Contemporary Young American Culture

Options
Whizdom187
Whizdom187 Members Posts: 2
edited February 2012 in The Social Lounge
I am 24 years old, about to be 25. I was raised in the U.S. but in a different type of culture. It has a lot to do with religion (Islam) also. Sex and all sexual relations are reserved for married partners (male and female). This is the case in Judaism and Christianity also, I believe. I am not saying me or anyone else living is fit to judge anyone else, and we all do stray from our paths, but abstinence (until marriage) and piety are elements of walking the right path and what have you. Even in terms of secular "morality" , chastity is a desired trait. Anyways, what I am trying to get an opinion on is what is up with America's culture? I dunno if it's just me, but it's like everywhere I look, including colleges, workplaces, streets, television, and music especially, everything is so sexual. Is it just my skewed perspective? I am pretty good with noticing nuances in peoples' actions which speak for them (actions speak louder than words and what not). I don't mean this as in I judge people or anything, it's just that if you meet someone with a swatsika tatted on their temple, then you already know what's good. So in that sense, I am an observer (not a creeper though...lol). It's like everyone is jus tryin to sex everyone. Is it just my age group? It can't be, because there is so much adultery also. Adulterers pretty much have their own little niche communities (seriously). Search any recent divorce rates or trends, and they are ridiculous. Teenagers on drugs having unprotected (on top of it all) sex. Young dudes sniffin pills. So much alcoholism also. Its so disgusting at times, and the innocence of a child is just so much more pure when you think about all this. I hope I didn't get too far off, but just droppin some real thoughts, whatchu guys think?

Comments

• Whizdom187
    Whizdom187 Members Posts: 2
    Options
    What do you mean by is this you?
  • Amotekun
    Amotekun Members Posts: 7,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2012
    Options
    I find the perception laughable that America at any given point and time in it's short history was a bastion of morality chastity and virtue. That's the lie that get's spun in school and on Leave it to ? . America has always been a din of ? 's, pimps, junkies, and flunkies.
  • Lurker6
    Lurker6 Members Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So ur another one of those religious folk who saw a few over hyped stories on CNN and Fox News. So you now believe everyone is bullyin kids to death on drugs and just trying to ? everything?
  • Amotekun
    Amotekun Members Posts: 7,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    heyslick wrote:
    I find the perception laughable that America at any given point and time in it's short history was a bastion of morality chastity and virtue. That's the lie that get's spun in school and on Leave it to ? . America has always been a din of ? 's, pimps, junkies, and flunkies.

That melting ? has been boiling over for decades. The biggest culprit is the TV media & its influence on the weak-minded youth of this country. You wanna see some real decadence?/moral and sexual turpitude just look at the hip-hop culture. Those days of Leave-it-to-? are gone and will never return.

Those Leave it to ? days never existed. That era was the heyday of Black lynchings and rioting by white masses in both the Southern cities and Northern cities. The corruption was brought about by a ? structure.
  • JJ 1975
    JJ 1975 Members Posts: 336
    Options
    While I believe things have worsened, or been exploited more since the 60's, I think America is still fairly uptight in a lot of ways in comparison to other countries. Does that mean that we are moral or immoral, don't know. I believe the problem is in lack of parenting though. If you are raised with morals, the media doesn't matter so much...imo. All that being said, I agree that America is definitely financially and morally bankrupt!
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If you talk to people from Europe, they believe Americans are sexually repressed and that's why it seems to be such a big issue here.
  • ustreet_monsta
    ustreet_monsta Members Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭
    Options

Exactly. There are no good ol days.

And its actually the moral hand-ringing and Puritan inspired fear of sex that exacerbates the media and cultural sensationalism of sex, drugs & alcohol. If we didnt raise our kids with the idea that sex is bad and drugs are dangerous they wouldnt be so eager to experiment.
  • JJ 1975
    JJ 1975 Members Posts: 336
    Options
    JJ 1975 wrote: »
    While I believe things have worsened, or been exploited more since the 60's, I think America is still fairly uptight in a lot of ways in comparison to other countries. Does that mean that we are moral or immoral, don't know. I believe the problem is in lack of parenting though. If you are raised with morals, the media doesn't matter so much...imo. All that being said, I agree that America is definitely financially and morally bankrupt!

Couldn't have said it better.

• Wild Self
    Wild Self Members Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If you talk to people from Europe, they believe Americans are sexually repressed and that's why it seems to be such a big issue here.

