30 reasons why its painful being a Knicks fan :*-(

Options

Comments

• greenwood1921
    greenwood1921 Members Posts: 47,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Props to the T/S for keepin' it One-hunned about his squad.

• iron man1
    iron man1 Members Posts: 29,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Truth gotdamn....smfh this decade been the worst as a knick fan
  • greenwood1921
    Options
    matt- wrote:
    Don't forget the team actually selling shirts that remind their fans just how long it's been since they won a title and charging $20 to remind them how they have rarely come close since then

knicks_shirt.jpg

Must be for sale in the CS gift shop.
  • IceBergTaylor
    IceBergTaylor Members Posts: 19,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    EmM HoLLa. wrote: »
    Yo @rakim ii .. I overstand you Bro..

What people dont understand.. Is that New York despite what you want to think.. Is a basketball city.. They dont call it the Mecca for nothing.. Every neighborhood has a basketball court.. If not a court there is a crate.. Every neighborhood does not have a baseball diamond or a football field.. Meaning that as a kid.. Coming up to keep busy you played ball.. Every kid in the inner city plays ball.. At least thats how it was when I was coming up.. And to have the only basketball franchise in the city STINK for damn near 40 years.. It hurts man... If nothing else.. New York City embodies basketball.. A good majority of our fans know the game well... And the product that has been put on the court has been sub par.. Or somehow sabotaged.. Whether it be by injury.. Inept management.. Or just plain old bad luck.. SMH ? is wack..

All of our good players are hurt.. Tyson (Wrists), Melo (Groin, Wrist, Ankle), Amar'e (Back), Lin (Knee), Davis (Back).. ? is wack man.. I believe Amare was playing hurt all damn year..

I truly believe this team with everyone 100% could do something.. Now.. I dunno.. We will just wait and see. But I can say that I would be surprised if we miss the playoffs or make it and get bounced in the first round...

FALSE
    NY is a baseball town, followed by NFL, then basketball. The Post/Daily News have more baseball covers then NBA, also baseball dominates sports papers and radio from April to September(most of the time longer, if the Yanks or Mets have a legit WS run, or make serious splashes in the Free Agent market). It may not be huge for us colored folk(baseball is irrelevant as a whole among average blacks), but for the majority of NY Sports fans, baseball trumps basketball.

False again
    Most of the top basketball prospects come out of Texas; North-West, DMV area, or the Mid-West. Outside of Kemba and Lance, what was the last NY kid to really make a splash in the past 7 years? Oh wait, I thought so. Up until the Melo trade, the average NY'er wasn't even messing w/ the Knicks in the past decade. Sure the Knicks had top(or close to top) profits, but that's because of the market; celebs coming to MSG, suit-and-tie dudes getting tickets as gifts, and having the highest or close to highest most pricey tickets.

Once again False
    Listen to WFAN; dudes at work or at school, and most fans don't know what the hell they're talking about. A good # of fans, will say non-sense like the Knicks are a championship contender; Amare was better than Bosh in the 2010 summer, Lin was a franchise player during his run in February. The Knicks like most of NY sports fans(hell sports fans as a whole) typically don't know what the hell they're talking about.

C'mon son cut it out... If u from NYC.. You play basketball.. I dont know where u are from.. But im from NEW YORK.. And in New York.. Everybody plays basketball.. More so then any other sport.. Whether or not we have somebody from NY playing today that is making an impact has no bearing on NY being a Basketball Town.. Secondly... That also does not take away from the impact NY has had on the game as whole especially in the early days.. When the ABA was still around..

Secondly.. Listening to WFAN or ESPN Radio aint gonna give you an idea of the knowledge of a city with 10 million people.. ? aint got time to be calling into these radio shows and waiting on hold for an hour just to talk for 30 seconds.. Again cmon son cut it out..

And last year.. Amare was a ? MVP candidate. How the hell was he not better then Chris Bosh?.. What are you talking about?... ? just hate NY so much they gotta come in n talk ? cuz they think it sounds good..

Anybody from NY will tell you.. We dont play baseball or football like that.. We play BASKETBALL...

