30 reasons why its painful being a Knicks fan :*-(

Options

Comments

• nycest_1
    nycest_1 Members Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    EmM HoLLa. wrote: »

C'mon son cut it out... If u from NYC.. You play basketball.. I dont know where u are from.. But im from NEW YORK.. And in New York.. Everybody plays basketball.. More so then any other sport.. Whether or not we have somebody from NY playing today that is making an impact has no bearing on NY being a Basketball Town.. Secondly... That also does not take away from the impact NY has had on the game as whole especially in the early days.. When the ABA was still around..

Secondly.. Listening to WFAN or ESPN Radio aint gonna give you an idea of the knowledge of a city with 10 million people.. ? aint got time to be calling into these radio shows and waiting on hold for an hour just to talk for 30 seconds.. Again cmon son cut it out..

And last year.. Amare was a ? MVP candidate. How the hell was he not better then Chris Bosh?.. What are you talking about?... ? just hate NY so much they gotta come in n talk ? cuz they think it sounds good..

Anybody from NY will tell you.. We dont play baseball or football like that.. We play BASKETBALL...

So the sport that's played the most in the area= what sports city it is?
    Basketball is played everywhere bruh, it's a cheap and easy game to pick up, so that doesn't make NY a basketball town. I'm talking about in terms of overall revenue and discussion, NBA and MLB>>>>basketball in NY. If we were to go by your rules, that means basketball is the most popular sport in America, which is clearly not the case(once again I'm talking about revenue and discussion).

Yes, NYC has had an impact on the game. However it's absurd to say NY is the Mecca of B-Ball, when so many other areas have had an great impact of the game, whether nationally or internationally. Springfield, where the game was conceived, and LA as well as others can be attributed to the current state of basketball.

Just from your comment on the radio point, I can clearly see that you're not taking account for the majority of NY'ers. Obviously WFAN and ESPN don't have every resident on, but they have people from every race and creed, while your just basing your opinion on you and whom you associate with(? don't have time for radio, right em?). I brought up The Daily News/Post point about back-page covers, which you carefully dodge around.

I said people saw Amare was better than Bosh in the 2010 SUMMER, summer is a lot different from the 2010 season. Last time I checked, there are no NBA games in the summer(NBA Finals end in mid-June, and summer doesn't start til June 20-ish), and it's the off-season. Yes Amare was a MVP canidate, but I wasn't talking about the season, I was talking about the off-season.

Okay we do play basketball, but in terms of overall revenue and discussion, MLB or NFL>>>basketball.
    bringing up the back page is stupid. baseball is played twice as much as basketball and we are a 2 team town in baseball, 1 in basketball.

the sport being played more than watched DOES make it a basketball town.
    nyc is considered the mecca for dubious and good reasons.
    on the pro scale, the garden is unrivaled in its ferocity and most great players love coming into the mecca and playing their best. often at the expense of the knicks. thats the dubious side
    on the flip side.
    the real reason nyc is the mecca is because during the era when basketball made its rise as an american sport and ? , to this day, is because our summer tournaments and streetball is tops in the planet.
    the rucker had pros playing in it on some street ? for no money jus pure ball and had ? flooding the park without paying a ticket to see some of the best talent.

now other cities have copied the blueprint and the game has grown exponentially but the reason its called the mecca is because of its streetball roots not so much the garden.

and one quick proof that is easy to prove that basketball is superior is if you consider that we haven't had a true nba contender for a championship since 95 and the knicks are still top 5 in richest nba franchises, still top 5 in merchandise and still one of the most lucrative markets in basketball belongs to the knicks.

only a fool would argue the city isn't a basketball city knowing that
  • TheIraq
    TheIraq Members Posts: 5,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Pusher wrote: »
    Most overrated franchise in sports history

• tru_m.a.c
    tru_m.a.c Members Posts: 9,091 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    they won't hear you nycest!

