How much responsibility do musicians have

Options

Comments

• LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There is more to the music than just the music though. Movies are for one marketed as fictional. Rap often is not.

Secondly hip hop has become a culture in and of itself, something good fellas has not yet managed.
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    godfather, scarface, sopranos and goodfellas are looked at as entertainment...so should rap music

The problem is these rappers want us to believe that what they do is real. Rick Ross gets confronted about being a correctional officer and lies about it. Al Pacino ain't on Inside the Actors studio claiming he's Tony Montana.

And let's not kid ourselves here some of this music may not be the source of the problem but it sure as hell ain't helping.

Ultimately it falls on us though, society just ain't ? in general.
    rick ross is the emodiment of a fake thug..putting on to sell records....he still should hold no influence over decisions made by these ? who try to emulate what they hear on his CDs.
    it also speaks to intelligence. both parents taught me that what I saw on tv was all make believe from an early age.
  • Bussy_Getta
    Bussy_Getta Members Posts: 37,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Goodfellas were modeled after the mob, we do have mob culture no?
  • Allah_U_Akbar
    Allah_U_Akbar Members Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    godfather, scarface, sopranos and goodfellas are looked at as entertainment...so should rap music

Nah.. the difference being that everybody knows that movies are entertainment with actors playing roles. The typical mentally ? rapper will swear up & down that he has lived every song that he has ever released. The typical mentally ? rapper will tell you it's all about "keeping it real"... No acting involved. There's nothing worse than a "studio gangsta", right?

Nobody in GODFATHER, SCARFACE, SOPRANOS or GOODFELLAS ever claimed to be any of those characters in real life. None of those actors ever claimed that those films were based on their real life experiences.

And THAT'S the difference between movies, television, etc and hip-hop.
  • DarcSkies
    DarcSkies Members Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    RodrigueZz wrote: »
    Darxwell wrote: »
    None what-so-ever.Blaming music has always been the FIRST resort of a society that refuses to look in a mirror & tackle the real issues.

What rap/metal song mad ? invade Poland? What rap/metal song was responsible for 500k people dying in the Sudan?

What rapper is responsible for poverty in the inner cities? Before you respond keep in mind black people where impoverished (even more than now) before the 1970s when Hip-Hop began.

Rappers/Musicians have no responsibility to anybody other than a responsibility to make good music. How pathetic and sad is your community when you're reduced to, "? CHICAGO IS IN SHAMBLES! WHAT'S LIL WAYNE & LUPE FIASCO GONNA DO ABOUT THIS?! SOMEBODY TELL ME...WHERE'S JA!??!?! WHERE'S JA?!?!?!"

How bout these intellectually lazy ? demand more from absent Fathers, Aint-? ? ? using child support for Zebra print nails, racist employment practices, under employment, racist legal system, and all the other factors that lead to violence in the first place?

Nah ? demanding more from our local government. ? taking your black ass to school so you actually have a future to live for. Lets just hope Jay-Z, Lupe & Nicki Minaj save the ? world by Track 7. Really black people? Thats why i cant ? stand ? man.

It is more than music though when it become a part of the culture, which it arguably very well has in the black community.
    False. That's an ignorant assumption (and Im not calling you stupid I'm using the word ignorant in a literal sense because you dont seem to be knowledgeable about this ? at all.)

The vast majority of black youth are a fan of at least one rap artist and the vast majority of black youth have not shot anybody or sold any drug. So for you to say, "it's become a part of the culture" is a racist argument seeing as though you obviously based that on whatever blackass mugshot you saw on Channel Whatever news last night, ignoring the vast majority of black youth who are not involved in a destructive lifestyle.

Please stop acting like you cant walk down the street without tripping over a dead gangbanger. I can tell you're not really speaking from what you know because it's never as bad as the media says. Especially when you compare the amount of killings to the actual number of people in these major cities.

Funny how you consider the negative acts of a small majority of blacks "a part of black culture." BUt the vast majority of black youth are actually not bad at all. Just normal everyday Americans (not great, not bad, just normal). Whyd ont you consider them "black culture?"

That was a rhetorical question. The answer is obvious I just wanted to point it out.
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    still goes back to what u teach ur kids..of whats real and whats not.
    if ur kid thinks lil wayne is the biggest thug in the streets and 50 goin around murking ? he lost already..
  • LUClEN
    Options
    None what-so-ever.Blaming music has always been the FIRST resort of a society that refuses to look in a mirror & tackle the real issues.

What rap/metal song mad ? invade Poland? What rap/metal song was responsible for 500k people dying in the Sudan?

