It looks like bombing Libya and taking out Gaddafi has not helped with America's reputation there

Options
kingblaze84
kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2012 in The Social Lounge
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/11/us-consulate-in-libya-attacked_n_1875739.html

TRIPOLI, Libya — A Libyan security official says one American consulate employee has been shot dead and another wounded in the hand during an attack at the U.S. consulate in the eastern city of Benghazi.

Wanis al-Sharef, an interior ministry official in Benghazi, said the two were shot at the consulate during an attack by armed men who stormed the building. He provided no further details.

The angry protest at the consulate Tuesday was sparked by outrage over a film produced by an American in California and promoted by an extreme anti-Muslim Egyptian Christian campaigner in the United States attacking Islam's Prophet Muhammad.

Witnesses said the armed men set fire to the consulate and fired shots into the air, burning much of the build.

Comments

• kingblaze84
    Options
    So despite us "helping" the Libyans get rid of the dictator Gaddafi, and the American govt NOT making this video of the prophet Mohammed being made fun of (and supposedly depicted having sex with animals in the Youtube video), it looks like America's reputation is still in the gutter over there.

Damn shame we're still hated there just like we were in the Bush days.
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Egypt too.

How dumb is it that they burning ? down and killing ppl cuz some random nobody made an anti-Islam flick? This wasn't a anti-Israel protest..........one of those Islamophobe ? made a propaganda film, somebody reposted with Arabic subtitles........riots. There really is a problem in the Muslim world with them not understanding how free speech works. I mean, if you asked Egyptians on the street if they want Free Speech they'd be like "SURE!" but then ask them if saying not-so-nice things about Islam and The Prophet should be protected under Free Speech and see how many ppl give you a stale face. They still got that backwards 19th Century America mindset towards blasphemy vs. free speech. Seriously, it's like those protesters in the UK that had signs like this:

behead-islam-violence.jpg

Christianity as a whole got over this sensitive ? a minute ago. Too many Muslims still expect the whole world to give them special treatment and kiss Islam's ass. Grow up.

I hate this ? , because it really seems like the Extreme Christianists and Extreme Islamists are just hellbent on beefing and the rest of us are gonna be stuck cleaning up the rubble and bodies. Man, that Breivik dude that murked them 77 kids in part because he saw them as "supporting the Muslim invasion of Europe" etc. Pandora's Box is ? open and it is only going to get worse. Post Arab Spring democracies are gonna be unstable as hell, Neo-Fascist movements are gaining strength in Europe via Islamophobia, Iran's prolly gonna start a nuclear arms race in the Middle East, The Next Republican President will be demonizing and profiling Muslims, someone is gonna top 9/11 eventually. ? . Welp, I guess its still better than the dystopian future where we have a Cold War with China.
  • Swiffness!
    edited September 2012
    Options
    so word is the US ambassador to Libya was killed. MSNBC was talmbout how both of the new Presidents of Libya and Egypt are gonna be personally apologizing to the victims families today. I suppose that's a good sign. The Egyptian President is a pretty cool moderate dude, so he's more worried about the Muslim Brotherhood taking over than anybody else on Earth.

Egyptian activist Wael Ghoneim wrote on his Facebook page that "attacking the US embassy on September 11 and raising flags linked to al-Qaeda will not be understood by the American public as a protest over the film about the prophet.

"Instead, it will be received as a celebration of the crime that took place on September 11," he said.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/middleeast/2012/09/20129112108737726.html

the ? film ain't even released yet smfh

Speaking by phone to the Associated Press from an undisclosed location, writer and director Bacile remained defiant, maintaining his stance on Islam as “a cancer” and that he intended his film to be a provocative political statement.

Bacile admitted he had not anticipated such a furious reaction to his film and said: "I feel sorry for the embassy. I am mad".

The 56-year-old filmmaker said he believed the movie will help his native land by exposing Islam's flaws to the world.

"My plan is to make a series of 200 hours" about the same subject. (OH LAWD, ARE WE REALLY GONNA GO THROUGH THIS ? *EVERY* TIME? WILL SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN TO THESE ISLAMISTS WHAT TROLLING IS?)

He also said the film was produced in English and that he did not know who had dubbed it in Arabic.

The full film has not been shown yet, he said, and he said he has declined distribution offers for now.