This is true. Went to the UK and Germany and women, from American standards, are loose. And humble.
  • il nonno
    il nonno Members Posts: 124 ✭✭
    Options
    so much for the morality in islamic countries.. Human beings are born to be hypocrites. Thats our basic nature and there's apparently nothing we can do about it. Preach virtue, practice vice has been the way for ages.. EVERYWHERE.
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Exactly brotha!!!! America has always been a land of ZERO morality. From the mass slaughter of Native Americans to slavery to lack of civil rights to endless wars, since when has America EVER been a bastion of morality??? LMAO.....I love when people say American culture has changed for "the worse", HAHAHAHA since when?? American culture is ALL ABOUT MONEY, and SEX SELLS. End of story.
  • kingblaze84
    Options
    JJ 1975 wrote: »

Yes, America is definitely financially bankrupt, due to irresponsible govt spending on ? . Exactly why American culture will continue on its path, sex sells, and the media will throw it around as long as money is needed. Get used to it, and frankly, roll with it. Nothing anyone can do about it at this point.
  • loch121
    loch121 Members Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    Exactly brotha!!!! America has always been a land of ZERO morality.
    the key problem with your argument remains bashing only America for having zero morality, as if any other nation (or the inhabitants of that nation) are more moral and less selfish.

• kingblaze84
    Options
    janklow wrote: »
    Exactly brotha!!!! America has always been a land of ZERO morality.
    the key problem with your argument remains bashing only America for having zero morality, as if any other nation (or the inhabitants of that nation) are more moral and less selfish.

America has one of the most evil histories out of any nation in history. Top 5 minimum. I love America overall, but I will not deny its sick and evil history that sadly, has bankrupted America's future in the long run, at the expense of the 99%.....it is what it is.
  • janklow
    Options
    America has one of the most evil histories out of any nation in history. Top 5 minimum.
    study more history

really, though, the point remains that railing against the lack of morality in America alone is ignoring the fact that the same issue exists EVERYWHERE

• kingblaze84
    edited March 2012
    Options
    America has one of the most evil histories out of any nation in history. Top 5 minimum.
    study more history

really, though, the point remains that railing against the lack of morality in America alone is ignoring the fact that the same issue exists EVERYWHERE

I've studied history very extensively, and came to my conclusion after much thought and education. I have a bachelors degree from Hunter College, my degree is in political science....

Immorality exists everywhere, as I have said. But for the threadstarter to act like immorality in America is a recent development shows he is extremely naive or ignorant of America's history.
  • janklow
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Immorality exists everywhere, as I have said.
    tell you what: notify me when you're railing against the immorality of a specific nation that's NOT America

• kingblaze84
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Immorality exists everywhere, as I have said.
    tell you what: notify me when you're railing against the immorality of a specific nation that's NOT America

I criticize the disgusting policies of Israel all the time. I've also criticized the sexist nature of many Islamic nations, including many in the Middle East. Sadly, America is the BIGGEST purveyor of violence in the world today, and is by far the most bloodthirsty nation around. Martin Luther King Jr said the same thing in 1968, and nothing has changed for the most part when it comes to America's endless wars. America is hated in many parts of the world for its shameless support of Israel's violence and apartheid, and also for America's own disgusting track record of bloodshed. America is a beautiful nation in many ways, and overall most people in America are good. But the federal govt of America is run by bloodthirsty sociopaths, Democrats and Republicans. Sorry if my statements bother you but millions of people around the world agree with me, including most Americans I know.
  • kingblaze84
    Options
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/05/us-targeted-killings-eric-holder_n_1320515.html

U.S. Can ? American Citizens Without Trial: Eric Holder

--Just a small example of what I am talking about.
  • janklow
    Options
    I criticize the disgusting policies of Israel all the time. I've also criticized the sexist nature of many Islamic nations, including many in the Middle East.
    i grant you the Israel part, but then given that it's very easy to make that about the US... and really, the sexist nature of Islamic nations? i am sure you have, but this seems like something that happened once.

...and then, the rest of the post is oddly about America once again. i think i wanted to know when you were railing against the immorality of a specific nation that's NOT America?

ps. when considering the morality of America, i don't find it odd that a selfish nation that is the most powerful nation has the biggest footprint of being a ? . what i DO find odd is thinking that America's influence makes it more immoral than all the other countries out there.

• kingblaze84
    Options
    I criticize the disgusting policies of Israel all the time. I've also criticized the sexist nature of many Islamic nations, including many in the Middle East.
    i grant you the Israel part, but then given that it's very easy to make that about the US... and really, the sexist nature of Islamic nations? i am sure you have, but this seems like something that happened once.

