Is this the future of America? City of Scranton lowers wage for all city workers to minimum wage

Options

Comments

• kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Obama is a figurehead the gameplan for the last 12 years has been the same. No matter who's president the gameplan will continue.

Not true, the president actually has a lot of power. The American presidency is often called the most powerful job in the world. This is recognized by most nations around the world, although there are certainly limitations to the power, as we see in how many nations around the world hate America (with good reason).
  • kingblaze84
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Meanwhile, we're still spending billions in Afghanistan per week, with two more American troops being killed by their Afghan "partners" today lol. This country is run by ? idiots, from the White House on down.

• heyslick
    heyslick Members Posts: 1,179
    Options
    Meanwhile, we're still spending billions in Afghanistan per week, with two more American troops being killed by their Afghan "partners" today lol. This country is run by ? idiots, from the White House on down.

I CAN'T BELIEVE you're actually saying that - just image how much of our tax dollars are being ripped off by the Afghan government while the so-called good afghan forces are killing our soldiers - USING our revenue - WOW! so basically were paying them to ? our own people.....WTF? MAN-O-MAN! that is plain disgusting - the American lives lost for nothing and no gratitude whatsoever from those sorry ? .

• MC The Rapper
    MC The Rapper Members Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Obama is a figurehead the gameplan for the last 12 years has been the same. No matter who's president the gameplan will continue.

Not true, the president actually has a lot of power. The American presidency is often called the most powerful job in the world. This is recognized by most nations around the world, although there are certainly limitations to the power, as we see in how many nations around the world hate America (with good reason).

hahah word carry on sir .
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I think @MC was keeping to the constitutional powers endowed to the president. If sticking strictly to the constitution then Congress is the most powerful branch of government...in fact it still is.

The Pres shouldn't be writing law (meaning executive orders are unconstitutional), his job is to ENFORCE the law (which he always picks and chooses which laws to enforce and when).
  • Thinking
    Thinking Members Posts: 70
    edited August 2012
    Options
    janklow wrote: »
    it may be worth noting that saying "doing a great job" and "doing the best job he can, all things considered" are different things

Agreed.

Semantics?
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    edited August 2012
    Options
    The news gets worse for American cities.....the crime ridden city of Camden is now....get this....going to get rid of its POLICE DEPARTMENT. Yes you have heard right.....
    this ? is going to be like the ? Road Warrior set on the East Coast. if anyone's got some dune buggies and wants to start a band of outlaw mutants stealing gasoline from the weak in Camden, i think we all know i have a shitload of guns
    a lot of that has to do with the overall power of the US as opposed to the specific power of the US president
    Thinking wrote: »
    Agreed.
    Semantics?
    i would say no on the grounds that circumstances could prevent you from doing a universally-agreed "great job," but never "the best you can, all things considered." HOWEVER, i concede you could argue otherwise on this point
  • kingblaze84
    Options
    heyslick wrote: »

I CAN'T BELIEVE you're actually saying that - just image how much of our tax dollars are being ripped off by the Afghan government while the so-called good afghan forces are killing our soldiers - USING our revenue - WOW! so basically were paying them to ? our own people.....WTF? MAN-O-MAN! that is plain disgusting - the American lives lost for nothing and no gratitude whatsoever from those sorry ? .

Well lookie here, something me ad Slick can agree on in this thread. YES, we need to get the hell out of Afghanistan, and yes Obama's plan is disgusting and costing way too many Americans and Afghans their lives. We're basically paying the Afghan govt to ? us and even worse, America has been caught red handed many times giving tribes sympathetic to the Taliban MONEY. All to persuade them to stop bombing our troops and be our friends. Well we can see how good that is working....sickening.....
  • kingblaze84
    edited August 2012
    Options
    The news gets worse for American cities.....the crime ridden city of Camden is now....get this....going to get rid of its POLICE DEPARTMENT. Yes you have heard right.....
    this ? is going to be like the ? Road Warrior set on the East Coast. if anyone's got some dune buggies and wants to start a band of outlaw mutants stealing gasoline from the weak in Camden, i think we all know i have a shitload of guns
    a lot of that has to do with the overall power of the US as opposed to the specific power of the US president

Lol, yeah Road Warrior or Waterworld, depending which part of the city it is......

And yeah you're right about the President having most of his power due to this nation having so much influence but that's part of my argument on why Obama can do more. Being in charge of a nation with so much influence means you will have influence too. He knows the full force of his power but his policies are just dull at this point. Most Americans support the ideas and positions I have taken in this thread, so Obama should start being creative. His policies aren't exciting or inspiring anymore. It's hard to be excited about an election like this when both sides are basically fighting over who is worst.
  • Thinking
    Options
    i would say no on the grounds that circumstances could prevent you from doing a universally-agreed "great job," but never "the best you can, all things considered." HOWEVER, i concede you could argue otherwise on this point

?
  • kingblaze84
    Options
    Random thought, I love Waterworld
  • janklow
    Options
    Lol, yeah Road Warrior or Waterworld, depending which part of the city it is......
    can't drive dune buggies on the water part
    ?
    my mistake: i thought you were being flippant and congenial, but it turns out you were being a ? . lesson learned!
    where is that damn LOL button
  • Thinking
    Options
    my mistake: i thought you were being flippant and congenial, but it turns out you were being a ? . lesson learned!

Cool. Don't let it happen again.

• Thinking
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Damn double post.

• kingblaze84
    Options
    jono wrote: »

I think @MC was keeping to the constitutional powers endowed to the president. If sticking strictly to the constitution then Congress is the most powerful branch of government...in fact it still is.

