Weekly Business Fashion must-haves

Options

Comments

• Matt-
    Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    golf shirts for the spring-fall....then a few button ups for the winter. a couple solid ones and a couple striped. a couple shades of black/gray pants..and a light and dark pair of khakis....black socks, black shoes..brown/navy socks..brown shoes....i always like to get nice coats. not blazers..just decent coats/fleeces.....and DO NOT wear those thick framed glasses. well, wear them if you want. but that ? looks dumb.

i don't really have to dress up for work. so i'm not going to. and if you don't have to, then don't force it. no sense in spending $1,000 on some skinny ? then wear it to work looking all stupid while the other people are comfortable and not broke.

keep it basic. don't let these people on tv and sports influence your look or perception of what is 'professional' because that ? looks awkward as ? on the everyday person.
  • FucktheIC
    FucktheIC Members Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    matt- wrote: »
    golf shirts for the spring-fall....then a few button ups for the winter. a couple solid ones and a couple striped. a couple shades of black/gray pants..and a light and dark pair of khakis....black socks, black shoes..brown/navy socks..brown shoes....i always like to get nice coats. not blazers..just decent coats/fleeces.....and DO NOT wear those thick framed glasses. well, wear them if you want. but that ? looks dumb.

i don't really have to dress up for work. so i'm not going to. and if you don't have to, then don't force it. no sense in spending $1,000 on some skinny ? then wear it to work looking all stupid while the other people are comfortable and not broke.

keep it basic. don't let these people on tv and sports influence your look or perception of what is 'professional' because that ? looks awkward as ? on the everyday person.

Definitely. You should be taking your cues on how to dress from the people in positions you want. If you want to move up, dress like your supervisor, etc. If your supervisor doesn't ever wear a suit, no need to wear a suit, you look ridiculous. This is definitely a personal choice based on the environment you work in.
  • taeboo
    taeboo Members Posts: 4,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wrap dresses hug your curves,I don't feel people (especially men) take me serious when they can see my figure like that.

This. If you have curves(especially big ? )a wrap dress may not be the best option for work.

• FucktheIC
    Options
    taeboo wrote: »
    Wrap dresses hug your curves,I don't feel people (especially men) take me serious when they can see my figure like that.

This. If you have curves(especially big ? )a wrap dress may not be the best option for work.

Honestly, I disagree though. You're a woman. No one's saying to have your ? popping out, but it doesn't mean you can't be a woman.
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    Recaptimus_Prime360 Members Posts: 64,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ehh. That blazer looks like it'll fit too tight. I like to be comfortable. I don't like to feel constricted with my clothing
  • Kat
    Kat Members Posts: 50,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Most wrap dresses are made from that clingy curve hugging material..is this about how much ass you can see jiggling around the office?

I've been eyeing tailored suits lately..about to hit the interview circuit again.
  • MARIO_DRO
    MARIO_DRO Members Posts: 14,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Most wrap dresses are made from that clingy curve hugging material..is this about how much ass you can see jiggling around the office?

I've been eyeing tailored suits lately..about to hit the interview circuit again.
    WHAT SIZE ARE YOU 12..14?
  • Kat
    Kat Members Posts: 50,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Miltown Marauder
    Miltown Marauder Members Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This dude is like my protege.
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    aone415 wrote: »
    On a Blazer, Sport Jacket or Suit Jacket the sleeve should be cut @ about 1/4" above the bottom of the shirt sleeve. The reason is that you want a slight bit of sleeve showing... It presents a 'finished' look.

In terms of shoes and socks matching, that ? is lame, I've been known to punch it up a bit with my socks, it's cool to me...

DSCN1572.jpg]

One of the best rules to follow, is to dress for the job you want, not the job you have. If you're co-workers wear jeans everyday and your boss wears chinos, wear chinos, if you're co-workers wear chinos and your boss wears slacks and a jacket, try that look a few days a week, etc... If your office isn't formal but you want to wear a suit, lose the tie, and add the pocket square (I prefer the 'TV' fold b/c it's simple and elegant)
    My ? ! Dapz!!!
  • Black Boy King
    Black Boy King Members Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    my boss doesn't think polo shirts are appropriate for the office; that ? really throws me off. got me runnin thru my buttondowns n ? ..

fuckit i got on a chaps polo today tho
  • King Erauno
    King Erauno Members Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i endorse this thread. been trying to step my dress game up a bit.
  • GettinLo
    GettinLo Members Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Fall 2011 Casual Friday Flow

* Vintage RL Polo Rugby
    * Jeff Rose Oxford Shirt
    * Levi's 501's Hard Jeans
    * RL Polo Wool Socks
    * Classic Timberland Lug Sole Deck Shoes
    * Omega Seamaster Watch

IMG00039-20110916-0930.jpg

• Recaptimus_Prime360
    Recaptimus_Prime360 Members Posts: 64,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Polo type shirts and khakis is what I usually wear now. I like to be comfortable.
  • FucktheIC
    Options
    e7crhg.jpg

They could all use some polish, but these are my everyday go to shoes. I have 2 other pairs that aren't on here. As you can see, my shoes go through some ? . Black pair are my johnston and murphy's, 200 bucks....done been resoled 2x. ? don't look more than a couple months old.
  • GettinLo
    GettinLo Members Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    FucktheIC wrote: »
    FucktheIC wrote: »
    e7crhg.jpg

They could all use some polish, but these are my everyday go to shoes. I have 2 other pairs that aren't on here. As you can see, my shoes go through some ? . Black pair are my johnston and murphy's, 200 bucks....done been resoled 2x. ? don't look more than a couple months old.