outsiders don't understand, this city is owned by the Yankees & the Knicks

everyone else: rangers, giants, mets, islanders, jets are always vying for that #3 spot

which is sad really, cause the rangers and giants don't really deserve that...they be doing their thing
  • nycest_1
    Options
    put into further perspective
    this whole ? wit the chinito.
    do you honestly think this big ass underdog story takes off anywhere else but nyc?
    you win this city the whole world takes notice whether they like it or not.
    ? know lin is an avg player at best but because he put on a show for a week wit the knicks this ? got to play in the all star weekend and had his jersey shoot up in the sales charts.

before anyone says that had more to do with his race over where he played. how many golden state jerseys sold from homie?
    lol i'll humor ya'll and say that they bring in that much money with a ? squad being 3rd best sport in the city.
    but answer this, what happens if they become a winning team?
    they are top 5 in nba money without a champion contender.
    if they build it you don't think the numbers go up without a doubt?

oh yeah not for nothing but the rangers are the best team in their division and favored to win their ? and this is one of the top hockey towns in america and to put it in perspective not too many ? are given
  • Inglewood_B
    Inglewood_B Members Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2012
    Options
    how is NY not the Mecca of Basketball?

it was... not anymore tho. there is no basketball mecca anymore. ? from all over is real hoopers. NY aint been relevant basketball-wise in years. the last ball player with mega hype from NY was sebastion telfair, and we see how that turned out

• IceBergTaylor
    IceBergTaylor Members Posts: 19,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Queens born/Manhattan raised.

Just a FYI
    eyes low wrote: »

C'mon son cut it out... If u from NYC.. You play basketball.. I dont know where u are from.. But im from NEW YORK.. And in New York.. Everybody plays basketball.. More so then any other sport.. Whether or not we have somebody from NY playing today that is making an impact has no bearing on NY being a Basketball Town.. Secondly... That also does not take away from the impact NY has had on the game as whole especially in the early days.. When the ABA was still around..

Secondly.. Listening to WFAN or ESPN Radio aint gonna give you an idea of the knowledge of a city with 10 million people.. ? aint got time to be calling into these radio shows and waiting on hold for an hour just to talk for 30 seconds.. Again cmon son cut it out..

And last year.. Amare was a ? MVP candidate. How the hell was he not better then Chris Bosh?.. What are you talking about?... ? just hate NY so much they gotta come in n talk ? cuz they think it sounds good..

Anybody from NY will tell you.. We dont play baseball or football like that.. We play BASKETBALL...

Basketball is played everywhere bruh, it's a cheap and easy game to pick up, so that doesn't make NY a basketball town. I'm talking about in terms of overall revenue and discussion, NBA and MLB>>>>basketball in NY. If we were to go by your rules, that means basketball is the most popular sport in America, which is clearly not the case(once again I'm talking about revenue and discussion).

Yes, NYC has had an impact on the game. However it's absurd to say NY is the Mecca of B-Ball, when so many other areas have had an great impact of the game, whether nationally or internationally. Springfield, where the game was conceived, and LA as well as others can be attributed to the current state of basketball.

Just from your comment on the radio point, I can clearly see that you're not taking account for the majority of NY'ers. Obviously WFAN and ESPN don't have every resident on, but they have people from every race and creed, while your just basing your opinion on you and whom you associate with(? don't have time for radio, right em?). I brought up The Daily News/Post point about back-page covers, which you carefully dodge around.

I said people saw Amare was better than Bosh in the 2010 SUMMER, summer is a lot different from the 2010 season. Last time I checked, there are no NBA games in the summer(NBA Finals end in mid-June, and summer doesn't start til June 20-ish), and it's the off-season. Yes Amare was a MVP canidate, but I wasn't talking about the season, I was talking about the off-season.