What rapper is responsible for poverty in the inner cities? Before you respond keep in mind black people where impoverished (even more than now) before the 1970s when Hip-Hop began.

Rappers/Musicians have no responsibility to anybody other than a responsibility to make good music. How pathetic and sad is your community when you're reduced to, "? CHICAGO IS IN SHAMBLES! WHAT'S LIL WAYNE & LUPE FIASCO GONNA DO ABOUT THIS?! SOMEBODY TELL ME...WHERE'S JA!??!?! WHERE'S JA?!?!?!"

How bout these intellectually lazy ? demand more from absent Fathers, Aint-? ? ? using child support for Zebra print nails, racist employment practices, under employment, racist legal system, and all the other factors that lead to violence in the first place?

Nah ? demanding more from our local government. ? taking your black ass to school so you actually have a future to live for. Lets just hope Jay-Z, Lupe & Nicki Minaj save the ? world by Track 7. Really black people? Thats why i cant ? stand ? man.

It is more than music though when it become a part of the culture, which it arguably very well has in the black community.
    False. That's an ignorant assumption (and Im not calling you stupid I'm using the word ignorant in a literal sense because you dont seem to be knowledgeable about this ? at all.)

The vast majority of black youth are a fan of at least one rap artist and the vast majority of black youth have not shot anybody or sold any drug. So for you to say, "it's become a part of the culture" is a racist argument seeing as though you obviously based that on whatever blackass mugshot you saw on Channel Whatever news last night, ignoring the vast majority of black youth who are not involved in a destructive lifestyle.

Please stop acting like you cant walk down the street without tripping over a dead gangbanger. I can tell you're not really speaking from what you know because it's never as bad as the media says. Especially when you compare the amount of killings to the actual number of people in these major cities.

Funny how you consider the negative acts of a small majority of blacks "a part of black culture." BUt the vast majority of black youth are actually not bad at all. Just normal everyday Americans (not great, not bad, just normal). Whyd ont you consider them "black culture?"

That was a rhetorical question. The answer is obvious I just wanted to point it out.

Consider how small the community is the percentages are still great.

Don't strawman me, i did not mean murder was part of the culture, i meant hip hop.
  • NoCompetition
    NoCompetition Members Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2012
    Options
    still goes back to what u teach ur kids..of whats real and whats not.
    if ur kid thinks lil wayne is the biggest thug in the streets and 50 goin around murking ? he lost already..

Exactly. When I matured enough to realize rap was entertainment, I made sure everybody around me understood this too. But people understand this much more today than in the "keepin it real" days of the 90's and earlier 2000's. So T.S., it was just a statement by Lupe fiasco. not a big deal.
  • elementalP
    elementalP Members Posts: 202
    Options
    Most of yall have already said it. A musicians influence in your child's life, specifically, should be none. The parents of the child and what they have trained them up to be should be the biggest inflluence. Now when they are adults, it's on them
  • elementalP
    elementalP Members Posts: 202
    Options
    What they allow to influence them
  • leftcoastkev
    leftcoastkev Members Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'd say somewhere between 0 and 1 ? .
  • kzzl
    kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    kzzl wrote: »
    kzzl wrote: »
    The only responsibility a musician has is to themselves. It's not their fault our kids are idiots and our hoods are ? .

Uhm no. You have a responsibility not to harm others. What is considered harm is up for debate though.

If you can't even distinguish what "harm" is, how you going to point fingers bout what's responsible for it?

I'm gonna show you something that's gonna blow your mind...

Parental-advisory-explicit-lyrics.jpeg

^^^ See this? Remember that? That's a parental advisory sticker. It's a warning to PARENTS. But it's the musicians fault the parents ain't monitoring they child activities? It's the musicians fault that 4 minutes of his voice can destroy x amount of years of parenting? I can't be the only guy that had a father willing to tell me not to listen, watch, or do certain stuff that's inappropriate. And the man that raised me had far more sway over me than tupac or biggie.

Far as the community goes, shiiiiiiiiit.
    I don't see Rick Ross running for office. I don't Lupe running for sheriff. I don't see Game rewriting the constitution. Is Ron Isley the reason for the new tax code? Is Prince the head of the PTA? Folks need to take these celebrities off a pedestal. What law states that going platinum means you have to save the world by your third album? What label has that in their contract?

• DarcSkies
    edited August 2012
    Options

Consider how small the community is the percentages are still great.

Don't strawman me, i did not mean murder was part of the culture, i meant hip hop.
    The community is NOT small int he inner cities. BLack people ARE the inner cities.

