Racism in hollywood.She´s black in the book but they made her white in the movie.Hunger games.

Options

Comments

• harry knucklez
    harry knucklez Members Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Halle Barry played as Catwoman, but she didn't play it as Selina Kyle tho. They gave her an original identity and origin. Same with Eartha Kitt when she played as Catwoman in the old Batman series, they never said what her real name was.
  • 2nd chances
    2nd chances Members Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    well ummm

what about times when the character was percieved as white but they casted black actors/actresses to play them...is that racism too?

oh my ? ..these white ppl
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    Options
    tbh, im ? that catwoman in the new batman movie is Ann Hathaway. I should be a black woman. but Halle Berry ? it up for all new coming black women for that role. :(
    to be fair catwoman was portrayed as both black & white in the comics. at least she was black in batman: year one. idk about any others. but ertha kit played catwoman too. i'd say the ? is about even (by hollywood standards).
  • angrymaninc
    angrymaninc Members Posts: 657 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Halle Barry played as Catwoman, but she didn't play it as Selina Kyle tho. They gave her an original identity and origin. Same with Eartha Kitt when she played as Catwoman in the old Batman series, they never said what her real name was.

Exactly... Selina Kyle has always been white though... therefore i don't see why ppl feel catwoman in the upcoming batman flick should be black *shrugs*
  • harry knucklez
    harry knucklez Members Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Exactly... Selina Kyle has always been white though... therefore i don't see why ppl feel catwoman in the upcoming batman flick should be black *shrugs*

What people feel that Catwoman should be black in the new Batman movie? Cause I think Charlie_danger was being sarcastic (I think). Besides that, nobody's complainin about Catwoman being white in the new Batman. I think she should be white just like she is the comics.
  • deadeye
    deadeye Members Posts: 22,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNxb28j5C1w
    What kind of ? is that.The main character is a black girl.Her mom is white but her pops was black.Her sis is also black and the rest of the cast well who gives a ? .But her town is suppost to be mostly black and they made the whole movie white!!!How the ? did this get by?

I heard something about the little girl Rue being black in the book and white people getting mad because they thought she was supposed to be white, but I never heard anything about the main character being black.

• angrymaninc
    angrymaninc Members Posts: 657 ✭✭✭
    Options

What people feel that Catwoman should be black in the new Batman movie? Cause I think Charlie_danger was being sarcastic (I think). Besides that, nobody's complainin about Catwoman being white in the new Batman. I think she should be white just like she is the comics.

Then i guess i must have missed the sarcasm... but then again she could have been serious, which she's entitled to her opinion, i just don't get it...
  • Cabana_Da_Don
    Cabana_Da_Don Members Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Will Munny wrote: »
    She's a good actress so I don't really give a ? .

Man it's not about black or white it's about black not being GOOD in hollywoods eyes b.If they made Biggie white would that make any sense.? there's like 100's of good white actors out there that could have played biggie.

Biggie is a poor example in the point you were trying to make :(

Biggie movie was considered a biopic. Hence, they would try to find someone similar in looks, characteristics, and voice pattern to be like Biggie.

Now, we are talking about characters in a book, where casting has an ability to change the characters look and etc.

tbh, im ? that catwoman in the new batman movie is Ann Hathaway. I should be a black woman. but Halle Berry ? it up for all new coming black women for that role. :(

Wtf is you talking about you didn´t even read the book obviously and they can´t say she was black because they are not in our reality.Black and white don´t exist.Just dark and light.
  • Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ayo i remember the white outrage over Rue being black... I didn't read the books so I had no idea the main chick was supposed to b black as well... and ? that mixed ? ... the one drop rule is still in full effect ? ...
  • atribecalledgabi
    Options
    Stopitfive wrote: »
    ayo i remember the white outrage over Rue being black... I didn't read the books so I had no idea the main chick was supposed to b black as well... and ? that mixed ? ... the one drop rule is still in full effect ? ...
    she's supposed to be olive skinned....mediterranean looking.
  • Meta_Conscious
    Options

ayo... "But, I know this so I point at Q-Tip and he states, "black is black""... Pos
  • Cabana_Da_Don
    Options

The book is not based on our reality it´s based on there reality.So It´s shades of colour not cultural references.interior-design-olive-green-sycamore-maple.jpg
    This is olive colour.So what does that look like.It looks darker than me and I´m black mu~? .
  • Dr.Chemix
    Dr.Chemix Members Posts: 11,816 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    But isn't this thread 100 years late in the making doe?

The book is not based on our reality it´s based on there reality.So It´s shades of colour not cultural references.interior-design-olive-green-sycamore-maple.jpg
    This is olive colour.So what does that look like.It looks darker than me and I´m black mu~? .

yea mediterranean peeps yo...

