GET YA POPCORN READY - Ron Paul trailing by ONE POINT in Iowa

Options
Swiffness!
Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2012 in The Social Lounge
siren.gifsiren.gifsiren.gif

Raleigh, N.C. – There has been some major movement in the Republican Presidential
race in Iowa over the last week, with what was a 9 point lead for Newt Gingrich now all
the way down to a single point. Gingrich is at 22% to 21% for Paul with Mitt Romney at
16%
, Michele Bachmann at 11%, Rick Perry at 9%, Rick ? at 8%, Jon Huntsman
at 5%, and Gary Johnson at 1%.

Gingrich has dropped 5 points in the last week and he's also seen a significant decline in
his favorability numbers. Last week he was at +31 (62/31) and he's now dropped 19
points to +12 (52/40). The attacks on him appear to be taking a heavy toll- his support
with Tea Party voters has declined from 35% to 24%.

Paul meanwhile has seen a big increase in his popularity from +14 (52/38) to +30
(61/31). There are a lot of parallels between Paul's strength in Iowa and Barack Obama's
in 2008- he's doing well with new voters, young voters, and non-Republican voters
:

-59% of likely voters participated in the 2008 Republican caucus and they support
Gingrich 26-18. But among the 41% of likely voters who are 'new' for 2012 Paul leads
Gingrich 25-17 with Romney at 16%.
-He's also very strong with young voters. Among likely caucus goers under 45 Paul is up
30-16 on Gingrich. With those over 45, Gingrich leads him 26-15 with Romney at 17%.
-Among Republicans Gingrich leads Paul 25-17. But with voters who identify as
Democrats or independents, 21% of the electorate in a year with no action on the
Democratic side, Paul leads Gingrich 34-14 with Romney at 17%.

“Newt Gingrich’s momentum is fading in Iowa,” said Dean Debnam, President of Public
Policy Polling. “Meanwhile Ron Paul is building an unusual coalition of support for a
Republican primary. The big question is: will they really turn out?”

PPP surveyed 555 likely Republican caucus voters from December 11th to 13th. The
margin of error for the survey is +/-4.2%. This poll was not paid for or authorized by any
campaign or political organization. PPP surveys are conducted through automated
telephone interviews. PPP is a Democratic polling company, but polling expert Nate
Silver of the New York Times found that its surveys in 2010 actually exhibited a slight
bias toward Republican candidates.

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/2011/PPP_Release_IA_1213925.pdf

Let us not mince words: There is NO ? WAY the GOP Establishment will ever let Ron Paul be their candidate without a fight comparable to Stalingrad. Sheeeeit, I wouldn't be shocked if they sniped dude.

Paul's people are already saying their GOAL would be a "brokered" (read: CHAOTIC AS ? ) 2012 GOP convention.

? would tear them apart at the seams. Dems only got away with that ? in 08 because there were barely any differences between Obama and Hillary's platforms. But Paul vs. Romney or Gingrich? Um, Ron Paul is the only GOP candidate that isn't criticizing Obama for pulling out of Iraq. Seriously, even Huntsman is saying that dumb ? . Can you imagine Paul quietly accepting a VP slot or abandoning dem beliefs to please party establishment? Yeah, I'm pretty sure Darcskies would marry a white female police officer before that happens.

scv1aw.jpg

Comments

• ustreet_monsta
    ustreet_monsta Members Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    It would be great for the country if Paul could get the nomination. And no, I'm not planning on voting for him.

Paul is one of the only politicians that have run for President in my lifetime that actually believes in the political positions he advocates.

Never gonna happen though. The Repub powers that be would start a civil war before they allowed the US to be run by someone who isnt pro-war, pro-debt, pro-Israel, & pro-American empire.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] rubbed off from friction Posts: 0 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Swiffness! wrote: »
    Let us not mince words: There is NO ? WAY the GOP Establishment will ever let Ron Paul be their candidate without a fight comparable to Stalingrad. Sheeeeit, I wouldn't be shocked if they sniped dude.
    i don't know; if the alternative is Gingrich...
    It would be great for the country if Paul could get the nomination.
    because we'd have Obama reelected? or, failing that, a president who would get nothing done because he wouldn't have congressional support for his most radical notions?
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    It would be great for the country if Paul could get the nomination. And no, I'm not planning on voting for him.

Paul is one of the only politicians that have run for President in my lifetime that actually believes in the political positions he advocates.

Never gonna happen though. The Repub powers that be would start a civil war before they allowed the US to be run by someone who isnt pro-war, pro-debt, pro-Israel, & pro-American empire.

