NL East Discussion Thread(Marlins Preview. Marlins Opening Day Wednesday 7PM E/T ESPN)

Options

Comments

• Cosmic_Cannon
    Cosmic_Cannon Members Posts: 526 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Mets could be worth up to 1.5 billion
    Fred Wilpon served on a committee that screened prospective Los Angeles Dodgers owners. So Wilpon said he could not discuss the yet-to-be-officially completed $2 billion sale of the West Coast ballclub.

Still, when asked Wednesday afternoon about the impact of the Dodgers’ impending sale on the value of Major League Baseball franchises including his Mets, Wilpon said: “I’m smiling, aren’t I?”

A week after Forbes valued the Mets at $719 million, sports business consultant Marc Ganis estimated Wednesday that the organization actually is worth more than double that amount in light of the Dodgers’ price tag.

The Yankees? They’re likely worth as much as $4 billion, according to Ganis, president of Chicago-based sports marketing company SportsCorp.

“Let me tell you, if the Dodgers are worth $2 billion, the Yankees are worth $3.5 to $4 billion,” Ganis said. “The Red Sox are worth $2.5 billion. And the Mets go from being worth, say, in the low $1 (billion)s to the mid- to high-$1 (billion)s.”

That does not mean all Major League Baseball teams will see a sizable jump in value because of the impending deal for the Dodgers.

“This only relates to the top, top of the food chain,” Ganis said. “It only relates to the Yankees, the Red Sox, the Cubs, the Mets. That may be it. Maybe there is some relevance to a lesser degree to the Giants and the Padres. But no one should expect this has any meaningful impact on the Pittsburgh Pirates or Kansas City Royals or the Cleveland Indians. It’s really just the big-market clubs that have unique local broadcasting opportunities.”

Part of the reason the Mets are worth a fraction of the other big-market clubs is that they own their television network, SportsNet New York, and are essentially locked into that arrangement. The Dodgers, on the other hand, can freely solicit open bids for when their local TV package, which is up after the 2013 season, Ganis explained.

Should Mets owners ever enter a bankruptcy process -- not the immediate likelihood, since they settled the Bernard Madoff-related clawback lawsuit and received $240 million in minority investments -- the Mets may be able to fetch as much as, or more than, the Dodgers, according to Ganis. That is partly because a bankruptcy proceeding might allow the Mets to void the contract with SNY and reopen bidding.

“The Dodgers being open for bidding, they can try to set the higher bar than the Mets set with SNY,” Ganis said. “That’s why the Dodgers (now) would still probably be worth more than the Mets. But the Mets’ value does go up relative to the Dodgers.

“If you had the Mets in the same situation as the Dodgers, in a bankruptcy situation where Wilpon would be able to sell the team to the highest bidder without too much interference from Major League Baseball, the Mets would have gone for the same number if not higher than the Dodgers.

“If the Mets had the same (bankruptcy) thing, had they rejected the SNY contract and there could have been a fresh broadcasting deal, I suspect the Mets would have went for more than the $2 billion the Dodgers went for. If they kept the SNY deal, probably $1.5 billion or so would be the value.”

Of course, it’s possible the Magic Johnson-Stan Kasten group purchasing the Dodgers is an outlier that would not be repeated if another big-market team went up for sale.

"It's the craziest deal ever; it makes no sense. That's why you saw so many groups drop out," Mark Rosentraub, a University of Michigan sports management professor, told Arash Markazi of ESPNLosAngeles.com. "I don't get it. The numbers just don't work. It doesn't make business sense. Nobody came up with this number. Under the most favorable circumstance you broke (even at) $1.1 billion, with $1.4 billion getting crazy. Now you're up in the $2 billion range, which is over $800 million more than what pencils out for a profitable investment for a baseball team. If making money doesn't count, this is a great move. But now we're into buying art and I can't value art. I can just run the model numbers and this doesn't make sense."

