Believers in Jesus Christ, let me ask you something about the cost of following.....

Options
DoUwant2go2Heaven
DoUwant2go2Heaven Members Posts: 10,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2010 in R & R (Religion and Race)
our Lord Jesus Christ........

"And Jesus said unto him, No man, having put his hand to the plough, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of ? ." Luke 9:62

Can a believer in Jesus Christ tell me what Jesus is saying in the above passage of scripture. The reason I ask is because I have recently come under the conviction that it is EXTREMELY hard to enter into the kingdom of ? . I have been reading the story of the rich young man in Matthew 19. When Jesus told the rich young man that it's easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of ? , I got to wondering like the disciples by asking the question they asked, “Who then can be saved?” (Matthew 19:25)

Being a disciple of Christ costs everything. And I am strarting to come to the realization of this truth. 1 Peter 4:18 states, "if the righteous scarcely be saved, where shall the ungodly and the sinner appear?"

I am starting to examine myself to see wether I am in the faith because this is not a cake walk that I am on. Getting to the kingdom of ? costs everything. Many people will say on the last day Lord, Lord have we not done this and have we not done that in your name. And Jesus Christ will say depart from me, I never knew you.

? is so holy and I am so sinful that at times I just don't understand anything. I just need a little help right now. Can somebody who is a believer chime in with your thoughts about getting into the kingdom of ? . Thank you and ? bless.

Comments

• TX_Made713
    TX_Made713 Members Posts: 3,954 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    wheres the bank of america alias? he needs to post in here
  • TX_Made713
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I am starting to examine myself to see wether I am in the faith because this is not a cake walk that I am on. Getting to the kingdom of ? costs everything. Many people will say on the last day Lord, Lord have we not done this and have we not done that in your name. And Jesus Christ will say depart from me, I never knew you.

? is so holy and I am so sinful that at times I just don't understand anything. I just need a little help right now. Can somebody who is a believer chime in with your thoughts about getting into the kingdom of ? . Thank you and ? bless.

What about those poor kids who cant read or write in third world countries? They have no way of knowing about him or ? . so Jesus will send people to hell due to conditions ? put them in??
  • DoUneedALoan?
    DoUneedALoan? Members Posts: 7
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Money not allowed in Heaven? Thats total blasphemy.

"We give you all that you need, we will help you in any situation, we at Bank Of America create heaven here on Earth" Bank of America, 2006
    Give your signature to Bank Of America and be saved! This is a once in a lifetime oppurtunity, 10% APR for limited time. They have my signature, will they get yours? Hurry now while supplies last, don't miss out for your chance at living in heaven!
  • ThaChozenWun
    ThaChozenWun Members Posts: 9,390
    edited June 2010
    Options
    LMAO, On TX's wish, dou 2.0 has arrived. Ive been waitin for this good think i got off work early to witness it.
  • TX_Made713
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Money not allowed in Heaven? Thats total blasphemy.

"We give you all that you need, we will help you in any situation, we at Bank Of America create heaven here on Earth" Bank of America, 2006
    Give your signature to Bank Of America and be saved! This is a once in a lifetime oppurtunity, 10% APR for limited time. They have my signature, will they get yours? Hurry now while supplies last, don't miss out for your chance at living in heaven!

lol they goin refinance houses in the afterlife, ? crooks
  • BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    What are you willing to lose to enter heaven?
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options

"And Jesus said unto him, No man, having put his hand to the plough, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of ? ." Luke 9:62

Can a believer in Jesus Christ tell me what Jesus is saying in the above passage of scripture. The reason I ask is because I have recently come under the conviction that it is EXTREMELY hard to enter into the kingdom of ? . I have been reading the story of the rich young man in Matthew 19. When Jesus told the rich young man that it's easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of ? , I got to wondering like the disciples by asking the question they asked, “Who then can be saved?” (Matthew 19:25)

Being a disciple of Christ costs everything. And I am strarting to come to the realization of this truth. 1 Peter 4:18 states, "if the righteous scarcely be saved, where shall the ungodly and the sinner appear?"

