RuffDraft
RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 2012 in IllTek
Official-IPad-3-announcement-March-7th-Apple-620x423.jpg

Anybody watching the conference?

What do you think it'll be called?

What do you think the specs will be?

I'm hoping that:

it's called the iPad 3 and not the iPad HD or 2S as some reports are suggesting as possibilities.
It has a Quad Core Processor and not a suped up Dual Core.
That there is a re-design of sorts that makes it lighter, perhaps with the carbon fibre(er) case.
The same battery length.
iOS 5.1.

I'm expecting:

Siri
Double the resolution (4X the pixels) a.k.a. The Retina Display that's all but confirmed.

Comments

• Matt-
    Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    good. nothing major
  • Matt-
    Options
    nevermind. the updates seem pretty major
  • Matt-
    Options
    Steve Would be pround. Same price. everything better. apple just shut the ? down again
  • grumpy_new_yorker
    grumpy_new_yorker Members Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    $499 is the entry level price. Coming March 16th.
  • eyes low
    eyes low Members Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    damn bro i just got a ipad 2 for christmas
  • RuffDraft
    Options
    No siri but a keyboard that has the icon??? Strange, I was thinking Siri would be available for the iPad… and no 'one more thing…'

I agree though, Steve would be proud. Great release, just waiting on the site to come back up so I can get one!!!
  • Matt-
    Options
    ipad2 now starting at $399.

i've got the 2. bought it last year. for what i use it for, it doesn't sound like the new version is enough of an upgrade to make me salty about it.
  • RuffDraft
    Options
    Otherwise, Quad Core processor with that Retina Display at the same battery life will be sublime!!! No name for it though, just 'the new iPad', they're going into the realms of how they do the Macs and iPods… iPhone to follow in October?
  • RuffDraft
    Options
    matt- wrote: »

i've got the 2. bought it last year. for what i use it for, it doesn't sound like the new version is enough of an upgrade to make me salty about it.

Lol @ salty. I sold my iPad 1 last week, looking forward to upgrading from that… I think it should always be at most a two year upgrade plan… upgrading every year is too expensive if you're also running an iPhone and Mac/s.
  • grumpy_new_yorker
    grumpy_new_yorker Members Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It will have a quad core, but the thing is how many apps are going to take advantage of it? they are just barely catching up to dual cores.
  • RuffDraft
    Options
    BIGRuss wrote: »
    It will have a quad core, but the thing is how many apps are going to take advantage of it? they are just barely catching up to dual cores.

The GPU is quad-core. Conference has taken place fam :tu

http://www.engadget.com/2012/03/07/new-ipad-vs-ipad-2/
  • Matt-
    Options
    RuffDraft wrote: »

Lol @ salty. I sold my iPad 1 last week, looking forward to upgrading from that… I think it should always be at most a two year upgrade plan… upgrading every year is too expensive if you're also running an iPhone and Mac/s.

yeah, i'm still on the 3GS iphone and got the ipad2. I've alway been about a year behind on apple products just because its usually cheaper and i dont feel the need to always have the most up to date product. and plus i dont use it all that much, so like i said for what i do use it for, its suitable for me. but for people heavy into gaming, photography, video editing, music editing, etc...then yeah i could see how this would be a big draw

has anyone got the AppleTV device?
  • .American Loo
    .American Loo Members Posts: 303
    Options
    i've got the 2

i'll wait for the 4.

this isn't enough to make me upgrade.
  • caddo man
    caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I just cant jump on the apple bandwagon. ? just aint pulled me in yet.
  • RuffDraft
    Options
    RuffDraft wrote: »

yeah, i'm still on the 3GS iphone and got the ipad2. I've alway been about a year behind on apple products just because its usually cheaper and i dont feel the need to always have the most up to date product. and plus i dont use it all that much, so like i said for what i do use it for, its suitable for me. but for people heavy into gaming, photography, video editing, music editing, etc...then yeah i could see how this would be a big draw

has anyone got the AppleTV device?

Cool, I'm on the iPhone 4 but I'll upgrade for the 5 later this year. Sweet on the iPad 2 though.