Okay we do play basketball, but in terms of overall revenue and discussion, MLB or NFL>>>basketball.

the only reason yankees and giants are bigger than the knicks is bc they are winning trust me it would be a whole different story if knicks were in the playoffs every year making deep runs

My dude, the Yankees have always been the biggest sports team in this town. They have been for DECADES. Decades upon Decades. They were bigger than the Knicks when the Knicks were making the playoffs every year in the 90s.
  • tru_m.a.c
    tru_m.a.c Members Posts: 9,091 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    nycest_1 wrote: »
    do you honestly think this big ass underdog story takes off anywhere else but nyc?
    ? know lin is an avg player at best but because he put on a show for a week wit the knicks this ? got to play in the all star weekend and had his jersey shoot up in the sales charts.

before anyone says that had more to do with his race over where he played. how many golden state jerseys sold from homie?
    lol i'll humor ya'll and say that they bring in that much money with a ? squad being 3rd best sport in the city.

oh yeah not for nothing but the rangers are the best team in their division and favored to win their ? and this is one of the top hockey towns in america and to put it in perspective not too many ? are given

yeah I'm waiting to hop on that rangers bandwagon soon

no shame in my game
  • themadlionsfan
    themadlionsfan Members Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lmao @ the NBA lockout got the same amount of coverage as the NFL lockout....? nobody gave a ? ....it was people on this very board sayin ? it.....I'll waste time by watching hockey
  • sean177
    sean177 Members Posts: 89
    Options
    bleeding blue and orange as we speak ...................................
  • Cosmic_Cannon
    Cosmic_Cannon Members Posts: 526 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2012
    Options

Yes, we have seen similar phenomenas? Do you remember Tebow, or Jimmer at BYU?
    The facts are, the Yanks; Giants, and Jets are both worth over a 1 bil. Even with Lin, the Knicks are not sniffing their money. Also, with the sale of the Dodgers for 2 billion, there have been reports that the Mets could be worth up to 1.5 billion.

The facts are evident, NY is not the Mecca of basketball(yes street ball, but everything else and NY is a far cry from being the end all be all of B-Ball), and the pecking order in NY is NFL>MLB>NBA.
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    $pyda wrote: »
    Queens born/Manhattan raised.

Just a FYI
    eyes low wrote: »

the only reason yankees and giants are bigger than the knicks is bc they are winning trust me it would be a whole different story if knicks were in the playoffs every year making deep runs

My dude, the Yankees have always been the biggest sports team in this town. They have been for DECADES. Decades upon Decades. They were bigger than the Knicks when the Knicks were making the playoffs every year in the 90s.

word they been winning since the 20's
  • nycest_1
    Options

Yes, we have seen similar phenomenas? Do you remember Tebow, or Jimmer at BYU?
    The facts are, the Yanks; Giants, and Jets are both worth over a 1 bil. Even with Lin, the Knicks are not sniffing their money. Also, with the sale of the Dodgers for 2 billion, there have been reports that the Mets could be worth up to 1.5 billion.

The facts are evident, NY is not the Mecca of basketball(yes street ball, but everything else and NY is a far cry from being the end all be all of B-Ball), and the pecking order in NY is NFL>MLB>NBA.

lol tebow was maybe a similar phenomena, except for the fact that he was a champion out of college
    jimmerl ed the nation in scoring, thats not at all similar. thats the opposite in fact. he had expectations

do you realize the giants and jets have jersey and nyc revenue? matter of fact in jersey they sell merchandise that says nj giants and nj jets. so umm yeah, thats another reason for that
    the yankees are the yankees, that empire won't ever ?
    and the mets are still beloved in 3 boroughs.

