after tdkr whats next for batman movies?

Options
r.prince18
r.prince18 Members Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2012 in Lights, Camera, Action!
With Nolan done with his trilogy, It's a guarantee this won't be the last we see Batman at the movies. He is Warner Bros.' James Bond, a reliable blockbuster franchise, and those Coke and ? that the suits enjoy don't pay for themselves. Sure Man Of Steel is out next summer and Superman could join Batman, the same if WB ever gets off their ? and make a successful DC Comics-based superhero movie that isn't Batmn or Superman related. (Wonder Woman?) But Batman is a safe bet to sell tickets.

Online rumors (i.e. fanboy speculation reported as "newz") claim that if WB make their Justice League movie is when the new Batman will be introduced. Sure I guess. I've got on my own thoughts if and when they do reboot (reboot of a reboot? Oy!) the Batman series:

*I really loved the Nolan movies, but bring back the fantastical, absurd villainy. Give some of Batman's adversaries that haven't had a shot at the movies yet like Clayface for example. Don't get hanged up on realism and uber-logic like Nolan was.

*On that note, Mr. Freeze and Poison Ivy deserve another shot. They're both terrific villains. They deserve better than Batman & Robin.

*No not as fantastical as them, but I like to think Hush could make for a rather solid nemesis. (More Bruce Wayne's mortal enemy than Batman's.) Black Mask is also another contender.

*Don't do another origin movie. Start with Batman already kicking ass, and go from there.

*Speaking of another character I really liked that Batman & Robin blew that deserves cinematic redemption: Barbara Gordon.^ I always had a fondness for her, and she even provides you with a ready-to-apply character arc. Teenage costumed sidekick to getting paralyzed and evolves into the Oracle. You can make hay with that material. I personally would rather see her again than Robin.

*But if you're gonna do Robin, don't make him a teenager/young adult or whatever Schumacher did with his series. I mean after Kick Ass, is it even considered absurd and subtextually screwy anymore to have a costumed sidekick kid fighting armed serial killers and monsters head on? (Hell compared to KA, Robin would be considered rather tame.)

*Would one do Harley Quinn unless you do another movie with another Joker? No idea. (Would she work without the Joker at all in her origin story? Doubt it.)

*Someone locally suggested a Batman Beyond movie, and I really like that but I doubt WB will because...well, it's too good an idea.

Anymore thoughts locals?

Comments

• Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    there in the planning process of doing a reboot in 2014 (probably trying to gear up for a JL film down the pipeline)
    and its either gonna turn out really good or a complete disaster
  • esco soprano
    esco soprano Members Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I personally rather see realistic villans vs the cartoonish ones. This batman trilogy was simply too good to tinker with. It's gonna take a really good idea to appease the fandom. I'm disappointed singer's superman was sacked simply because I wanted to see where they'd go next after really confining themselves. I'll watch the man of steel regardless as a die hard superman fan. I'd like to see a black super hero next. Something fresh and original.
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think they should do a John Stewart Green lantern reboot. He was in the Justice league cartoons i watched when i was younger, do superman batman and green lantern movies. Introduce Aquaman, wonder woman, and flash in the JL Movie. Then release their solo films. Could introduce Martian manhunter in the JL movie and he could be the villain, then have cyborg get introduced in it as well.

Im not a huge fan of robin, unless he turned into Nightwing in a later movie thatd be dope.

Id like to see Twoface or Penguin used. def another joker too. Mr Freeze would be cool to see too.
  • Lou Cypher
    Options
    there in the planning process of doing a reboot in 2014 (probably trying to gear up for a JL film down the pipeline)
    and its either gonna turn out really good or a complete disaster

Yeah, chris nolan is listed as the producer, on imdb its listed as 2015 release
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    Options
    i'm not optimistic for the batman reboot at all. i understand the studio wants to capitalize on the success of batman, but it will forever be in the shadow of nolan's universe coming out this soon. especially if it tries to go the realistic route or use any of the same villains .
  • Lou Cypher
    Options
    If they got Geoff johns to write for the Aquaman movie i think it could be dope. What hes doing with the current aquaman series is awesome.
  • CracceR
    CracceR Members Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i agree with the opening post, imo that dramatic realism nolan went for wasnt all that.
    they are good movies of course, police dramas with masks as some ppl mentioned b4.
    id prefer it to be more comical, funnier, and more violent if they reboot
  • Sour-Cream
    Sour-Cream Members Posts: 6,474 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    A Robin, Nightwing or Azrael spinoff with Joseph Gordon Levitt but again TDKR was mediocre at most.
  • RawAce
    RawAce Members Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    CracceR wrote: »
    i agree with the opening post, imo that dramatic realism nolan went for wasnt all that.
    they are good movies of course, police dramas with masks as some ppl mentioned b4.

agreed

the batman i grew up on in the 90's was fun and not bent on reality

part of the reason i liked batman so much was that he took down so many different/wacky/insane villains

i appreciate Nolan and his realism but now I would like to see the more sci-fi side take on batman
  • loch121
    loch121 Members Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    RawAce wrote: »

agreed

part of the reason i liked batman so much was that he took down so many different/wacky/insane villains

i appreciate Nolan and his realism but now I would like to see the more sci-fi side take on batman

Batman always had a dark side though and the reboot is from when batman got dark to compete w/ darker comics that were dropping then.