The benefit of the Mets increasing in value as a result of the Dodgers deal is big for the team’s owners. The Mets have hundreds of millions in loans against the team. If the value of the franchise is $1.5 billion rather than $719 million, the team’s debt-to-equity ratio dramatically improves.

Still, Ganis cautioned: “It can have a positive effect. The problem the Mets have is they’re losing money every year. So it’s not just a matter of the debt-to-equity ratio, but rather they’re going to be missing all the metrics that are typically included in debt deals. They, of course, have a negative cash flow. So banks will be somewhat lenient because they’ll say, ‘OK, there’s more asset value here,’ but only if there’s a bankruptcy proceeding. And baseball, I think, is going to be very loath to let that happening again. And I don’t think the Wilpons want to go through a bankruptcy proceeding.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/met...-be-worth-1-5b

Braves players in ESPN Top 300 Fantasy Players
    #35 - Michael Bourn, Atl, OF - $19
    #42 - Dan Uggla, Atl, 2B - $18
    #62 - Craig Kimbrel, Atl, RP - $14
    #69 - Brian McCann, Atl, C - $13
    #104 - Jason Heyward, Atl, OF - $10
    #111 - Tommy Hanson, Atl, SP - $9
    #116 - Freddie Freeman, Atl, 1B - $9
    #119 - Brandon Beachy, Atl, SP - $9
    #156 - Tim Hudson, Atl, SP - $6
    #164 - Martin Prado, Atl, 3B, OF - $6
    #193 - Mike Minor, Atl, SP - $4
    #230 - Chipper Jones, Atl, 3B - $2
    #254 - Jair Jurrjens, Atl, SP - $1
    #275 - Jonny Venters, Atl, RP - $0

• rice n gravy
    rice n gravy Members Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭
    Options
    allday1992 wrote: »
    I'm still trying to figure out where the marlins got all this money from
    forreal how you go from being worth less as a team that Jeter yearly contract and sht to now ..........balling in 1 offseason
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm seeing a lot of caping for Heyward.
  • Livefromclayco
    Livefromclayco Members Posts: 14,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bruh y'all act like heyward been ? up for 5-6 years he had one bad year and ? callin him a bust

He's 22 years old most ? in baseball don't even get started until they're 25 or 26
  • eyes low
    eyes low Members Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Fred Wilpon served on a committee that screened prospective Los Angeles Dodgers owners. So Wilpon said he could not discuss the yet-to-be-officially completed $2 billion sale of the West Coast ballclub.

Still, when asked Wednesday afternoon about the impact of the Dodgers’ impending sale on the value of Major League Baseball franchises including his Mets, Wilpon said: “I’m smiling, aren’t I?”

A week after Forbes valued the Mets at $719 million, sports business consultant Marc Ganis estimated Wednesday that the organization actually is worth more than double that amount in light of the Dodgers’ price tag.

The Yankees? They’re likely worth as much as $4 billion, according to Ganis, president of Chicago-based sports marketing company SportsCorp.

“Let me tell you, if the Dodgers are worth $2 billion, the Yankees are worth $3.5 to $4 billion,” Ganis said. “The Red Sox are worth $2.5 billion. And the Mets go from being worth, say, in the low $1 (billion)s to the mid- to high-$1 (billion)s.”

That does not mean all Major League Baseball teams will see a sizable jump in value because of the impending deal for the Dodgers.

“This only relates to the top, top of the food chain,” Ganis said. “It only relates to the Yankees, the Red Sox, the Cubs, the Mets. That may be it. Maybe there is some relevance to a lesser degree to the Giants and the Padres. But no one should expect this has any meaningful impact on the Pittsburgh Pirates or Kansas City Royals or the Cleveland Indians. It’s really just the big-market clubs that have unique local broadcasting opportunities.”

