(((((( ^^^^ The OFFICIAL DIRTEE BIRDZ 2012 Thread ^^^^ ))))))

Options
greenwood1921
greenwood1921 Members Posts: 47,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2012 in From the Cheap Seats
Training camp bout to start. First preseason game in two weeks. So I'll let the chief Falcon fan tell it....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcdWrChtts8
falconsbg.png

Predicted 10-12 wins last year, 11+ this year.

- Top 10 offense last year (with a lame O. Coordinator) At least higher in the top 10 this year.

- #12 Ranked Defense (with a lame D. Coordinator) At least top 10 this year.

Biggest Offseason acquisition:

BAD.jpgimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcQEoa37bTwAnbjpuCXyUEsxA3OaoxKfL1956ZWYARZW5op8yHWKXg

Asante >>>> Chris Owens. Nuff said.

BREAKOUT PLAYER:

DEFENSE:

ABe-v.-vick.jpg134175876_extra_large.jpg

Breakout year was actually last year, but the ? slept. Spoon whipped it up last year, he cooking this year.

OFFENSE:

falcons-wp-39-sm.jpg

And now the 2.0 version is more aerodynamic...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQI_1d0ADw4WkBArWpBPm9keyCAPISK9e8cyhrkbv16eMj9yzu9

And just to make the haters mad....

g134327601620249017.jpg

...And he's only getting better...

Last year's stats:

*4,177 yards, *29 TDS, 12 Ints, *92.2 qb rating
(*career highs)

Speaking on behalf of the CS delegation of D-Block...

falcons_riseup.png

Comments

• greenwood1921
    Options
    BEST ROOKIE:

Gotta go with 2nd round pick Peter Konz Got a 1st round grade by 20 teams, so to get him @ 55 was a steal. We need all the push up front we can get, and Wisconsin never fails to deliver with the Big Uglies...

peter-konz.jpg

X-FACTOR:

Snellz:
    Jabari+Greer+Jason+Snelling+Atlanta+Falcons+GoQYw626IZhl.jpg

...And anybody else Matthew hands the ball off to. Turner will get less carries, so Snells will get more. I always felt like he was underused anyway.

• greenwood1921
    Options
    BREAKOUT PLAYER (second place)

Will-MO!!!! aka C-4
    William+Moore+Atlanta+Falcons+v+Seattle+Seahawks+PRF36CJ82w9l.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIO0XG9JIHA

Only reason I didn't make him 1st place is because he's in street clothes too much. Most talented Safety we've had since my boy Scott Case back in the 90s with Prime Time.

*And yeah, that's him rappin' on the video.
  • greenwood1921
    Options
  • Livefromclayco
    Livefromclayco Members Posts: 14,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Y'all already know who I expect to break out

AkeemDent1_display_image.jpg?1337493852

11-5 btw
  • greenwood1921
    Options
    Yeah, I'ma need Dent to leave a few dents too. He droppin' heat rocks on defense like he did on special teams, we're good.

• Co_Town_Michael
    Co_Town_Michael Members Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ya'll ain't winning the superbowl, but the ATL Falcons should run away with the NFC South with ease this season.
  • greenwood1921
    Options
    But since we reppin' our college squad alumni.

Our #4 Corner and possible new Kick Returner...

488100919_0378_Cardinals_at_Falcons.jpgimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcSmyWp9qfWMEYarcDKMstt7RyQcISI_e7cXGaszD1HN7FU24NS4mw

• greenwood1921
    Options
    If he does get the KR/PR job, here's a glimpse of DF's return skills @ the 1:14 mark

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veGoKqbPYdQ&feature=related
  • Livefromclayco
    Options
    120102064311_uspw_5853834.jpg

Hopefully the new OC get him some touches
  • greenwood1921
    Options
    All I know is when Mike Nolan said that he would "definitely" blitz more aggressively than we did before, I was like...

46241_o.gif

I've been waiting for an aggressive defensive philosophy since 98. And now we got the secondary to back it up.

