California Weed Legalization ballot initiative will be named "Prop19", NAACP endorses

Options
Swiffness!
Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2010 in The Social Lounge
I don't wanna hear any of that "voting is pointless" ? from any Cali ? for the next couple of months.

The polls show support is split 50/50. TURNOUT WILL DECIDE THE OUTCOME.

So get your ass to the polls this November and you can create a world where burning a L in the smoking section is perfectly legal. Make Pac proud.

The California NAACP has endorsed a November ballot measure to legalize adult recreational use of marijuana, calling the measure a civil rights issue because blacks have a disproportionate number of arrests for marijuana possession compared with whites.

Accompanied by other African American leaders in California, the president of the state NAACP, Alice Huffman, said the current prohibition on marijuana has led to the criminalizing of young people and consequently has hampered the ability of many African Americans to prosper.

The organization is the most mainstream statewide entity to endorse the marijuana measure, Proposition 19, to date.

"This is not a war on the drug lords, this is a war against young men and women of color," Huffman said, adding later that, "Once a young person is arrested and brought under the justice system, he or she is more likely to get caught in the criminal justice system again, further wasting tax dollars."

Huffman and other leaders - including Aubry Stone, president of the California Black Chamber of Commerce - argued that money currently spent on enforcing marijuana laws would be better spent on education.

Prop. 19 would legalize cultivation, possession and transporting marijuana for personal use for people 21 or older. Local governments would be permitted to tax and regulate the production and sale of marijuana. It would still be illegal under federal law.

Stephen Gutwillig, California State Director of the Drug Policy Alliance, called the NAACP endorsement a "landmark moment."

"This is the African American community establishment saying 'enough is enough,' " Gutwillig said.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/06/29/BAIB1E6RBG.DTL#ixzz0sNxYDSY5

The NAACP's endorsement Monday of the tax and regulate cannabis initiative in California, now known as Prop. 19, stems from a bombshell of a report that details a statewide pattern of systematic “racism without racists” that targets black people for marijuana arrest. Heavily policing the 'hood puts black youths in cops' crosshairs, where a simple possession charge and $100 ticket starts a rap sheet that leads directly to increased arrest and loss of job opportunities and college financial aid, even though blacks use less marijuana than whites.

"Targeting Blacks for Marijuana" is in many ways the same old story told anew. The study by Queens College sociologist Dr. Harry G. Levine and two peers builds upon the same type of FBI crime statistics analysis he did in New York. This time, he looked at four years worth of arrests in California from 2004 to 2008, some 60,000 marijuana arrests, where he found that:

In every one of the 25 largest counties in California, blacks are arrested for marijuana possession at higher rates than whites, typically at double, triple, or even quadruple the rate of whites.

The rate is triple in LA. San Diego and Orange County also heavily target blacks.

The report also finds: “The substantial disparities in marijuana possession arrest rates between whites and blacks cannot be explained by their patterns of marijuana use. U.S. government studies consistently find that young blacks use marijuana at lower rates than young whites.”

http://www.eastbayexpress.com/LegalizationNation/archives/2010/06/30/as-blacks-targeted-for-? -naacp-throws-support-to-prop-19

LINK TO THE "TARGETING BLACKS FOR MARIJUANA" STUDY - http://drugpolicy.org/docUploads/Targeting_Blacks_for_Marijuana_06_29_10.pdf

Comments

• ThaChozenWun
    ThaChozenWun Members Posts: 9,390
    edited June 2010
    Options
    First step to something great. Hopefully this passes and the rest of the US follows its usually bandwagon jumping routine. Profitable, useful, job creating, and current job easing. Imagine taking a lunch break and smoking a J before coming back to work....... and not getting fired for it since I know most yall ? smoke on break anyway.
  • Swiffness!
    edited June 2010
    Options
    This is the Trillest ? a NAACP branch has done in a lonnnnnnnnnnnng time.
  • ThaChozenWun
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Legalizing mary jane>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Going to the supreme court over a card that talks about the color black with no racial discrimination involved at all
  • northside7
    northside7 Members Posts: 25,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    So if this passes, weed will be legal on a federal level as well?
  • satyrone
    satyrone Members Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    its damn near is legal here with all the canbus clubs and the power of a club card so the po's cant ? with you. i dont smoke no more but im voting to have it leagalized.
  • Swiffness!
    edited June 2010
    Options
    northside7 wrote: »

that's a whole nother political battle

obama did end the constant federal raids on medical dispensaries tho.

