Official ATHEIST/AGNOSTIC THREAD

Options

Comments

• alissowack
    alissowack Members Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Reason having been produced naturally does not rob it of its soundness and value. The foundations of reason have nothing to do with a supernatural grand design unless you can explicitly show otherwise. You seem to just enjoy bloviating. THATS RIGHT BLOVIATING

Again, you are assuming I'm making a case for ? . It must be something in your DNA that causes you to react this way. If reasoning is a mindless natural process, then what makes it mindful? You want me to know that you are right and I am wrong...right? Then reason can't be reduced to a mindless natural process. Why argue your point if it is only "natural" for me to reject what you are saying? Hey...I'm getting this overwhelming sensation. I don't know why I want to know what bloviating means, but my body is restless; anxiety...must...know...what it means.
  • judahxulu
    judahxulu Members Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Why would our conversation have no ground to stand on simply because we were not magic'd into existence by a jealous ? ? We evolved to be tool users instead of fast swimmers or sharp-toothed fighters. As a result, we can coherently discuss even the most abstract of concepts. At least I can. I'm not sure about you.

lol how the ? do you make a connection between using tools and discussing abstract concepts? ? ? . u don't have to make ? up to justify being too dumb to understand you were created by something greater than yourself. be a man and disbelieve without all the tricknology.
  • judahxulu
    judahxulu Members Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    fiat_money wrote: »
    Ah, a derivative of the "I can't understand something, so it much be the work of a magical/supernatural being/entity." argument.

A timeless classic.

ibJXZ6.png

yawn. same ? you ? do with "science". neither side of u dumb ? knows what ure talking about. if at least ten of u religious or atheist ? did have as good a bead on reality as u think u do the world would be a much better place.
  • fiat_money
    fiat_money Members Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    judahxulu wrote: »
    yawn. same ? you ? do with "science". neither side of u dumb ? knows what ure talking about. if at least ten of u religious or atheist ? did have as good a bead on reality as u think u do the world would be a much better place.
    Ah, emotion-filled nonsensical generalizations and an "If I argue against science, I'm arguing against atheism." mentality.

Two more timeless classics.

ieaGNQ.png

ieeZlY.gif
  • Rock_Well
    Rock_Well Members Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    fiat_money wrote: »
    Ah, a derivative of the "I can't understand something, so it much be the work of a magical/supernatural being/entity." argument.

A timeless classic.

ibJXZ6.png

Not quite. You and i both can look at the universe, our world and all that is in it, and observe how much order there is. It's a shadow of someone standing off in the distance.... of some kind of grand intelligence that cannot be seen be is made apparent through their work.
  • fiat_money
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Not quite. You and i both can look at the universe, our world and all that is in it, and observe how much order there is...
    Well, since "order" is subjective, and I am not able to look at the entire universe or the entire Earth, the bolded is incorrect.

Seems you're moving on to the "I label that which I observe as 'perfect' or 'orderly', so it must be the work of a magical/supernatural being/entity." argument.

Another timeless classic.
  • @My_nameaintearl
    @My_nameaintearl Banned Users Posts: 2,609 ✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    judahxulu wrote: »
    lol how the ? do you make a connection between using tools and discussing abstract concepts?
    Ask a neuroscientist, they're the ones who made that discovery.
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    DoUwant2go2Heaven Members Posts: 10,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    "The faithless will be fully repaid for their ways, and the good man rewarded for his." Proverbs 14:14

Keep preaching my brother. The Lord bless you exceedingly. In Jesus name I pray. Amen!
  • And Step
    And Step Members Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Keeping consistent with his belief that citizens of the United States should be free from the government meddling in what religion they choose to practice, Mayor Bloomberg defended the group of atheists that are suing to prevent the September 11 Cross from being installed in the 9/11 memorial and museum at World Trade Center site. In his weekly radio address, Bloomberg said, "This group of atheists, they're free in our country to not believe and not practice, and we should defend their right to do that, just as we should defend individuals' rights to practice and to believe." The Mayor's right: we have to be tolerant of the atheists' deity, even if he happens to be Bill Maher.