• Livefromclayco
    Options

488100919_0378_Cardinals_at_Falcons.jpgimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcSmyWp9qfWMEYarcDKMstt7RyQcISI_e7cXGaszD1HN7FU24NS4mw

You know I know Franks' brother right? That ? funny as hell. Riding around on 28s, shittin on hoes.

I'm hoping Ray Edwards shake things up this season and step up. In the meantime, his girl Lastarya doing a dam good job at it.

tumblr_m7el8uTRaJ1ruz6zso1_500.giftumblr_m3uasz02T41ruz6zso2_250.gif

133745804269.gif

I know I've clowned that ? but I can't flex like I wouldn't have done the same ?
  • KINGOFDAARCADE
    KINGOFDAARCADE Members Posts: 4,379 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Julio Jones is gonna have a monster season if he's healthy.

Possibly a Top 5 WR is he's healthy this year.... and the Saints will be trash, so its the Falcons year to take it to the next level
  • greenwood1921
    Options

You know I know Franks' brother right? That ? funny as hell. Riding around on 28s, shittin on hoes.

I'm hoping Ray Edwards shake things up this season and step up. In the meantime, his girl Lastarya doing a dam good job at it.

tumblr_m7el8uTRaJ1ruz6zso1_500.giftumblr_m3uasz02T41ruz6zso2_250.gif

lol. Good to know Tulsa ? are still stuntin in the A while I'm on the west coast.

• Livefromclayco
    Options
  • Crude_
    Crude_ Members Posts: 19,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? the Falcons
  • greenwood1921
    Options
    Between now and the 1st preseason game I'll breakdown each corp on the team. Starting with my favorite and probably our weakest link the last few years...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRr9H-HBcgRCVZjmdGaAVGvTejrDvI5Sr-YR6pnpMh3TQGQyMjWGA

More depth than we've had in years, but they'll be used more in Mike Nolan's system. (3 corners, two safeties)

Starting CBs: B+

Optimus:
    imager.php?id=3095059&t=o

Dunta:
    int.gif

Samz
    asante-samuel-o.gif

Grimes on the right, Samz on the left, Dunta in the slot. I think that might change throughout the season. Grimes is actually interchangeable. But I like Dunta in the slot because that's the closest thing to playing Safety for him. He's a starting corner that will be covering the third best receiver in most cases. I ? with that.

Strength: If we can get adequate pressure from blitzes or front 4, we can rack up turnovers. Samz is a gambler and all three have good hands for DB's.

Weakness: Chemistry. All three are learning a new defense. And Samz' gambling WILL bite us at least once or twice. Good thing is for every bad gamble Samz makes, they'll be two good ones. I'll take that.

Subs: C+

Dom Franks - Talented, athletic, getting better with every rep.
    Darrin Walls - Solid. Actually reminds me of Grimes' first couple years. Held it down in preseason last year.
    Chris Owens - Still waiting for him to catch soul cancer. I think this might be the year. *fingers crossed*.
  • Livefromclayco
    Options
    Damn since numbaz got em in seperate posts might as well put em together

tumblr_m7hdztIGOe1qdhsq0o2_400.gif

9628.gif

tumblr_m7hdztIGOe1qdhsq0o1_400.gif
  • greenwood1921
    Options

Starting SAFETIES: C+

I think this is actually the part of our defense that will show the most improvement.

Will-Mo
    2558588_o.gif

Thomas Decoud
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRlWWljTb2mVBnYu6S9RC_hzcm6PU439HjKfodxQcszqAByUCxjmQ

Strengths: Will-Mo is a pro-bowl talent that can't stay healthy. Hard hitter with good hands. Decoud can ? around and lose his spot to Chris Hope if he don't watch it. But he is athletic. Dropped like 4 interceptions last year tho. smh.

Subs: B

Chris Hope - Vet with Super Bowl experience. Fills the void left by James Sanders.
    Charles Mitchell - Talented rookie in the same mold as Will Mo.
    Shan Schillinger - Decent white hope. Not the fastest or strongest, but won't take the wrong angle. Really just a special teams gunner.

