Obama named ‘The First ? President’ on Newsweek magazine cover; creates controversy

Options
MorrisBX
MorrisBX Members Posts: 652 ✭✭✭
edited May 2012 in The Social Lounge
May 14 - Obama named ‘The First ? President’ on Newsweek magazine cover; creates controversy - ThatHustle.com
image.jpg

President Obama on the cover of Newsweek following his announcement in support of ? marriage.

Newsweek isn’t going to let Time win without a fight.

In the battle for most controversial cover of the week, Newsweek fired back at Time magazine’s now-infamous breastfeeding mom image by putting President Barack Obama under a rainbow halo with the tagline "The First ? President."
"Obama's earned every stripe in this haloed rainbow,” Newsweek’s editor-in-chief Tina Brown wrote on Twitter.

Last week, Obama officially announced his support for same-sex marriage, becoming the first sitting president in U.S. history to do so.
"I've just concluded that for me personally, it is important for me to go ahead and affirm that I think same-sex couples should be able to get married," Obama told ABC News.

The cover story, written by openly ? Newsweek contributor Andrew Sullivan, has yet to be released in full, but the magazine posted an excerpt on why the writer believes the president's move to support same-sex marriage was not just a political ploy.
"When you step back a little and assess the record of Obama on ? rights, you see, in fact, that this was not an aberration. It was an inevitable culmination of three years of work," Sullivan writes.

Sullivan draws comparisons between Obama's biracial upbringing and the experience of ? who grow up in heterosexual families.
"He had to discover his black identity and then reconcile it with his white family, just as ? discover their homosexual identity and then have to reconcile it with their heterosexual family,” Sullivan writes.

President Obama's announcement to support same-sex marriage came after Vice President Biden unexpectedly stated his view that ? people should be able to legally marry.
"I am absolutely comfortable with the fact that men marrying men, women marrying women, and heterosexual men and women marrying another are entitled to the same exact rights, all the civil rights, all the civil liberties," Biden said on NBC's "Meet the Press" last week.

Newsweek's Obama issue comes days after Time magazine made headlines with a cover featuring 26-year-old, Jamie Lynn Grumet, breast-feeding her 3-year-old son.

Source: NY Daily News

May 14 - Obama named ‘The First ? President’ on Newsweek magazine cover; creates controversy - ThatHustle.com

Comments

• focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2012
    Options
    President Obama just publicly expressed support for ? marriage in an ABC interview with Robin Roberts.

"I have to tell you that over the course of several years as I have talked to friends and family and neighbors when I think about members of my own staff who are in incredibly committed monogamous relationships, same-sex relationships, who are raising kids together, when I think about those soldiers or airmen or marines or sailors who are out there fighting on my behalf and yet feel constrained, even now that Don't Ask Don't Tell is gone, because they are not able to commit themselves in a marriage, at a certain point I’ve just concluded that for me personally it is important for me to go ahead and affirm that I think same sex couples should be able to get married."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvWO465qAEc
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re-elect this man. Obama is the greatest president to ever do it.
  • In Your Moms Room
    In Your Moms Room Members Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol. not quite^
  • Got iT Por Barato
    Got iT Por Barato Members Posts: 338
    Options
    This will sway alot of voters but I will take what obama says with a grain of salt
  • VIBE
    Options
    Nah, he isn't the greatest but I like Obama because he isn't afraid to say what he wants. He tip toes to test the waters and gather his thoughts based on that, then he speaks on whatever subject. He's smart too, a lot of swayed voters for him now.
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    no surprise who made this thread.
  • lordhonka2
    lordhonka2 Members Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    he fukin up

i think blacks are a little more conservative than that
  • VIBE
    Options
    no surprise who made this thread.

lol
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    VIBE wrote: »
    Re-elect this man. Obama is the greatest president to ever do it.

LOL not even close, but I personally believe anyone should marry who they want. Obama is trying to lure his base back to him and it just might work for some. He's gonna alienate some of his more religious supporters though, so it's a win some, lose some situation.
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2012
    Options
    Good for him. Word to Andrew Sullivan.

It was just embarrassing at this point, the whole "my position is evolving" talking point fooled literally no-one and just made him look like a ?
    lordhonka2 wrote: »
    he fukin up

Pan-African Culture is homophobic as ? , but ? ain't gonna suddenly hate on Obeezy cuz he finally co-signed ? marriage. I think its safe to say that the most unpopular Obama decision among blacks will always be Libya. Which is hilarious, because that was simply a case of smart dumb ? catchin feelings.

• kingblaze84
    Options
    Swiffness! wrote: »

It was just embarrassing at this point, the whole "my position is evolving" talking point fooled literally no-one and just made him look like a ?
    he fukin up

Pan-African Culture is homophobic as ? , but ? ain't gonna suddenly hate on Obeezy cuz he finally co-signed ? marriage. I think its safe to say that the most unpopular Obama decision among blacks will always be Libya. Which is hilarious, because that was simply a case of smart dumb ? catchin feelings.

I agree for the most part, I don't think the Black community is suddenly going to abandon him, although most Blacks polled are opposed to ? marriage. Regardless, most Black people in America are not religious at all, and religion is the main reason so many in America and the world hate ? marriage. Because of this, Obama will still carry the Black vote. He'll suffer some backlash though for sure.