Why is the Kingdom of ? so hard to get into? Do you realize how unfair this is? So what if there's a believer who has the faith and heart given all to ? but because of one thing they won't be able to get in? That is wrong. The bible says we aren't perfect. I've always wondered this though. Do we have to be like Jesus to get into the Kingdom of Heaven?

Do you realize that's a big big BIG step for people? Ask your church who's ready to sacrifice tv's, movies, games, cars, money for ? . I'm sure all of 'em will say, "YES!! I WILL" but will they REALLY? Do you know that pretty much we would have to give up ALL of our luxuries and then and only then could we FULLY focus on ? .

If what you're putting to light is fact, like it really is extremely hard to get into heaven then many people are just totally screwed. No A for effort??

There is a "scarce" amount because it's small compared to all the sinful things that people are doing that are leading them TO hell and will go to hell.

It's a difficult situation, pretty much I think it's unfair for it to be SO hard to get into heaven.
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I like this take, on Luke 9:62, that someone hipped me to, a while back...I don't have the link, just have the text from that was being fwd

Our salvation hinges on a lifetime of repentance from dead works and overcoming in faith. Thus, we are counseled before baptism to be sure we have counted the cost before we take on the awesome opportunity of eternal life. Once we take hold of the plow, we cannot turn back.

This "looking back" is not merely reflecting to evaluate the progress made since one decided to leave the world of sin.

Instead, it is like Lot's wife, who looked back with a degree of longing to return to what she had left. Her life was literally on the line, and rather than being fully engaged in surviving, she placed a higher priority on life's lesser matters than on the greater one of preserving her life through ? 's gift of protection.

She looked back, revealing her heart still to be in ? , a type of the world. Her action indicates regret for having left. Success in ? 's way requires following an awesome vision of future glory with devoted conviction. Abraham is a primary example: He looked for a city built by ? , apparently leaving his homeland without ever looking back (Hebrews 11:8-10, 13-16).

Once we commit to Christianity, ? 's calling becomes our vocation, which requires our concentrated attention going forward. A vocation is a person's regular occupation. What happens when a Christian looks back with a measure of longing is similar to someone talking on a cell phone while driving his car. He frequently drifts all over the road, swerving this way and that because, at best, his attention is split between conflicting priorities. He is setting himself up for trouble, and all too frequently, an accident occurs. A Christian cannot make a beeline for the Kingdom with his attention diverted elsewhere. We are not to be anything but altogether followers of the Son of ? . The stakes are that high, for the fulfillment of His promise is so great.

Excellent post. I will meditate on this for a minute. The stakes are high, thus the cost is so great. Nothing compares to what ? has for us, thus believers must forsake everything for the sake of the kingdom.
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    edited June 2010
    Options
    VIBE86 wrote: »
    Why is the Kingdom of ? so hard to get into? Do you realize how unfair this is? So what if there's a believer who has the faith and heart given all to ? but because of one thing they won't be able to get in? That is wrong. The bible says we aren't perfect. I've always wondered this though. Do we have to be like Jesus to get into the Kingdom of Heaven?

Do you realize that's a big big BIG step for people? Ask your church who's ready to sacrifice tv's, movies, games, cars, money for ? . I'm sure all of 'em will say, "YES!! I WILL" but will they REALLY? Do you know that pretty much we would have to give up ALL of our luxuries and then and only then could we FULLY focus on ? .

If what you're putting to light is fact, like it really is extremely hard to get into heaven then many people are just totally screwed. No A for effort??

There is a "scarce" amount because it's small compared to all the sinful things that people are doing that are leading them TO hell and will go to hell.

It's a difficult situation, pretty much I think it's unfair for it to be SO hard to get into heaven.

? never said He was fair my brother. ? is just. Thats why I am starting to realize or should I say scratch the surface of how holy ? is. My goodness, He is absolutely holy. It's mind-boggling. I'm just astonished at how holy He is and I am just at the surface level of it. ? is holy my brother. He is HOLY. I just have to ponder that for a minute and get back with you.
  • ThaChozenWun
    ThaChozenWun Members Posts: 9,390
    edited June 2010
    Options
    So DoU, are you in the process of giving away your goods or not? Don't sell them, that would be bad to ? . Maybe you should give them to charity? Oh wait my bad that would be makin ? turn on the person who recieves them.

