R.i.p. Ps3

Options
joshuaboy
joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2010 in IllGaming
Well, after 3 years, my fat 80GB, Backwards Compatible, 4 USB Slots, 3 Memory Card slots, shiny launch PS3 has departed this world. Living together for the last few years really brought us close together and it's hard accpeting the loss and trying to move on.

Oh well, brand new Slim is here. lol

Question: How do I transfer the data from the old one to the new one. Hadn't backed up the date in a long time and the old one does not come on at all.

Comments

• DB Cooper
    DB Cooper Members Posts: 746
    edited June 2010
    Options
    ? my first 360 lasted longer than that
    then the disc tray was open and it got stepped on
  • vagrant-718
    vagrant-718 Members Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Think there's an option to back up data on the xmb

You should google it just to make sure
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    YLOD or it just died period?
  • joshuaboy
    edited June 2010
    Options
    DB Cooper wrote: »
    ? my first 360 lasted longer than that
    then the disc tray was open and it got stepped on

Power outages and fluctuations. My fault for taking it off the surge protector and not putting it back on.
  • joshuaboy
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Think there's an option to back up data on the xmb

You should google it just to make sure

I know, but have not done it for a long time. And it won't come on period so can't do that now. I took the hd out though. Would I be able to put the hd in an external case and restore it to the new system?
  • joshuaboy
    edited June 2010
    Options
    YLOD or it just died period?

Think I did see it flash yellow but it does not turn on at all so I'm not sure.

I'm going to eventually send it in for repair.
  • Bcotton5
    edited June 2010
    Options
    joshuaboy wrote: »

Check out gophermods.com see if they got your problem there, they fix it for $70 AND you get to keep all your data
  • joshuaboy
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Check out gophermods.com see if they got your problem there, they fix it for $70 AND you get to keep all your data

Thanks. Gonna check it out. It's already out of warranty so no reason sending it to Sony and paying double that.

Just wondering how to get the data onto my new system now
  • renagade410,
    renagade410, Members Posts: 669
    edited June 2010
    Options
    just answer this......was it the 80gb mgs4 ps3
  • joseph sun
    joseph sun Members Posts: 6,764 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    my controller died sunday
  • joshuaboy
    edited June 2010
    Options
    just answer this......was it the 80gb mgs4 ps3

No, launch model
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
  • Terrorist_Jones
    Terrorist_Jones Banned Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options

dammnit,, i was go to you to sell me the shell. my 80 gig was tripping too,, still got warrenty till dec 15 thru walmart,,i dont wanna sell it,,but i fell death around the corner for it
  • joshuaboy
    edited June 2010
    Options
    dammnit,, i was go to you to sell me the shell. my 80 gig was tripping too,, still got warrenty till dec 15 thru walmart,,i dont wanna sell it,,but i fell death around the corner for it

Something about owning the original shiny fat PS3 over the slim, right? I don't want to get rid of it at all.
  • zoomzoomp5
    zoomzoomp5 Members Posts: 609 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    why are peoples PS3s trippin? whats this Yellow light ? ya'll talking about? only problems ive had with mine is that every time there is a loading screen in MGS4 i get this damn QUESTION MARK at the top corner, any reason why?
  • Terrorist_Jones
    Terrorist_Jones Banned Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Something about owning the original shiny fat PS3 over the slim, right? I don't want to get rid of it at all.

yessir,,the fatty look good,, imma get the new 360 ,,the white one like plain,, when ? see my set up , i want them to think im a racist wit black on blk everything

the slim to little,, i go over people houses and be like where ur ps3, they be like right there.. i be like u talking bout this lil dvd player sized thing?!?! lol
  • joshuaboy
    edited June 2010
    Options
    yessir,,the fatty look good,, imma get the new 360 ,,the white one like plain,, when ? see my set up , i want them to think im a racist wit black on blk everything

the slim to little,, i go over people houses and be like where ur ps3, they be like right there.. i be like u talking bout this lil dvd player sized thing?!?! lol

I'm telling you man. I used to have the fatty up on a high ledge and when people come over they see it shining as soon as the walk in. The Slim, that gone down low on the shelf with the TV. Nothing attractive about that. lol

Better believe when I do eventually send it in and get it back I'm gonna re install all my info and put it back up and put the Slim away in case something goes wrong again.
  • joshuaboy
    edited June 2010
    Options
    zoomzoomp5 wrote: »
    why are peoples PS3s trippin? whats this Yellow light ? ya'll talking about? only problems ive had with mine is that every time there is a loading screen in MGS4 i get this damn QUESTION MARK at the top corner, any reason why?

I'm not sure what happened with mine. But we've been having some blackouts and power fluctuations here since Saturday after lightning struck the power grid at the station. I have most of my stuff plugged into a surge protector but unplugged the PS3 a few weeks ago while using something else and plugged it into another socket later in the day to game for a short while and never remembered to switch it back to the surge after.
  • Indy8503 HD
    Indy8503 HD Members Posts: 554
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I'm not sure what happened with mine. But we've been having some blackouts and power fluctuations here since Saturday after lightning struck the power grid at the station. I have most of my stuff plugged into a surge protector but unplugged the PS3 a few weeks ago while using something else and plugged it into another socket later in the day to game for a short while and never remembered to switch it back to the surge after.

Yeah we had an outage when I was away at work like 3 days in a row before the day my 60GB got the YLOD, but mine's was plugged in the surge protector.
  • KillaCham
    KillaCham Members, Moderators Posts: 11,417 Regulator
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Damn son...me and my PS3's 3rd year anniversary was just this passed January. Don't jinx me, bro!! :(
  • joshuaboy
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Is there anyone here that had to get a new system? How did you get your data transferred from the old one?
  • Bcotton5
    edited June 2010
    Options
    No way to transfer data, gophermods is your best bet if you wanna keep data

You can create a profile sign in with your info on your new PS3 and basically gameshare with yourself, so you get to keep eveything you ever downloaded from the PSN/Video store

But as far as movies music etc that ? is gone on a new PS3
  • joshuaboy
    edited June 2010
    Options
    No way to transfer data, gophermods is your best bet if you wanna keep data

You can create a profile sign in with your info on your new PS3 and basically gameshare with yourself, so you get to keep eveything you ever downloaded from the PSN/Video store

But as far as movies music etc that ? is gone on a new PS3

I was actually thinking about the saved game data and stuff. I've already taken out the hd. Was going to put it in an external shell and try to use the restore feature and see.
  • CMac
    CMac Members Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Scary ? mine fat ps3 is still working coming July will be 3 years since I bought it, the older ones breaking is worth getting them fixed instead of getting a slim. Having the ability to play ps and ps2 games is a special feature and it has more usb ports. With the slim you only get 2.
  • Bcotton5
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I was actually thinking about the saved game data and stuff. I've already taken out the hd. Was going to put it in an external shell and try to use the restore feature and see.

Yea that wont work, the restore feature only works if its the EXACT same PS3 it was backed up on, same ? happend to me when I sent my 1st PS3 to Sony