Steve McQueen: 'How can you live in New York and not cast black or latino actors?'

Options
dontdiedontkillanyon
dontdiedontkillanyon Members Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2011 in Lights, Camera, Action!

Comments

• PPLSIntiative
    PPLSIntiative Members Posts: 222
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Good drop. The silence in the room. You could hear dust ? . I have to look up some of this guys movies Steve McQueen.
  • dontdiedontkillanyon
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Good drop. The silence in the room. You could hear dust ? . I have to look up some of this guys movies Steve McQueen.

He's only two films deep but so far I'd say he's a brilliant director. Watch Hunger if you get the chance, and Shame (which should be up for awards this year) will be out soon as well.
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    damn they were quiet

them white folks don't want to talk about race
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    LMAO @ 2:03-2:09

"not stepping into that"

"i don't....i don't know......i don't know"
  • eyes low
    eyes low Members Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    has he even casted a black lead in his movies
  • cobbland
    cobbland Members Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Good video.

Kind of odd that Idris Elba is portraying the lead character in "Luther,"
    yet here in America, shows like that would get canned if they didn't attract 20 million viewers a week.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00s8jk0
  • cobbland
    cobbland Members Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    eyes low wrote: »

For his new film "Twelve Years a Slave"
    British director Steve McQueen co-wrote a script with John Ridley to present Northup's story into a theatrical version. British actor Chiwetel Ejiofor will star as Solomon Northup, and award-winning Irish-German actor Michael Fassbender, who has starred in two other films by McQueen, will star in a yet to be determined role. Filming is in pre-production and to start shooting in early 2012 with a possible release date later that year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twelve_Years_a_Slave
  • dontdiedontkillanyon
    edited November 2011
    Options

His next film, Twelve Years As A Slave, which he's going to start filming soon has Chiwetel Ejiofor as the lead, and his first film, Hunger would hardly have been historically accurate if it was full of black actors.
  • eyes low
    edited November 2011
    Options
    cobbland wrote: »
    Good video.

Kind of odd that Idris Elba is portraying the lead character in "Luther,"
    yet here in America, shows like that would get canned if they didn't attract 20 million viewers a week.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00s8jk0

a show like that would probably never make it to basic cable but a channel like amc or fx would have it and i think it would do pretty good i enjoy it
  • eyes low
    edited November 2011
    Options
    His next film, Twelve Years As A Slave, which he's going to start filming soon has Chiwetel Ejiofor as the lead, and his first film, Hunger would hardly have been historically accurate if it was full of black actors.

im just saying you cant just talk about it he has to be about it and if has ejiofor as a lead good for him
  • tru_m.a.c
    tru_m.a.c Members Posts: 9,091 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    im just saying you cant just talk about it he has to be about it and if has ejiofor as a lead good for him

his statement was "how can you live in Ny and not car black or latino actors?"

he has not directed in NY to face the question himself, so he can't "be about it" in the context and the way he framed the question

he was merely asking for insight from the other ppl who run away from black actors "friends" style
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Where was Steve McQueen?
  • Kame
    Kame Members Posts: 24,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    yeah I hear shame is dope... if not unsettling

doesn't seem like the movie id see twice

its about a guy with a sex addiction or something
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    tru_m.a.c wrote: »
    his statement was "how can you live in Ny and not car black or latino actors?"

he has not directed in NY to face the question himself, so he can't "be about it" in the context and the way he framed the question

he was merely asking for insight from the other ppl who run away from black actors "friends" style

I always thought "Friends" was a bad example though. I live in the US where whites are the majority, and if you made a "Friends" style show about me and my homeboys, there wouldn't be any white people in it. I agree that minorities should be featured more prominently where applicable. However I don't a minority should be forced to be in a show just to say there is a minority there. That's no different than the black shows with the random white person just so whites will be represented.
  • imm0rt4l
    imm0rt4l Members Posts: 683 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    the underrepresentation of minorities in hollywood is pretty ? sad. Especially for Asians, only asians I know that aren't action stars likie jet li or jackie chan are : john cho, Kal Penn, and that's it really. Hollywood needs more blacks, latinos and asians.
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Hunger would hardly have been historically accurate if it was full of black actors.

