Celtics Looking to Trade Rajon Rondo For Chris Paul

Options
Mumo X
Mumo X Banned Users Posts: 4,521 ✭✭
edited December 2011 in From the Cheap Seats
Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge is reportedly "highly motivated" to land Chris Paul, and would deal Rajon Rondo to do it.

The Boston Celtics, who already have one of the best point guards in the NBA, are interested in making an upgrade by acquiring the New Orleans Hornets' Chris Paul and would be willing to give up Rajon Rondo to get him, sources have told ESPN's Chris Broussard.

The sources say the Celtics are having internal discussions regarding a swap of marquee point guards.

According to an SI.com report, Celtics general manager Danny Ainge is "highly motivated" to land Paul. The report says the Hornets don't appear interested in a two-team deal in which Rondo and Paul would switch places. So Ainge has been trying to find a third team to get involved.

Paul can become a free agent after this season, so the Celtics also would have to convince him to sign an extension with them before giving up Rondo, who has four years and approximately $46 million left on his contract.

Paul was asked earlier Tuesday at a charity event in New York City about speculation that he could soon leave the Hornets.

"I try not to pay attention to all that different type of stuff," Paul told ESPN New York. "My heart is in New Orleans."
Comcast Sports New England is reporting that Danny Ainge is motivated to try to deal Rajon Rondo to New Orleans for all star point guard Chris Paul. Of course they are citing unnamed sources, but this is news would not surprise me one bit if it were true. However, I have been reporting this interest now for over a year. This is the deal that Ainge would have to have in order to move his future star in Rondo.
The fact is Chris Paul is what you hope Rondo will turn into. He is not only a solid passer, but a great scorer as well. Paul can score off the drive, hit his free throws, bury mid range shots, and hit from beyond the arc. Paul’s scoring would take the scoring burden off the aging “Big Three”. His ability to shoot would also make Boston a more effective offensive team. No longer would teams be able to play 5 on 3 on the defensive end against Boston at the end of games. Teams do not cover Boston’s center or Rondo and play a restricting zone that makes driving the ball to the basket impossible. A team cannot leave Paul alone and dare him to shoot like they do Rondo because he will beat you. This means Boston would be able to get easier baskets at the end of games. Landing Paul would also set the Celtics up for a possible signing of one of Paul’s best friends in Dwight Howard and that would set Boston up for being a contender for years to come.
The great news is the Hornets might be willing to deal. They do not want to risk losing their star for nothing at the end of the year. Why would the Hornets not want to get a young future star like Rondo that is already an all star point guard to build around? No other team can offer anything close to a young build around player like Rondo. Not the Lakers and certainly not the Knicks can give the Hornets that kind of value.
The bottom line is the Hornets need to deal Paul. He would be the perfect fit in Boston to help the “Big Three” in their pursuit for one more ring. The Celtics have the right chips in Rondo and maybe a sign and traded Glen Davis. This means this deal is very possible. Ainge pulled off the KG and Allen trades and I faith that he can pull this one off. If he does then this season is going to get real interesting. Remember Go Green Or Go Home!!!!!!!!!!!

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/post?id=4686530
When ESPN.com reported on Tuesday that the Celtics would be willing to trade point guard Rajon Rondo for the right player, it surprised anyone who had seen the sixth-year player's mastery of the team's system in recent years.

But according to numerous sources with knowledge of the situation, Boston general manager Danny Ainge is highly motivated to land an even better point guard than the one who led the Celtics to a championship in 2008 and an average of 58.5 wins in the last four seasons: New Orleans' Chris Paul.

Ainge, the sources say, has recently discussed trading Rondo in a deal that nets Paul, but the Hornets don't appear interested in a two-team deal in which Rondo -- who has four years worth approximately $46 million left on his contract -- and Paul would switch places. So Ainge has been on the prowl for a third team that could provide the sort of young pieces Hornets general manager Dell Demps would covet as part of his possible rebuilding plan. The more pressing question, of course, is whether Paul, who can become a free agent after this season, would consider signing an extension with Boston.

While ESPN reports that New York tops Paul's wish list because of the chance to form a Big Three with Amar'e Stoudemire and Carmelo Anthony, Paul would have a chance to take the Big Four -- joining Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce, Ray Allen -- to a new level in Beantown. Without Paul agreeing to an extension, however, the sources say Ainge will not do the deal.

Intriguing as the Celtics possibility might be, the challenge for Ainge would be selling the 26-year-old Paul on the idea of joining a group of future Hall of Famers with an average age of 35. While Pierce is under contract through 2014, Garnett's and Allen's deals end after this season. What's more, Boston is merely one of the many teams who will be making a serious attempt to land Paul this season.