? , NY is Yankee town. Then the Giants.... we might be the mecca of basketball but thats ONLY cause alot of folks play it. It has nothing to do with the Knicks.
  • tru_m.a.c
    tru_m.a.c Members Posts: 9,091 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    before we continue

I think its only right ? state their locations

cause some frauding/untrue opinions are going out right now

Queens raised / LI bred
  • Cosmic_Cannon
    Cosmic_Cannon Members Posts: 526 ✭✭✭
    Options

C'mon son cut it out... If u from NYC.. You play basketball.. I dont know where u are from.. But im from NEW YORK.. And in New York.. Everybody plays basketball.. More so then any other sport.. Whether or not we have somebody from NY playing today that is making an impact has no bearing on NY being a Basketball Town.. Secondly... That also does not take away from the impact NY has had on the game as whole especially in the early days.. When the ABA was still around..

Secondly.. Listening to WFAN or ESPN Radio aint gonna give you an idea of the knowledge of a city with 10 million people.. ? aint got time to be calling into these radio shows and waiting on hold for an hour just to talk for 30 seconds.. Again cmon son cut it out..

And last year.. Amare was a ? MVP candidate. How the hell was he not better then Chris Bosh?.. What are you talking about?... ? just hate NY so much they gotta come in n talk ? cuz they think it sounds good..

Anybody from NY will tell you.. We dont play baseball or football like that.. We play BASKETBALL...

So the sport that's played the most in the area= what sports city it is?
    Basketball is played everywhere bruh, it's a cheap and easy game to pick up, so that doesn't make NY a basketball town. I'm talking about in terms of overall revenue and discussion, NBA and MLB>>>>basketball in NY. If we were to go by your rules, that means basketball is the most popular sport in America, which is clearly not the case(once again I'm talking about revenue and discussion).

Yes, NYC has had an impact on the game. However it's absurd to say NY is the Mecca of B-Ball, when so many other areas have had an great impact of the game, whether nationally or internationally. Springfield, where the game was conceived, and LA as well as others can be attributed to the current state of basketball.

Just from your comment on the radio point, I can clearly see that you're not taking account for the majority of NY'ers. Obviously WFAN and ESPN don't have every resident on, but they have people from every race and creed, while your just basing your opinion on you and whom you associate with(? don't have time for radio, right em?). I brought up The Daily News/Post point about back-page covers, which you carefully dodge around.

I said people saw Amare was better than Bosh in the 2010 SUMMER, summer is a lot different from the 2010 season. Last time I checked, there are no NBA games in the summer(NBA Finals end in mid-June, and summer doesn't start til June 20-ish), and it's the off-season. Yes Amare was a MVP canidate, but I wasn't talking about the season, I was talking about the off-season.

Okay we do play basketball, but in terms of overall revenue and discussion, MLB or NFL>>>basketball.
  • Matt-
    Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2012
    Options
    matt- wrote:
    Don't forget the team actually selling shirts that remind their fans just how long it's been since they won a title and charging $20 to remind them how they have rarely come close since then

knicks_shirt.jpg

yep. Along with these for all the knick fans

[img]http://lp.imageg.net/? ?set=key%5Bname%5D,value%5BINMYLIFETIME%5D&set=key%5Bnumber%5D,value%5B00%5D&set=key%5Bdisplaysize%5D,value%5B220%5D&load=url%5Bhttp://chains.imageg.net/graphics/dynamic/chains/p8499366_customback.chain][/img]
  • Cosmic_Cannon
    Options
    DEAD @ "Inmylifetime"
  • greenwood1921
    Options
    matt- wrote:
    matt- wrote:

knicks_shirt.jpg

[img]http://lp.imageg.net/? ?set=key%5Bname%5D,value%5BINMYLIFETIME%5D&set=key%5Bnumber%5D,value%5B00%5D&set=key%5Bdisplaysize%5D,value%5B220%5D&load=url%5Bhttp://chains.imageg.net/graphics/dynamic/chains/p8499366_customback.chain][/img]

lol @ all the non-Knicks fans gettin' grazed by that fired shot.

Go 'head and do one for "PREBANDWAGONRIDE" 00. lol

• peagle05
    peagle05 Members Posts: 25,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    matt- wrote: »
    matt- wrote:

knicks_shirt.jpg

opa246.gif
  • northside7
    northside7 Members Posts: 25,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

C'mon son cut it out... If u from NYC.. You play basketball.. I dont know where u are from.. But im from NEW YORK.. And in New York.. Everybody plays basketball.. More so then any other sport.. Whether or not
    we have somebody from NY playing today that is making an impact has no bearing on NY being a Basketball Town.. Secondly... That also does not take away from the impact NY has had on the game as whole especially in the early days.. When the ABA was still around..

