WestCoast we did it!!! Kendrick Lamar signed to Aftermath!!!

Options

Comments

• yeah i rap so don't
    yeah i rap so don't Members Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ruff what happened was Schoolboy Q sold some records, Ab-Soul sold some records, Jay Rock sold some records, they all got more youtube views and were touring or doing shows and this made them a complete product as a whole. This is why Interscope gave-in. They were already taking offers for Kendrick, Schoolboy Q, and Jay Rock individually. Why split them up when you know they have valued interest from the industry and you can increase your profit by getting a joint venture deal? It happened to be with Interscope. Only Kendrick is on Aftermath. The rest are on Interscope. I do not think my opinion is above anybody else's, but I do believe that some opinions are more educated than others. I was listening to this camp two years before "No Sleep Til NY" came out. The difference between the other people who signed and failed than Dude Dawg is Dude Dawg got his company signed. They can sign more artists now. Through the years there have been rappers they have had who have not worked out for one reason or another. They are confident in who they have now.
  • RuffDraft
    RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Ruff what happened was Schoolboy Q sold some records, Ab-Soul sold some records, Jay Rock sold some records, they all got more youtube views and were touring or doing shows and this made them a complete product as a whole. This is why Interscope gave-in. They were already taking offers for Kendrick, Schoolboy Q, and Jay Rock individually. Why split them up when you know they have valued interest from the industry and you can increase your profit by getting a joint venture deal? It happened to be with Interscope. Only Kendrick is on Aftermath. The rest are on Interscope. I do not think my opinion is above anybody else's, but I do believe that some opinions are more educated than others. I was listening to this camp two years before "No Sleep Til NY" came out. The difference between the other people who signed and failed than Dude Dawg is Dude Dawg got his company signed. They can sign more artists now. Through the years there have been rappers they have had who have not worked out for one reason or another. They are confident in who they have now.

I still think 'Interscope gave-in' sounds negative for the artists of Top Dawg as a whole.

They had to improve their overall popularity for Interscope to take notice; when their product alone should have been loved and promoted by Interscope. They shouldn't have to put the ground work in to show that they have talent, what happened to record companies knowing more than the fans? Hip Hop has a lack of good music for this reason alone.

If someone had to hear my music for a year before they would sign me and my product was as good then as it is now, I'd tell them to shove it and sign with a label who wanted me for me and not my possible ability to make them more $$$s. We all know how that one goes…

Props on the info with regards to which labels each are on and I do agree that some people's opinions have a weightier substance. But we're all hip hop fans here so we all want to discuss this signing, which is possibly the biggest in recent times.

I hope that I'm wrong with regards to Kendrick's future, I'm a huge fan as we all are, but history tells us that this is a bad move and I believe that even if he does become popular, his music and journey may have been negatively influenced in some people's opinions.

Creative Freedom + Not caring about sales is why Lamar really made huge strides with the Kendrick Lamar EP.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgfY_9rXlZE
    As you know already.
  • yeah i rap so don't
    Options
    Ruff I know your opinion and concern comes from a genuine concern. i value your opinion as a listener. The thing with labels indie and major want you to have the ground work. Interscope was interested, but with the pushing their artist out there more it forced their hand. They did interviews where Kendrick and Schoolboy Q did not want to put a price tag on anything yet. It is clear Dude Dawg knew they had to turn youtube views into record sales to get them established. The youtube views are what got Kendrick listened t by Dre. The Game, Lil Wayne, Talib Kweli etc...were already making music with them. Did they blow-up form that? We all know they did not. What did happen was that got them more attention. People say what they want about Jay Rock on here, but without him Kendrick is not where he is at today. Jay Rock's deal at Warner Brothers got a lot of attention to their camp. I remember them pressing up hard copies of mixtapes and selling what they could, and only being able to move a couple and giving away the rest for free. I would also like to say I am not an involved party. I know people because that is life. We all run into people. I saw the Nipsey Hussle train coming in 2005. I saw the TDE train in 2006. I am just lucky to have run-in and met people. I am nobody special at all. I have sat in no meetings involved with these camps to discuss anything. Do I hear stuff on records from conversations I had with them? Yes. Do I ever get credited for it? No. No big deal, the message is bigger than the messenger. I have never spoke to Kendrick a day in my life. Have I spoke to his peers and people that decide when his music gets put out? Yes. I support because I like the music. I never really cared who signs to where as long as I get to listen and enjoy as a selfish fan. Fans should be greedy and selfish and in constant want of music. Will we get a different product? I am sure we will. Will be it better or worse? That has to be answered.