none of what you spoke about takes away from the knicks with a bad team (mind you aside from the mets all of those teams are championship contenders) are still top 5 in the league in revenue
    and our street ball scene is still top 3 in the country
    so on a professional and amatuer level ny basketball is relevant

keep in mind you claim the knicks aren't sniffing that money but they are amongst the tops in the nba.
    (btw you do know that the yankees sell more merchandise than alot of teams in other markets too)
  • Cosmic_Cannon
    Options
    lol tebow was maybe a similar phenomena, except for the fact that he was a champion out of college
    jimmerl ed the nation in scoring, thats not at all similar. thats the opposite in fact. he had expectations

do you realize the giants and jets have jersey and nyc revenue? matter of fact in jersey they sell merchandise that says nj giants and nj jets. so umm yeah, thats another reason for that

none of what you spoke about takes away from the knicks with a bad team (mind you aside from the mets all of those teams are championship contenders) are still top 5 in the league in revenue

keep in mind you claim the knicks aren't sniffing that money but they are amongst the tops in the nba.
    (btw you do know that the yankees sell more merchandise than alot of teams in other markets too)

1. The Knicks have fans in NYC/Westchester/Long Island/ New Jersey/Connecticut, just like the Giants/Jets/Yankees/Mets.
    Before you say, the Knicks share the same market w/ the Nets, well the Mets/Jets share the same market with the Giants/Yankees and still gross more than the Knicks individually.

2. In the 20 years(mid 1980s, is when the NBA started to become relevant on a national scale), the Knicks had 11 winning seasons(over .500) compared to the Giants and Jets who both had 10 winning seasons from 1991 - now.

3. Yes, the Knicks are top 2 in value for NBA team. The Lakers and Knicks are both worth in the 780 - 920 million range(top 2 mind you), however the top 10 of NFL teams are all worth 1+ billion, and the top 5 in MLB(account for the recent sale of the Dodgers) are all 1+ billion. The Knicks are a valuable franchise, but they're worth less than the NY MLB/NFL teams, and the MLB/NFL teams are significantly worth more than NBA teams.

Yes, NY is legendary for street ball and for the Harlem Globe Trotters. Yes, the Knicks are relevant in NY and in the NBA. However, the facts remain, NY is not a basketball town, and New York City is not the end all be all for basketball as a whole. That sentence above has been the constants of my argument, and have reign true.
  • rakim ii
    rakim ii Members Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭
    Options
    PiffyHaze wrote: »
    *not from NY post*
    dont talk about it if yu dont know what yu talking about

I'm 19
    The kid is only 19 and that explains everything. The kid basically grew up watching the terrible new millineum knicks, he didn't grow up in the days Rucker Park at it's peak, so of course he's gonna say New York not the mecca. He wouldn't understand b/c it's way before his time and you guys are going back and forth with a kid who is pulling up stats and numbers off the internet. This was way before his time he never experienced it. How would he know?

• af.r.i.c.a.
    af.r.i.c.a. Members Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    the eastern conference Warriors
  • nycest_1
    Options

1. The Knicks have fans in NYC/Westchester/Long Island/ New Jersey/Connecticut, just like the Giants/Jets/Yankees/Mets.
    Before you say, the Knicks share the same market w/ the Nets, well the Mets/Jets share the same market with the Giants/Yankees and still gross more than the Knicks individually.

2. In the 20 years(mid 1980s, is when the NBA started to become relevant on a national scale), the Knicks had 11 winning seasons(over .500) compared to the Giants and Jets who both had 10 winning seasons from 1991 - now.

3. Yes, the Knicks are top 2 in value for NBA team. The Lakers and Knicks are both worth in the 780 - 920 million range(top 2 mind you), however the top 10 of NFL teams are all worth 1+ billion, and the top 5 in MLB(account for the recent sale of the Dodgers) are all 1+ billion. The Knicks are a valuable franchise, but they're worth less than the NY MLB/NFL teams, and the MLB/NFL teams are significantly worth more than NBA teams.

