NCAA and NBA beefing over One and Done's

Options
CottonCitySlim
CottonCitySlim Members Posts: 7,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2012 in From the Cheap Seats
Seems NCAA prez and many schools want the NBA to raise the age limit again, but Stern doesn't want the NBA to be blamed for the issue's, he even took shots at Kentucky.

http://espn.go.com/espn/commentary/story/_/id/7751190/mark-emmert-david-stern-exchange-one-done-salvos

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/28/david-stern-takes-a-shot-at-the-ncaa-when-asked-about-one-and-done-players-in-college-basketball/

Comments

• caddo man
    caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They need to do the same they do in Baseball. Case closed. Let them boys get a taste of the competition. ? they will be running back to college.
  • CottonCitySlim
    CottonCitySlim Members Posts: 7,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i think it has more to do with how kentucky is exploiting the system, they really had a fit with duke starting to suffer from this...can't have the dukies falling prey to one and dones
  • caddo man
    Options
    lol @ NCAA not being satisfied with making millions off of these kids for one year. They want at least two or three years of cappin first. I don't understand how you're going to tell a grown man "HE HAS TO GO TO SCHOOL". WTF?!?!?!!?!!?!?!

They dont have to. They can go the Jennings route then hit the NBDL route. Play a year in Puerto Rico and bam know they ? dont have to take basket weaving and bowling techniques.
  • Matt-
    Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    whats the problem with doing in the football way?

I obviously know why football doesn't allow 18 year old kids to play in the league, and its not the same as 18 years olds playing in the NBA, but the rule itself would be great for both NBA and NCAA.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    matt- wrote: »

I obviously know why football doesn't allow 18 year old kids to play in the league, and its not the same as 18 years olds playing in the NBA, but the rule itself would be great for both NBA and NCAA.

I agree. That's why I think the NFL is better than the NBA. On the average it just seems like players come into the game with better fundamentals. That's part of the reason that I don't like the NBA much anymore. It seems like most of the players are no good. They are just very athletic. When it comes to doing things that should be a given like playing consistent defense, they just can't do it.

• king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I agree. That's why I think the NFL is better than the NBA. On the average it just seems like players come into the game with better fundamentals. That's part of the reason that I don't like the NBA much anymore. It seems like most of the players are no good. They are just very athletic. When it comes to doing things that should be a given like playing consistent defense, they just can't do it.
    I feel everything in the bolded. If you look back at the drafts from about 15 years ago you had a lot of seniors and juniors goin pro. They were better fundamentaly and you did'nt have to wait on a upside or potentional

• Matt-
    Options
    caddo man wrote: »
    lol @ NCAA not being satisfied with making millions off of these kids for one year. They want at least two or three years of cappin first. I don't understand how you're going to tell a grown man "HE HAS TO GO TO SCHOOL". WTF?!?!?!!?!!?!?!

They dont have to. They can go the Jennings route then hit the NBDL route. Play a year in Puerto Rico and bam know they ? dont have to take basket weaving and bowling techniques.

I know it's ways around it. I'm just saying, I find it funny that they're trying to make these players go to school. THEY'RE GROWN MEN. NCAA just wants the money. They don't give two ? about the students. Pro Sports in America is the only place where you have colleges try tell businesses what is required to work. The ? is ridiculous.

i thought that at least with basketball and football, you just have to be out of high school for 1 year, or 3 years for football. Its not saying that you HAVE to go to college. And i also thought that the NBA and the NFL set their requirements based on their own judgement, not because the NCAA told them to.
  • Matt-
    Options

I know it's ways around it. I'm just saying, I find it funny that they're trying to make these players go to school. THEY'RE GROWN MEN. NCAA just wants the money. They don't give two ? about the students. Pro Sports in America is the only place where you have colleges try tell businesses what is required to work. The ? is ridiculous.

i thought that at least with basketball and football, you just have to be out of high school for 1 year, or 3 years for football. Its not saying that you HAVE to go to college. And i also thought that the NBA and the NFL set their requirements based on their own judgement, not because the NCAA told them to.

That's what they want Matt. They want you to be unemployed for 2 years or(persuasive offer) you can go to school. They know that these players' parents are going to make them go to school rather than sit and not do ? with no promise of making to the NBA in 2 years. They know a lot players don't like living overseas away from friends and family that they've been around all of their lives.

Now, they're trying to raise the age limit so those other two options become less intriguing and MAKE THEM GO TO SCHOOL for atleast 2 or 3 years so they can gain 2 or 3 more years of profit. They don't give a dam about their education or "player development".

nobody makes them become a professional athlete. if its something they want bad enough, i'd like to think they could suck it up overseas and not be homesick if it meant that they didn't have to go to college. And it works both ways. they don't care about these schools. they are using them to showcase their talents to the world and increase their popularity, so when they go to the NBA, they are already a household name. Thats why things work so great for Kentucky. They don't care about those kids. the kids don't care about kentucky. and everyone accepts that because everyone benefits. Its a place to showcase to the league what kind of player they are.

