Have you ever tried to invent something?

Options
LUClEN
LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2012 in The Social Lounge
I've been reading a little bit into Spain's economic issue. A couple weeks ago they had received massive loans expected to keep their economy afloat for a few weeks. It did not even last a day before ? went to hell again. Many experts on the crisis say that Spain (among others, like Greece and Portugal) had been given economic luxuries that were not earned and undeserved. They were not producing enough goods for them to be granted such wealth, and thus much of what they experienced was borrowed.

One of the countries expected to bail the Spanish out is Germany. Germany has consistently proven itself to be a nation full of ingenious citizens and a very productive country.

This has lead me to question why the average person does not attempt to invent things though. It seems as though North Americans are so caught up in consumerism that the average person has no ambition to create their own products or contribute something. The school systems are designed to create complacent workers, not free thinking producers, inventors and problem solvers.

Basically what I want to know is if anyone on here has ever tried to invent something and patent it, or if they have not ever done so why they have not.

I have a few ideas for inventions. I have no idea how to go about constructing them though as I have no access to industrial resources.

I would think that if individuals in North America were producing more goods (capable of being sold and competing in a global market) instead of expecting to take orders their entire lives that the money troubles we are facing would not be so bad. China is enjoying a brilliant economic growth right now and that is largely all they do: produce goods.