Michael Bay Responds to TMNT Fans: Chill!

Options
Dr.Chemix
Dr.Chemix Members Posts: 11,816 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2012 in Lights, Camera, Action!
Michael Bay, the producer of next year's live-action Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie, has addressed the widespread negative reaction fans had upon hearing that Bay and Co. have reconceived the heroes in a half-shell as aliens.

In a posting at his Shoot For The Edit blog forum, Bay said, "Fans need to take a breath, and chill. They have not read the script. Our team is working closely with one of the original creators of Ninja Turtles to help expand and give a more complex back story. Relax, we are including everything that made you become fans in the first place. We are just building a richer world."

What say you, fans? Does Bay's statement "chill" you out? Sound off in the Comments below!

UPDATE, MARCH 21: Now two of the actors who voiced the Turtles in the three 1990s live-action movies have gotten drawn into the fray of what we've dubbed "Turtlegate." TMZ says Robbie Rist, who voiced Michaelangelo, posted a letter to Bay that said the filmmakers was "sodomizing" the beloved franchise with his alien approach. Said Rist, "I know believing in mutated talking turtles is kinda silly to begin with but am I supposed to be led to believe there are ninjas from another planet? The ? of our childhood memories continues ... "

However, Bay has a supporter in Rist's co-star Brian Tochi, who voiced Leonardo in the '90s movies. "If Michael Bay wants to do a different take on the turtles origin story ... mazel tov!," Tochi told TMZ. Another Bay supporter is Judith Hoag, who played April O'Neil in 1990's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Hoag, however, is a veteran of Bay films. She admitted to the site, "I was in Armageddon ... which Michael directed ... as well as Nightmare On Elm Street and I Am Number Four which he produced."

[source: IGN]

Comments

• ocelot
    ocelot Members Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nolan should've done it
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lmao already know this ? gonna be ass , it was just good to laugh at it
  • BenjaminE
    BenjaminE Members Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i dont think hes read the comics, seen the cartoons or the movies
  • Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nah, ? .

? you.
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I wish i could get his voicemail and leave him a ? you message
  • CracceR
    CracceR Members Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ocelot wrote: »
    Nolan should've done it

zack snyder

• satyrone
    satyrone Members Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    this ? is gonna have CG turtles and big ass explosions. hollywood needs to leave my childhood alone.
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    satyrone wrote: »
    this ? is gonna have CG turtles and big ass explosions. hollywood needs to leave my childhood alone.

• twizza 77
    twizza 77 Members Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Next thing you know, the Turtles don't like Pizza, they like buffalo wings. lol
  • truth_juice
    truth_juice Members Posts: 270 ✭✭
    Options
    Nah, ? .

? you.

lol. Short, simple & to the point.

• truth_juice
    truth_juice Members Posts: 270 ✭✭
    Options
    PimpMVP wrote: »
    People ? too much...

hopefully the move is a summer block buster and ? people off

action film with a lot of explosions>>>> action film with mostly plot

Maybe if you're 10 years old. There has to be a balance. This is something that has a preexisting plot and is already a classic. If he just wants to make ? explode why sully a franchise that people have a strong childhood connection with? Its narcissism. You dont go take the Mona Lisa and throw neon colors and a Knicks logo on it cuz it "looks cool".

• rage
    rage Members Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    PimpMVP wrote: »
    People ? too much...

hopefully the move is a summer block buster and ? people off

action film with a lot of explosions>>>> action film with mostly plot

Maybe if you're 10 years old. There has to be a balance. This is something that has a preexisting plot and is already a classic. If he just wants to make ? explode why sully a franchise that people have a strong childhood connection with? Its narcissism. You dont go take the Mona Lisa and throw neon colors and a Knicks logo on it cuz it "looks cool".

Exactly! The ? who cosign this "explosions" ? are ruining movies. Plenty of action movies are able to combine both a good story, character development and great action sequences (Dark Knight, Iron Man, Terminator 2 etc). These imbeciles see some wack ass explosions and start acting like this ? is Godfather.

• bdbdbd
    bdbdbd Members Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    granted he is messing with a childhood classic and i hate it when they do that, but i can understand what he is saying.
    people havent even so much as seen a photo, heard half a line of script, seen a cast list (i think) etc. and are already hating.
    i mean, if i was him i would walk away from the project ? unless this is an absolute masterpiece it will fail ? it was doomed from the moment it was announced....foreal though, i cannot imagine michael bay doing this film justice
  • huey
    huey Members Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    hollywood still cant come up with anything original
  • rage
    rage Members Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    bdbdbd wrote: »
    granted he is messing with a childhood classic and i hate it when they do that, but i can understand what he is saying.
    people havent even so much as seen a photo, heard half a line of script, seen a cast list (i think) etc. and are already hating.
    i mean, if i was him i would walk away from the project ? unless this is an absolute masterpiece it will fail ? it was doomed from the moment it was announced....foreal though, i cannot imagine michael bay doing this film justice

There can be nothing redeeming about an adaptation when you have completely changed the very core of the story line. Here is the thing that Bay (because he is arrogant ? ) doesnt get....lets see he makes them alien turtles but still get mutated by the ooze grow up from babies under the tutelage of Splinter...well then WTF was the point of making them aliens?
    The other route and more a more plausible one is that their whole origin is based around them being some sort of alien beings....at that point its just not TMNT. Bay is a joke and just one notch above those Scyfy movie directors....or like someone else said Ewe Boll with a bigger budget.
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    twizza 77 wrote: »
    Next thing you know, the Turtles don't like Pizza, they like buffalo wings. lol

Yo but that Pizza Hut's wing street ? is GOAT.
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2012
    Options
    the thing is, if he wants to make a movie with aliens.. then have someone write a script with some alien ? , and call it something ? else......

but if you're going to make a TMNT movie.. where the overwhelming majority of support is coming from TMNT fans......why would you give them anything other than what they want.....

ultimately it's going to be the fans that buy the tickets....kids ain't feeling turtles no more...

even the "new" cartoon they did a few years ago was more geared towards young adults who were already fans...

new kids weren't feeling that ? ....

michael bay shoulda made a ? ben 10 movie...and let someone else do TMNT
  • dalyricalbandit
    Options
    man just make krang be the alien no need for turtles to be from outer space
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If I don't see Shredder, Rocksteady and Bebop I'm gonna lose my damn mind
  • Amotekun
    Amotekun Members Posts: 7,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Movie is gonna be wack. In protest I'm posting vids from the original just to remind eeveryone how great it was and how ? Michael Bay's version will be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_6x_Pqdn0M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fz-bmSWtXUQ&feature=colike
  • bdbdbd
    bdbdbd Members Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    rage wrote: »
    bdbdbd wrote: »

There can be nothing redeeming about an adaptation when you have completely changed the very core of the story line. Here is the thing that Bay (because he is arrogant ? ) doesnt get....lets see he makes them alien turtles but still get mutated by the ooze grow up from babies under the tutelage of Splinter...well then WTF was the point of making them aliens?
    The other route and more a more plausible one is that their whole origin is based around them being some sort of alien beings....at that point its just not TMNT. Bay is a joke and just one notch above those Scyfy movie directors....or like someone else said Ewe Boll with a bigger budget.

my bad, forgot about the alien ?
  • huey
    huey Members Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If I don't see Shredder, Rocksteady and Bebop I'm gonna lose my damn mind

You wont. i can almost guarantee that at the rate this ? is going
  • dalyricalbandit
    Options
    wonder wtf shreddar gonna be in this movie a evil mailman?