The two-hour movie, "Innocence of Muslims'', cost $5m to make and was financed with the help of more than 100 Jewish donors, said Bacile.

smfh, the same day i bent over backwards to defend yall on the IC lol way to go Jewish ppl
  • Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2012
    Options
    This will not do much to help them when they want folks to go to bat for them in the future. They act like America sanctioned some lone dude making a film or burning their Koran. I guess in their view, we should have stoned the guy. To do this 1 day after 9/11 and during an election year when a guy whom wouldn't mind destroying your country wants the presidency, is dumb as ? . They took all the shine away from the minister (and Zionist that supported him) and put it squarely on them and now nobody gives a ? about their concerns. Congratulations religion.
  • irad4185
    irad4185 Members Posts: 105 ✭✭
    Options
    Swiffness! wrote: »
    I suppose that's a good sign. The Egyptian President is a pretty cool moderate dude, so he's more worried about the Muslim Brotherhood taking over than anybody else on Earth.

The Egyptian President is MB so why would he not want them to get more power?
    Egyptian activist Wael Ghoneim wrote on his Facebook page that "attacking the US embassy on September 11 and raising flags linked to al-Qaeda will not be understood by the American public as a protest over the film about the prophet.

"Instead, it will be received as a celebration of the crime that took place on September 11," he said.

blog-shaq-face%255B1%255D%255B8%255D.jpg
  • MrSoutCity
    MrSoutCity Members Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Gaddifi rotten corpse somewhere in the Libyan desert laughing his ass off.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i hope they know they done fyukked up
  • kingblaze84
    Options
    Good posts on several accounts, I agree it does not make Muslims look good to be killing 4 Americans (including the American ambassador to Libya) but the dude who made the film should have known how much Americans are hated in the Middle East, so why put gas on the flames. Even worse is the guy is an American Jew, so you already know how THAT is gonna be interpreted over there......

I saw this coming too once Gaddafi was taken out of power. Just like Saddam, he kept people in check, this would have NEVER happened if Gaddafi was still in charge. And before anyone says I am wrong, note this is the first time an event happened like this has happened in Libya, same year Gaddafi is taken out.
  • kingblaze84
    Options
    MrSoutCity wrote: »
    Gaddifi rotten corpse somewhere in the Libyan desert laughing his ass off.

YEP LOL, I told people taking out Gaddafi wasn't gonna improve our relations over there, not as long as we maintain the same foreign policy of theft of resources and neverending wars. The anti-Islam movie was just gasoline on an already burning flame......

But fam, how should America and Obama respond to this?
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Swiftness! wrote:
    There really is a problem in the Muslim world with
    them not understanding how free speech
    works. I mean, if you asked Egyptians on the street if
    they want Free Speech they'd be like "SURE!" but then
    ask them if saying not-so-nice things about Islam and
    The Prophet should be protected under Free Speech
    and see how many ppl give you a stale face.

You have to respect the culture of the people you dealing with, just because you can do certain things here and nothing will happen doesn't mean you can do it everywhere. Its obvious the whole film thing was another lesson to Americans about their ignorance of other cultures.

Also Americans have plenty of free speech barriers. Go threaten the President and you will have Secret Service on your porch before the week is over. They have a right to set their own barriers of "free speech".
  • kingblaze84
    Options
    FuriousOne wrote: »
    This will not do much to help them when they want folks to go to bat for them in the future. They act like America sanctioned some lone dude making a film or burning their Koran. I guess in their view, we should have stoned the guy. To do this 1 day after 9/11 and during an election year when a guy whom wouldn't mind destroying your country wants the presidency, is dumb as ? . They took all the shine away from the minister (and Zionist that supported him) and put it squarely on them and now nobody gives a ? about their concerns. Congratulations religion.

Yeah I agree, this is playing into Romney's hands and will give him ammunition to be even more of a warmonger now. This incident proves we need to stay the ? away from Arab/Muslim lands until we improve our reputation there, but what are the odds of that happening SMFH.

How do you think Obama should respond to this?
  • jono
    Options
    Good posts on several accounts, I agree it does not make Muslims look good to be killing 4 Americans (including the American ambassador to Libya) but the dude who made the film should have known how much Americans are hated in the Middle East, so why put gas on the flames. Even worse is the guy is an American Jew, so you already know how THAT is gonna be interpreted over there......

I saw this coming too once Gaddafi was taken out of power. Just like Saddam, he kept people in check, this would have NEVER happened if Gaddafi was still in charge. And before anyone says I am wrong, note this is the first time an event happened like this has happened in Libya, same year Gaddafi is taken out.

I am of the opinion that Americans (and now Europeans) troll Muslims on purpose looking for a response like this one.
  • kingblaze84
    Options
    jono wrote: »

I am of the opinion that Americans (and now Europeans) troll Muslims on purpose looking for a response like this one.