Get some Cedar Shoe trees... they'll prolong the life of your shoes and keep em smelling fresh
  • Miltown Marauder
    Miltown Marauder Members Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ?
    * Vintage RL Polo Rugby
    * Jeff Rose Oxford Shirt
    * RL Polo Wool Socks
    * Classic Timberland Lug Sole Deck Shoes
    * Omega Seamaster Watch

? sick.
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

* Vintage RL Polo Rugby
    * Jeff Rose Oxford Shirt
    * RL Polo Wool Socks
    * Classic Timberland Lug Sole Deck Shoes* Omega Seamaster Watch

I got those same Timberland joints you rocking. Good look homie
  • DrMindbender122
    DrMindbender122 Members Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeah. I used to have a pair of those Timbs in black. Dem ? used to pretty much go with anything.
  • BK Product
    BK Product Members Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dope thread

**grabs pen and paper**
  • FucktheIC
    Options

* Vintage RL Polo Rugby
    * Jeff Rose Oxford Shirt
    * RL Polo Wool Socks
    * Classic Timberland Lug Sole Deck Shoes* Omega Seamaster Watch

I got those same Timberland joints you rocking. Good look homie

I'm not really a big fan of the lug sole though. I like the classic top siders look.
  • haute
    haute Members Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wrap dresses can work with curvier figures

Add a cami or blazer

And never be afraid to go a size up and tailor your pieces
  • evoljeanyes
    evoljeanyes Members Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I feel more comfortable the more formal I am. Don't get me wrong I am a sneaker head. But I like my pullover sweaters button downs and and cardigans...

I'm a grey slacks wearing ass ? . I prefer my suits grey or black. Straight leg, no slack in my cuff.

I wear a lot of boat shoes button downs and cardigans. Usually with high water chinos

Meeting days I am either patterned shirt and tie. Suit full, or shirt tie and pull over sweater.

I love finding patterned shirts to wear with dope ties.

I hate hard bottoms without laces. I used my belt color to choose my shoe color when I wear slacks or suits.

Black brown tan brick and blue are my only hard bottom shoe Colors

What do you all wear when y'all wanna rock the sneaks.
  • FucktheIC
    Options
    Ladies and gentlemen, I'm back once again to help you with your business fashion game.

This week we'll discuss the buttons on your suit. At the end of this post you should know several things: 1. Your suit should never have more than 3 buttons; 2. Which buttons should you button; 3. When should you button them?

Let's begin with Mr. Steve Harvey. Thankfully, he's switched his style up to become more mainstream. However, I want to say, "? Steve Harvey!" Steve Harvey spent at least a decade having black men looking like absolutely fools with his 6 and seven button suits. I, too, have been victim of this. First suit I ever owned was for a wedding and it had 4 buttons with a tacky stacy adams swirl tie and a shiny ass shirt. Can't even get mad at dukes, she didn't know any better.

The purpose of a suit is to look clean. A good suit highlights the man in the suit and not the suit itself. Ideally, no one should remember the suit, but remember the feeling they got when they saw you in it. Clean, put together, no frills, all business.

SteveHarveySuitGraduate.jpg THIS, gentlemen, is not apropos. Not only b/c of the color, but this cut in a neutral color is still not appropriate. It screams "LOOK AT ME!" and is incredibly loud. You want to look like Malcolm X AFTER jail, not before jail.

Ideally, your suit will have 2 buttons, but 3 is also fine. Two button suits are more contemporary, while 3 buttons are classics. Either is fine; I have a nice mixture of the two. Never go with 1 button suits, leave that for hipster douches.

But here's the tricky thing gentlemen. I sometimes see young men with all 3 buttoned or both buttoned, and you look stiff. I'm going to give you a rule of thumb for 3 button suits. From top to bottom, they buttons are as follows: Sometimes, Always, Never. Follow that rule of thumb for buttoning your suits.

With 2 button suits, it's Always and never in the same order.

Last is when to button your suits. If your suit is a proper fit, it will be a bit uncomfortable if buttoned while seated. This is really a matter of personal choice, but I almost never button my suits. The only time it's buttoned is if I'm facing a stiff wind, entering an important meeting, or meeting a fine honey for the first time. Other than that, I always have mine unbottoned.

There you have it gentlemen, just a tip from ya boy for this week.

Stay classy, ? !
  • FucktheIC
    Options
    Ladies, this week it's all about the high waisted pencil skirt. Lawd. Lawd. LAWD!

Let me begin by saying I'm not of the 80's philosophy. The idea that women must shroud their femininity in manly cuts, rectangular lines, and broad shoulders. Throw out those shoulder pads, rid yourself of those A-lines, and dress like a woman dammit. Your curves don't make you less capable in the work place. With that out the way, I want to present you with exhibit A.

flirty-pencil-skirt-for-full-figured-women.jpg
    Last week I had several women complain about how their curves look in wrap dresses, so I'm heading it off at the pass this week. There's nothing wrong with wearing fitted clothing as a woman. Any man who doesn't take you seriously b/c of what you're wearing wasn't going to take your seriously in the first place. The look above is great regardless of shape. It defines the waist. This isn't the only way to accomplish this, b/c some women use belts. But I LOVE the high waist pencil skirt. It defines your shape and projects an air of confidence and femininity.