one DEA agent was talkin all kinds of ? about shutting them all down after he busted some guy in Colorado that had more plants than he want licensed for, but he changed that tune real quick after getting a phone call from some higher ups
  • DarcSkies777
    DarcSkies777 Members Posts: 5,600 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    northside7 wrote: »

No just in the state. THis is more about ending racial profiling through law than it is about weed. For me anyway.
  • MacOne
    MacOne Banned Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    As someone who lived in cali his whole life this ? is not gonna pass
  • DarcSkies777
    DarcSkies777 Members Posts: 5,600 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    MacOne wrote: »

Sure wont. Pigs & lobbyists who have a stack in the prison/jail system will run all kinds of ads with black people selling weed to little white girls through school fences and ? lol

Crackers gonna come out in droves to stop that ? .
  • MacOne
    edited July 2010
    Options
    This is an important proposition but 3rd on the list for me. Propositions 24 and 25 are top priority IMO if youre going to hit the ballot box in cali. 24 closes corporate tax loopholes, and would help with the budget deficit situation. And 25, which is long overdue, reestablishes majority rule for the budget process in the state legislature. this is an absolute MUST otherwise it doesnt matter who is governor or anything else NOTHING in sacramento will change.
  • Ounceman
    Ounceman Members Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    somebody finally flicked the switch on in the naacp's heads
  • northside7
    northside7 Members Posts: 25,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    No just in the state. THis is more about ending racial profiling through law than it is about weed. For me anyway.

You blaze?
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    valleyogcu5.jpg

OG MASTER

That's what it's all about most of the time for me.
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    First step to something great. Hopefully this passes and the rest of the US follows its usually bandwagon jumping routine. Profitable, useful, job creating, and current job easing. Imagine taking a lunch break and smoking a J before coming back to work....... and not getting fired for it since I know most yall ? smoke on break anyway.

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!! It's also about time the NAACP does something useful.
  • kingblaze84
    edited July 2010
    Options
    The NAACP would be a much more powerful organization if they were more active in ? like this. I GUARANTEE if the NAACP supported legalizing weed nationwide, it would be in effect by now.
  • ThaChozenWun
    edited July 2010
    Options
    heyslick wrote: »
    This is exactly Y it won't be passed. What an idiotic perspective this fool has. Just because alcohol is legal that doesn't mean someone can go out at lunch and drink alcohol without possible consequences for being ? on the job/or stoned.

Being ? and trying to do daily activities is alot different from smoking a J then going on about life.
  • ThaChozenWun
    edited July 2010
    Options
    I hear what your saying but,that doesn't mean SOME folks won't abuse that freedom so why make it legal and open up the possibilities for some to jeopardize their fellow employees welfare on the job. Seriously weed is considered a drug and many employers will see it that way and they will terminate you regardless of it's legality.

Do they fire you for takin a smoke break? Cigs are just as bad as weed yet they are perfectly fine. Once most employers see past the lies they were told about it and realize people will do more work and be more productive while high they will accept it with open arms. Some will abuse it, but not everyone. I could see it being abused by people not working more than people working though.
  • Swiffness!
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Say what? why can't you understand that one is an legal drug and the other isn't legal,yet? I do agree that cigarettes are more dangerous and harmful than weed but,some of this medicinal grade marijuana is awfully strong & I wouldn't want to be working beside someone who's stoned on that weed.....period!

