Current NFL players that could be GOAT at their position?

Options
KINGOFDAARCADE
KINGOFDAARCADE Members Posts: 4,379 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2012 in From the Cheap Seats
QB - Cam Newton - Could be the GOAT QB if he stays healthy and they get him more weapons. As ? as he is, his talent in unreal. His potential ceiling is an even better version of Aaron Rogers. Its scary to think that last year he was just a rookie and will still improve his accuracy and football IQ. The only downfall is QB's who run are more prone to injury and tend to wear down as the season goes on.

QB - Tom Brady - That 4th ring eludes him, but 1 more SuperBowl victory and he'll be cemented as 1a or 1b with Joe Montana. He might break the all time record for playoff wins by QB this year. He's already solidified himself as "one of the best ever" but if he wins another SB he might go down as THE best ever. Still has about 3 to 4 years left in him... but he needs that 4th ring.

DE - Jason Pierre Paul - Has potential to be the best DE ever. Size, speed, personality, work ethic, etc. Unstoppable force that has everything needed to be the GOAT DE.

OLB/DE - DeMarcus Ware - The Gold Standard for 34 OLB's right now. He might already be the best 34 OLB ever. I think he's the only player to ever have 2 seasons with 20+ sacks. Ware has a shot to break Bruce Smiths All-time Sack record if he has enough longevity.

CB - Darelle Revis - Deion changed the way CB was played and had a lot of personality, but Revis might be the better all around Corner..... and I'm saying that as a Pats fan.

TE - Rob Gronkowski - His last season was statistically the best season by a Tight End ever. Huge target in the red zone and pulls in a lot of TD's. Breaks tackles and is also a great blocker (unlike Jimmy Graham). With his smash mouth style of play and injury history(back and ankle), the only concern is staying healthy. Broke Tight End records for touchdowns and yards last season. Was also the first Tight End to lead the league in Touchdowns.

WR - Megatron - It will be very very very hard for anyone to be the GOAT WR over Jerry Rice. Megatron will need longevity, rings, and stats. But he has as good a chance as any WR. Has a more realistic shot at besting Randy Moss and Terrell Owens for that #2 WR of all time.

FS - Ed Reed - already considered GOAT at the position.

MLB - Rey Lewis - already considered GOAT at the position.

Close, but will never be GOAT:

RB - Adrian Peterson - womp womp womp.... sorry AP. He had the potential when he first came in the league.... but he's already tapered off... and coming off a gruesome knee injury I don't he'll ever be able to reach GOAT status now. He's in a bad situation too, surrounded by a ? supporting cast that lets teams put 8 in the box.

QB - Peyton Manning - He doesn't have enough rings or playoff success. And I don't see him winning rings in Denver. When its all said and done, he might not even be remembered as the best Manning. Peyton is a Top 5 QB of all time but his window of opportunity to be THE #1 QB of all time has come and gone. Missing last season doesn't help, and there will be an adjustment period which will take him a while to get back to himself this season too. Great regular season QB, but you can't be the GOAT with just 1 ring.

WR - Randy Moss - Would've had a chance at surpassing Jerry Rice if he kept his head on straight. Lost years in Oakland and semi-retirement hurt his stats. Attitude and effort issues also hurt his stats and reputation. Will always be that guy who was "great but could've been even better". Didn't have much post-season success either and never got a Ring. As of now he's probably the #2 WR of all time, but even if he has a great season in San Fran there's no way he'll ever be the GOAT WR.

Discuss and add your own.......

Comments

• coop9889
    coop9889 Members Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2012
    Options
    I don't think there will ever be a RB considered on the levels of Payton/Sanders etc... because the league is definitely transforming into a passing league. RBs now are basically shifting over to catching passes 1/4 of the time.

As far as Qb, its definitely arguable Brady would be the GOAT with one more SB victory, which is very possible this season.

WR? Megatron more than anyone but like you said, longevity is necessary to even come close to Rice's records.

TE? Ehhh... the position is definitely changing a bit as more athletic players are converted into the position. It's too early to say anybody right now, besides Gonzales who might already be GOAT.

Idagf about defensive players.

• KINGOFDAARCADE
    edited July 2012
    Options
    coop9889 wrote: »
    I don't think there will ever be a RB considered on the levels of Payton/Sanders etc... because the league is definitely transforming into a passing league. RBs now are basically shifting over to catching passes 1/4 of the time.

As far as Qb, its definitely arguable Brady would be the GOAT with one more SB victory, which is very possible this season.

WR? Megatron more than anyone but like you said, longevity is necessary to even come close to Rice's records.

TE? Ehhh... the position is definitely changing a bit as more athletic players are converted into the position. It's too early to say anybody right now, besides Gonzales who might already be GOAT.

Idagf about defensive players.

Gronkowski's 2011 season already crushed ANY season Gonzalez has ever had. Gronks 2011 rivals some of the best Wide Receivers years (17 TD's, 1300+ yards). Gonzalez has NEVER won a playoff game, and Gronk is a much better blocker too.

Gronk is only 23 years old btw. Gonzalez has had a long productive career, but Gronkowski is just on another level. If he stays healthy he will easily surpass Gonzalez.

• Olorun22
    Olorun22 Members Posts: 5,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol @ Tom brady, Clavin, Gron and Revis
  • KINGOFDAARCADE
    edited July 2012
    Options
    En-Fuego22 wrote: »
    Lol @ Tom brady, Clavin, Gron and Revis

LOL@you knowing nothing about Football. Brady, Gronk, and Revis all have realistic shots at being known as the GOAT at their position. Megatron has a tougher time since Jerry Rice has so many rings and longevity.

BTW I forgot about Special Teams.