As far as Libya is concerned, it was still a very stupid decision for Obama to bomb Libya. It was a waste of money and it strengthened Al Qaeda and other "terrorist" groups that Obama claims to fight against. America is bankrupt beyond belief, wasting billions for a campaign that didn't do much to help America's image worldwide was ? dumb as hell.
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    atlanta got his back
  • _Jay_
    _Jay_ Members, Administrators Posts: 3,689 My Name Is My Name.
    Options
    Political gamble, but it was time someone took it on...he voiced his support, but will let the States make their own, final decisions.
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Swiffness! wrote: »

he fukin up

the average ? cant even find libya on the map bruh. you think he/she gives a ? ?
  • Matt-
    Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    well, at least taking a stand is better than going on for four years of having an "evolving" opinion. its funny tho that he was gonna try to make a big deal about it at the DNC, but Biden backed him into a corner and he had to speak on it sooner than he wanted to.
  • VIBE
    Options
    LOL

Wonder what the dinners like,

"So, uh, Joe, uh, we agreed we would... wait to speak about...? marriage"
  • damnkp
    damnkp Members Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? lost my vote with this ?
  • caddo man
    caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    MR.CJ wrote: »
    San Francisco got his back

fixed for historical accuracy!
    VIBE wrote: »
    LOL

Wonder what the dinners like,

"So, uh, Joe, uh, we agreed we would... wait to speak about...? marriage"

I know right I betcha he called him like "WTF are you doing?"

But if you surprised by this, You been living under a rock!
  • Soloman_The_Wise
    Soloman_The_Wise Members Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Obama ? up again, the Monogamous comment almost seems like a swipe at Romney. If he really wanted to ? up the status quo and gain support from different bases cosign Polygamous marriage, the Mormons, the Islamic world and pimps everywhere would have to give him new looks. The ? vote was already his all this is meant to do is distract from real issues like the passage of HR347...
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    Because of this, Obama will still carry the Black vote. He'll suffer some backlash though for sure.
    what could MAYBE hurt him is if it contributes to people not being motivated to vote and thus hurting turnout, but beyond that, most people angry about this weren't going to vote for him anyway.
    Political gamble, but it was time someone took it on...he voiced his support, but will let the States make their own, final decisions.
    on the other hand, saying it like this is sort of a cop-out, especially if he doesn't have a consistently federalist attitude towards other issues (say, medical marijuana)

but taking a stand is something, to be sure
  • Soloman_The_Wise
    Options
    Obama ? up again, the Monogamous comment almost seems like a swipe at Romney. If he really wanted to ? up the status quo and gain support from different bases cosign Polygamous marriage, the Mormons, the Islamic world and pimps everywhere would have to give him new looks. The ? vote was already his all this is meant to do is distract from real issues like the passage of HR347...
    only ? 's feelings were hurt by this post any one who wants to have a harem without having to worry about the haters who can only knock a single person ? with their lives. Pack of Wolves, Pride of Lions, Sultans Harem, Mormons Sister wives, Macks Team, etc... >>>>>> tooty fruity in the booties wanting to wed so they can get ? in the divorce later and further curb population growth...

• tab58064
    tab58064 Members Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭
    Options
    This will sway alot of voters but I will take what obama says with a grain of salt
    I think it will sway a lot of black religious votes away from Obama. I honestly don't know how to feel about him coming out with this. Why doesn't he just favor rights for ANY adult who wants to marry ANYONE as long as they are of sound mind??? What I'm getting at is this, how can you exclude other groups of people who may want to marry someone that the majority of society turns their noses up to such as a sister & brother who may want to marry (rare I know but there are relationships amongst siblings or close relatives that go beyond what's normal) or men or women who would like to have more that one husband or wife??? I'm just saying we have people out here who go on and on about equal rights, civil rights, etc. but in the case of marriage if the door is going to be opened up for ? people to marry because of love shouldn't Obama be just as supportive for the rights of any other couple who wants to get married???
  • kingblaze84
    Options
    tab58064 wrote: »
    I think it will sway a lot of black religious votes away from Obama. I honestly don't know how to feel about him coming out with this. Why doesn't he just favor rights for ANY adult who wants to marry ANYONE as long as they are of sound mind??? What I'm getting at is this, how can you exclude other groups of people who may want to marry someone that the majority of society turns their noses up to such as a sister & brother who may want to marry (rare I know but there are relationships amongst siblings or close relatives that go beyond what's normal) or men or women who would like to have more that one husband or wife??? I'm just saying we have people out here who go on and on about equal rights, civil rights, etc. but in the case of marriage if the door is going to be opened up for ? people to marry because of love shouldn't Obama be just as supportive for the rights of any other couple who wants to get married???

Good point....polygamy should be legal if we allow ? marriage.
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    tyler perry got his back
  • Soloman_The_Wise
    edited May 2012
    Options
    Nicki Minaj, Lil B, Lady Gaga, Jay Z, Puffy, Queen Latifah and Dr. Dre all are orgnaizing a fundraiser now in support...