Secondly, hip-hop is NOT the black culture. Hip-Hop is simply a big part of the black culture. Secondly we dont all have the same cultural background.

Third, that was no strawman argument because you implied the Hip-Hop was black culture and was responsible for violence.
    It is more than music though when it become a part of the culture,
    ^ RIGHT THERE. If you think it's more than music you're saying that people saying Hip-Hop is in some way responsible for drug dealers/violence in black areas of course anyone paying attention is going to read it as you saying what I thought you said.

But if you were not in fact saying that then I apologize and my bad B-)
  • DarcSkies
    Options
    Nevermind...I didnt see the part where it was BIG PART OF THE BLACK CULTURE. I read it as HIP-HOP IS BLACK CULTURE. So when i said u said it was black culture in general I obviously misread...MY MISTAKE.
  • LUClEN
    Options
    Sorry for the incoherence there.

Culture can have a great deal of impact on how we behave - more so than just music alone. That's why I see hip hop being a part of the culture as a big factor.
  • TB.Boy
    TB.Boy Members Posts: 553 ✭✭✭
    Options
    What happened to taking responsibility for your actions?

So you think the person who buys the poison is more at fault than the person selling it?
    Yes, you cannot have supply without demand.

You make a great point but a drug dealer is helping someone destroy themselves which dominoes and destroys families as well.The pusher and abuser are both selfish.
  • Bussy_Getta
    Bussy_Getta Members Posts: 37,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    TB.Boy wrote: »
    TB.Boy wrote: »
    What happened to taking responsibility for your actions?

So you think the person who buys the poison is more at fault than the person selling it?
    Yes, you cannot have supply without demand.

You make a great point but a drug dealer is helping someone destroy themselves which dominoes and destroys families as well.The pusher and abuser are both selfish.
    If you're intent on destroying yourself you will find a way. Pusher is selfish but abuser keeps him in business.
    All you need is a junkie and a dream :-(
  • High Revolutionary
    High Revolutionary Members Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The problem is these rappers want us to believe that what they do is real. Rick Ross gets confronted about being a correctional officer and lies about it. Al Pacino ain't on Inside the Actors studio claiming he's Tony Montana.

And let's not kid ourselves here some of this music may not be the source of the problem but it sure as hell ain't helping.

Ultimately it falls on us though, society just ain't ? in general.
    rick ross is the emodiment of a fake thug..putting on to sell records....he still should hold no influence over decisions made by these ? who try to emulate what they hear on his CDs.
    it also speaks to intelligence. both parents taught me that what I saw on tv was all make believe from an early age.

No doubt but Rick Ross isn't the only fake thug out here. He's just the most visible right now. Most of these mainstrean rap cats are frontin more than Pharrell. And that goes back to NWA. The dudes who are really doing dirt are either jammed up, don't have the time or the talent. Which is another problem: cause dudes ain't lived that life they're not even painting an accurate picture of it. It's a glamourized fictitious substitute, but they want us to believe it's all real.

And I agree that good parenting is key but people like to act like the music has absolutely no effect on the mindstate when science says otherwise. I tell those people to google music therapy.

It's really an ethical issue IMO...
  • TB.Boy
    Options
    Yeah, its all just a vicious cycle lost people are perpetuating. I loled at "junkie and a dream" funny but sadly true...
  • CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    music is a "drug" tho @t/s
  • CracceR
    CracceR Members Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2012
    Options
    musicians have some responsability but not as much as the record execs and higher ups
  • Knives Amilli
    Knives Amilli Members Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2012
    Options
    To me, trying to push the "ethical responsibility" of subject matter on the artists (which is subjective as all hell) is leading down the road to censorship. People should have a right to express whatever it is they feel, regardless of whether all pockets of society agrees with it or not.

However, it is in my opinion deceitful when artists/media creators try to ? off all responsibility to society/parenting/institutions. We will never get an unbiased study on the effects of media on the human brain, but i'm willing to bet media affects our minds more than most realize.
  • TB.Boy
    Options
    If Musicians took even just a teeny bit things would be better. In a perfect world parents would raise their own kids but the reality is they arent.
  • Well Got Dam
    Well Got Dam Members Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    if musicians. movies entertainment ? etc. have even .0000001% of an influence on how your kids are raised.......you ? up as a parent

if any of these rappers are your idols or heroes as a kid, you a ? idoit!
  • CracceR
    CracceR Members Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    DAMITT wrote: »
    if musicians. movies entertainment ? etc. have even .0000001% of an influence on how your kids are raised.......you ? up as a parent

if any of these rappers are your idols or heroes as a kid, you a ? idoit!

what about kids with single parents that work most of the time?