Part of the reason the Mets are worth a fraction of the other big-market clubs is that they own their television network, SportsNet New York, and are essentially locked into that arrangement. The Dodgers, on the other hand, can freely solicit open bids for when their local TV package, which is up after the 2013 season, Ganis explained.

Should Mets owners ever enter a bankruptcy process -- not the immediate likelihood, since they settled the Bernard Madoff-related clawback lawsuit and received $240 million in minority investments -- the Mets may be able to fetch as much as, or more than, the Dodgers, according to Ganis. That is partly because a bankruptcy proceeding might allow the Mets to void the contract with SNY and reopen bidding.

“The Dodgers being open for bidding, they can try to set the higher bar than the Mets set with SNY,” Ganis said. “That’s why the Dodgers (now) would still probably be worth more than the Mets. But the Mets’ value does go up relative to the Dodgers.

“If you had the Mets in the same situation as the Dodgers, in a bankruptcy situation where Wilpon would be able to sell the team to the highest bidder without too much interference from Major League Baseball, the Mets would have gone for the same number if not higher than the Dodgers.

“If the Mets had the same (bankruptcy) thing, had they rejected the SNY contract and there could have been a fresh broadcasting deal, I suspect the Mets would have went for more than the $2 billion the Dodgers went for. If they kept the SNY deal, probably $1.5 billion or so would be the value.”

Of course, it’s possible the Magic Johnson-Stan Kasten group purchasing the Dodgers is an outlier that would not be repeated if another big-market team went up for sale.

"It's the craziest deal ever; it makes no sense. That's why you saw so many groups drop out," Mark Rosentraub, a University of Michigan sports management professor, told Arash Markazi of ESPNLosAngeles.com. "I don't get it. The numbers just don't work. It doesn't make business sense. Nobody came up with this number. Under the most favorable circumstance you broke (even at) $1.1 billion, with $1.4 billion getting crazy. Now you're up in the $2 billion range, which is over $800 million more than what pencils out for a profitable investment for a baseball team. If making money doesn't count, this is a great move. But now we're into buying art and I can't value art. I can just run the model numbers and this doesn't make sense."

The benefit of the Mets increasing in value as a result of the Dodgers deal is big for the team’s owners. The Mets have hundreds of millions in loans against the team. If the value of the franchise is $1.5 billion rather than $719 million, the team’s debt-to-equity ratio dramatically improves.

Still, Ganis cautioned: “It can have a positive effect. The problem the Mets have is they’re losing money every year. So it’s not just a matter of the debt-to-equity ratio, but rather they’re going to be missing all the metrics that are typically included in debt deals. They, of course, have a negative cash flow. So banks will be somewhat lenient because they’ll say, ‘OK, there’s more asset value here,’ but only if there’s a bankruptcy proceeding. And baseball, I think, is going to be very loath to let that happening again. And I don’t think the Wilpons want to go through a bankruptcy proceeding.”

i hope and dream the wilpons will sell the mets.
  • bigev240
    bigev240 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 10,925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    eyes low wrote: »

You and me both but by the look of things he is not trying to sell. He should just do the right thing a sell, we need a fresh start.
  • eyes low
    eyes low Members Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    bigev240 wrote: »
    eyes low wrote: »

You and me both but by the look of things he is not trying to sell. He should just do the right thing a sell, we need a fresh start.

I know he's a ? just take the 1.5 billion and run
  • KeepOnPushing
    KeepOnPushing Members Posts: 17,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Utley is finished , Phillies really need to consider trading him while he at least still has a little name to himself , he doesn't even look close to the 2009 Utley version..

