Why is marijuana persecuted so harshly?

Options
SnowBunnySmanger
SnowBunnySmanger Members Posts: 277 ✭✭✭
edited April 2012 in The Social Lounge
I don't understand what the reason for this is. Authorities and politicians never give their reasoning behind marijuana being so illegal.

Is this just the trickle down from those who monopolized the paper and pulp industries banning marijuana due to ? threatening their reign over the market? Or can someone actually provide some strong arguments as to why marijuana should be illegal, and furthermore, persecuted as harshly as it is?

Comments

• Wild Self
    Wild Self Members Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Because if they made it legal, then they have to release all the damn prisoners that are locked up because of weed charges. The government know that to atone their sins, may be the death of them and the prison industrial complex. Jamel said something of this sort.
  • In Your Moms Room
    In Your Moms Room Members Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If it don't make dollar it don't make sense. That's how the gov't sees it.
  • SnowBunnySmanger
    Options
    Wild Self wrote: »
    Because if they made it legal, then they have to release all the damn prisoners that are locked up because of weed charges. The government know that to atone their sins, may be the death of them and the prison industrial complex. Jamel said something of this sort.

Wow.. I've actually never though of this
    Nice post
  • BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2012
    Options
    They don't legalize it because they don't want everyone and their dog walking around high. For the same reason they don't want everyone and their dog walking around ? . Deny it all you want, weed affects your brain.
  • SnowBunnySmanger
    Options
    They don't legalize it because they don't want everyone and their dog walking around high. For the same reason they don't want everyone and their dog walking around ? . Deny it all you want, weed affects your brain.

Alcohol and cigarettes are not prosecuted as harshly as marijuana despite being more lethal. Even though they are easily accessible, not everyone and their dog walks around ? with cigarettes
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    Wild Self wrote: »
    Because if they made it legal, then they have to release all the damn prisoners that are locked up because of weed charges.
    not if the law doesn't mandate it or you don't have the Supreme Court rule in that way (see also: current debate about Fair Sentencing Act)

• BiblicalAtheist
    Options
    If it was legal to walk around ? , you can bet your ass everyone and their dog would at least try it out for a while. Those things are more lethal, but do you know what happens when they try and take it away from the people? They flip the ? out. There is no way they are gonna give weed, cuz they know they can't take it back. Makes more money too illegal, none of it has to be accounted for on books.
  • SnowBunnySmanger
    Options
    It's illegal to be intoxicated on anything while in public. In spite of this, there are many substances that it is illegal for citizens to even possess let alone consume in private. Yet alcohol is not one of them.

and why would they need to take away marijuana?

"They believe the other reason marijuana legalization is seeing so much resistance lately is because of our military-industrial complex:
    How can an imperialistic country such as the United States possibly be effective if it's legally lit?"
  • BiblicalAtheist
    Options
    It's way easier to cover up being totally high while in public than being smashed. Weed is listed with the other psychotropic drugs because people after long periods of use did develop psychosis. Especially users of hash. Weed also has a calming affect, if their population is all calm and placid, whotf wants to support war? Puff pass man. If I'm running a nation I don't want a bunch of lazy unproductive citizens. I mean if they controlled themselves and used it as a relaxation aid to improve their life that'd be great. But this is humans we're talking about, we abuse the ? out of everything.

There is no one answer, it's persecuted for lots of reasons.
  • SnowBunnySmanger
    Options
    There could be many reasons, but what are they?

I've never heard a politician state them
  • BiblicalAtheist
    Options
    It generates more money being illegal.
    It makes people less productive.
    If they legalize it they can't ever take it back.
    It affects the human brain.
    It was at the time competition for the paper industry.
    There is no 'good thc' test, something like a breathalizer but weedalizer.

• SnowBunnySmanger
    Options
    some interesting points.

However, many things affect the brain. Not drinking enough water, or not sleeping enough affect the brain. However I can deprive myself of sleep and H2O as much as I like without worrying about getting arrested.

That last point you dropped is especiialy interesting. I never thought of that... prosecuting stoned drivers would be difficult without some sort of weedalizer..
  • Ioniz3dSPIRITZ
    Ioniz3dSPIRITZ Members Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

so does alcohol. And yet they eventually legalized that. It is time to legalize marijuana and everyone knows this.

There is no winning in the war on drugs. Just blood shed and mass incarceration.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    edited April 2012
    Options
    I don't disagree tha alcohol affects the brain and body. I personally think it's worse than weed.
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It generates more money being illegal.
    It makes people less productive.
    If they legalize it they can't ever take it back.
    It affects the human brain.
    It was at the time competition for the paper industry.

This line of reasoning is pathetic but than again, it makes sense in a govt as loony and crazy as American govt. The same govt with the highest debt in the world lol........

Food affects the human brain and is abused all the time, do we make it illegal? NO.