Yeah, definitely, I mean not for people heavily into it though as that's what the Mac is for (still, in my opinion). I can't imagine using the iPad for as much production as Apple would like you to think it does… it's more of a consumption device to me.

Having said that, it's an incredible piece of tech, can't wait to cop it.. still pressing refresh on all my computers… it's going to be a long night.

I don't have the AppleTV device but it looks good with the new interface. Would be worth it for the price, but I wouldn't cop as much stuff through the TV, IMO, it's a lot of money to buy things on the store, which is a huge negative.
    i've got the 2

i'll wait for the 4.

this isn't enough to make me upgrade.

Yeah, it's like the iPad 1 was a pointless upgrade to the 2, although the jump from the 1 to the 2 was bigger than this increment, IMO.
    caddo man wrote: »
    I just cant jump on the apple bandwagon. ? just aint pulled me in yet.

If its not to your needs or wants, then fair enough. Think everyone who is an average modern day consumer would love an iPad once they had one though. If you're trying to produce more with a computer though, Macs are still the best to me.

• Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Apple wait till everybody got the ipad 2 for xmas to drop the new one.

That's basically 3 ipads in 2 years.

They just snatching yall money.

Probably around Xmas time the iPad 4 gon drop.

Its a great device to have but dropping so many so quick is ? up.
  • Craig Robinson
    Craig Robinson Members Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I got a MacBook Pro and an iPhone in the past 6 months. I was resistant to the Apple ? for so long but my I've gone through three laptops in the three years. PC's just seem to self-destruct after a while.
  • RuffDraft
    Options
    Apple wait till everybody got the ipad 2 for xmas to drop the new one.

That's basically 3 ipads in 2 years.

They just snatching yall money.

Probably around Xmas time the iPad 4 gon drop.

Its a great device to have but dropping so many so quick is ? up.

iPad's been released every year at the same period for two years now. They're not really snatching your money as nobody (in the right mind) will update their current iPad if it was the latest, to get the new one. The shame is that people get them for christmas when people in the know realise that it's only a 3 months wait until the next one.
    I got a MacBook Pro and an iPhone in the past 6 months. I was resistant to the Apple ? for so long but my I've gone through three laptops in the three years. PC's just seem to self-destruct after a while.

Nice cop on the MBP, that'll last you at least 4 years. I've been telling people for years that they shouldn't get PCs for that same reason.
  • MrSoutCity
    MrSoutCity Members Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    My galaxy tab still >>>>>>>>>>>>>iPad 3
  • Matt-
    Options

better stay on that wifi
    One careless download of a 1080p high-definition movie from the iTunes Store over 4G could eat up your entire monthly plan and then some. In fact, if you could achieve download speeds at the theoretical maximum 72Mbps of LTE, you could blow through a 5GB plan in just under 10 minutes, and Verizon's largest 10GB tier in about 20
  • RuffDraft
    Options
    better stay on that wifi
    One careless download of a 1080p high-definition movie from the iTunes Store over 4G could eat up your entire monthly plan and then some. In fact, if you could achieve download speeds at the theoretical maximum 72Mbps of LTE, you could blow through a 5GB plan in just under 10 minutes, and Verizon's largest 10GB tier in about 20

Haha that's why I stick with WiFi, these data plans are ridiculous… if I want to have 4G, I want to pay a maximum of $30 for an unlimited plan. Just about to go through some different articles and see how its been received as a device… I'm thinking not as well as last year…
  • Mantequilla
    Mantequilla Members Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Without siri, the logic of jumping from the 2 to 3 seems pointless. Better screen + slightly faster + dictate emails isnt worth an entire new purchase imo. Ipad 1 to 3 would be understandable
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i would think siri can just be implemented through download in the future though.
  • Matt-
    Options
    i don't have siri on any device but from what people have told me, its a nice tool, but whatever you need the answer to, you can just google. meaning, its not really a deal breaking feature.
  • caddo man
    caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i don't have siri on any device but from what people have told me, its a nice tool, but whatever you need the answer to, you can just google. meaning, its not really a deal breaking feature.

true siri just does those small things for you. Two clicks and it is done. I heard google trying to finally get off there ? and use all that voice recognition research they have and produce a suitable rival. I hope they cant it beyond siri. Instead of following suit.