Degrees That Get You Hired...

Options
freshfromatl
freshfromatl Members Posts: 559
edited August 2011 in Strictly Business
#1 - Health Care Degree

Graduates with recession-proof degrees in health care will find the most success in 2010, according to Challenger. In fact, more than one in four (26.3 percent) HR professionals picked health care as the best bet for job security. Nurses are receiving the most job offers in this category.

Average Starting Salaries:
Nursing: $47,217
Health & Related Sciences: $30,522

#2 - Business Administration Degree

It's no coincidence that business is booming for graduates with a business degree...it's the most popular bachelor's degree in the country.

Graduating with a degree in business administration puts job seekers in the second strongest position overall, just behind health care, according to the Challenger survey.

Average Starting Salary:
Business Administration: $45,200

#3 - Computer Science Degree

Computers are an indispensable part of the economy, and so are graduates who study computer science, which ranks as the third most valuable degree in today's job market.

Computer Science: $61,205
Information Sciences & Systems: $54,038

#4 - Accounting/Finance Degree

Finance and accounting graduates can expect their fortunes to improve as the economy improves. "Historically, hiring on Wall Street has recovered before the rest of the economy," Richard Lipstein, managing director at Boyden Global Executive Search, told the Philadelphia Inquirer.

Economics: $52,909
Finance: $49,607
Accounting: $47,982

#5 - Engineering Degree

It might surprise you to learn that engineering degrees are ranked fifth in terms of employment - and not first - but don't start feeling sorry for engineers just yet. According to a survey by the National Association of Colleges and Employers, eight of the top 10 best-paid majors are in engineering.

Petroleum Engineering: $86,220
Computer Engineering: $60,879
Mechanical Engineering: $58,392

#6 - Marketing Degree

Demand remains strong for marketing graduates in the business world, though a more general business administration degree, ranked number two overall, gets the edge in today's tight job market because of its broader application.

Average Starting Salary:
Marketing: $42,499

http://education.yahoo.net/articles/six_in_demand_degrees.htm?kid=12X5N

Comments

• Fundz O' Plenty
    Fundz O' Plenty Members Posts: 10,382 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Good ? ............
  • tru_m.a.c
    tru_m.a.c Members Posts: 9,091 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    yup...currently in the works on finishing up both #1 and #2

wasn't finna graduate from college with just a piece of paper
  • DarcSkies777
    DarcSkies777 Members Posts: 5,600 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    #6 - marketing degree

demand remains strong for marketing graduates in the business world, though a more general business administration degree, ranked number two overall, gets the edge in today's tight job market because of its broader application.

Average starting salary:
    Marketing: $42,499
    ftw !!!!

But if I could do it over I'd major in computer science. I think I'd have paid more attention in school.
  • Blue Virgo
    Blue Virgo Members Posts: 7,092 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    lol and smh @ degrees in education not getting people hired.
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I got my degree in Professional and Technical writing and I'm a pharm tech, got my liscence FTW
  • hummingbird
    hummingbird Members, Banned Users Posts: 2,341 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options

Finance and accounting graduates can expect their fortunes to improve as the economy improves. "Historically, hiring on Wall Street has recovered before the rest of the economy," Richard Lipstein, managing director at Boyden Global Executive Search, told the Philadelphia Inquirer.

I can attest to this, although Ive been going back and forth on going back to school and starting a new career in the medical field. But I can honestly say my degree was worth it and the return on it has been more than tenfold.
  • Fundz O' Plenty
    Fundz O' Plenty Members Posts: 10,382 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    A lot of salaries depend on the market you live in too. Want to make more? Sometimes you money is in other places...
  • American Loo VII 3D
    American Loo VII 3D Members Posts: 6,371 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I got my degree in Professional and Technical writing and I'm a pharm tech, got my liscence FTW

I majored in Journalism focus in PR

i do web design now, but i enjoy it. working at a newspaper was very stressful and the hours sucked.

its a dying industry anyway.
  • king hassan
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I majored in Journalism focus in PR

i do web design now, but i enjoy it. working at a newspaper was very stressful and the hours sucked.

its a dying industry anyway.
    My girl used to work for the paper down in Dallas. The journalism field is getting dry as hell. ? , you have to have multiple degrees and ? nowadays to find a job. I also worked as a "purchaser/buyer" for a number of years and then I got my pharm tech liscence. But still, 1500 people got laid of last year starting with the top salary makers, it ain't safe no more around here
  • American Loo VII 3D
    American Loo VII 3D Members Posts: 6,371 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    My girl used to work for the paper down in Dallas. The journalism field is getting dry as hell. ? , you have to have multiple degrees and ? nowadays to find a job. I also worked as a "purchaser/buyer" for a number of years and then I got my pharm tech liscence. But still, 1500 people got laid of last year starting with the top salary makers, it ain't safe no more around here

i was once told to get in to technical writing, but tell me more about this pharm tech thing.
  • king hassan
    edited June 2010
    Options
    i was once told to get in to technical writing, but tell me more about this pharm tech thing.

