"I learned 90% of my game from MJ" -Kobe Bryant

Options

Comments

• ghost!
    ghost! Members Posts: 7,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2012
    Options
    mid-range

That's the one thing i took away from the video. Their mid-range game was uncanny. The pull up jumper is such a lost art in today's game, it aint even funny...i hate seeing players go crashing into the lane and get call for charging instead of pulling up and shooting that mid-range jumper. Jordan and Kobe did that ish on the reg.

• ocelot
    ocelot Members Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Whos the other 10%?
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    An appreciation thread on two of the best to do it is a great idea, keep it basketball ppl, nevermind the ? outside of that
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @c1 you just said a mouthful homie, ? MJ honed his skills watching other players as well

true talk
  • LPast
    LPast Members Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So similar... yet so different....

I don't see MJ ever losing if he played with a dominant big man like Shaq.
  • caddo man
    caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LPast wrote: »

Funny you say that cause some posters on here says Pippen is one of the best perimeter defender ever but had almost nothing to do with MJ winning those championships.

• LPast
    LPast Members Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    caddo man wrote: »

Funny you say that cause some posters on here says Pippen is one of the best perimeter defender ever but had almost nothing to do with MJ winning those championships.

No Pippen, no rings. Having a big man is even more of a game changer.

• caddo man
    caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Dont want to take this thread to far off track but just think if Shaq took his career as serious as Jordan.
  • DR. JEK
    DR. JEK Members Posts: 5,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2012
    Options

Dont want to take this thread to far off track but just think if Shaq took his career as serious as Jordan.

If Shaq had work ethic that Jordan put in, the mentallity that Mike had towards the game of basketball in general he'd a been twice as scary on the court. Shaq was already very dominate without those things...my ? what he coulda been had he had that ? in him too smh

• FucktheIC
    FucktheIC Members Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Only thing separating Jordan from Kobe is shot selection.

Jordan was aware of his limitations.
    Kobe is convinced he can dunk on the Monstars on 20 foot rim.
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    FucktheIC wrote: »
    Only thing separating Jordan from Kobe is shot selection.

Jordan was aware of his limitations.
    Kobe is convinced he can dunk on the Monstars on 20 foot rim.

This is it in a nutshell.... MJ's bball iq is higher which put him on another level.... Kobe is a better long range shooter but he takes bad shots because of it. I always tell folk imagine if Kobe took nothing but good shots how great his numbers would be.
  • FroHawke
    FroHawke Members Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Igot5onit wrote: »
    I never got why people got on Kobe for trying to be like MJ. Why wouldn't you want to set the bar high for yourself by emulating the greatest player of all time?

I think it was more of the fact that he seemed to copy too much, how he walked, the gum chewing, the tongue out...hell even the way he talked.
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It led to 5 rings and soon 6 so it worked.
  • thatni99ajahmal
    thatni99ajahmal Members Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That ? is pretty creepy lol
  • _Menace_
    _Menace_ Members, Writer Posts: 26,613 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    crazy how every shot and spot Jordan shoots
    Kobe is doing the same shot in the same place

1a.Jordan
    1b.Kobe
  • Matt-
    Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    who better to mimic?

but i do remember another video where kobe said he didn't watch as much jordan growing up, he said he focused more on, i want to say Dr J, but i could be wrong. it may have been a different player. but either way, everyone called ducktales
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    matt- wrote: »
    who better to mimic?

but i do remember another video where kobe said he didn't watch as much jordan growing up, he said he focused more on, i want to say Dr J, but i could be wrong. it may have been a different player. but either way, everyone called ducktales

He said Oscar Robertson ...but i still got the tape where he said he used to watch MJ faithfully
  • Matt-
    Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    who better to mimic?

He said Oscar Robertson ...but i still got the tape where he said he used to watch MJ faithfully

yeah that was it. i don't doubt that he at one time said he watched one more than the other. but thats kobe, he's got different personalities and different answers for different situations. its cool. thats not me hating. thats why people called ducktales on the oscar robertson thing. EVERYBODY knows he's obsessed with jordan. and thats not a bad thing.
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    who better to mimic?

yeah that was it. i don't doubt that he at one time said he watched one more than the other. but thats kobe, he's got different personalities and different answers for different situations. its cool. thats not me hating. thats why people called ducktales on the oscar robertson thing. EVERYBODY knows he's obsessed with jordan. and thats not a bad thing.

It was one of those post sportcenter interviews if i remember correctly where he stated that ? bout the Big O, he also mentioned Jerry West.....if i recollect Kobe said the Big O had a big ? nh.....
  • blu197
    blu197 Members Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Kobe mimics a lot of people's games though...that's how he's survived. He's been utilizing the Dirk shot lately too.

Cosign I've seen games where Kobe was doin sky hooks and ? , he is the ultimate copycat player, if Jordan never played in the nba then I think he would've copied magics game and him and shaq would've been magic and kareem but 2x better
  • louis rich
    louis rich Members Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    cant imaging Kobe copying anybody else but mike......."i seen it coming"
  • gh0st
    gh0st Members Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    dope vid but we gonna factor in they both had Phil J as coach I'm sure he ran plays from the 90's Bulls playbook with the Lakers.
    I've never been a Kobe fan but dude is ridiculous on the floor why wouldn't he study the GOAT?
    "If you gonna be a monkey...be a gorilla" word to Redman
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    blu197 wrote: »
    Kobe mimics a lot of people's games though...that's how he's survived. He's been utilizing the Dirk shot lately too.

Cosign I've seen games where Kobe was doin sky hooks and ? , he is the ultimate copycat player, if Jordan never played in the nba then I think he would've copied magics game and him and shaq would've been magic and kareem but 2x better

Yeah I don't see what the big deal is about the "copying" to be honest...he still has to be able to efficiently do these things...I'm pretty sure not everybody can just look at some Jordan film and go do it against some of the best athletes in the world.

Right,they acting like its a negative thing.If LeBron had done the same thing then he could already be a 3 time world champion.