Adam Viniateri might go down as the GOAT Kicker.... Pats won 2 Superbowls in the last minute off his kicks. The kick he made in the playoff game vs. the Raiders is legendary. He also won a ring with the Colts. His clutchness will get him in the HOF.

Devin Hester GOAT Kick Returner.

• Say What
    Say What Members Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Aaron Rogers
    Patrick Willis
  • vageneral08
    vageneral08 Members Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    smh homer ass post
  • greenwood1921
    greenwood1921 Members Posts: 47,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2012
    Options
    lol @ thinking all the possible "goats" play in the same era. Even if you live to be 80 you only gonna see maybe 5 GOATS (in different positions) period. All sports combined.
  • dbrazil412
    dbrazil412 Members Posts: 9,410 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lol @ thinking all the possible "goats" play in the same era. Even if you live to be 80 you only gonna see maybe 5 GOATS (in different positions) period. All sports combined.

you just mad aint gonna be no GOAT falcons. lol but you do make alotta sense though
  • greenwood1921
    Options
    dbrazil412 wrote: »

you just mad aint gonna be no GOAT falcons. lol but you do make alotta sense though

0.jpg

You're welcome.
  • Matt-
    Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Brees, manning, Brady, Rodgers. Qbs are killing it. Records broken. All of those guys will go down in history.
  • DillaDeaf
    DillaDeaf Members Posts: 4,802 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Payton will probably be, Brady -- he great, but Payton is the ultimate QB. No knock on Cam, he has a chance to prove himself to get up there.

Megatron, Larry Fitz, Andre from Da U, goes to show WR are always deep, and WR list are probably one of the most fluid in changing for all time lists (for WRs)...but that the same reason why WRs been knocked around lately not getting into the Hall ......just look at Monk and Andre Reed....

RBs ................ I can't see none right at the moment, cause the key is durability ...very few have that...maybe the last GOAT everybody can agree on is my boy Barry Sanders of the Lions.

DEs --- if Mario Williams keep playing like the #1 pick he is over the course of his career, he could be in that select group of DEs.

TEs --- I'm always love Tony G. as a player, dude was the original prototype for the TEs we see today. And yes to KOP -- Gronk has a chance to pass him, Gates possibly as well...Gates still got a few good years left in him.

Actually there are already GOAT Falcons...remember Brett and Deion started with the Falcons...? , especially Deion, that how most of us old school fans really remember him ..not the Cowboys/49ers version .....the Falcons version with Buchanon and Mathis ....that squad was fun as hell to watch personality wise (and I'm a Lions fan).

Just my two cents
  • greenwood1921
    Options

Brett Favre never started for the Falcons. In fact, he never even completed a pass for us... At least not to a Falcon player.

His Falcon stats...

4 Attempts

0 Completions

2 Interceptions

0.0 QB rating

• Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    How the ? had AD already tapered off? Only thing holding him back now is the knee injury.
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Pat Willis could be a GOAT. Dat boy a monster.
  • texasdaking88
    texasdaking88 Members Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nhata has GOAT potential @ DT..even technically he's an End..
  • dbrazil412
    dbrazil412 Members Posts: 9,410 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    dbrazil412 wrote: »

0.jpg

You're welcome.

the ? said CURRENT
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Graham > Gronk
  • KINGOFDAARCADE
    Options

DEs --- if Mario Williams keep playing like the #1 pick he is over the course of his career, he could be in that select group of DEs.

Mario is Highly Overrated. He's a poor mans Julius Peppers.... which is still pretty good. But no where remotely close to GOAT status.

Won't even be a Top 5 DE of all time when its all said and done.
  • KINGOFDAARCADE
    Options
    Shizlansky wrote: »
    Graham > Gronk

Gronk had way better Receiving numbers than Graham, and Gronk is a wayyyyy better blocker. Graham is a glorified WR playing TE. Graham can't block for ? , and Gronk is a way better red zone threat.

Look what Gronk did to the DPOY in the playoffs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATNd01-hlxE
  • KINGOFDAARCADE
    Options
    Nhata has GOAT potential @ DT..even technically he's an End..

Ngata could go down as the GOAT 34 DE.

34 DE's have much different roles than 43 DE's..... Right now young Richard Seymour is what 34 DE's are compared to, but a couple more seasons and Ngata might pass him.

Suh is a monster but needs to keep his head on straight and improve his Run Defense.
  • evoljeanyes
    evoljeanyes Members Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ed Reed goat defensive back!
    Patrick Willis will be a top 10 linebacker minimum
    Tom Brady is the ? quarterback (Cam could surpass with his tools)

Graham Cook and Gronk got that TE position solid for the next 10years.

Threadstarter did well! Revis is wild overrated though. He always has safety help.
  • texasdaking88
    texasdaking88 Members Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If Vernon Davis played on a passing team, he would be the GOAT tightend.. he's an underrated blocker and noone is seeing him skillwise
  • DaBull
    DaBull Members Posts: 9,261 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    comes in thread, sees both my Ravens get that proper respect, leaves with a smile
  • DillaDeaf
    DillaDeaf Members Posts: 4,802 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @Greenwood-- I meant they "started" their career with the Falcons (not worrying about if they were starters or not)

@KOP -- relook at my post , I said "select group of DE" ...by that I meant elite not GOAT. Julius is a freak, his skills are better than any DE in the game, and I see him twice a year now against my Lions.

Suh got the potential if he keeps his head straight to be one of the all-time DTs ..but I'm not ready to make that leap to call him potential one of the GOATs DTs yet...

Ray Ray speaks for himself...no argument there....same with Ed Reed.
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Projecting for guys like Rodgers, Willis, Calvin Johnson, (Jason Pierre Paul-wtf) etc is just plain silly

A better topic would be GOATs/All-timers who are still playing- Ray, Ed, Brady, Manning...thats basically it.