Pharm techs basically assist the pharmacist in dispencing meds but you don't have to figure as much ? out as the pharmacist, like which meds interact with each other and could prove dealdy. Now to be a actual pharmacist is a whole nother ball game, that's 8 years of schooling with a starting salary of around 75-80k. Pharm Techs make different salaries depending on the state you live in. I'm in the 40k plus range at the moment. And it also depends on what company you work for, a lot of major pharmacies like Walgreens, CVS or Osco can pay you more but they still skimp with the money. I work in the hospital so it's not as bad. The job is not hard and it teaches you a lot about meds to the point I will open a chikcs medicine cabinet and see what type of medication she is on and rather to run or not.
    But to be a pharm tech the school is not long, just a lot of math. I learned by ojt and applied for the state liscence. I'm not in the process to get board certified.
  • The Prodigalson
    The Prodigalson Members, Writer Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Da ? ? That's all that ? pays. What kind of degree they got associate?
  • King Erauno
    King Erauno Members Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    #3 - Computer Science Degree

Computers are an indispensable part of the economy, and so are graduates who study computer science, which ranks as the third most valuable degree in today's job market.

Computer Science: $61,205
    Information Sciences & Systems: $54,038

yup yup...it was hard work but yeah its paying off. $$$$

working on that MBA too..
  • The LouisiAnimal
    The LouisiAnimal Members Posts: 98
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Yeah, I make good money in my profession but if I liked math more and could do it all over again, I would get into biomedical engineering or electrical engineering. Less schooling and money invested as well as better starting salaries. The only negative would be long hours.
  • hummingbird
    hummingbird Members, Banned Users Posts: 2,341 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Da ? ? That's all that ? pays. What kind of degree they got associate?

Those are jsut the average starting salaries and usually those dont even include self-employed people in those fields in those averages. It took me about 4 years to make it to the 80k mark once I finished college and I know I only did it that quick because I have already been working in my field with a reputable company since high school graduation
  • darryl_jenks
    darryl_jenks Members Posts: 328
    edited June 2010
    Options
    blue virgo wrote: »
    lol and smh @ degrees in education not getting people hired.

If you're a black male or going into special education,you're getting hired......quick
  • HustleThaDon
    HustleThaDon Members Posts: 28,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Glad I switched my major to computer science...
  • The Prodigalson
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Glad I switched my major to computer science...
    LOL @ yo Avi
  • HustleThaDon
    HustleThaDon Members Posts: 28,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    LOL @ yo Avi

Dont hate my son. We back on yall ass! I hope lol....IDK what Gilbert is gonna do. He looks like he will be good but he's young...
  • The Prodigalson
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Dont hate my son. We back on yall ass! I hope lol....IDK what Gilbert is gonna do. He looks like he will be good but he's young...
    Yeah he has the potential but too bad he was over shadowed by Colt trying to get the Heisman playing in blow out games instead of using the back up. Same ? happened to Bama a few yeares back when we lost Prothrow in a Blowout.
  • Nthngis4vr
    Nthngis4vr Members Posts: 2,171 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options

Chea!
  • turqiun
    turqiun Members Posts: 1,491 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    what about law degree, that's what I'm working on now.
  • Hustlers Ambition$
    Hustlers Ambition$ Members Posts: 245
    edited June 2010
    Options
    *In school for finance degree* ....*Looks up at list*....smiles lol

Great thread.
  • TANGLUNG
    TANGLUNG Members Posts: 806 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I’m in school currently for Information Systems. I’m not to the upper level classes yet but that where it gets interesting. My emphasis is in Networking/Network Security.
  • simplyspeaking
    simplyspeaking Confirm Email Posts: 2,195
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Dual Degree.....
    Computer Science / Computer Engineering
    Computer Engineering: $60,879

=)