• Cosmic_Cannon
    Cosmic_Cannon Members Posts: 526 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2012
    Options
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but there's no way the Wilpons are selling. With the sale of the Dodgers and the settlement for the Madoff victims, the Wilpons ownership has been the most secure it has in the past year or so. So get ready for a lifetime of the most lovable owners in baseball.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTXBmFDYk4xidOyPBZCjNkTPjs_dj4eP5WghARhV4-68zAKCfpI Feels bad man :(

Mets
    What a difference a few months make? From December to January, it looked like the beginning of an ugly era for the New York Metropolitans. Franchise player Jose Reyes, headed to the division rival Miami Marlins in Free Agency. The Mets cut over 50+ million of team payroll, and eliminated an entire minor league team. There was huge speculation, that the Wilpons could not pay back their debt. David Wright was seen as a trade candidate for the off-season, and the buzz budded in the winter. There were doubts, that Johan Santana would not be ready for Opening Day.

Spring is seen as the start of new life, as the seasons started to change, this sentiment rang true for the Mets franchise. The Wilpons reached a settlement with the Madoff victim's, which was far less than what was speculated. Many who were covering the organization and people in the organization itself, believed that sluggers Ike Davis and Lucas Duda, and lefty hurler Jonathan Niese were primed for breakout years. Johan Santana was pitching far better than expected in Spring Training, and eventually got penciled in to take the mound for the start of the regular season. This was all topped off by the record-breaking purchase of the Los Angeles Dodgers, as it's purchase has brought many MLB franchises up in worth, and certainly the Mets worth to a likely billion plus net worth.

Despite the recent string of superb news for the franchise, this team is still plagued by many question marks. However, the line-up is one of the possible strengths. The alteration of the Citi Field walls, can only mean more home runs, and David Wright and Jason Bay will be the largest beneficiaries of it. Daniel Murphy can hit when healthy, however he's often plagued by injuries, and Justin Turner can step in if Murphy was to suffer from injury. Ike Davis is a rare player for his age, as he brings raw power combined with plate discipline and an excellent glove. Ruben Tejada and Josh Thole provide decent contact and on base percentage for the bottom of the line-up. Aside from David Wright and Davis, Lucas Duda is the only player on this roster with raw power, and will likely be a 17+ HR threat with good plate selection. Center-field is uncertainty, as Andres Torres has decent speed but is often plagued with injuries, and Kirk Nieuwenhuis got injured early in Spring Training.

The rotation has upside, but is uncertain. Although Santana pitched above expectations in Spring Training, his performance in the regular season has yet to be seen. Dillon Gee had a tale of two halves in 2011, he pitched great before the All Star Break, subsequently suffered after, but he's still young and can still be an effective back-end starter. Jon Niese has a great deal of upside, but has yet to stay healthy for a complete season, but can be deadly if he does. Mike Pelfrey is a durable pitcher but is often inconsistent, however Pelfrey does tend to pitch well in even number years, so 2012 could be a good year for him. R.A Dickey is a plus going into 2012, he can hold up for a whole season, and gives the Mets a chance every time he takes the mound.

The Mets are a interesting team, with an abundance of story-lines going into this year. This team is better than it's perceived, however this is still a team 2+ years away from competing in this division. The Mets are very thin on outfield and starting pitching depth. Given the track record for injuries with this team, and it's safe to say a starting pitcher or outfielder will be hurt for an extended period of time. As the trade deadline nears in 2012, Jason Bay; Johan Santana, Mike Pelfrey, and R.A Dickey could be trade bait. Top farm pitching prospect Matt Harvey, will give some insight to the future, as he'll likely get called up and pitch a few starts in September or maybe even as early as July. It will be a fun but frustrating year, as the Mets will fight to a 73-89 finish.
  • infamous114
    infamous114 Members, Moderators Posts: 52,202 Regulator
    Options
    Where's that Marlins preview lol
  • greenwood1921
    greenwood1921 Members Posts: 47,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Not feelin' those Marlins uni's. ? look minor-league as ? . Look like one of those squads Michael Jordan used to play against with the Birmingham Barons.
  • infamous114
    Options

Not feelin' those Marlins uni's. ? look minor-league as ? . Look like one of those squads Michael Jordan used to play against with the Birmingham Barons.