Perhaps you could burn them? Naw destroying the earth that ? made ? your screwed. How you gettin rid of all your material things? Your car gotta go to, u can use a bike to get around.... nevermind also a rich man toy guess you just have to wal to work... barefoot of course because shoes can cost a good bit. Make sure you dont touch pavement either, ? gave us earth to walk on, the money spent on sidewalks and roads were a fortune.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    edited June 2010
    Options
    "To gain anything, first you must lose everything". It is amazing the things man is unwilling to give up. Your wife? Gotta lose them. Child? Sorry, that too. Hell, most people won't even give up a morning coffee, with the reasoning "I could if I wanted to or needed to, but what need have I to do it now?". If people cannot give up the simple things, how could they lie to themselves believing they could give up something more?

DoUwant2go2Heaven?, can you in all truthfulness say you'd rather have ? than have your wife and daughter? Can you lose your attachment to them, or have you grabbed the plow and look back? Something to ponder.
  • TX_Made713
    edited June 2010
    Options
    just smooth ignored my question...its all good
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    If you want to understand what any part of the Bible is saying, don't focus on just one line. That's bad for any type of reading comprehension. You need to put the line in context which means including more th an just that one line in the discussion.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    edited June 2010
    Options
    If you want to understand what any part of the Bible is saying, don't focus on just one line. That's bad for any type of reading comprehension. You need to put the line in context which means including more th an just that one line in the discussion.

Smh, you must not realize who you are talking to.....
  • TX_Made713
    edited June 2010
    Options

bingo

10 characters
  • VIBE
    edited June 2010
    Options
    ? never said He was fair my brother. ? is just. Thats why I am starting to realize or should I say scratch the surface of how holy ? is. My goodness, He is absolutely holy. It's mind-boggling. I'm just astonished at how holy He is and I am just at the surface level of it. ? is holy my brother. He is HOLY. I just have to ponder that for a minute and get back with you.

I understand He never said He WAS fair. But you gotta think dude, all these people that live their lives to what they think is in accordance to the Bible and if ? is too strict then the possibility of them making it is slim to none.

If He wants worship and He wants us in heaven, why is it so hard?

I mean, I'm serious when I say if you want to be a devoted follower of ? , then every prized possession must be given up. I've thought about it, THOUGHT about it, I could never do it. I don't have the stupidity or even "strength" to do so.

The ONLY reason they were able to follow Jesus then was because they didn't have iPod's, TV's, computers, game consoles, Star Bucks (oh a Christians FAVORITE place) they didn't have sports like we do today. If they did, you can bet your horses they would've been inside saying, "Jesus? PSSSHH, the games on, hold up". Today we have distractions that lessen a REAL, HONEST and HEARTFELT relationship with ? . If what you're saying is the SERIOUS case, that it's that hard, then NO ONE is getting into heaven.

Back then all you had was talk, talk, talk, talk and work. Then when Jesus came around it was, leave everything behind and follow. That was easy ? to do.
  • VIBE
    edited June 2010
    Options
    So DoU, are you in the process of giving away your goods or not? Don't sell them, that would be bad to ? . Maybe you should give them to charity? Oh wait my bad that would be makin ? turn on the person who recieves them.

Perhaps you could burn them? Naw destroying the earth that ? made ? your screwed. How you gettin rid of all your material things? Your car gotta go to, u can use a bike to get around.... nevermind also a rich man toy guess you just have to wal to work... barefoot of course because shoes can cost a good bit. Make sure you dont touch pavement either, ? gave us earth to walk on, the money spent on sidewalks and roads were a fortune.