Very very true. Ron Paul gets some respect from me for being one of the few politicians these days to not be a bloodthirsty warmonger who wants endless wars to protect Israel.
  • CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    The Jamel wrote: »
    i hope to ? ron paul wins.

man...
    id even vote...
  • ustreet_monsta
    edited December 2011
    Options
    janklow wrote: »
    i don't know; if the alternative is Gingrich...

because we'd have Obama reelected? or, failing that, a president who would get nothing done because he wouldn't have congressional support for his most radical notions?

We arent going to get anything done regardless of who or what party the president is from. Our system is outdated.

The one thing that could be salvaged from this election would be a greater level of participation in government. Obama started that process by inspiring young and minority people to vote. Paul could further that by drawing true conservatives who arent part of the Christian conservative and pro-business sections of the electorate to the voting booth. Supposedly the cure for Democracy is MORE Democracy. I'd say over the last 40+ years we've had an under-representation of the anti-war, anti-debt factions of the electorate. The number of people who feel the system is rigged and refuse to vote is equal to the number who do have faith in the system.
  • janklow
    edited December 2011
    Options
    We arent going to get anything done regardless of who or what party the president is from. Our system is outdated.
    if the problem is that our system is outdated, more participation is probably not the sole thing we need to fix it.

the point is, though, if you like Paul because of his less-popular notions, it's those notions that Congress isn't going to let him run with. so...
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    hope he wins. it guarantees the GOP nomination festival goes longer than it has to. easier for O to get the win in 2012
  • Plutarch
    Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    I've been saying that Ron Paul is the truth for the longest. I'm voting for him at the Republican primaries (Attention: If you're voting for Ron Paul, you might first need to register republican at least a couple of months before your state's primaries. So check that out before it's too late!), and if he wins, also at the presidential elections. It's going to be very complicated and difficult, but he can do it with his honesty and rationality. Young people and people who aren't stupid know what's up. It's a damn shame that the government and the media is blackballing him. Check out these videos if you haven't seen them already:
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
  • janklow
    edited December 2011
    Options
    easier for O to get the win in 2012
    i think that would still be Gringrich
  • Kairo
    Kairo Members Posts: 942 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Young-Ice wrote: »
    Why did he go from liberal to republican?

Ron Paul has never been liberal. He has one of, if not the most, conservative voting record of anyone in Congress. He's largely associated with the Libertarian party.

Liberalism is not a political party but a political philosophy. You have some repubs that are more liberal and some dems that are more conservative. Political party's are often a very poor indication of a politician's beliefs despite most Americans using this as the primary way to distinguish them. I'm sure it's very similar in Canada.
  • evoljeanyes
    evoljeanyes Members Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Plutarch wrote: »
    I've been saying that Ron Paul is the truth for the longest. I'm voting for him at the Republican primaries (Attention: If you're voting for Ron Paul, you might first need to register republican at least a couple of months before your state's primaries. So check that out before it's too late!), and if he wins, also at the presidential elections. It's going to be very complicated and difficult, but he can do it with his honesty and rationality. Young people and people who aren't stupid know what's up. It's a damn shame that the government and the media is blackballing him. Check out these videos if you haven't seen them already:

This ? is disgusting man, he is honestly a really good candidate. That ? in that top video should be fired. ? was disgusting, she started looking away while he was answering questions. Unbelievable. She wanted that man to respond to that ? . Unbelievable.

Ron Paul is the best thing in that ? GOP...

This ? is really irritating
  • Plutarch
    Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    This ? is disgusting man, he is honestly a really good candidate. That ? in that top video should be fired. ? was disgusting, she started looking away while he was answering questions. Unbelievable. She wanted that man to respond to that ? . Unbelievable.

Ron Paul is the best thing in that ? GOP...

This ? is really irritating

I feel you man. When I watched those videos for the first time, I felt so sick to my stomach. It is indeed extremely irritating and frustrating. I didn't think that my opinion on the American media could get any lower.

What's sad is that we're being "informed" about world news by blatant idiots, and it's very noticeable. It seems that everyone and their mother could do a better job than these so called professionals. Just today, a Canadian homegirl of mine was saying that some survey proved that Americans who watch FOX actually know less about real world news than people who don't even watch the news at all.
  • evoljeanyes
    evoljeanyes Members Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Plutarch wrote: »
    I feel you man. When I watched those videos for the first time, I felt so sick to my stomach. It is indeed extremely irritating and frustrating. I didn't think that my opinion on the American media could get any lower.