LMAO. Bruh I've come around to them...people ? with the fitted down here. Now if they wear the alternative orange jersey.....
  • greenwood1921
    Options

LMAO. Bruh I've come around to them...people ? with the fitted down here. Now if they wear the alternative orange jersey.....

lol. Y'all stuntin with the fish tank around the field in the new stadium tho....

67812728.jpg
  • Livefromclayco
    Options
    Yeah them miami fitteds are tough

But it still can't cant ? with the GOAT fitted

21MLFC%20ACP%20BRA1.jpg

I don't give a ? where you from every ? got one of these
  • greenwood1921
    Options
    allday1992 wrote:
    Yeah them miami fitteds are tough

But it still can't cant ? with the GOAT fitted

21MLFC%20ACP%20BRA1.jpg

I don't give a ? where you from every ? got one of these

Werd.

I'm still trippin' off of all these Messicans in L.A. rockin' them Braves fitteds. lol.

I'm like "damn, is this Buford Highway?"

^^^ ATL joke. lol
  • infamous114
    Options
    Can't disagree with the Braves fitted
  • rice n gravy
    Options
    man i saw them marlins fitted in the store last week

bright ass orange and sht

I thought about getting one just cuz for some reason.......
  • greenwood1921
    Options
    I prefer the Navy one myself...

new-era-fitted-mlb-atlanta-braves-cap-in-navy-c7100.jpg

I hate the ones with the tomahawk...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSYfMwJ9aZWG6V2r0TLK9-djFFRqlEPHuRDNCN9BtmTD9ZOvBsE

• Livefromclayco
    Options
    The tomahawk ones are okay to me

The braves hat is one of the few that look good in other colors

atlanta-braves-new-era-59fifty-fitted-grey-hat-id1083.jpg

This is the braves hat I couldn't stand

get_image.aspx?domain=fanzz.com&image_guid=dc3d1cf5-de36-4191-9eaf-e15da5fddbf2&size=1
  • greenwood1921
    edited March 2012
    Options
    allday1992 wrote:
    The tomahawk ones are okay to me

The braves hat is one of the few that look good in other colors

atlanta-braves-new-era-59fifty-fitted-grey-hat-id1083.jpg

This is the braves hat I couldn't stand

get_image.aspx?domain=fanzz.com&image_guid=dc3d1cf5-de36-4191-9eaf-e15da5fddbf2&size=1

lol. I remember around the mid 2000's, you saw more of the lower-case a's in ATL than the big ones.

? is woat.
  • rice n gravy
    Options
    dont make me flood this btch with phillies caps ?
  • bigev240
    bigev240 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 10,925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I got the all blue version of the Mr. Met hat...
    rock_3.jpg
    and the 69 World Series hat...
    thumb.aspx?i=%2FproductImages%2F_624000%2Fff_624079_xl.jpg
  • CottonCitySlim
    CottonCitySlim Members Posts: 7,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol i got that hat in the closet right now...lawse
  • infamous114
    edited March 2012
    Options
    tumblr_m04hugTBz21qe1d8xo1_500.jpg

eye-on-ebay%C2%AE-new-era-mlb-vintage-florida-marlins-59fifty-fitted-caps-1.jpg

Old school Marlins
  • greenwood1921
    edited March 2012
    Options
    tumblr_m04hugTBz21qe1d8xo1_500.jpg

eye-on-ebay%C2%AE-new-era-mlb-vintage-florida-marlins-59fifty-fitted-caps-1.jpg

Old school Marlins

I ? with this one. I never understood why they needed that ol' raggedy ass fish on there tho.

I guess I just don't like "logos" on ball caps. The best baseball fitteds are the ones that don't include a logo, just an insignia of the team's initials or something.

(ATL, Yankees, St. Louis, Dodgers, etc.)

Imagine a Yankee cap if they had that corny uncle-sam hat/baseball bat on the front instead of the interlocking "NY". lol.