Basketball is played everywhere bruh, it's a cheap and easy game to pick up, so that doesn't make NY a basketball town. I'm talking about in terms of overall revenue and discussion, NBA and MLB>>>>basketball in NY. If we were to go by your rules, that means basketball is the most popular sport in America, which is clearly not the case(once again I'm talking about revenue and discussion).

Yes, NYC has had an impact on the game. However it's absurd to say NY is the Mecca of B-Ball, when so many other areas have had an great impact of the game, whether nationally or internationally. Springfield, where the game was conceived, and LA as well as others can be attributed to the current state of basketball.

Just from your comment on the radio point, I can clearly see that you're not taking account for the majority of NY'ers. Obviously WFAN and ESPN don't have every resident on, but they have people from every race and creed, while your just basing your opinion on you and whom you associate with(? don't have time for radio, right em?). I brought up The Daily News/Post point about back-page covers, which you carefully dodge around.

I said people saw Amare was better than Bosh in the 2010 SUMMER, summer is a lot different from the 2010 season. Last time I checked, there are no NBA games in the summer(NBA Finals end in mid-June, and summer doesn't start til June 20-ish), and it's the off-season. Yes Amare was a MVP canidate, but I wasn't talking about the season, I was talking about the off-season.

Okay we do play basketball, but in terms of overall revenue and discussion, MLB or NFL>>>basketball.

You are obviously missing my whole Point..

In terms of revenue MLB and NFL rain supreme because

1. NFL stadiums pack 100k+ and MLB plays over 100 regular season games..
    2. As far as discussion.. I think that is very very very debatable.. Look at NBA lockout coverage vs. NFL lockout coverage. I think they both got the same media attention.. The NBA probably got more IMO.
    3. As far as summer 2010.. I always felt Amar'e was better than Bosh.. Bosh doesnt have the personality to make in NY.. Cryin in the locker room?.. Cmon son New York would eat that man alive.. Look what they are trying to do to Melo a man that has been playing hurt damn near all year.. I stand by my statement.. A 100% Healthy Amare Stoudemire.. With his explosiveness and everything ? on Chris Bosh.. Point Blank Period..

Now look man.. All im saying is this.. You going by revenue and discussion.. Im going by what I know.. The only reason the Knicks havent been discussed as much is because for the last decade they stunk.. But when the Knicks are winning in NY there is nothing like it.. When there are Big Games in the Garden you can feel the electricity in the building.. And despite what they want you to believe.. It isnt the building.. Its the People.. The people make that building.. People who know basketball.. People who love basketball..

If an when the Knicks win a ship.. ? is gonna riot.. It aint gonna be all cool like when the Giants and Yankees win im tellin you...

That ? happens anytime a team hasnt won a ship in over 10 or 20 years. Y'all are spoiled with the Yankees, their expected to win every season. Don't nobody expect the Knicks to win for the next 100 years.

How can Amare be an MVP and he has trouble grabbing rebounds with a 6'11 height?
  • PiffyHaze
    PiffyHaze Members Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

*not from NY post*
    dont talk about it if yu dont know what yu talking about
  • Cosmic_Cannon
    Options
    You are obviously missing my whole Point..

In terms of revenue MLB and NFL rain supreme because

1. NFL stadiums pack 100k+ and MLB plays over 100 regular season games..
    2. As far as discussion.. I think that is very very very debatable.. Look at NBA lockout coverage vs. NFL lockout coverage. I think they both got the same media attention.. The NBA probably got more IMO.
    3. As far as summer 2010.. I always felt Amar'e was better than Bosh.. Bosh doesnt have the personality to make in NY.. Cryin in the locker room?.. Cmon son New York would eat that man alive.. Look what they are trying to do to Melo a man that has been playing hurt damn near all year.. I stand by my statement.. A 100% Healthy Amare Stoudemire.. With his explosiveness and everything ? on Chris Bosh.. Point Blank Period..