Will the songs with Nas, Eminem, Andre 3k, Q-Tip ever be released? Top Dawg Entertainment believes the world will see them.
  • DMTxTHC
    DMTxTHC Members Posts: 14,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Props to Kendrick and TBE. I'm sure Kendrick is gonna bubble from this deal, if not, then he still got a chance to blow. Not every rapper's first major label deal works out e.g. T.I. and 50 Cent.

Given that Game has one album left to be released on Aftermath, and that him and Kendrick got good chemistry, Game will probably lend some verses to Kendrick/TBE, which would be a good look.

I would also like to see some collabos between them and Nipsey Hussle.

And Detox is never coming out.

• RuffDraft
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Ruff I know your opinion and concern comes from a genuine concern. i value your opinion as a listener. The thing with labels indie and major want you to have the ground work. Interscope was interested, but with the pushing their artist out there more it forced their hand. They did interviews where Kendrick and Schoolboy Q did not want to put a price tag on anything yet. It is clear Dude Dawg knew they had to turn youtube views into record sales to get them established. The youtube views are what got Kendrick listened t by Dre. The Game, Lil Wayne, Talib Kweli etc...were already making music with them. Did they blow-up form that? We all know they did not. What did happen was that got them more attention. People say what they want about Jay Rock on here, but without him Kendrick is not where he is at today. Jay Rock's deal at Warner Brothers got a lot of attention to their camp. I remember them pressing up hard copies of mixtapes and selling what they could, and only being able to move a couple and giving away the rest for free. I would also like to say I am not an involved party. I know people because that is life. We all run into people. I saw the Nipsey Hussle train coming in 2005. I saw the TDE train in 2006. I am just lucky to have run-in and met people. I am nobody special at all. I have sat in no meetings involved with these camps to discuss anything. Do I hear stuff on records from conversations I had with them? Yes. Do I ever get credited for it? No. No big deal, the message is bigger than the messenger. I have never spoke to Kendrick a day in my life. Have I spoke to his peers and people that decide when his music gets put out? Yes. I support because I like the music. I never really cared who signs to where as long as I get to listen and enjoy as a selfish fan. Fans should be greedy and selfish and in constant want of music. Will we get a different product? I am sure we will. Will be it better or worse? That has to be answered.

Will the songs with Nas, Eminem, Andre 3k, Q-Tip ever be released? Top Dawg Entertainment believes the world will see them.

Props on the discussion. I think that the product we see may not be as good as we have already received. Yet, I thought that the Kendrick Lamar EP was the best Kendrick could do, his ode to hip hop and himself, the moment that an artist really sees their lane in music. Yet, this couldn't be further from the truth given the surprisingly complete and brilliant Section.80.

So I agree that his product could be better. If it ever is, we're in for a real treat and Kendrick is on his way to hip hop history books.

Overall, I just hope that the product comes. I'm really not a fan of Major Label politics, which is perhaps why I like the consistency and throughput of artists in the underground who continue to deliver a top class album every year or two. Their tracks are all made for the cohesiveness of the album, rather than a cohesive album with 3 radio friendly singles.

The best of luck to them though. I understand that signing to a Major isn't something that someone takes lightly in this day and age… I just hope the deal allows us to see Kendrick's album in the next 18 months.

I don't know if you know the Indie group from Florida by the name of CYNE, but they reached a certain level of critique and philosophy on their records when they released Evolution Fight. They questioned life and choices etc. which is where I think Kendrick is at now. They produced their best music in this period, as afterwards, they no longer questioned but knew the answers. Whilst that's great for the individual, it's not as great for the music. We need a Kendrick Lamar LP and we need it in the next 18 months, at the latest 24.