Of course, it's obvious. The avg American without a doubt has little respect for Muslim and Arab people, just listen to talk radio here in liberal NYC, you'd be surprised at what you hear. The guy who made this film, Bacile, said he made this film to prove a point about Muslims but the funny thing is Western nations are committing more acts of violence against Muslim people than the other way around, hence the violence we see at the consulate. I can't believe it got burnt to the ground, WOW
  • kingblaze84
    Options
    so word is the US ambassador to Libya was killed. MSNBC was talmbout how both of the new Presidents of Libya and Egypt are gonna be personally apologizing to the victims families today. I suppose that's a good sign. The Egyptian President is a pretty cool moderate dude, so he's more worried about the Muslim Brotherhood taking over than anybody else on Earth.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/middleeast/2012/09/20129112108737726.html

the ? film ain't even released yet smfh

Speaking by phone to the Associated Press from an undisclosed location, writer and director Bacile remained defiant, maintaining his stance on Islam as “a cancer” and that he intended his film to be a provocative political statement.

Bacile admitted he had not anticipated such a furious reaction to his film and said: "I feel sorry for the embassy. I am mad".

The 56-year-old filmmaker said he believed the movie will help his native land by exposing Islam's flaws to the world.

"My plan is to make a series of 200 hours" about the same subject. (OH LAWD, ARE WE REALLY GONNA GO THROUGH THIS ? *EVERY* TIME? WILL SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN TO THESE ISLAMISTS WHAT TROLLING IS?)

He also said the film was produced in English and that he did not know who had dubbed it in Arabic.

The full film has not been shown yet, he said, and he said he has declined distribution offers for now.

The two-hour movie, "Innocence of Muslims'', cost $5m to make and was financed with the help of more than 100 Jewish donors, said Bacile.

smfh, the same day i bent over backwards to defend yall on the IC lol way to go Jewish ppl

OMFG, this clown is gonna make 200 hours worth of film on the prophet Mohammed???? DAAAAAMMMMMNNNNN lol see as bad as this guy is, why are Muslims even paying attention to this fool? He's a troll looking for attention, and because he's American AND Jewish, he's gona get quadruple the attention he expected. I guarantee you these protests will spread, and don't be shocked if American politicians make it some kind of crime to criticize the prophet Mohammed in about 10 years. More Americans will be dead before the week is over, let's see if the Marines being sent to protect the embassy in Libya make a difference.

And LOL at your comment about Jewish people, you know Jews don't give a ? when it comes to Muslims. You see how often they steal their land and destroy Palestinian homes, their gangsta is supreme in the Middle East and their gangsta is supreme here in America as well.
  • heyslick
    heyslick Members Posts: 1,179
    Options

Of course, it's obvious. The avg American without a doubt has little respect for Muslim and Arab people, just listen to talk radio here in liberal NYC, you'd be surprised at what you hear. The guy who made this film, Bacile, said he made this film to prove a point about Muslims but the funny thing is Western nations are committing more acts of violence against Muslim people than the other way around, hence the violence we see at the consulate. I can't believe it got burnt to the ground, WOW

This has been going on forever and ever - they just get NOT GET ALONG - HOTDAMN! SO how's that tribal mentality working out - how's that so-called peaceful religion working out? DAMN-IT these uncivilized ? are ALWAYS fighting - & whenever some people come to America they see we aren't that terrible nation of people who hate on them - most/the majority of Americans just want them to get along - WTF is wrong with that premise? tribes fighting with another tribes elders fighting with other tribal elders - DAMN!!!!!! one set of rebels fighting with another faction of rebels HOW IN THE ? can civility exist with that kind of mentality?

• kingblaze84
    edited September 2012
    Options
    heyslick wrote: »

This has been going on forever and ever - they just get NOT GET ALONG - HOTDAMN! SO how's that tribal mentality working out - how's that so-called peaceful religion working out? DAMN-IT these uncivilized ? are ALWAYS fighting - & whenever some people come to America they see we aren't that terrible nation of people who hate on them - most/the majority of Americans just want them to get along - WTF is wrong with that premise? tribes fighting with another tribes elders fighting with other tribal elders - DAMN!!!!!! one set of rebels fighting with another faction of rebels HOW IN THE ? can civility exist with that kind of mentality?

I hear you but until our foreign policy changes, they will continue to hate us. The film the idiot made was the stab wound to an already open sore. As far as Muslims constantly fighting each other in so many areas, I won't make any excuse for that. It's a troubled region for sure, and the sooner we stay away from that part of the world, the better. We have to try a different approach to the Middle East, supporting everything Israel does and vetoing UN resolutions that condemn settlement building is NOT the best way to gain popularity among Muslims and Arabs lol.

If people want to act like savages over a film, fine. Time to let the Middle East (including Israel) go one way and America another way.
  • cainvelasquez
    cainvelasquez Members Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So despite us "helping" the Libyans get rid of the dictator Gaddafi, and the American govt NOT making this video of the prophet Mohammed being made fun of (and supposedly depicted having sex with animals in the Youtube video), it looks like America's reputation is still in the gutter over there.