The lawsuit, filed by the American Atheists, drew jeers because it alleged that the cross injured atheists by giving them "dyspepsia, symptoms of depression, headaches, anxiety, and mental pain and anguish." In fairness to the cross, it may just be the atheists' Zoloft talking. But Mayor Bloomberg urged the public to give the group a fair shake: "You've got to be careful in criticizing people. No. 1, they have a right to sue, and we'll see what the judge says." We look forward to the reasoned, civil debate that will surely arise from this lawsuit.

THEN

Mayor Michael Bloomberg on Friday defended the display of religious symbols, including the World Trade Center cross, at the 9/11 Memorial and Museum. In his weekly radio address, Bloomberg responded to a lawsuit filed by a group of atheists seeking to remove the WTC cross display from a memorial commemorating those who died in the Sept. 11 attacks.

While the New York City mayor said the atheists had a "right to sue," he explained why the inclusion of religious symbols at the 9/11 museum should be allowed. "A lot of people looked to religion for strength after the attack," said Bloomberg, who is named as one of the defendants in the suit filed by American Atheists. "My personal opinion is always been you shouldn't tell people what religion to practice or whether to practice a religion but you shouldn't also prevent people from practicing a religion they want in any ways they want."

He noted that other religious symbols, not just the WTC cross, would be on display at the 9/11 Memorial and Museum. They include a Star of David cut from a piece of steel from the World Trade Center rubble, a Bible fused with a piece of steel found during the recovery effort and a Jewish prayer shawl.

"This influenced people. It gave them strength," said Mayor Bloomberg. "In a museum, you want to show things that impacted people's behavior back then even if you don't think it was right. It's history. Museums are for history and to teach people by example, well this is what people did back then and you are free to make your own decision."

Bloomberg is the Goat Jewish Politician, next to Ed Rendell.

Where do you all weigh in?
  • Jonas.dini
    Jonas.dini Confirm Email Posts: 2,507 ✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    As an atheist and a secular person (but generally not a secularist), I wouldn't have picked this battle personally, but of course they have the right to sue.

Far as bloomberg, it's politics, he's trying to have it both ways.
  • @My_nameaintearl
    edited December 2011
    Options
    It blows my mind that people will worship a ? that they believe caused things like this to happen so people can learn some kind of lesson. What lesson is there to learn from seeing a little girl crushed by a tree branch on Christmas? His ways are not our ways, but what the ? type of ways are they? Psychopathic? Sadistic? Careless?

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2017093487_poweroutages26m.html

A blast of rainy, windy weather blew through the Puget Sound region Sunday, killing a 9-year-old ? Whidbey Island and cutting power to thousands of people.

The girl, Tobiah Leonard, died when a tree section, estimated to be at least 15 feet long and nearly one foot across, crashed onto the roof of the Ford Explorer in which she was riding, Washington State Patrol Trooper Keith Leary said.

"The wind just snapped that piece of the tree off," Leary said. "It's just a very, very tragic accident — it's not something anybody could have avoided."

CPR was tried, Leary said, but the girl died at the scene.

Four other people in the truck — a woman who was driving, a man in the front passenger seat, and 18-year-old and 12-year-old girls — were taken to Whidbey General Hospital with what initially were believed to be minor injuries. However, the man later was airlifted to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle for neck and back injuries.

The five people were believed to be family members, but Leary said he couldn't confirm that. They were on their way from Langley to a Christmas gathering in the south part of the island when the accident happened in the 7500 block of Bailey Road, near Cultus Bay.
  • Melanin_Enriched
    Melanin_Enriched Members Posts: 22,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    trees happen ? , blame a ? that planted it.
  • Melanin_Enriched
    Melanin_Enriched Members Posts: 22,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Also, foh ktulu, we know you don't have any feelings.
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Also in Nigeria, 25 died.