Paul, who will make $16.4 million this season and has a $17.8 million player option in 2012-13, is widely expected to turn down a forthcoming extension offer from New Orleans. If and when that occurs, it is believed that the Hornets -- who have just five players under contract currently and hardly look like the sort of championship contender Paul wants to be a part of -- will trade him at some point in order to avoid losing him for nothing in return next summer.

The Hornets add a unique element on their own as well: They are owned by the NBA, which has led to the question of whether it would prefer Paul stays put. The league bought the team for $310 million last December and the franchise value would almost certainly take a hit if the popular Paul departs. He has long been hailed as a local hero, a classy member of the community and more than capable athlete who arrived at the toughest of times in New Orleans. Paul was drafted fourth overall by the Hornets out of Wake Forest in 2005, just two months before Hurricane Katrina hit and the team played its next two seasons in Oklahoma City before returning.

This isn't the first time Ainge has attempted to make a bold move to improve his already formidable core. In February of 2010, he tried to acquire then Kings shooting guard Kevin Martin in a deal that was expected to include Allen. Four months later, the Celtics were falling to the Lakers in a seven-game NBA Finals for the ages.

While front-office executives have not been able to talk to agents or players during the lockout, they could talk to each other about possible deals. No deals can actually be done until the collective bargaining agreement has been officially ratified, which is expected to take place in time to start training camp and free agency on Dec. 9. The regular season is expected to start on Christmas Day.

Paul addressed questions about his future at the Boys & Girls Club event in, of all places, New York on Tuesday.

"I try not to pay attention to all that different type of stuff," Paul told reporters. "My heart is in New Orleans and right now the reason I'm here in New York is for [Anthony].

"I know I'm just happy to be here and be a part of it, to give these boxes out to the needy families and then going over to the [Five-Star Basketball] Clinic and seeing the smiles on the kids' faces when we show up."

He would certainly put a smile on Ainge's face if he saw Boston as a worthy destination.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/sam_amick/11/29/chris.paul.celtics/index.html#ixzz1fAVMcuHo

what yall think??????

Comments

• CJ
    CJ Members Posts: 15,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Good for celtics
  • blu197
    blu197 Members Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    They gon do my ? rondo like dat smh lakers can use rondo
  • PanchoYoSancho
    PanchoYoSancho Members Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Not really surprised. Rondo is a liability when you leave him open on the perimeter and he hasnt improved as a shooter at all.
  • Breezy_Kilroy
    Breezy_Kilroy Members Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    why wouldn't they try to add around rondo? ainge makes it seem like their big 3 is going to be around forever. i would definitely take paul over rondo but he is basically the one keeping the team in contention
  • CJ
    CJ Members Posts: 15,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Just read nets plan on offering Orlando brook Lopez & 2 1st rounders for dwight
  • JDSTAYWITIT
    JDSTAYWITIT Members Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Why the hell would cp3 go and extend with the old ass celts when in two years their going to be looking flabby and sick .... He going to the Knicks ..book it
  • A$AP_A$TON
    A$AP_A$TON Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    C.P. cant stay healthy for ? , plus I think Rondo is tougher than him. But that would be good for N.O. if they could pull this off and avoid losing C.P. in free agency and have to find another franchise pg.
  • Darius
    Darius Members Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Chris Broussard is already saying Chris Paul is going to the Knicks
  • Darius
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Boston is just trying to up the value for what NY will have to give up. They won't trade Rondo, but the threat of it will cause other teams to offer more than they normally would
  • Darius
    edited November 2011
    Options
    But Paul actually wants
    To come home and play for MJ.
  • white715
    white715 Members Posts: 7,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    SMH at Danny Ainge, Perkins trade should've let him know that you can't overlook chemistry
  • hALF_pAST_7EVEN
    hALF_pAST_7EVEN Members Posts: 142 ✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Rondo is ass cheeks

Surprised they aint been trade that ?
  • Breezy_Kilroy
    edited November 2011
    Options
    KG, Jesus, and crippled not being around foreva is the main reason he wants to make that trade. Danny don't think Rondo can carry a team once they leave. I don't think he can either. Rondo is good when he's the 4th option. But when it comes to leading a team when you're the best player? CP over Rondo all day. You can get 19 assist when you passing the ball to Hall Of Famers. What happens when they leave tho? Is he goin be able to make a jumpshot?