That would be a year longer than we've had to wait previously and if we wait any longer, we may miss the moment of a great musician.
  • GeE-757
    GeE-757 Members Posts: 6,441
    Options
    Young-Ice wrote: »
    Aftermath

noooo...i hope ? azz dre aint have lamar n da studio like this wit da KY NO MANN lol...

http://youtu.be/hteHcc9E3vc

real talk tho after wat alize said on I NEED A DOCTOR about how all he needz is da WHITE BOy this could turn 2 ? quick smh..

http://youtu.be/EAglNW0bZOM
  • H-Rap 180
    H-Rap 180 Members Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    GeE-757 wrote: »
    Young-Ice wrote: »
    Aftermath

noooo...i hope ? azz dre aint have lamar n da studio like this wit da KY NO MANN lol...

http://youtu.be/hteHcc9E3vc

real talk tho after wat alize said on I NEED A DOCTOR about how all he needz is da WHITE BOy this could turn 2 ? quick smh..

http://youtu.be/EAglNW0bZOM

No Mann! You wrong for that LOL.

Dre didn't do too bad of a job with "Red Album" and the machine gave game a nice budget and a decent push so with that in mind I think it's a nice situation for Black Hippy.
  • GeE-757
    edited March 2012
    Options
    H-Rap 180 wrote: »

Dre didn't do too bad of a job with "Red Album" and the machine gave game a nice budget and a decent push so with that in mind I think it's a nice situation for Black Hippy.

im just sayin fam everybody is ? on euromath & me & u both no sisqo is a change of heart tongue ring queen thatz y he is only sellin 100k da 1st wk now when he was PLATINUM playin a ggggay-unit doja lol...ive only bought 1 album wit da euromath logo on it & that was chronic2001 after that i aint buy no mo albumz wit da euromath logo after i got da DEATHROW CHRONIC2000 & 2GANGSTA4RADIO albumz back n 2000...if lamar dropz on euromath that will b da 2nd euromath album i bought hopefully ? azz dre can prove me wrong cuz he has yet 2 wit DETOX pac call;d that ? AZZ DRE AINT COMIN lol.,.

http://youtu.be/fwJnycYyu3s
  • H-Rap 180
    edited March 2012
    Options
    GeE-757 wrote: »

im just sayin fam everybody is ? on euromath & me & u both no sisqo is a change of heart tongue ring queen thatz y he is only sellin 100k da 1st wk now when he was PLATINUM playin a ggggay-unit doja lol...ive only bought 1 album wit da euromath logo on it & that was chronic2001 after that i aint buy no mo albumz wit da euromath logo after i got da DEATHROW CHRONIC2000 & 2GANGSTA4RADIO albumz back n 2000...if lamar dropz on euromath that will b da 2nd euromath album i bought hopefully ? azz dre can prove me wrong cuz he has yet 2 wit DETOX pac call;d that ? AZZ DRE AINT COMIN lol.,.

http://youtu.be/fwJnycYyu3s
    That video LMBAO!

Damn Vanderbilt just beat Kentucky :)>-
    Lakers bout to mash-out Boston just watch

Man, J-Rock and Schoolboy ain't going to let Dre, Em, or 50 molest Kendrick, his ? is safe from Dre, its meager out here and the biggest label is still Aftermath so I want to think positive because we had a long drought, y'all got Timbaland and we got Dre so you gotta play the cards you dealt.

The West-Coast is not just them Odd Future weirdos or that ? LiL B but them bums get all the pub, along with them corny white ? , once the machine gets behind Black Hippy they gonna be hotter than A$AP Mobb, Odd Future and all them nu-crews that's buzzing.

Watch when Quik give Kendrick a track #instantclassic
  • GeE-757
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Damn Vanderbilt just beat Kentucky :)>-
    Lakers bout to mash-out Boston just watch

Man, J-Rock and Schoolboy ain't going to let Dre, Em, or 50 molest Kendrick, his ? is safe from Dre, its meager out here and the biggest label is still Aftermath so I want to think positive because we had a long drought, y'all got Timbaland and we got Dre so you gotta play the cards you dealt.

The West-Coast is not just them Odd Future weirdos or that ? LiL B but them bums get all the pub, along with them corny white ? , once the machine gets behind Black Hippy they gonna be hotter than A$AP Mobb, Odd Future and all them nu-crews that's buzzing.

