ESPN held Bernie Fine tape for 8 years!?!?

Options

Comments

• lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    ya boi g wrote: »
    I cosign aone post and this...........

A lot of the people up at ESPN are from those schools up there. Thats why a lot of those schools get more coverage than they should(especially in ? football), and you know they wont be to quick to make their schools look bad.

Ive really started to hate ESPN. I honestly hardly ever watch them anymore. They are to ? bias and have way to much damn influence. I really wish someone else would come along and really challenge them... I watch Fox Sports and NFL Network wayyyy more now.

Even Colin says it on his show sometimes that Syracuse and Uconn would receive 0 coverage if it weren't for ESPN being located so close to both schools and having tons of graduates from both schools working there. I mean we only see about 35 to 50 different analysts. imagine how many writers, camera men, make up artists, execs, etc.. came from Syracuse or uconn.

i watch a mixture of all. I really can't take the NFLN too much to be honest. it's all puppet talk over there. I think both stations have hired too many former athletes who all have biases towards certain teams and players. And NBC is supposed to dropping an all sports network but not sure exactly when. I can't stand ESPN's NBA coverage.
  • GettinLo
    GettinLo Members Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Well I know that Syracuse is considered to be the MECCA of Braodcast journalism as far as colleges go... So yeah that makes total sense.
  • rage
    rage Members Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    The police knew about the tapes from the accused in 2002. They chose to do nothing as well because there was no corroborating evidence to move forward with charges. ESPN did nothing wrong in not airing the tapes or running a story. They would have opened themselves up to a MASSIVE libel suit if they did.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2066909/Bernie-Fine-fired-Syracuse-basketball-coachs-wife-watched-husband-molest-Bobby-Davis.html

She is also said to have revealed that she slept with one of the victims, once he turned 18 - as it emerged that the tapes had been in the hands of police and ESPN for nearly ten years and no action was taken.

• GettinLo
    GettinLo Members Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    matt- wrote: »
    the boy made the accusations years ago. 8 years ago they received corroborating evidence that it took place. the phone call was the corroborating evidence. lets not act like ESPN has ever put alot of detail into verifying voices

Capt Janks is funny as hell... He just pranked CNN as one of those kids that was arrested in Egypt.
  • tru_m.a.c
    tru_m.a.c Members Posts: 9,091 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    rage wrote: »
    The police knew about the tapes from the accused in 2002. They chose to do nothing as well because there was no corroborating evidence to move forward with charges. ESPN did nothing wrong in not airing the tapes or running a story. They would have opened themselves up to a MASSIVE libel suit if they did.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2066909/Bernie-Fine-fired-Syracuse-basketball-coachs-wife-watched-husband-molest-Bobby-Davis.html

She is also said to have revealed that she slept with one of the victims, once he turned 18 - as it emerged that the tapes had been in the hands of police and ESPN for nearly ten years and no action was taken.

lol so let me get this straight....the police had a victim, they had evidence, but they could only do something if a second victim came to light

hahaha ? , so the police have just verified that you cannot legally be a ? if its a one time occurrence

oh and now we're getting conflicting reports, because espn and the accuser specifically said the school never knew about the tapes, so that means the police and espn hid the tapes from the school during their own investigations??? fishy fishy fishy
  • rage
    edited November 2011
    Options
    tru_m.a.c wrote: »
    lol so let me get this straight....the police had a victim, they had evidence, but they could only do something if a second victim came to light

hahaha ? , so the police have just verified that you cannot legally be a ? if its a one time occurrence

oh and now we're getting conflicting reports, because espn and the accuser specifically said the school never knew about the tapes, so that means the police and espn hid the tapes from the school during their own investigations??? fishy fishy fishy

What evidence did they have?
  • tru_m.a.c
    edited November 2011
    Options
    What evidence did they have?

the same evidence they have in every ? case

victim testimony
  • coop9889
    coop9889 Members Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options

victim testimony

That's not enough.

So every person out here crying ? /molestation automatically incriminates those they are accusing?
  • rage
    edited November 2011
    Options

victim testimony

Wrong........
  • tru_m.a.c
    edited November 2011
    Options
    coop9889 wrote: »
    That's not enough.

So every person out here crying ? /molestation automatically incriminates those they are accusing?

you see where I'm going with this don't you...........
  • tru_m.a.c
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Wrong........

what are you saying wrong about

are we reading the same details of the case
    The Huffington Post contacted ESPN to inquire about the network's coverage of the scandal, including the decision to initially withhold the tape recording. ESPN PR Director David Scott directed us to a series of questions and answers pertaining to the Fine story posted at ESPN Front Row, a website hosting press releases for the sports media company.