? has a twisted sense of humor.
  • fiat_money
    edited December 2011
    Options
    1. Sees thread title.
    2. Reads she was killed by a tree.
    3. "Please be a Christmas tree, please be a Christmas tree, please be a Christmas tree."
    4. Clicks link.
    5. Views article.
    previousarrowActive.gifPREV 1 of 3 NEXT nextarrowActive.gif
    2017096341.jpg
    TROOPER KEITH LEARY / WASHINGTON STATE PATROL

Windy weather on Christmas Day claimed the life of a 9-year-old ? Whidbey Island when a large tree branch, estimated at about a foot in diameter, fell on a Ford Explorer just before 1 p.m. in the 7600 block of Bailey Road in Clinton, Island County, said Trooper Keith Leary.

6. RAPTURE.gif
  • Jesus Jackson
    Jesus Jackson Members Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Derrick Rose for PRESIDENT!!!
  • BobOblah
    BobOblah Members Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Man Dressed as Santa Kills Family of Six on Christmas day:
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203391104577122873933879132.html

yea..... gods plan.........
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    It blows my mind that people will worship a ? that they believe caused things like this to happen so people can learn some kind of lesson. What lesson is there to learn from seeing a little girl crushed by a tree branch on Christmas? His ways are not our ways, but what the ? type of ways are they? Psychopathic? Sadistic? Careless?

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2017093487_poweroutages26m.html

A blast of rainy, windy weather blew through the Puget Sound region Sunday, killing a 9-year-old ? Whidbey Island and cutting power to thousands of people.

The girl, Tobiah Leonard, died when a tree section, estimated to be at least 15 feet long and nearly one foot across, crashed onto the roof of the Ford Explorer in which she was riding, Washington State Patrol Trooper Keith Leary said.

"The wind just snapped that piece of the tree off," Leary said. "It's just a very, very tragic accident — it's not something anybody could have avoided."

CPR was tried, Leary said, but the girl died at the scene.

Four other people in the truck — a woman who was driving, a man in the front passenger seat, and 18-year-old and 12-year-old girls — were taken to Whidbey General Hospital with what initially were believed to be minor injuries. However, the man later was airlifted to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle for neck and back injuries.

The five people were believed to be family members, but Leary said he couldn't confirm that. They were on their way from Langley to a Christmas gathering in the south part of the island when the accident happened in the 7500 block of Bailey Road, near Cultus Bay.

Not every thing that happens is part of gods plan it rains on the good and the bad .
  • fiat_money
    edited December 2011
    Options
    BobOblah wrote: »
    Man Dressed as Santa Kills Family of Six on Christmas day:
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203391104577122873933879132.html

yea..... gods plan.........
    This one is great.
  • Ishi
    Ishi Members Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Cold world a real cole world..
  • Ishi
    Ishi Members Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Ajackson17 wrote: »
    Death comes my ? , unavoidable unless you become immortal.

Highlander.gif
  • @My_nameaintearl
    edited December 2011
    Options
    zombie wrote: »
    Not every thing that happens is part of gods plan

So there are things ? doesn't know are going to happen? That means he's not omniscient. Your belief on this issue is not shared by most Christians.
  • @My_nameaintearl
    edited December 2011
    Options
    http://www.skepticmoney.com/i-was-an-atheist-raising-fundamentalist-kids-then-i-broke-the-cycle-of-religion-and-so-can-you/

Pretty long, so I won't copy/paste it. I think the author is right. Kids deserve to know the truth about logic and reason. Why hold off on teaching them about your worldview? Religion never ever does. In fact, religious people get upset when they're not allowed to indoctrinate other peoples' kids through public schools.
  • Plop Star
    Plop Star Members Posts: 8,833 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    im atheist but ill teach my kids to be christians.......

"you break that flat screen ? sending you to hell, hoobly hoobla"
  • @My_nameaintearl
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Plap Star wrote: »
    im atheist but ill teach my kids to be christians.......

That's interesting because it's the same situation the author was in. Give the article a quick read and tell us what you think.
    isayas_2 wrote:
    KTULU, this should be in the social lounge.
    Don't backseat mod, please. Let the moderators make these decisions themselves.
This discussion has been closed.