Food can cause diabetes, especially fatty ones. Is it illegal? NO. Marijuana, especially marijuana used to treat cancer patients and other less fortunate people, is a big plus for society in so many ways. If weed is to be illegal, fine, but why is the govt making medicinal marijuana illegal and being treated so harshly, despite it's huge money making potential and positive health benefits? The answer is simple, and that is the pharmaceutical companies and prison industrial complex needs people dependent on them. With marijuana being legalized or decriminalized, it would put them out of business and usher in new businesses. Freedom in America is a dying thing....BESIDES.........

Prescription pills are the most addictive and problem causing drugs in America right now. Why aren't they illegal? HMMMMMMMM......it's all about money. American govt has been corrupted by big money, and is as corrupt as anything else in the world right now. Blood and money, the main things American govt lives for.
  • heyslick
    heyslick Members Posts: 1,179
    Options
    Personally I don't understand all uproar about this issue - my state (Calif.) has decriminalized possession of less than ounce of marijuana.....so what's the problem? -- as long as you don't have more than that amount, its a citation (100 dollar fine or less). I just don't understand those who harp about the benefits and they never wanna look at the down side IE the affects it would have on societies younger generation,and those prone to addiction. Just what society needs another distraction while driving.....? ! We got fools texting while driving or talking on cellphones. Now lets allow them to be stoned out of their stupid little minds while driving.

I see distracted drivers every day and this country doesn't need to legalize marijuana just to please those who think its so harmless - some/most folks can be responsible ? smokers and others will abuse it regardless of its legal status & therein lies the biggest underlying reason for NOT legalizing it.
  • heyslick
    Options
    Crime
    Legalization of marijuana would not cut down on all crime, alcohol still causes family disputes, ? , robbery, reckless driving, and murder. Why would/should our/ANY society want to add MORE problems to an already drug addicted populous?...especially the younger segment.
  • KLICHE
    KLICHE Members Posts: 5,061 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

In some countries they can take swabs of saliva from driver's for example, to see if THC is present.. how accurate it is, I don't know.
  • heyslick
    Options
    Canadian teenagers are among the largest consumers of cannabis worldwide

The damaging effects of this illicit drug on young brains are worse than originally thought, according to new research by Dr. Gabriella Gobbi, a psychiatric researcher from the Research Institute of the McGill University Health Centre. The new study, published in Neurobiology of Disease, suggests that daily consumption of cannabis in teens can cause depression and anxiety, and have an irreversible long-term effect on the brain.
  • mittens_corleone
    mittens_corleone Members Posts: 72
    Options
    I think this debate is pretty ? . It's not up to the government to tell us what to drink or smoke. The role of government is to secure the rights and freedoms of individual citizens.

I also don't subscribe to the philosophy that, "Well if you make marijuana legal then everyones going to be high". People say the same thing about guns and yet look at Switzerland. Everyone in Switzerland owns a weapon yet the crime rate is virtually non-existent there.
  • Bully_Pulpit
    Bully_Pulpit Members Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    its ? not really the marijana per se, you can use ? to do so much stuff like make clothes, stationery and food. That kinda threatens big industry and they run this country so it aint happening.
  • loch121
    loch121 Members Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If weed was legal the same ppl would smoke it.stats show that places that have decriminalized weed have less youth smoking, because it's not the cool blackmarket thing there.Anybody who wants weed gets it right now.it wouldn't matter
  • loch121
    loch121 Members Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm against the legalization because it kills the streets
  • SnowBunnySmanger
    Options
    heyslick wrote: »
    Personally I don't understand all uproar about this issue - my state (Calif.) has decriminalized possession of less than ounce of marijuana.....so what's the problem? -- as long as you don't have more than that amount, its a citation (100 dollar fine or less). I just don't understand those who harp about the benefits and they never wanna look at the down side IE the affects it would have on societies younger generation,and those prone to addiction. Just what society needs another distraction while driving.....? ! We got fools texting while driving or talking on cellphones. Now lets allow them to be stoned out of their stupid little minds while driving.

I see distracted drivers every day and this country doesn't need to legalize marijuana just to please those who think its so harmless - some/most folks can be responsible ? smokers and others will abuse it regardless of its legal status & therein lies the biggest underlying reason for NOT legalizing it.

Everything has side effects and there are people who will abuse anything. If you've watched an episode of intervention you could see just a fraction of the dumb ? people allow to ruin their lives.

However, anyone who's attended some sort of academic institution knows of people who got stoned out of their tree all the time and still managed to maintain good grades, strong healthy relationships and all that other good ? . Marijuana is not guaranteed to make you a lazy hippy - just as mcdonalds isn't guaranteed to make you one of those 800 pound people who can't get out of bed cause they're so big.

Saying that people can abuse it, so it should be illegal is nonsense because people can and do abuse everything. As we speak there are people going to detox for video game/computer addiction - yet nobody is talking about that despite the fact that the average teenager male spend about 5-6 hours a day alone secluded in their room interacting with a machine to the point where they reach their 20s and have the social intelligence of a 12 year old.

Marijuana is far less dangerous than many other things that are currently legal.
  • smokelahoma
    smokelahoma Members Posts: 6,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If it don't make dollar it don't make sense. That's how the gov't sees it.

you sound like an idiot, marijuana is a billion dollar industry. playa.