Asked by his own PR staff about the decision to hold back the audio tape for more than a week after the original report, ESPN Senior Vice President & Director of News Vince Doria cited the need to confirm that the female voice on the tape belonged to Laurie Fine.

When we had the audio in the past we had never been able to confirm that it was Laurie Fine. Part of it was we had no independent video of her and her voice - something we could look at and say, "Yes, that's her and yes, that appears to be her voice." This time around when we re-engaged on the story we did in fact have a video we found on-line of her serving a meal to Bernie and a number of young men who may or may not have been Syracuse players. In this video you could clearly hear her. This allowed us to submit the audio to a voice recognition expert, which we did last week.

how is this not the definition of lazy journalism.....they didn't look for an independent video of laurie fine until 2011, they just admitted it. At no point did they verify in 2002 when they had this tape that this was indeed laurie fine.

how is this being overlooked and brushed to the side
  • tru_m.a.c
    edited November 2011
    Options
    ESPN chose not to include the recording in the original "Outside The Lines" report on the allegations that aired Nov. 17 of this year.

Ten days after the initial "Outside The Lines" report, a third victim came forward to allege he had been molested by Fine. On that same day, ESPN aired the recording of Davis and Mrs. Fine. Within hours of ESPN airing the tape-recorded conversation, Syracuse University announced the firing of Bernie, who had previously been placed on administrative leave.

lol are we reading the same details??? thats more than mere coincidence
  • rage
    edited November 2011
    Options
    what are you saying wrong about

are we reading the same details of the case

how is this not the definition of lazy journalism.....they didn't look for an independent video of laurie fine until 2011, they just admitted it. At no point did they verify in 2002 when they had this tape that this was indeed laurie fine.

how is this being overlooked and brushed to the side

I dont understand why your twisting ? around to make it seem like ESPN didn't look for any video. They clearly said

When we had the audio in the past we had never been able to confirm that it was Laurie Fine. Part of it was we had no independent video of her and her voice - something we could look at and say, "Yes, that's her and yes, that appears to be her voice."

So in 2002 there was no video footage of Fine's wife for them to look at. Almost 10 years later they did find video of her speaking. Were they supposed to check for video of Laurie Fine speaking every year for 10 years??
  • rage
    edited November 2011
    Options
    lol are we reading the same details??? thats more than mere coincidence

So again your just engaging in conjecture.
  • tru_m.a.c
    edited November 2011
    Options
    So again your just engaging in conjecture.

what the ? are you talking about
    According to the Post-Standard, Laurie Fine even confirmed for the paper that it was her voice on the recording during an interview in February 2003 while suggesting that portions of the recording were unauthentic.

After ESPN aired the recording, her nephew Matt Govendo echoed those sentiments, telling CNN that the voice on the recording belonged to his aunt but reaffirming the accusation that segments of the recording were "all tampered with."

During his appearance on CNN with Anderson Cooper, Schwarz claimed that Davis was "stunned" by the accusation that he edited the audio tape. Considering Doria's statement about the audio provided by Davis, it seems that ESPN was far more concerned with Fine being the woman in the recording than the possibility that tape was doctored.

That ESPN and the Post-Standard had to choose how to handle the recording distinguishes those parties from Syracuse University and the Syracuse Police, neither of whom had been provided the tape. A spokesperson for Syracuse University admitted that they had not had access to the recorded when they performed their own investigation into Fine back in 2005. Likewise, Syracuse Police Chief Frank Fowler said this department had not been aware about the audio tape or the university's investigation until this month.
  • tru_m.a.c
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Fowler also said the department didn't know until this month about a 2005 university investigation into the allegations against Fine or a 2002 audio recording in which Fine's wife appears aware of the abuse allegations.
    Fowler also said no one made the department aware of the existence of the audio recording Davis said he had made of a telephone conversation with Fine's wife, Laurie Fine.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/11/29/justice/syracuse-coach-allegations/index.html

lol ? go read something
  • tru_m.a.c
    edited November 2011
    Options
    2002 - Syracuse ball boy Bobby Davis says he informed Syracuse police that he was subjected to inappropriate contact by an associate men's basketball coach" during the 1980s and 1990s." Syracuse police say they told Davis the statue of limitations had passed and nothing else could be done unless he knew of any ongoing or more recent allegations against Bernie Fine.