You know what though, my father had a collection of KISS memorabilia and it ranged between like $5 - $2,000. He had A LOT of this stuff. The most expensive was the KISS leather jacket he had. HE THREW IT ALL AWAY, TRASHED. Then devoted himself to ? . He left his stereo/tv and just never even watched or listened to it. He read his bible everyday, prayed everyday. It was insane. THEN, he had a major fall out and went (in my mind) ? . ? drove him nuts. Sad. Now he's okay but not a follower of ? like he was, dudes fallen into sin again. Going to strip clubs and all. But anyway, he gave up a lot but now has gained it all back. He says it's too hard to NOT have a tv or music and stuff.
  • "A Tout le Mond
    "A Tout le Mond Members Posts: 121
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Its cuz ? is an ? .
  • SHAYDEEEE
    SHAYDEEEE Members Posts: 1,720 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    think about the times when that was written in... back then if you were born poor you stayed poor and if you were rich it was very hard to become a peasant.
    jesus said that because he was fed up with the royalty ? on him all the time and he could do nothing about it because he was poor.
    there was no "rags to riches" possible in that society so the poor people saw the rich ones differently than we see each other now hence the context of that passage
    it doesnt apply to modern times at all and shouldnt be taken so seriously
  • Israelites
    Israelites Members Posts: 280
    edited June 2010
    Options

If you really want to enter into the kingdom, KEEP the LORDs Laws,statutues & commandments..... this includes the ten commandments , which includes keeping HIS 7th day Sabbath, keeping & honoring HIS Holy Days & leaving man made holidays alone, keeping the dietary law.... This is what we will be judged on....
    Take heed to the scriptures & stop trying to use Paul to do away with "thus saith the LORD"
  • motrilla
    motrilla Members Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    SHAYDEEEE wrote: »
    think about the times when that was written in... back then if you were born poor you stayed poor and if you were rich it was very hard to become a peasant.
    jesus said that because he was fed up with the royalty ? on him all the time and he could do nothing about it because he was poor.
    there was no "rags to riches" possible in that society so the poor people saw the rich ones differently than we see each other now hence the context of that passage
    it doesnt apply to modern times at all and shouldnt be taken so seriously

this is one of the main reasons i don't believe in organized religion the books which they are founded on don't translate to modern times it's foolish to try to live your life according to standards established in biblical times what is everyone who owns a computer not getting into heaven because it's a luxury well i'm going to keep visiting the ic and take my chances
  • alissowack
    alissowack Members Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options

The stakes are high. However, this fight to rid ourselves of sin is not meant to be won by our hands. As good as it is to practice good morals, Heaven is not guaranteed because of it. Heaven is obtained through Jesus and what he has done.
  • kids in america_
    kids in america_ Members Posts: 213
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I’d like to raise the question: What is salvation? I know practically all Christians believe and teach that salvation means “going to heaven” and being “saved” from an “eternal” “hell” fire. That’s totally unscriptural.
  • alissowack
    alissowack Members Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    ether-i-am wrote: »
    If it's harder for a rich man to get into heaven then why do people that aquire wealth say they are blessed? Especially Christians. If you see a wealthy Christian he has no problem telling you how much the lord has blessed him. This can't be inaccordance with Jesus teachings. If Jesus was awarding you with riches is he trying to make it harder for you to get into heaven? Gods trying to tell you something. It would seem the more you suffer here on earth and the poorer you are the more Jesus is showing his love for you.

So basically heaven is full of poor needy people that couldn't make it in this world. And these will the same people that inherit the earth.
    So any success you receive is not a blessing, it's a curse for being an acheiver and not letting go and letting ? .

Well, it's one thing to be rich for richness sake and another for ? 's sake. There is the perception that if someone comes across wealth and success, that it is understood as a "blessing" in respect to ? when in actuality, we don't know what it truly means other than what we think it is. Wealth and success could just as well be a curse to someone. Poverty and struggle could be a blessing. Who knows? It's just not our call...but that is what we do.
  • Rock_Well
    Rock_Well Members Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options

I feel ya on this. Getting into eternal paradise isn't easy, but if you're righteous it shouldn't be as much as struggle as it is for thw wicked. But you did reach a righteous conclusion that ? does require the whole man. And He not playing no games either.

It all starts by being reborn though my dood. The way ? says it.

So I do want to ask you something DoU. Have you been baptized?? This old idea that all a person has to do is simply confess Jesus and believe and then they set for life is a false denominational teaching and following it will only have a person Hellbound.