The Pres shouldn't be writing law (meaning executive orders are unconstitutional), his job is to ENFORCE the law (which he always picks and chooses which laws to enforce and when).

Yes this I understand. But still though, the president has power that is supreme when it comes to the military, that by itself means Obama has more power than Congress (physical power by means of federal troops). By law yes Congress is more powerful, but what good is a law if the President or anyone else isn't enforcing it?
  • kingblaze84
    edited August 2012
    Options
    can't drive dune buggies on the water part

where is that damn LOL button

Yeah but you can ride jetskis in Waterworld, get yourself some. It looks cooler than riding on land, or maybe I've just watched Waterworld too many times this week.

I got a thing for post apocalyptic American movies since playing Fallout 3 and New Vegas, and also watching the news......
  • janklow
    Options
    Yeah but you can ride jetskis in Waterworld, get yourself some. It looks cooler than riding on land, or maybe I've just watched Waterworld too many times this week.
    too many times THIS WEEK? that is the actual answer. plus, dune buggies seem more excellent and more reliable.
    I got a thing for post apocalyptic American movies since playing Fallout 3 and New Vegas-
    this i do recall. you might just need to spend some time outside for a change
  • kingblaze84
    edited August 2012
    Options
    too many times THIS WEEK? that is the actual answer. plus, dune buggies seem more excellent and more reliable.
    I got a thing for post apocalyptic American movies since playing Fallout 3 and New Vegas-
    this i do recall. you might just need to spend some time outside for a change

I'm outside a lot lol I just do these things when I come home from work too tired to go out, plus I haven't played Fallout in a long time, the last game is like a year old thanks for the laugh though haha

And I haven't watched Waterworld in 4 days, though I might watch it again next month
  • poindexter2
    poindexter2 Members Posts: 4,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

and we got 12 more years to "occupy" this land of savages
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yes this I understand. But still though, the president has power that is supreme when it comes to the military, that by itself means Obama has more power than Congress (physical power by means of federal troops). By law yes Congress is more powerful, but what good is a law if the President or anyone else isn't enforcing it?

Its useless, that is of course what the checks & balances in government are about.
  • kingblaze84
    Options

and we got 12 more years to "occupy" this land of savages

Yeah that's the real kicker, we're gonna be in Afghanistan until 2024, not 2014 as the President constantly lies to us about. I swear it's like Democrats and Republicans purposely want to ruin the nation just so themselves and their personal interests stay and get richer.

What do you think about Bernanke publicly speaking about QE4? today? I don't think it's a good idea to spend another trillion dollars we don't have when we already have 16 trillion in debt. But even more worrying than that is that QE 1 2 and 3 didn't go as planned either. And each of those also went for trillions of dollars, I wonder why the Fed hasn't been audited yet.....
  • kingblaze84
    Options

Its useless, that is of course what the checks & balances in government are about.

Pretty much, exactly why I feel Obama should make some attempt to legalize medical marijuana (or at least stop enforcing the damn law persecuting it) and end the damn war in Afghanistan already. Most voters support these things by now.....
  • kingblaze84
    edited September 2012
    Options
    I saw a report on the news today on just how bad the debt is for states and cities nationwide. Did you know Alabama has 60 billion dollars in debt? California has 617 billion in debt. The states overall have about 4 trillion in overall debt. State worker pensions make up most of the states' debts, a troubling sign for future state workers in the future. We should expect that pensions and salaries for state workers in the future will go down, with layoffs to come.

http://www.bizjournals.com/birmingham/news/2012/08/29/alabamas-debt-tops-60-billion.html

Alabama's state debt totals more than $60 billion, according to a new report from State Budget Solutions.

Pensions account for $43.5 billion, or nearly 72 percent, of Alabama's debt, with other post-employment benefits accounting for nearly $15 billion.Those figures were in line with national trends.

The combined debt total for all states was nearly $4.2 trillion. Alabama had the 23rd highest debt total.

Market-valued unfunded public pension liabilities make up more than half of all state debt, accounting for $2.8 trillion of the total. These market-valued pension liabilities provide a realistic view of the money owed to public pension systems as a result of years of skipped payments, borrowed funds, and inaccurate discount rate assumptions.

In comparison to market-valued liabilities, traditionally calculated unfunded pension liabilities hide the true enormity of state debt obligations. Unfunded liability figures from the Pew Center on the States rely on much of the same data that states use to continually underfund their pension systems. While market-valued liabilities total $2.8 trillion, the latest traditionally calculated figures total only $760 billion in unfunded pension liabilities. Total state debt using these figures is still over $2 trillion, but a comprehensive view of state debt without accurately assessed public pension liabilities disguises the problem to the tune of as much as $2.1 trillion.

States and other sources have not yet released market value pension liability figures for fiscal year 2011.
    Therefore, this year's report uses the same market-valued pension liability figures first published in 2010 and used in the previous year's report. Even so, growth in traditionally calculated unfunded pension liability totals indicates that were updated numbers available, aggregate state debt would have continued to increase.

Read more: http://www.statebudgetsolutions.org/publications/detail/state-budget-solutions-third-annual-state-debt-report-shows-total-state-debt-over-4-trillion#ixzz25I0Y3SxN

• Thinking
    Options
    You posters who buy these fabricated news stories are simpletons B. Gather a wide sample of resources and formulate your own independent thought. Why buy all of this fear mongering propaganda?

? 's disgustin B.
  • kingblaze84
    edited September 2012
    Options
    You posters who buy these fabricated news stories are simpletons B. Gather a wide sample of resources and formulate your own independent thought. Why buy all of this fear mongering propaganda?

? 's disgustin B.

What part of the news story was fabricated? Do you have sources proving states don't owe 4.2 trillion in debt?