What's sad is that we're being "informed" about world news by blatant idiots, and it's very noticeable. It seems that everyone and their mother could do a better job than these so called professionals. Just today, a Canadian homegirl of mine was saying that some survey proved that Americans who watch FOX actually know less about real world news than people who don't even watch the news at all.

They don't even have to hide it anymore...everyone talks about how America doesn't have it's own industry but it does. Marketing is our industry, send your ? over here in exchange for some bread and we'll figure out how to make your competition go away and your product excel. People are so damn stupid now its sickening man. Marketing and sales is what our country is built on right now, how sick is that? We can't even watch a TV show on demand without some sort of advertising popping up...that's gawbage. The media giants like Fox are in control of the information and there followers just regurgitate that ? back to their peers like its religion.

GOP is a joke
  • Shuffington
    Shuffington Members Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    I hope he gets the nod so theres more discussion and debate about his economic policy.
  • ustreet_monsta
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Paul is moving up in the polls.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/itsallpolitics/2011/12/19/143963906/polls-show-ron-paul-rising-in-iowa-as-gingrich-swoons

'The latest Public Policy Poll of likely Republican caucus goers actually has Paul in a statistical tie with with former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney, with Paul at 23 percent and Romney at 20 percent, with a margin of error of four percentage points. Gingrich came in at 14 percent support.'

If this was Rick Perry or Herman Cain with these numbers the media would be pushing the story. It'd be funny as hell if Paul got the Republican nomination and the news refused to cover it. At some point they're gonna expose their lack of credibility as a non-biased institution.
  • janklow
    edited December 2011
    Options
    If this was Rick Perry or Herman Cain with these numbers the media would be pushing the story. It'd be funny as hell if Paul got the Republican nomination and the news refused to cover it. At some point they're gonna expose their lack of credibility as a non-biased institution.
    if Paul's the nominee, the media will cover it. but they'll fight to prevent it while it's undecided.
  • ROFL.GUY
    ROFL.GUY Members Posts: 3,117 ✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    RON PAUL -- the last hope for america

i will be voting for him first time i will ever vote
  • d.green
    d.green Members Posts: 12,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    I would really vote for Ron Paul.
  • BarryHalls
    BarryHalls Members Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    If your going to vote for Ron Paul, I hope you're registered Republicans.
  • Pond Scum
    Pond Scum Members Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    i guess all a dude needs to say is he's gonna legalize ? and you guys forgive him for his racist diatribes.
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    binstar wrote: »
    i guess all a dude needs to say is he's gonna legalize ? and you guys forgive him for his racist diatribes.

What racist diatribes???!!
  • fiat_money
    fiat_money Members Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    "We are constantly told that it is evil to be afraid of black men, it is hardly irrational."

After the Los Angeles riots, one article in a newsletter claimed, "Order was only restored in L.A. when it came time for the blacks to pick up their welfare checks."

One referred to Martin Luther King Jr. as "the world-class philanderer who beat up his paramours" and who "seduced underage girls and boys."

Another referred to Barbara Jordan, a civil rights activist and congresswoman as "Barbara Morondon," the "archetypical half-educated victimologist."

"Boy, it sure burns me to have a national holiday for Martin Luther King. I voted against this outrage time and time again as a Congressman. What an infamy that Ronald Reagan approved it! We can thank him for our annual Hate Whitey Day."

"If you have ever been robbed by a black teen-aged male, you know how unbelievably fleet-footed they can be." - Ron Paul, 1992

"Given the inefficiencies of what D.C. laughingly calls the `criminal justice system,' I think we can safely assume that 95 percent of the black males in that city are semi-criminal or entirely criminal." - Ron Paul, 1992

"We don't think a child of 13 should be held responsible as a man of 23. That's true for most people, but black males age 13 who have been raised on the streets and who have joined criminal gangs are as big, strong, tough, scary and culpable as any adult and should be treated as such." - Ron Paul, 1992

"What else do we need to know about the political establishment than that it refuses to discuss the crimes that terrify Americans on grounds that doing so is racist? Why isn't that true of complex embezzling, which is 100 percent white and Asian?" - Ron Paul, 1992

"Homosexuals, not to speak of the rest of society, were far better off when social pressure forced them to hide their activities."
  • caddo man
    caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    They need more people. I dont believe it but I can say that if he did. He will face up to it. Ron Paul never gave a damn about letting people know how he really feels. But it would be a stretch for him because of his belief of personal freedoms.

Is it believable? Yes! The GOP is full of them.