I prefer the serious ? because it makes sense today more.

They made 3 wack campy Batmans that all sucked ass in the late 80's and 90's
  • CottonCitySlim
    CottonCitySlim Members Posts: 7,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They need to focus on the bat family and have batman as a supporting character...the public will tire of him otherwise
  • TrueGodHS
    TrueGodHS Members Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I honestly think it's time to move on from Batman. I think Nolan put together the best and most realistic trilogy for Batman, that wasn't as cartoony and a tad more relatable. A Justice League movie is the last thing they should do with Batman at all.
  • RawAce
    RawAce Members Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    loch121 wrote: »
    RawAce wrote: »

agreed

Batman always had a dark side though and the reboot is from when batman got dark to compete w/ darker comics that were dropping then.

I prefer the serious ? because it makes sense today more.

They made 3 wack campy Batmans that all sucked ass in the late 80's and 90's

OG Batman wit Keaton and Jack Nich sucked ass?
    No sir!!!
    ? ,they didnt suck ass until Keaton left the suit.

sure, the rest of the films werent greats but I think that has a whole lot to do wit changes made with the studio and conflicts wit directors and toy companies.

Im not sayin I want batshit campy movies like that ? wit Mr Freeze spouting off one liners but could we at least mix the fantasy wit the gritty realness like they tried to do with Batman Returns
  • CottonCitySlim
    CottonCitySlim Members Posts: 7,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    A movie with clayface would be cool
  • IamNumberOne
    IamNumberOne Members Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think in the next Superman when he's in the Bugle they speak on Gotham and Bruce Wayne or have a cameo of BW and scrap a JL movie and just make a Batman Superman movie like in the animated series... that 3 part cartoon/movie was goat
  • IamNumberOne
    IamNumberOne Members Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    like since he appeared in Superman they obviously can make it with more fantasy and have a new Batman after Superman and tie them in together withought all the origin story maybe flashbacks or w/e to show how he became Batman...thats how it seems they are goin to make it with Superman looking at the previews
  • texas409
    texas409 Members Posts: 20,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    man ? what yall talking baan forever was goat to me it wasnt too serious and wasnt that campy jim.carrey played the role of ridler.perfectly and Robin origin was good too
  • Still Cool Beans
    Still Cool Beans Members Posts: 462 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2012
    Options
    I think in the next Superman when he's in the Bugle they speak on Gotham and Bruce Wayne or have a cameo of BW and scrap a JL movie and just make a Batman Superman movie like in the animated series... that 3 part cartoon/movie was goat

I was just gonna say that a World's Finest would be a much smarter way to go before trying to do a JL film. It's a far less daunting task and Supes and Bats alone on the same screen together would do massive numbers. Maybe a Man of Steel sequel being the jumpoff for it. Given Synder's comments at Comic Con, it's likely that if MOS is successful it will be the foundation for the DC universe. That being said, it would allow them to maintain the grounded approach they seem to be taking while also being able to incorporate the more fantastical elements of Bats rogue gallery.

• earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    the next superman movie will probably build a JL. the next batman will be in a world that can interact with Henry Cavills superman.
  • allied
    allied Members Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Do a film where batman is actually...the central character and not just an add on. And get back to basics. What is Batman at his basic core; a detective with ninja skills who lives in the shadows and solves crimes, not atomic bombs.
  • Comic Vet
    Comic Vet Members Posts: 1
    Options
    Please, no campy movies. Need to introduce the supporting cast and Batman as a mentor role but Nolan did such a job obliterating Bruce Wayne, there are too many holes for a continuation that would drag a movie down explaining it all.
  • Sour-Cream
    Sour-Cream Members Posts: 6,474 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I would expect any superhero movie to be more to the effect of "the watchmen". A batman movie with that sort of visual, darker, grittier but more fantasy in that timeline would of been great but I saw Wallstreet/Brooklyn Bridge number 2 and 3 train in gotham city, wtf man.
  • rage
    rage Members Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    allied wrote: »
    Do a film where batman is actually...the central character and not just an add on. And get back to basics. What is Batman at his basic core; a detective with ninja skills who lives in the shadows and solves crimes, not atomic bombs.

Hasnt read a Batman comic post....
  • trilladelic
    trilladelic Members Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i wouldnt be mad @ a robin/nightwing or batgirl movie..