If they do that then their employer can simply fire them for showing up to work intoxicated.

Alcohol is legal, but if you're stumbling around ? at work, you're gonna be looking for a new job soon.
  • smokelahoma
    smokelahoma Members Posts: 6,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Sure wont. Pigs & lobbyists who have a stack in the prison/jail system will run all kinds of ads with black people selling weed to little white girls through school fences and ? lol

Crackers gonna come out in droves to stop that ? .

both of you fake ass black power revolutionaries better take your ass out there and vote. potheads everywhere in America are counting on Cali to come through. the smokers in Cali alone should be able to put this ? over the top. drop the excuses and pick up a purpose, damn it.
  • MacOne
    edited July 2010
    Options
    both of you fake ass black power revolutionaries better take your ass out there and vote. potheads everywhere in America are counting on Cali to come through. the smokers in Cali alone should be able to put this ? over the top. drop the excuses and pick up a purpose, damn it.

potheads dont vote. the people who vote arent going to support this proposition. old and middle aged folks are going to vote to legalize marijuana? not happening. and mexicans wont vote for it either... they are on their family values ? ... and they are increasingly mobilized these days
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    edited July 2010
    Options
    The NAACP would be a much more powerful organization if they were more active in ? like this. I GUARANTEE if the NAACP supported legalizing weed nationwide, it would be in effect by now.
    i would actually take this bet (well... if it was phrased in bet form, anyway), and i am not anti-legalization
  • kingblaze84
    edited July 2010
    Options
    I hear what your saying but,that doesn't mean SOME folks won't abuse that freedom so why make it legal and open up the possibilities for some to jeopardize their fellow employees welfare on the job. Seriously weed is considered a drug and many employers will see it that way and they will terminate you regardless of it's legality.

Good point, but alcohol has been proven time and time again to be more dangerous than weed, so why is alcohol legal yet weed is not??? Weed does not cause liver damage and kidney damage the way alcohol does. Marijuana at worst can hurt your lungs if you smoke it too much, especially with dutches and other tobacco paper. But in the long run, marijuana has more health benefits than negatives. It is actively treated in some parts of Canada and the USA to treat several diseases, including cancer. Plus, if weed is legalized, the economy would get better because many people can become self employed VERY easily. That will do miracles for the economy....

If our politicians have any brains at all, they will legalize weed very soon. It's a damn shame people in this nation don't have all the facts when it comes to marijuana.
  • kingblaze84
    edited July 2010
    Options
    janklow wrote: »
    i would actually take this bet (well... if it was phrased in bet form, anyway), and i am not anti-legalization

The NAACP helped get civil rights passed, and has MASSIVE power all throughout the USA.....I wouldn't bet against them.
  • kingblaze84
    edited July 2010
    Options
    kingblaze84

Don't ever rely on our politicians to have the common sense approach to this issue,you do realize there way to smart/ignorant to understand,right? I live in California and they have decriminalized marijuana possession i.e, (less than ounce) to a citation and a very small fine,I can handle that and it's fine as far as I'm concerned.IMO alcohol and tobacco are far worse than smoking a joint and Fyi I don't smoke cigarettes or drink alcohol and I did abuse them for many years. (I quit both of them in the early 90's)

I'm glad you quit abusing alcohol and cigarettes, that's a huge accomplishment. I know people right now as we speak who are addicted, and each of them has kids. It's not easy to quit abusing these things when we now know cigarettes is more addictive than heroin (through nicotine).

I had no idea weed is just a citation in Cali if it's less than an ounce, that's beautiful. The next step now is to legalize it completely so people can make money off of it more than people are making money off it now. You are sadly right that politicians usually lack common sense when it comes to a common sense approach toward issues. Us still being in Afghanistan is a good example.
  • Swiffness!
    edited July 2010
    Options
    potheads dont vote.

WHY NOT, ? takes like 2 minutes and they will literally have the strongest incentive *ever* to vote this time