• greenwood1921
    edited July 2012
    Options
    20080807-block.jpg

LB breakdown.

STARTING LBs: C+

We'll run mostly 2-LB sets in a nickel package, but these are the front-runners right now...

SPOON!
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTW3Sdy6H5E10xwMw_gF99H5z6yZmuyLBo1oOb8yIAMaUEMtkDYCg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X91bBAJE18k

Akeem Dent
    Akeem-Dent.JPG

Stephen Nicholas
    GYI0063058269_crop_450x500.jpg?1295146119

Strengths: Spoon is another year older. Real football heads know he's as talented as any other young OLB in the league. Nicholas is underrated too.

Weakness: Totally different LB philisophy with Nolan. Might improve, but as one of the top teams against the run last year, our LB's were not a liability. Lofton was good, but not irreplaceable. Our LB pass coverage might even improve, but I expect our LB's to go from being the best of the 3 levels of our defense last year, to the worst this year.

SUBS: D

Mike Peterson (emotional leader, past his prime, but proved last year that he can still make plays.)

None of our other current reserve LB's are locks to make the final roster. So who knows wtf will happen here. I expect us to sign another vet LB before camp is over.

• Inglewood_B
    Inglewood_B Members Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    am i wrong for feeling way more optimistic about the defense this year? even with the new players and DC? i got a feeling this gon be our year. as much talent as we got on the roster we'll be kinda under the radar... ? aint expectin ? from ATL except a playoff spot at best
  • Matt-
    Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    am i wrong for feeling way more optimistic about the defense this year? even with the new players and DC? i got a feeling this gon be our year. as much talent as we got on the roster we'll be kinda under the radar... ? aint expectin ? from ATL except a playoff spot at best

don't you mean at worst?? its still falcons and saints at the top, and people are probably expecting less of the saints because of the bounty penalties.
  • greenwood1921
    Options

Nah, you ain't. The fact that our defense was ranked #12 despite having the dumbest DC in the league and one of the weakest pass rushes says alot.

I expect us to have a top 10 defensive with alot more forced turnovers.

Here's an interesting couple of facts about our secondary...

http://www.profootba...ency-go-routes/

Downfield Lockdown
    Although receivers can be excused from a lack of efficiency on deep routes because of the effect that the one big gain can have in a game, defenders covering go routes are judged completely differently. Being in good position most of the time is useless if you have that one lapse that gives up a pivotal play to the opposition. When covering deep routes you have to be on your game all the time, and that is exactly what Asante Samuel was in primary coverage of deep routes for the Philadelphia Eagles last season.

Samuel may be known more for his ability to jump short routes and scare teams off testing his tackling skills, but he is still an extremely capable defender on deep routes. Among corners targeted at least six times in primary coverage of go routes last season, Samuel was the only man not to yield a single completion. Each of the six pass attempts he saw fell incomplete, with no drops padding his stat line.

The next best after Samuel was his new teammate in Atlanta, Brent Grimes, who allowed only one completion on nine attempts. The Falcons new corner pairing also featured prominently when covering post routes, so if the Falcons can force teams to chase games this season they won’t have to fear their corners giving up cheap passes deep down the field on last year’s evidence.

I can dig it.
  • Inglewood_B
    Inglewood_B Members Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2012
    Options
    matt- wrote: »

don't you mean at worst?? its still falcons and saints at the top, and people are probably expecting less of the saints because of the bounty penalties.

nah its people who think we might not even do that and that the panthers will actually be taking the NFC south this year. i ? you not. although it could be that they just tryin to roast because im one of like 4 falcons fans in the LA area

• greenwood1921
    Options

Nope. All I hear on here and even on ESPN (who picked us to miss the playoffs this year) is how somehow losing to super bowl teams in the playoffs means you're the worst team in your division. lol

• Matt-
    Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

nah its people who think we might not even do that and that the panthers will actually be taking the NFC south this year. i ? you not. although it could be that they just tryin to roast because im one of like 4 falcons fans in the LA area

oh, so they look at you like

iSHkMiaKSza6s.gif