Now look man.. All im saying is this.. You going by revenue and discussion.. Im going by what I know.. The only reason the Knicks havent been discussed as much is because for the last decade they stunk.. But when the Knicks are winning in NY there is nothing like it.. When there are Big Games in the Garden you can feel the electricity in the building.. And despite what they want you to believe.. It isnt the building.. Its the People.. The people make that building.. People who know basketball.. People who love basketball.. If an when the Knicks win a ship.. ? is gonna riot.. It aint gonna be all cool like when the Giants and Yankees win im tellin you...

1. True to an extent.

2. The average sports fan was more in tuned w/ the NFL lockout than the NBA lockout. Unless you was a die-hard NBA like you and I, you weren't really aware about the NBA Lockout. There was more mainstream coverage of the NFL Lockout(peep ESPN and other prominent sports outlets) than the NBA Lockout, and I know most of Cheap Seats can attest to this.

3. It's opinion and I'll leave yours to it.

4. Well in the mid- to late 80's when you had Berard for a few years and Ewing was drafted, the Mets were the team of NY.
    As far as early 90's, NY was a Knick team. However, from '96 on, NY became a Yankees town. Even if all NY(Devils, Nets, Islanders included) teams are good in the same time span, the majority of the attention will be on the Mets and Yankees, that is unless the Knicks or Nets were to win the chip or get a top 5 talent through trade or FA.

5. Yes, the Garden is exciting when the Knicks OR Rangers are great. However in terms of overall passion and liveliness in the stadium, big College Football games or Football(real football) overseas trumps the Garden's electricity. A lot of places are exciting to be at, when a team is having success, you don't think the Pacers' or Bulls' arenas(which are b-ball hotbeds mind you) are not as exciting or even more when their teams are great?

6. When the Jets win(Giants fan here btw) a chip, that riot will be more live than if the Knicks win a ring.
    Seriously, what will be more close to this, the Jets winning a ring or the Knicks?
    It's okay that you're very passionate about your team, and love them more then any other team in sports. However the facts remain, NY is not a basketball town, and it isn't the Mecca.
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    At least NY still got their team.I don't even have the displeasure of having the Bullets/Wizards.The Knicks did make the post season last year,the Orioles have not made that ? since I can't remember.
  • BlackAX410
    BlackAX410 Members Posts: 35,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mad Jack wrote: »
    At least NY still got their team.I don't even have the displeasure of having the Bullets/Wizards.The Knicks did make the post season last year,the Orioles have not made that ? since I can't remember.

since 1998 when I was in kindergarden i graduated high school 2 years ago I been gave up on them clowns lls
  • Cosmic_Cannon
    Options
    PiffyHaze wrote: »
    *not from NY post*
    dont talk about it if yu dont know what yu talking about

I'm 19, lived in Queens for 9 years, and have lived in Harlem for the past 10 years. I read up on sports history and have a grasp of the sports landscape in this city. If you sit back and be objective about NY and basketball, you realize that all of the mystique about basketball in NY isn't all what's it cracked up to be, and many other areas have a equal legacy or greater when it comes to the game.

Which NBA franchises have the most chips and iconic players? Are the Knicks one of those franchises? Oh I thought so.

Which are the top 5 most iconic NCAA programs? Are there any programs from NEW YORK CITY(this eliminates someone claiming Cuse ore even UCONN)? Alright, let's move along then.

Where do the best basketball players come from? Is NY one of these spots? Fine, let's keep it rolling.

Are the Knicks the most popular team in NY? Great, case closed.

These are the facts, and you can't say otherwise. As much as we want to peg NY to be the Holy Land of b-ball, this is clearly not the case. The Knicks aren't the team of the town, and NY isn't the Mecca.

• iron man1
    iron man1 Members Posts: 29,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Add stat gone for two to four weeks to the list smfh...
  • bigsmooth14
    bigsmooth14 Members Posts: 134
    Options
    how is NY not the Mecca of Basketball?
  • eyes low
    eyes low Members Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yo @rakim ii .. I overstand you Bro..