• KeepOnPushing
    KeepOnPushing Members Posts: 17,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    All drafts should be like MLB Draft in my opinion , u dont have to enter the draft you're just selected and you're left with the option to return or sign

Junior College u can get drafted freshman or sophmore year , D1-A you have to stay at least 3 years or be 3 years removed from HS , HS they just pick you

in basketball i would just take off the 3 years , one year is enough in College Basketball....a guy like Derrick Rose what purpose would have served him to stay 2 or 3 years? i mean it was so obvious he was NBA Ready

also it would help guys who thought they were draftable and got bad info and had 2 or 3 years left of ball to play instead of going undrafted and really not having a plan cuz they thought they would get picked they would be able to return to school..

Lenny Cooke comes to mind , the kid really thought he was getting drafted already entered the draft doesn't get picked and then couldnt go to college either and play ball ...

i really Would like to see the sport have a similar draft as MLB .

people dont complain about 16-18 year olds working regular jobs , nobody says "Oh they're too young " , so i dont see why there is that cloud over the NBA like it's such a bad thing , or that it's the kids fault , NBA is a job ... it's not like these kids drafting themself , it would actually change the outcome of a lot of those kids life as well the one's who got bad info

• bigev240
    bigev240 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 10,925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think on the sports side of things it is a good idea that they raise the age limit because both the pro and college game has been watered down somewhat. But of course you will have a Jennings case where a kid will go overseas for a year then declare for the draft. I think that anyway this goes it will be some problems to go along with it.
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    let them go straight from high school to the pros. Some will prosper and some will fail. If you don't get drafted then tough ? . Welcome to the real world. it's really a smack in the face to young black men.

• P. Town
    P. Town Members Posts: 27,306 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2012
    Options
    A mandatory year in the D-League for one and done's sounds fair
  • KeepOnPushing
    KeepOnPushing Members Posts: 17,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    bigev240 wrote: »
    I think on the sports side of things it is a good idea that they raise the age limit because both the pro and college game has been watered down somewhat. But of course you will have a Jennings case where a kid will go overseas for a year then declare for the draft. I think that anyway this goes it will be some problems to go along with it.

1 year is fine enough

look at some1 like Anthony Davis ....the injury he had last week , say if that was serious and he blew out his knee (Which he didnt) ...i can tell u right now something like that from last week is a reason why he probably eliminated any thought of returning ..im sure he wasnt anyways but that could have been nasty ...then what? you come back as a Sophmore gimpin around and not the same player then your draft stock has dropped

Like what else does Anthony Davis really have to prove after this season?? but yet if you up the age again he would be forced to come back ...i just think it's unfair to kids that obvious that are a top 3 lock pick and have nothing else to prove but yet they HAVE to come back ......like i said nobody has a issue with kids working jobs at age 16-18 so why is this a problem?..

or either MKG from Kentucky , he's probably a top 5 pick i mean there's no reason for someone like that being forced to come back
  • bigev240
    bigev240 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 10,925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    bigev240 wrote: »

1 year is fine enough

look at some1 like Anthony Davis ....the injury he had last week , say if that was serious and he blew out his knee (Which he didnt) ...i can tell u right now something like that from last week is a reason why he probably eliminated any thought of returning ..im sure he wasnt anyways but that could have been nasty ...then what? you come back as a Sophmore gimpin around and not the same player then your draft stock has dropped

Like what else does Anthony Davis really have to prove after this season?? but yet if you up the age again he would be forced to come back ...i just think it's unfair to kids that obvious that are a top 3 lock pick and have nothing else to prove but yet they HAVE to come back ......like i said nobody has a issue with kids working jobs at age 16-18 so why is this a problem?..

or either MKG from Kentucky , he's probably a top 5 pick i mean there's no reason for someone like that being forced to come back

I see what your saying.
  • Matt-
    Options

That's what they want Matt. They want you to be unemployed for 2 years or(persuasive offer) you can go to school. They know that these players' parents are going to make them go to school rather than sit and not do ? with no promise of making to the NBA in 2 years. They know a lot players don't like living overseas away from friends and family that they've been around all of their lives.

Now, they're trying to raise the age limit so those other two options become less intriguing and MAKE THEM GO TO SCHOOL for atleast 2 or 3 years so they can gain 2 or 3 more years of profit. They don't give a dam about their education or "player development".

nobody makes them become a professional athlete. if its something they want bad enough, i'd like to think they could suck it up overseas and not be homesick if it meant that they didn't have to go to college. And it works both ways. they don't care about these schools. they are using them to showcase their talents to the world and increase their popularity, so when they go to the NBA, they are already a household name. Thats why things work so great for Kentucky. They don't care about those kids. the kids don't care about kentucky. and everyone accepts that because everyone benefits. Its a place to showcase to the league what kind of player they are.