I thought maphukas said you so dark, you look blue not green. *shrugs*

Am I inb4 Dragon Ball Z mention?
  • atribecalledgabi
    Options
    that's what it said in the book ? !

olive skinned is what they call mediterranean or 'colored' latino people. no ? has ever been called olive skinned.
  • Meta_Conscious
    Options

olive skinned is what they call mediterranean or 'colored' latino people. no ? has ever been called olive skinned.

now you're being willfully ignorant to prove your point... lol@no ? ever being called olive skinned...
    ? now...
  • Cabana_Da_Don
    Options

Real talk pay attention....THEY CANNOT SAY BLACK....BECAUSE IN HER REALITY YELLOW TO DARK BROWN IS BLACK.OLIVE IS CONSIDERATE BLACK IN THAT BOOKS REALITY....WE CALL OURSELVES BLACK BECAUSE IN OUR REALITY ANYTHING FROM YELLOW TO DARK BROWN IS BLACK.WHY CAN´T YOU UNDERSTAND THAT.IN THE BOOK IT MENTIONS THAT HER DAD WAS DARK AND HER MOTHER WAS LIGHT LIKE PORCELAIN OR SOME ? .THE BOOK MADE IT CLEAR THAT SHE´S MIXED BUT OLIVE.LOOK UP WHAT OLIVE LOOKS LIKE...YOU GOTTA LOOK IN HER PERSPECTIVE.PLUS HER WORLD IS LIKE 100 YEARS AFTER OURS THE CONCEPT OF WHITE AND BLACK IS ALMOST GONE.BUT THE RICH PEOPLE ARE LIGHT OF COLOR MAKING IT SURE THAT YOU KNOW THAT THERE´S A DIFFERENCE RACIALLY AND ECONOMICALLY.
  • Dr.Chemix
    Options
    C'mon yo, ? has been called olive skinned now or said to have an olive complexion?

? are just ? dumb...ctrl alt del and restart
  • atribecalledgabi
    Options
    so olive skin ain't fairer skinned now?
  • Cabana_Da_Don
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Dr.Chemix wrote: »
    C'mon yo, ? has been called olive skinned now or said to have an olive complexion?

Brother put the fact that you don´t like me in a box and see it from my angle.Check it out.Her world is not ours.The author is describing her skin color literally...for example rp-pl-olv1.JPG

It has nothing to do with arabs or latin people.By the way we don´t even know if arabs exist in her time frame or in her reality or if latinos exist.All we know is her color and we have to compare to other colors mentioned in the book.Her friend and her dad that helped her learn how to hunt are also dark.They clearly say her town is mostly dark people and the rich people are light...like white light.? read the book people and stop going off your own opinion and other herbs online.Plus it makes mention that her hair is not like her mothers that is light.She puts her hair in braids etc.Mad references.
  • atribecalledgabi
    edited June 2012
    Options
    bruh....... this
    rp-pl-olv1.JPG

is not this
    skin1.jpg
    It has nothing to do with arabs or latin people.By the way we don´t even know if arabs exist in her time frame or in her reality or if latinos exist.All we know is her color and we have to compare to other colors mentioned in the book.Her friend and her dad that helped her learn how to hunt are also dark.They clearly say her town is mostly dark people and the rich people are light...like white light.? read the book people and stop going off your own opinion and other herbs online.Plus it makes mention that her hair is not like her mothers that is light.She puts her hair in braids etc.Mad references.

didn't you say you didn't read the book??? only only 2 people are clearly stated as being black. rue & that dude lenny kravitz played. the other dude from her district she ended up winning with had blonde hair. what black people have blonde hair? if they wanted somebody a lil darker or maybe a mixed black person to play katniss i would see the point. but her being full black is a stretch.

& mediterranean was the term used in the book. not by me.
  • Dr.Chemix
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Dr.Chemix wrote: »

Brother put the fact that you don´t like me in a box and see it from my angle.Check it out.Her world is not ours.The author is describing her skin color literally...for example rp-pl-olv1.JPG

I overstand...but generally I haven't heard of black folks being associated with olive green as another shade of our people.

For real, not all dark folks are black for real...mind you, I got this northern italian mami...she brown as ? , you would think she black but she italian straight up and down

*shrugs*

carry on

and for the record...the ctrl alt del post wasn't even aiming at your direction
  • Cabana_Da_Don
    Options
    @Dr.Chemix I didn´t make it clear that the story is in the future and that the dark people live in the ? up areas.There´s couple light skin people in her town but they all have government jobs.The people in the rich towns are mostly white.The people in district 1 the richest district are basically all light.So it´s not that hard to understand that they saying she´s black.That olive color ? is just not to say she´s black for sure and make racial tension and it´s good for the imagination.Plus as an author I salute her for making the olive reference and going over ya heads and making us fight over this.No diss to whoever did not read the book but for ya herb ass ? that read it and say she´s latin or arab like...Ya should jump off a building.If the author pops up and say she´s arab I would call ? on that ? cause she went hollywood.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfAEgUKUIzc&feature=player_embedded
  • Ioniz3dSPIRITZ
    Ioniz3dSPIRITZ Members Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Why should we expect white producers and directors to cater to a small black audience? Their primary audience is white and that is who they'll cater to.
  • Meta_Conscious
    Options
    Why should we expect white producers and directors to cater to a small black audience? Their primary audience is white and that is who they'll cater to.

I think one point is that white audiences shouldn't be so ? racist...