Watch when Quik give Kendrick a track #instantclassic

yeah that ? is kray i cant believe florida st just beat north carolina fa da acc championship duke needz 2 step they game up 2 smh....lol@ his ? is safe from dre...i hear ya itz just i dont have no faith n euromath especially after alize said all he needz is MARSHALL on I NEED A DOCTOR all dre really carez about is da CRACKA not da WEST again i hope ? dre can prove me wrong wit lamar cuz imma cop da album & i;d like 2 hear a quik & lamar trak.,
  • JDSTAYWITIT
    JDSTAYWITIT Members Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol @ "Alize Dre" .... That ? got me weak
  • CirocObama
    CirocObama Members Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jay Rock is already signed to Strange Music. The other artists on TDE didn't sign solo deals to Interscope. I guess you can compare it to the old Ruff Ryders situation were DMX was on Def Jam as a solo artist but Ruff Ryders dropped their compilations on Interscope and he still was able to work everything out.

Not trying to be one of those ? but i think it's hilarious and even more obvious how much ? just go off hype. I've been ? with TDE since 2006/2007 back when a ? had to download their music from Datpiff and rip joints from their Myspace pages and ? lol. I remember me being on here trying to push them (meaning Jay Rock and Kendrick, when he went by K.Dot) especially back at the time and most ? wasn't ? with it. Now all of a sudden everybody and they mama a Kendrick fan. Yeah i get that to some his music might've gotten better but let's keep it 100 most of y'all just dickriding.
  • t_m_a_c_f_a_n73088
    t_m_a_c_f_a_n73088 Members Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    While Kendrick Lamar is in the studio with Andre 3k, you are all debating if it is a good move. He basically has been operating under Aftermath for over a year before they made if official. Dude Dawg just wanted his whole movement signed since him and his team built these guys. He was talking to other places outside of Interscope. They just didn't want to miss out on Kendrick so they gave-in. I do not know how to feel about this and I will say I am easily the biggest Kendrick Lamar fan on here. I have written multiple reviews of his projects exclusively for TDE and I was the first person on this site to ever listen to him. The worries people are worrying about are coming from authentic places. I have the same worries. Yea, they have creative control, but that doesn't mean they get to put out what they want to now. Kendrick has 1,000's of songs we already never will hear. That is a known pattern for Dre artists, but trust me, he already has 1,000's of records we will never hear. TDE was already ran by Dude Dawg. None of the artists decide when their music gets put out. They got to choose names of their projects and song titles, but as far as what got released the brain-trust of TDE already ran that, not the artists. Now, they will have to get Interscope heads to agree with them. Not like Kendrick lost any power over his own music. He will make some great music, some average music, and some music we will never hear, like it always has been. The question is the ratio we will get with Interscopes input. TDE already has a home studio and another one in Hollywood they record at, as well as recording on the road. Now, they have a bigger budget and can use it to promote more heavily.
    If you think Kendrick was working with Pharrell, Pete Rock, Just Blaze without already having a budget then lol.

co-sign all this ? ....
    RuffDraft wrote: »

I still think 'Interscope gave-in' sounds negative for the artists of Top Dawg as a whole.

They had to improve their overall popularity for Interscope to take notice; when their product alone should have been loved and promoted by Interscope. They shouldn't have to put the ground work in to show that they have talent, what happened to record companies knowing more than the fans? Hip Hop has a lack of good music for this reason alone.

If someone had to hear my music for a year before they would sign me and my product was as good then as it is now, I'd tell them to shove it and sign with a label who wanted me for me and not my possible ability to make them more $$$s. We all know how that one goes…

Props on the info with regards to which labels each are on and I do agree that some people's opinions have a weightier substance. But we're all hip hop fans here so we all want to discuss this signing, which is possibly the biggest in recent times.

I hope that I'm wrong with regards to Kendrick's future, I'm a huge fan as we all are, but history tells us that this is a bad move and I believe that even if he does become popular, his music and journey may have been negatively influenced in some people's opinions.

Creative Freedom + Not caring about sales is why Lamar really made huge strides with the Kendrick Lamar EP.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgfY_9rXlZE
    As you know already.