What people dont understand.. Is that New York despite what you want to think.. Is a basketball city.. They dont call it the Mecca for nothing.. Every neighborhood has a basketball court.. If not a court there is a crate.. Every neighborhood does not have a baseball diamond or a football field.. Meaning that as a kid.. Coming up to keep busy you played ball.. Every kid in the inner city plays ball.. At least thats how it was when I was coming up.. And to have the only basketball franchise in the city STINK for damn near 40 years.. It hurts man... If nothing else.. New York City embodies basketball.. A good majority of our fans know the game well... And the product that has been put on the court has been sub par.. Or somehow sabotaged.. Whether it be by injury.. Inept management.. Or just plain old bad luck.. SMH ? is wack..

All of our good players are hurt.. Tyson (Wrists), Melo (Groin, Wrist, Ankle), Amar'e (Back), Lin (Knee), Davis (Back).. ? is wack man.. I believe Amare was playing hurt all damn year..

I truly believe this team with everyone 100% could do something.. Now.. I dunno.. We will just wait and see. But I can say that I would be surprised if we miss the playoffs or make it and get bounced in the first round...

FALSE
    NY is a baseball town, followed by NFL, then basketball. The Post/Daily News have more baseball covers then NBA, also baseball dominates sports papers and radio from April to September(most of the time longer, if the Yanks or Mets have a legit WS run, or make serious splashes in the Free Agent market). It may not be huge for us colored folk(baseball is irrelevant as a whole among average blacks), but for the majority of NY Sports fans, baseball trumps basketball.

False again
    Most of the top basketball prospects come out of Texas; North-West, DMV area, or the Mid-West. Outside of Kemba and Lance, what was the last NY kid to really make a splash in the past 7 years? Oh wait, I thought so. Up until the Melo trade, the average NY'er wasn't even messing w/ the Knicks in the past decade. Sure the Knicks had top(or close to top) profits, but that's because of the market; celebs coming to MSG, suit-and-tie dudes getting tickets as gifts, and having the highest or close to highest most pricey tickets.

Once again False
    Listen to WFAN; dudes at work or at school, and most fans don't know what the hell they're talking about. A good # of fans, will say non-sense like the Knicks are a championship contender; Amare was better than Bosh in the 2010 summer, Lin was a franchise player during his run in February. The Knicks like most of NY sports fans(hell sports fans as a whole) typically don't know what the hell they're talking about.

you are correct. NY is and will always be a basketball town. Im a nets fan but i know if the knicks ever win a championship that will be the craziest parade ever. During the summer and spring you can go to almost any basketball court and play 5 on 5 cant say the same about any other sport
  • eyes low
    eyes low Members Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

the only reason yankees and giants are bigger than the knicks is bc they are winning trust me it would be a whole different story if knicks were in the playoffs every year making deep runs
  • greenwood1921
    Options
    From the outside lookin in, I agree that it ain't ? like a high profile Knicks game (when they're good).

I ? with the Knicks back in the day cause John Starks was from my hood and he bought our middle school football team new unis and pads (lol)

Knicks need get back to that "grimey" brand of bball. That run'n'gun ? Pringles was on is woat.

Get back to that Charles Oakley/Starks/Ewing style.
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2012
    Options
    yo @Cosmic_Cannon we had a thread last year on dat NY mecca of basketball ? nd Emm was reachin like a mawfucka them NY ? just overrate themselves smh

Yo I made that thread and alot of NY ? feelings were hurt, ? was claiming ballers from Connecticut
  • BlackAX410
    BlackAX410 Members Posts: 35,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    yo @Cosmic_Cannon we had a thread last year on dat NY mecca of basketball ? nd Emm was reachin like a mawfucka them NY ? just overrate themselves smh

Yo I made that thread and alot of NY ? feelings were hurt, ? was claiming ballers from Connecticut
    i remember dat reach lol @ them being "the mecca" but their last all-star was Ron Artest in 04
  • greenwood1921
    Options
    Artest in 04?????

Well...

...Damn.
  • Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2012
    Options
    ? this outside in ? .

I've lived in Brooklyn the last 11 months. Based on people I talk to about sports at my job and the gym I work at the sporting pecking order goes:

Yankees
    Giants (for now)
    Jets (if they get remotely close to the Bowl, they'll be #2)
    Rangers
    Bricks
    Mets
    Islanders

I withold on the Nets till they get here, but I supposed they'll be somewhere bewteen the Bricks and Mets, due to the fact Dwight and D Will ain't comin' now.

But youse a fool if you think NYC ain't Yankee Town first and all others second...