Yes, NY is legendary for street ball and for the Harlem Globe Trotters. Yes, the Knicks are relevant in NY and in the NBA. However, the facts remain, NY is not a basketball town, and New York City is not the end all be all for basketball as a whole. That sentence above has been the constants of my argument, and have reign true.

ok thanks for clearing up the issue.
    its that you do not understand the argument
    so allow me to help you with that.
    you bring up the 80s as when the nba became relevant (btw what the ? man, 1980-2012 is 20 years to you?????)
    since then the knicks have had 1 superstar in patrick ewing (he was arguably the best center for a while and if you look at his rosters he won the most of all the great bigs with the least amount of help) the knicks as a team have been marketed heavy and nyc holds them afloat. so for a team with barely any superstars to be top two in the nba with no titles, how the ? are they not relevant in basketball? and how do they not have a claim to playings for the mecca?
    a non basketball city as you claim is top 2 in nba team value.......
    re-read that. the only team worth more is the team with the second most nba championships.

quick question. whats the most played sport in nyc? most leagues, most tournaments, almost if not all the schools have a team in this sport, top playground sport? you believe its football, then baseball, then basketball.......i honestly have to question whether you really live in nyc.

so let me ask you, how many knick fans do you think exist really outside of nyc?
    like real die hard knick fans?
    how many giant fans exist outside of nyc?
    how many YANKEE fans exist outside of nyc?

if you don't get where i'm going with this, i'm pretty much telling you that argument about revenue = relevance is stupid.
    the yankees outsell everyone in everysport
    should i make the argument that the yankees are more relevant in boston or LA than their respective teams in any sport because they earn more?
    point went over your head about the money and worth. think of where the money is generated not so much how much.
    (btw about 60% of the city couldnt even watch knick games this year....yet they still remained the top story in the media with linsanity)

you hit the nail on the head about our legendary streetball
    about the globtrotters and the knicks relevance in the nba

so my question is, if not nyc, then who?
    baltimore?
    LA?
    Boston?
    Chicago?

who else has claim to being the MECCA of basketball?
  • rico_ENS
    rico_ENS Members Posts: 896 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Cosmic aint from nyc
  • Cosmic_Cannon
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Just because the Knicks are not the most popular team in NY, that does NOT mean that they're irrelevant in the NBA or NY. Although basketball is the most played sport in NY, all of the NY MLB and NFL teams draw more revenue than any sort of basketball in NY. When I mean by saying NY isn't a basketball town, I'm saying that in terms of popularity in NY it goes like this; MLB/NFL>NBA>NHL>College Sports.

A sport can be second or third in a city/area and still be relevant, the Texas Rangers and Dallas Mavericks have had enormous success in the past 2 years, and are still behind the Cowboys in popularity in the Dallas-Fort Worth area. The Texas Rangers and Mavericks are relevant in the DFW area and in the MLB/NBA, it's just that the Cowboys are more valuable and worth more as a franchise compared to the Rangers/Mavericks. The Knicks are a popular brand in NY and in the NBA, it's just that they're not as valuable as the Giants/Jets/Yankees/Mets are. New Yorkers care about basketball, it's just that the NY NFL and MLB teams are more valuable teams.

No area/region/city can claim the title as being the Mecca of basketball, because the game's history is so deep and can be attributed to many different areas. However, NY is IMPORTANT to the game of basketball. While areas such as LA(Lakers, UCLA); Boston(Celtics), North Carolina(UNC, Duke), Mid-West(great players came from the area in Bird;Magic, Rose, Wade, Isiah Thomas, Bird, and others. great NCAA programs in Kansas; Illionois, and Indiana), Connecticut(men's and women's NCAA team) have had large impacts on the game of basketball just like NY.