Correct, there's no argument from me about your post. I'm just calling a ? a ? . You're right, players can suck it up and go overseas but you know that everyone isn't Brandon Jennings and it's a tougher road going that route. You know that some of these players are flat out too dam stupid to sit and understand anything above a 9th grade level, let alone college. I'm just saying, the NCAA is trying to make players' path to the NBA longer for their own financial gain. I know the players don't give a dam about the schools but unlike the schools the players aren't spittin out a bunch of ? saying they want them to stay longer because they care about them.

i think some people talke like that, but it seems that more and more college coaches try to help underclassmen realize their value if they left school, and where they might be drafted. I think the only way a coach tries to persuade a guy to come back is if the folks in the NBA don't want to draft that player. The coaches don't really play that 'we care about your education' ? , they already know what it is.

The other side is, a college president can't really come out and endorse kids leaving school early. They are supposed to be selling their school as an academin institution, not a basketball academy. and the NCAA can't do it either since well almost all of the athletes will go pro in something other than sports.

but i don't know how the NCAA can make a player stay in school longer. its the NBA who decides the requirements.
  • Matt-
    Options
    ptowndonte wrote: »
    A mandatory year in the D-League for one and done's sounds fair

just to make Antoine Walker feel better for finally getting to play with NBA talent again
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Why would the NBA put their budding stars in the D league? This is the NCAA's problem not the NBA's. I'm not sure anythign can be done to solve this.
  • tru_m.a.c
    tru_m.a.c Members Posts: 9,091 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2012
    Options
    honestly the NBA should actually be embarrassed

It should be a smack in the face for current NBA players when so many kids feel like they can go straight to the league after 1 yr
  • Matt-
    Options

Correct, there's no argument from me about your post. I'm just calling a ? a ? . You're right, players can suck it up and go overseas but you know that everyone isn't Brandon Jennings and it's a tougher road going that route. You know that some of these players are flat out too dam stupid to sit and understand anything above a 9th grade level, let alone college. I'm just saying, the NCAA is trying to make players' path to the NBA longer for their own financial gain. I know the players don't give a dam about the schools but unlike the schools the players aren't spittin out a bunch of ? saying they want them to stay longer because they care about them.

i think some people talke like that, but it seems that more and more college coaches try to help underclassmen realize their value if they left school, and where they might be drafted. I think the only way a coach tries to persuade a guy to come back is if the folks in the NBA don't want to draft that player. The coaches don't really play that 'we care about your education' ? , they already know what it is.

The other side is, a college president can't really come out and endorse kids leaving school early. They are supposed to be selling their school as an academin institution, not a basketball academy. and the NCAA can't do it either since well almost all of the athletes will go pro in something other than sports.

but i don't know how the NCAA can make a player stay in school longer. its the NBA who decides the requirements.

the NCAA is trying to influence the NBA 2 change their requirements. Those kids don't have to quit school. They can stay in school and play in the NBA at the same time. But like someone else said earlier, the MLB process would definately be a good way to draft these players.

cosign. gwinnett county, all day
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The NCAA needs to stop acting like this ? is really ameteur athletics, these athletes are basically indentured servants. How the ? are you gonna tell grown men that they can't go pursue their dreams, and try to act like ya'll give a ? about them on a educational level. You've been pimping players for a good while using their likeness to sell jersey's, video games, and getting tv contracts, if that ain't some exploitation i don't know what is.

If athletes are forced to stay 2-3 and not get paid, then coaches like Callipari, Patino,etc should get paid like professors then. How you gonna tell a kid to stay in school when you making 7 mil a year and in these times when they can take care of their families for life.
  • caddo man
    Options

I feel everything in the bolded. If you look back at the drafts from about 15 years ago you had a lot of seniors and juniors goin pro. They were better fundamentaly and you did'nt have to wait on a upside or potentional

"The truth should set you free!" that is cosign in church talk!

• MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    The NCAA needs to stop acting like this ? is really ameteur athletics, these athletes are basically indentured servants. How the ? are you gonna tell grown men that they can't go pursue their dreams, and try to act like ya'll give a ? about them on a educational level. You've been pimping players for a good while using their likeness to sell jersey's, video games, and getting tv contracts, if that ain't some exploitation i don't know what is.

If athletes are forced to stay 2-3 and not get paid, then coaches like Callipari, Patino,etc should get paid like professors then. How you gonna tell a kid to stay in school when you making 7 mil a year and in these times when they can take care of their families for life.

Yeah its funny that before the NCAA realizes there isn't enough "money" or a college program says they are not making a "profit" they pay themselves millions of dollars before. And the reason many amateur sports did not pay players historically is because usually amateur leagues never had the profits to pay people. But the NCAA is an orginization making millions off their product and could easily cut profits of coaches and admins and pay players.
  • WhoisDonG???
    WhoisDonG??? Members Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    In the long run 1 and dones water down the league because most of the players are just getting drafted off potential. I love the old drafts where you knew this player was going to be a beast off top. Plus most cats dont wlrk on there game once they cash there checks.
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Someone needs to post some stats on what the percentage of 4 year players who went on to have successful careers in the league compared to straight out of high school or one and done. Last time i check Rose, Lebron, Kobe, Garnett,etc and most of the great players in the league weren't 3-4 year players, if you're gonna be great a extra 2-3 in college isn't going to help that.
  • one_manshow
    one_manshow Members Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2012
    Options