...and then, the rest of the post is oddly about America once again. i think i wanted to know when you were railing against the immorality of a specific nation that's NOT America?

ps. when considering the morality of America, i don't find it odd that a selfish nation that is the most powerful nation has the biggest footprint of being a ? . what i DO find odd is thinking that America's influence makes it more immoral than all the other countries out there.

What difference does it make how often I've criticized a nation that isn't America? You already have admitted I've criticized Israel, so there you go. In either case this topic is talking about YOUNG AMERICAN culture. Let's try to stick to the subject Janklow....if it bothers you that I criticize America so much, just know I have given America much credit for many things. Americans for the most part are good people, I say this very safely. It's not all bad here, but American govt is crooked to the core and based on what I am hearing politicians say these days, it's likely a war with Iran will take place sometime this year. That will be a disaster for the world, and as usual, America is always first in line to sign up for bloodshed and trillions spent on war while cutting back on help for the middle and working class. Sickening.
  • kingblaze84
    Options
    Reason why I love Occupy Wall Street.......one of the great things about this movement is that so many young people are in it....

http://www.presstv.com/detail/229985.html

Occupy AIPAC demonstrators have held a rally outside the pro-Israel lobby group’s annual conference in Washington to voice their opposition to potential war on Iran.

The protesters, part of the nationwide Occupy movement, held placards reading “No War on Iran” and “They Lied about Iraq, They’re Lying about Iran” as they rallied outside the Washington Convention Center on the first day of the American Israel Public Affairs Committee (AIPAC) conference on Sunday.

“After 10 years of war, the American people need a foreign policy that focuses on diplomacy, not military intervention,” said Medea Benjamin, one of the protesters.

“We are rallying to demand that our current leaders not take us down the same patch as past leaders did in Iraq,” Benjamin said.

The protesters also called on US President Barack Obama to reject Israel’s push for war on Iran.

However, while addressing the conference, Obama recalled a number of occasions in which Washington had stood by Tel Aviv no matter the atrocities it had committed, adding that “When the chips are down I have Israel’s back.”

In addition, the protesters slammed the atrocities committed by Israel against Palestinians, calling for Tel Aviv to end its occupation of the West Bank and the Gaza Strip.

Protesters have vowed to remain outside the convention center until the last day of the conference on Tuesday.

• kingblaze84
    Options
    heyslick wrote: »
    Reason why I love Occupy Wall Street.......one of the great things about this movement is that so many young people are in it....

http://www.presstv.com/detail/229985.html

Occupy AIPAC demonstrators have held a rally outside the pro-Israel lobby group’s annual conference in Washington to voice their opposition to potential war on Iran.

The protesters, part of the nationwide Occupy movement, held placards reading “No War on Iran” and “They Lied about Iraq, They’re Lying about Iran” as they rallied outside the Washington Convention Center on the first day of the American Israel Public Affairs Committee (AIPAC) conference on Sunday.

“After 10 years of war, the American people need a foreign policy that focuses on diplomacy, not military intervention,” said Medea Benjamin, one of the protesters.

“We are rallying to demand that our current leaders not take us down the same patch as past leaders did in Iraq,” Benjamin said.

The protesters also called on US President Barack Obama to reject Israel’s push for war on Iran.

However, while addressing the conference, Obama recalled a number of occasions in which Washington had stood by Tel Aviv no matter the atrocities it had committed, adding that “When the chips are down I have Israel’s back.”

In addition, the protesters slammed the atrocities committed by Israel against Palestinians, calling for Tel Aviv to end its occupation of the West Bank and the Gaza Strip.

Protesters have vowed to remain outside the convention center until the last day of the conference on Tuesday.

Here's some really irony - I've seen you posting within this site for years & you are far from being disadvantaged....& you've got hard working parents that love you and have provided for you.....IE instilled values and work ethic etc. BTW so Y are playing both sides against the middle and playing the victim. Imo you're a sniveling little two faced punk and if those who are really so bad off knew this...they would probably run you off or worse? Oh how's that NEW job of yours working out?

My parents have provided a lot for me and I am forever grateful for them (although I give more credit to my mother for raising me right). My new job worked out good but I am moving on to an even better paying job soon. I support Occupy Wall Street because they are standing up against the corrupt and disgusting political system in place in America. American govt is a disaster at this point and has interests strictly beholden to the rich and military industrial complex. Occupy Wall Street isn't a perfect movement, but many young and old people have joined this beautiful movement because we know something is wrong with the system. I will support it with every ounce of my being, and if that bothers you, join an anti-Occupy Wall Street movement. For now, I will march with my brothers and sisters in the movement and work to get change done. If change doesn't happen, it's ok, I can go to sleep happy knowing I tried.