Come on ruff be real. I get where your concern is coming from as well but record labels are in the business of making money. There are plenty of people that can spit that don't sell. With sales being as low as they are now I wouldn't sign anyone without a buzz. The days of finding "diamonds in the rough" and turning them into stars are gone. Now you can tell how fans will feel about an artist before you sign them thanks to touring and the internet.
  • RuffDraft
    Options

Come on ruff be real. I get where your concern is coming from as well but record labels are in the business of making money. There are plenty of people that can spit that don't sell. With sales being as low as they are now I wouldn't sign anyone without a buzz. The days of finding "diamonds in the rough" and turning them into stars are gone. Now you can tell how fans will feel about an artist before you sign them thanks to touring and the internet.

Granted, that's true… but I'm saying, Black Hippy been around since more than a year ago… so, I think the label had enough info to sign them at that point. I see it as more of a diss that they didn't want them a year ago and had to wait until now to take the plunge.

I understand where you're coming from, but Lamar has chosen to become the mainstream based artist… let's see what he does with it… I suppose if you're to reach superstardom, this is where it begins… we know Aftermath can do it (see Eminem and 50 Cent) but they've failed to break an artist since The Game 6 years ago… and their track record is pathetic with the exception of those two artists and The Game.

I just don't think Dre's production would pull me into a signing anymore… he's fell off. It's a shame TDE couldn't find a way to do it on their own… but I've said enough on the matter now… I'll wait with hope that I don't sit here with 'Told you so' running through my head in the years to come...
  • H-Rap 180
    Options
    CirocObama wrote: »
    Jay Rock is already signed to Strange Music. The other artists on TDE didn't sign solo deals to Interscope. I guess you can compare it to the old Ruff Ryders situation were DMX was on Def Jam as a solo artist but Ruff Ryders dropped their compilations on Interscope and he still was able to work everything out.

Not trying to be one of those ? but i think it's hilarious and even more obvious how much ? just go off hype. I've been ? with TDE since 2006/2007 back when a ? had to download their music from Datpiff and rip joints from their Myspace pages and ? lol. I remember me being on here trying to push them (meaning Jay Rock and Kendrick, when he went by K.Dot) especially back at the time and most ? wasn't ? with it. Now all of a sudden everybody and they mama a Kendrick fan. Yeah i get that to some his music might've gotten better but let's keep it 100 most of y'all just dickriding.
    You poor thing. :(

It must make you feel unhappy inside to see that Kendrick Lamar is finally getting the attention he deserves and you never got the credit YOU deserved for being his fan back in 2006 when he was K.Dot.

Most of us are just happy to see him in a situation were he can get the budget that he deserves and honestly could care less if fans are just now getting hip to him after the XXl Freshman cover, the Snoop co-sign, Section 80, and the Dre co-sign in addition to his music and videos....

Its sad when fans just cant be happy for an artist..

• JDSTAYWITIT
    Options

It must make you feel unhappy inside to see that Kendrick Lamar is finally getting the attention he deserves and you never got the credit YOU deserved for being his fan back in 2006 when he was K.Dot.

Most of us are just happy to see him in a situation were he can get the budget that he deserves and honestly could care less if fans are just now getting hip to him after the XXl Freshman cover, the Snoop co-sign, Section 80, and the Dre co-sign in addition to his music and videos....

I'd agree..... There seems to be alot of personalizing going on in this thread from certain cats... I'm just happy dude is on and has the chance to spread this great music to a larger base ... I think we can all agree the game could use a dude like Kendrick
  • Garv*
    Garv* Members Posts: 474 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Te West got the best rappers coming out, no region comes close.

Fashawn, Kendrick Lamar, Schoolboy Q, Blu, Nipsey Hussle>>>>>>>>>>
  • CirocObama
    Options

I wasn't even talking about you. I was talking about certain individuals in here which is why i brought it up. I never said anything about not being happy that ppl are feeling his ? i'm just saying ppl here are the same way the pop-tart fans are, they go strictly of hype and hear-say.