Why? Just because its about the Irish Hunger Strike? FOH w/ that racist coonery

lol

and yea I thought this thread was about THE Steve McQueen when I clicked on it
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    i thought this thread was about the old steve mcqueen aka king of cool
  • tru_m.a.c
    edited December 2011
    Options
    I always thought "Friends" was a bad example though. I live in the US where whites are the majority, and if you made a "Friends" style show about me and my homeboys, there wouldn't be any white people in it. I agree that minorities should be featured more prominently where applicable. However I don't a minority should be forced to be in a show just to say there is a minority there. That's no different than the black shows with the random white person just so whites will be represented.

You've obviously never been to NY then
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    tru_m.a.c wrote: »
    You've obviously never been to NY then

Yes I have. Are you seriously trying to say that every clique of people in NY looks like the Rainbow Coalition? Stop it man. Yeah, NY is a melting ? , but if you go to Manhattan you gonna find pleny of groups of friends of white people who have little to no association with minorities in their social lives. Same way you can go to any hood in NY and find crews of black and/or hispanic people that have no white association whatsoever.
  • jackthemack
    jackthemack Members Posts: 11,491 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Yes I have. Are you seriously trying to say that every clique of people in NY looks like the Rainbow Coalition? Stop it man. Yeah, NY is a melting ? , but if you go to Manhattan you gonna find pleny of groups of friends of white people who have little to no association with minorities in their social lives. Same way you can go to any hood in NY and find crews of black and/or hispanic people that have no white association whatsoever.

This is very true however there were no blacks on the show EVER. Not even walking around. Come on, G.
  • Mood Indigo
    Mood Indigo Members Posts: 2,127
    edited December 2011
    Options
    This is very true however there were no blacks on the show EVER. Not even walking around. Come on, G.

On friends?

You must not have been a avid watcher like myself.
  • Mood Indigo
    Mood Indigo Members Posts: 2,127
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Im definitely going to check out Shame. I heard Michael FassBender was going to get naked. :) I have no shame. Lol
  • traestar
    traestar Members Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    MR.CJ wrote: »
    damn they were quiet

them white folks don't want to talk about race

they don't want to "tell" their secrets
  • imm0rt4l
    imm0rt4l Members Posts: 683 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    sboogie wrote: »
    yo I always think this when I see ? that is set in NY...
    they even do shows that are set in areas I've actually lived in and I'm like word?
    there aint no blacks in Brooklyn? Queens? word?
    and them UK shows be having mad diversity.. I actually went and looked up their statistics, because I was like there must be mad brothers over there...

I notice this as well. Shows in the UK doesn't have black characters for example, just characters that happen to be black. There are interracial couples in television regularly and nobody bats an eyelash, it's not something thats really dwell upon there.
  • tru_m.a.c
    edited December 2011
    Options

It is IMPOSSIBLE to walk around NY, and NOT come in contact with a minority

Are you serious family? Like are you serious? The concept was how can you not CAST black actors. Not how can you not have main characters that are only white. If you take a look at shows that film in NY, you have to look at the surrounding areas. The way you can tell some ? is fake, is by the avenue and the time of day. Being from NY I can easily pinpoint some fake casting ? .

There are never any ppl of arabic origins

No hispanics

No asians

No blacks

In fact, the only time you see minorities casted are when the actors get in taxi's. NY is constantly bombarded by foreigners. For everyone to be white and not be SUPER DUPER RICH is a fallacy. C'mon fam how you gonna tell me.....Unless you're a hasidic Jew, you're not living in a white only neighborhood.

This is ridiculous.
    On friends?

You must not have been a avid watcher like myself.

no seriously ever, there were never any black ppl....I think joey met a black girl once