Rondo can improve his jumpshot and who knows what he has done over the summer. he is a horrible shooter and can be a way better FT shooter, thats really all he needs bc as a PG he does all you can ask. my point is Rondo can improve in those areas and they should be looking to put some pieces around him imo.
    Everybody can't pass the ball like Rondo why Chalmers isn't a top PG in the league? i dont think Rondo can carry a team but put some pieces around him and we will see how he does.
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Id be happy if it happens for the fact that dwight howard would be a lock to come to boston (considering he doesnt agree to any deal and hits free agency), but what the ? if this trade doesnt go through then rondo probably gonna want out for the simple fact that they showed interest in trying to trade him for the dude he dislikes in the first place
  • Louis Cipher
    Louis Cipher Members Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    J-Breezy wrote: »
    Rondo can improve his jumpshot and who knows what he has done over the summer. he is a horrible shooter and can be a way better FT shooter, thats really all he needs bc as a PG he does all you can ask. my point is Rondo can improve in those areas and they should be looking to put some pieces around him imo.
    Everybody can't pass the ball like Rondo why Chalmers isn't a top PG in the league? i dont think Rondo can carry a team but put some pieces around him and we will see how he does.

improve his shot? he can? ive yet to see evidence of that..........

you make this deal...its no debate....

the bigger question is why would chris paul wanna sign/extend with this old ass team...he better off goin to NY...in 2 yrs they gonna be in rebuild mode
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options

the bigger question is why would chris paul wanna sign/extend with this old ass team...he better off goin to NY...in 2 yrs they gonna be in rebuild mode

Check my last post, I dont have proof but Im almost sure Howard would love to play for Doc, and I believe Doc came back for the fact that he knew big things were going to happen and not have to go through rebuilding again, and I know damn well Howard would want to play with Paul, Howard will be in green if this goes through.
  • Mdizzle9000
    Mdizzle9000 Members, Writer Posts: 8,319 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    if he isnt gonna stay in NO than its good for both teams but cp3 is worth more than just rondo, throw in allen or somethin
  • Breezy_Kilroy
    edited November 2011
    Options

I'm just saying it can happen. If Lebron can work on his post game in the off-season im sure Rondo can pick up a few things to be a better shooter.

he wouldn't and i dont think he will. paul wants to go to NY or if possible stay in NO but i also heard he has interest in going to the Clippers
  • Mumo X
    Mumo X Banned Users Posts: 4,521 ✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    EmM HoLLa. wrote: »
    ? according to this.. After the season.. The Celtics offered Rondo and Green to OKC for Perk and Westbrook.. LmaO!.. Celtics gettin deperate cuz they know they're big 4 is on they're way out.. LmaO!..

yeah fam, jus read that ? . Presti turned them down immediately.....we dont need green back, he wuz a curse to OKC
  • Mvpbrodie93
    Mvpbrodie93 Members Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    CP3 on the celts from 08' on would've been 3 straight rings

Hell Paul on the 2008 celtics would've been the greatest Team ever
  • ghost!
    ghost! Members Posts: 7,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    According to Broussard.. It aint happening.. Sorry Celtic's fans.. The man is going to be a KNICK!.. BOOK IT! The Knicks are invested in this plan.. They are going to see it through.. Its BIG BUSINESS!.. MSG Shares went up 12% since the end of the lockout..

I hope no celtic fan thought he was coming to boston, that's why i didnt comment on this til now and this been talked in boston since monday. It's a no brainer, there is no point for c.paul to wanna come here, the big 3 are on the tail end of their careers, so why would c.paul come here and sign an extention.

he's not stupid.
  • nycest_1
    nycest_1 Members Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    ? according to this.. After the season.. The Celtics offered Rondo and Green to OKC for Perk and Westbrook.. LmaO!.. Celtics gettin deperate cuz they know they're big 4 is on they're way out.. LmaO!..

lol ? thunder pulled the school yard "no backsies" lol
  • ghost!
    edited November 2011
    Options

and it's not desperate, first off, they knew this day was coming when they sign k.g. and ray, that's why their contracts all expire at the same time. second it's called being a good G.M. and doing your job. The point is suppose to win, so you do everything you can to win. Danny f'ked up letting Perk go and he knows that, but still he's doing what a G.M. is suppose to do, throw ish out there and see what sticks.

at this point it's smart with the money they will be have to go and start over
    but danny does not wanna do that, and rivers signed back for some reason and it wasnt to start over again...so something is up danny's sleeve, if it will work, who knows.
  • BlackAX410
    BlackAX410 Members Posts: 35,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    lmao i knew wasnt gonna happen thats why i aint even get my hopes up but Danny Ainge is gonna have a random ass trade up his sleeve when December 9th hits
  • ghost!
    edited November 2011
    Options
    I agree and disgree.. I agree with what you said cuz it is the right thing to do.. But then again I disagree cuz when this ? hits the Media it ? with the performance of the guys whose names are mentioned.. How can Rondo perform with trade rumors swirling.. Its already known that he isnt the strongest mentally.. He know his jumpshot is broken.. Now before he can correct it they wanna get rid of him.. Dont be surprised is Rondo starts off the season on some ? ? ..

Yea rondo is a mental head case, (see the obama comment, and how he rondo acted when perk got traded) at the end of the day, danny and no GM should care about the feelings of their players, well to an extent. Their job is to win, and by really any means necessary, and players know, or should know that. It's the nature of the business...maybe if rondo had worked on his shot and provided more scoring chances to easy off the big 3 then this wouldnt be a problem for him.