Not trying to rock your boat now or nothing but i was actually gonna say that you were one of the only ones who actually supported some of those threads back then i still remember it. I don't know if you remember or not but my thing is don't say ? like "Westcoast ain't ? . Westcoast went from NWA etc to Kreyashawn etc" and things like that but then refusing to give artists out there with real darts a shot but on the flip jump on the bandwagon when Dre gives them a co-sign. That's why Westcoast artists rely on Dre so much, not just cuz he's a talented producer and ? but also cuz ? outside only give you a shot when he gives a co-sign.
  • H-Rap 180
    Options

I wasn't even talking about you. I was talking about certain individuals in here which is why i brought it up. I never said anything about not being happy that ppl are feeling his ? i'm just saying ppl here are the same way the pop-tart fans are, they go strictly of hype and hear-say.

Not trying to rock your boat now or nothing but i was actually gonna say that you were one of the only ones who actually supported some of those threads back then i still remember it. I don't know if you remember or not but my thing is don't say ? like "Westcoast ain't ? . Westcoast went from NWA etc to Kreyashawn etc" and things like that but then refusing to give artists out there with real darts a shot but on the flip jump on the bandwagon when Dre gives them a co-sign. That's why Westcoast artists rely on Dre so much, not just cuz he's a talented producer and ? but also cuz ? outside only give you a shot when he gives a co-sign.

I know you weren't talking about me but we dont need people putting down our fans because this ish is too important, I dont care if they just got hip to Kendrick Im just glad they are hip and paying attention even if they jump off the bandwagon a year from now. Let congratulate them and make them feel like they are a part of the movement because Im tired of the Kreayshawn/LiL B/Odd Future label on the West.

Black Hippy is the only crew qualified to rep the entire West Coast because they got Blood, Crip, Spitter & Smoker and thats the West Coast. I aint trippin with you family I just want to keep it positive.
  • CirocObama
    Options

I know you weren't talking about me but we dont need people putting down our fans because this ish is too important, I dont care if they just got hip to Kendrick Im just glad they are hip and paying attention even if they jump off the bandwagon a year from now. Let congratulate them and make them feel like they are a part of the movement because Im tired of the Kreayshawn/LiL B/Odd Future label on the West.

Black Hippy is the only crew qualified to rep the entire West Coast because they got Blood, Crip, Spitter & Smoker and thats the West Coast. I aint trippin with you family I just want to keep it positive.

Yeah don't get me wrong i don't trip but i gotta keep it 100 i get frustrated when ppl jump bandwagons and doesnt at least admit to it in music or just in general. But i aint tripping it's like like i'm one of those dudes who starts to hate on an artist as they get more popular i was just pointing out the fakeness in alot of ppl, but i guess that's life..
  • yeah i rap so don't
    Options

I am happy as hell for them. I saw that clown with the funny avatar with the corny name allude to me. I am not making anything personal. I am happy they new fans and I hope they get even more fans. I hope this is a success. LOL @ Ciroc I remember creating an Ab-Soul thread and being told it was wack as ? and the West Coast sucks and I doubt they even listened to the video.Recognition is something that is to strive for and it was not overnight for this camp at all.
  • JDSTAYWITIT
    Options

I am happy as hell for them. I saw that clown with the funny avatar with the corny name allude to me. I am not making anything personal. I am happy they new fans and I hope they get even more fans. I hope this is a success. LOL @ Ciroc I remember creating an Ab-Soul thread and being told it was wack as ? and the West Coast sucks and I doubt they even listened to the video.Recognition is something that is to strive for and it was not overnight for this camp at all.

I wasn't even talking about anything concerning your sensitive ass bruh... Lol ..... Unlike most times you suprisingly brought some solid conversation to the thread.
  • yeah i rap so don't
    Options
    Dizzel3000 wrote: »

I wasn't even talking about anything concerning your sensitive ass bruh... Lol ..... Unlike most times you suprisingly brought some solid conversation to the thread.

I was heat checking your response
  • JDSTAYWITIT
    Options
    Go take ur angry ass on somewhere .... Get urself a coke and a smile bruh lol..... It's a beautiful day out here in Cali ... U know u stay fumblin responding to me...
  • starvin
    starvin Members Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Best of luck to them black hippy are something special no doubt