• almighty breeze
    almighty breeze Members Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No sympathy. Seems New Yorkers cant exist without exaggerating either way. When they're winning no one else matters or is comparable&if they're losing its woe-is-us-you-cant-understand-what-its-like. Theres this ? idea that NYers can talk ? &comment on anywhere else but when it comes to them - "dont talk about NY if u aint from/live here". Lmao Get a grip. In general we have to hear way too much about this ? as if they're the only city in a slump. Be it the media or fans. In general New Yorkers will be the 1st to dismiss any other citys significance&disregard anything from outside its city limits or doesnt feel lives up to the standard they created that no one else agreed to. NY called itself the Mecca. We aint come up with that for them. Add in that its the biggest media market & the bias &everything that comes with that & its sovereign unto itself

You dont get to spend 35-40 years acting as the utmost authority on everyting cultural (Basketball/Hip Hop) then whine about your plight. If NY was JUST goin through a title drought then thats that. But that aint the case- Knicks get the most attention for a franchise that largely hasnt done ? since Stevie Wonder dropped Innervisions & George Clinton was on his first wig. Every year. Every & anything Knicklike is the 1st, 3rd, 4th and last story on SC, PTI etc. Anything having to do with Knicks basketball is overblown and beat to death.
    Remember Jeremy Lin? What happened to dude- he was so consistent for so many years...
    The 70,73 & 94-97 Knicks teams have had their ? sucked so relentlessly by media members that it really keeps them in the spotlight all on its own. Outside of the fact that its plenty of cities with multiple teams that aint won ? in any of them. Didnt yall just have a parade. Get over yourselves
  • almighty breeze
    almighty breeze Members Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ay how i delete them other 3 posts kinfolk. ? went haywire on this end ya feel me?
  • nycest_1
    Options
    No sympathy. Seems New Yorkers cant exist without exaggerating either way. When they're winning no one else matters or is comparable&if they're losing its woe-is-us-you-cant-understand-what-its-like. Theres this ? idea that NYers can talk ? &comment on anywhere else but when it comes to them - "dont talk about NY if u aint from/live here". Lmao Get a grip. In general we have to hear way too much about this ? as if they're the only city in a slump. Be it the media or fans. In general New Yorkers will be the 1st to dismiss any other citys significance&disregard anything from outside its city limits or doesnt feel lives up to the standard they created that no one else agreed to. NY called itself the Mecca. We aint come up with that for them. Add in that its the biggest media market & the bias &everything that comes with that & its sovereign unto itself

You dont get to spend 35-40 years acting as the utmost authority on everyting cultural (Basketball/Hip Hop) then whine about your plight. If NY was JUST goin through a title drought then thats that. But that aint the case- Knicks get the most attention for a franchise that largely hasnt done ? since Stevie Wonder dropped Innervisions & George Clinton was on his first wig. Every year. Every & anything Knicklike is the 1st, 3rd, 4th and last story on SC, PTI etc. Anything having to do with Knicks basketball is overblown and beat to death.
    Remember Jeremy Lin? What happened to dude- he was so consistent for so many years...
    The 70,73 & 94-97 Knicks teams have had their ? sucked so relentlessly by media members that it really keeps them in the spotlight all on its own. Outside of the fact that its plenty of cities with multiple teams that aint won ? in any of them. Didnt yall just have a parade. Get over yourselves

lol so ur upset that ny basketball is the most relevant despite lacking an nba title?
    i'd be thankful that ny gave birth to hiphop and still runs it to this day but with a broader spectrum and allowing many more places to eat.
    as far as basketball, our streetball game gave birth to many a scene and set the blueprint for other cities to follow

i'll give u an example of why ny is the mecca with the streetball ?

we had our rucker heads put out a tape on the strength of rafer alston (streetball legend) and had the and 1 tapes put national attention on so many other cities streetball and players.
    ? who owe their whole claim to fame on some streetballers from nyc.

i know its the cool thing to do to hate the influence we have from this city. but why bite the hand that feeds ya'll???
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Knicks aint ? ...they will always b number 3
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Try being a delusional Cubs fan.
  • Cosmic_Cannon
    Options
    C'mon guys lets end this discussion, this is pointless.
    Mods lock this up.
  • rakim ii
    rakim ii Members Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭
    Options
    May need to add about 10 more reasons