
    edited May 2010
    Options
    a true center wilt ,bill russel,l and hakeem was that shaq was one dimensional player.
  • Mdizzle9000
    edited May 2010
    Options
    a true center wilt ,bill russel,l and hakeem was that shaq was one dimensional player.

bill russel had no offensive game he would be like ben wallace nowadays, dude is highly overrated for being on teams with so many great players
  • Chef_Taylor
    edited May 2010
    Options
    ayo dizzle! wilt>>>>shaq remember that cuz
  • Mdizzle9000
    edited May 2010
    Options
    ayo dizzle! wilt>>>>shaq remember that cuz

shaq=GOAT center
  • So ILL
    So ILL Members Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Probably, but maybe not. The game has changed so much since 1948.....
  • Wishbone Jones
    Wishbone Jones Members Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    wit>>>shaq>>>>>bradley
  • Chef_Taylor
    edited May 2010
    Options
    wilt would score 50 on shaq and then smash his wife after the game

wilt ftw