2005 - Davis reports the allegations to Syracuse University. Syracuse conducts its own investigation and says it was "unable to find any corroboration of the allegations."

November 17, 2011 - Davis and his stepbrother Mike Lang appear on ESPN and say they were ball boys for the team in the 1980s and 1990s. The two men accuse Bernie Fine of inappropriately touching their genital areas at various locations including university basketball facilities. Davis, now 39, alleges Fine touched him inappropriately from 1984 before he entered seventh grade, and the abuse continued until he was 27.

November 17 - Bernie Fine was placed on administrative leave "in light of the new allegations and the Syracuse City Police investigation," Syracuse says.

November 18 - Fine calls the allegations against him "patently false." In a statement he says, "Simply put, these allegations are patently false in every aspect. ... I am confident that, as in the past, a review of these allegations will be discredited and restore my reputation."

November 24 - A local district attorney harshly criticizes Syracuse Police Chief Frank Fowler and Deputy Chief Sean Broton over the handling of the 2002 probe of the former ball boy's molestation claims. "I have a chief that's intentionally trying to sabotage an investigation, a chief that is preventing the finding out of whether an innocent man has had his reputation besmirched or whether a person has been victimized in the most violent disgusting manner," Onondaga County District Attorney William Fitzpatrick says.

November 27, 2011 - A tape, made public by the Syracuse-based Post-Standard newspaper and ESPN, appears to show Laurie Fine knew about her husband's alleged sexual abuse.In the tape, the woman that ESPN, citing experts, identified as Laurie Fine tells Davis she knew "everything that went on" with her husband, adding that "It's just wrong and you were a kid."

November 27, 2011 - Bernie Fine is fired by Syracuse. In a statement announcing Fine's termination, university officials say they were "shaken" by the allegations. Chancellor Nancy Cantor says the school did not know of the recording during a 2005 investigation of Davis' accusations.

November 28, 2011 - Pittsburgh police announce they will investigate an accusation by a third accuser, Zachary Tomaselli, now 23.
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    i get it now

tru mac is letting his anger out
  • tru_m.a.c
    edited November 2011
    Options
    MR.CJ wrote: »
    i get it now

tru mac is letting his anger out

lol man I'm bored as ?

I'm just arrogantly point out the hypocrisy that I alluded to weeks ago

plus nothing ? me off more than ppl simply ignoring facts when all they need to do is google some ? and read an article for 30secs
  • rage
    edited November 2011
    Options
    what the ? are you talking about

I'm still waiting for evidence. You know the stuff they bring into court, and put and exhibit tab on. That stuff. Not this horseshit.

According to the Post-Standard, Laurie Fine even confirmed for the paper that it was her voice on the recording during an interview in February 2003 while suggesting that portions of the recording were unauthentic.

After ESPN aired the recording, her nephew Matt Govendo echoed those sentiments, telling CNN that the voice on the recording belonged to his aunt but reaffirming the accusation that segments of the recording were "all tampered with.

How the hell do you expect ESPN to go public with a tape that a) the person on it admits parts of it are fake? and B) Another corroborating witness also confirms that the tape has been tampered with.
  • rage
    edited November 2011
    Options

Again your just quoting random ? ....What does this have to do with ESPN?
  • tru_m.a.c
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Again your just quoting random ? ....What does this have to do with ESPN?

o-m-g

? ......*sigh*

?

first you claimed that the cops had the video....then I just proved that the cops never had the video and you're asking what this has to do with espn....wtf
  • tru_m.a.c
    edited November 2011
    Options
    I'm still waiting for evidence. You know the stuff they bring into court, and put and exhibit tab on. That stuff. Not this horseshit.

After ESPN aired the recording, her nephew Matt Govendo echoed those sentiments, telling CNN that the voice on the recording belonged to his aunt but reaffirming the accusation that segments of the recording were "all tampered with.

How the hell do you expect ESPN to go public with a tape that a) the person on it admits parts of it are fake? and B) Another corroborating witness also confirms that the tape has been tampered with.

does the poll state "go public" or hand over evidence??? you answer that one

don't worry I'll wait
  • b*braze
    b*braze Members Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    b*braze wrote: »
    this is ? up... but who exactly do you punish in this situation?

all this outrage and no one to project it at
  • Darius
    Darius Members Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    b*braze wrote: »
    all this outrage and no one to project it at

It's like picking something up off the floor, standing up real fast, and smashing the back of your head on a table or counter top.