America supported rebels, jihadists and thieves. As long as their your rebels, i guess it is okay. But as soon as the internal enemy is decimated(ghadafi), the rebels will look for an outside enemy. Pretty easy to choose America.
  • kingblaze84
    Options

America supported rebels, jihadists and thieves. As long as their your rebels, i guess it is okay. But as soon as the internal enemy is decimated(ghadafi), the rebels will look for an outside enemy. Pretty easy to choose America.

BINGO!!!! And Israel wants us to set deadlines and redlines on an attack on IRAN??? BWAHAHAHAHAHA America is definitely not gona go to war with Iran now, Israel is on its own. At least before election time....
  • down2earth
    down2earth Members Posts: 953 ✭✭✭
    Options
    This stuff happening right before the election and right after 9/11? Yea...some ? is about to go down. I just hope that if Obama gets elected he brings troops home instead of redirecting their ? to Libya on some peacekeeper ? . Extremists (on all sides) will ? up everything for everyone, and this is no different. I peeped this this morning while I was at work. Let's see how this gets "handled".
  • Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2012
    Options
    We can't be brash about this. Folks want to point out Americas support for extremist, but some of the very people in here that supported OWS supported the Arab Spring by proxy and with good cause. We can't let these fools throw us off our game of supporting democracy even if we don't like the people who are elected, which by the way, condemned these events. It's like other countries blaming all of America for the stupid ? many of our politicians believe.

We can't let that wack ass minister off the hook for this but we can't show that there was good cause to do what they did by doing them even worse like Romney's ? is preaching. He's facing backlash for his divisive statements in the face of American deaths even now. Those who died took a dangerous job in a shaky environment and we shouldn't diminish their efforts to maintain peaceful diplomacy. Also, notice that Obama still ? on Israel as recently as not meeting with Sharad, so the Zionist will not catch a W with this.

This appears to be coordinated so I'm thinking that Al-qaeda or the like is attempting to throw democracy off by making us act reckless with these acts of violence.
  • Swiffness!
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Yeah I agree, this is playing into Romney's hands

Indeed it would, Kingblaze. If it were not for one.......little..........detail.

We are talking about the KWAME BROWN OF PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATES.

THIS DUDE IS A BONAFIDE SCRUB!

WASHINGTON -- On Wednesday morning, hours after the deaths of four U.S. diplomats, including the U.S. ambassador to Libya, Mitt Romney put his campaign on the line by attacking President Barack Obama and the besieged diplomats in the Middle East.

Okay. How did that go?

Mitt Romney's sharply-worded attack on President Obama over a pair of deadly riots in Muslim countries last night has backfired badly among foreign policy hands of both parties, who cast it as hasty and off-key, released before the facts were clear at what has become a moment of tragedy.

Whoops.

"They were just trying to score a cheap news cycle hit based on the embassy statement and now it’s just completely blown up," said a very senior Republican foreign policy hand, who called the statement an "utter disaster" and a "Lehman moment" — a parallel to the moment when John McCain, amid the 2008 financial crisis, failed to come across as a steady leader. "This is just unbelievable — when they decide to play on it they completely bungle it."

Whooooooops.

"It's bad," said a former aide to Senator John McCain's 2008 presidential campaign. "Just on a factual level that the statement was not a response but preceding, or one could make the case precipitating. And just calling it a 'disgrace' doesn't really cut it. Not ready for prime time."

A third Republican, a former Bush State Department official, told BuzzFeed, "It wasn't presidential of Romney to go political immediately — a tragedy of this magnitude should be something the nation collectively grieves before politics enters the conversation."

http://www.buzzfeed.com/bensmith/foreign-policy-hands-voice-disbelief-at-romney-cai

Oh and he was STUPID ENOUGH to SMILE and SMIRK during this speech like "Ha ha, I got you now Obama!"? Word?

romneywalksoff.jpg
    MittromneyFinalRemark.jpg

like wow how dumb is that, this dude srsly can't play chess to save his life

"One of the most craven and ill-advised tactical moves in this entire campaign" - Conventional Wisdom media hack Mark Halperin

"I've been inundated with emails and calls from elected GOP leaders who think Romney's response was a mistake. Not today." - Joe Scarborough

"Yesterday we noted that Mitt Romney, down in the polls after the convention, was throwing the kitchen sink at President Obama. Little did we know the kitchen sink would include -- on the anniversary of 9/11 -- one of the most over-the-top and (it turns out) incorrect attacks of the general election campaign." - Politico

“It’s disgraceful,” Romney’s statement, which was released late Tuesday night, read, “that the Obama administration’s first response was not to condemn attacks on our diplomatic missions, but to sympathize with those who waged the attacks.”

laff.giflaff.giflaff.gif

He has small hands! He can’t catch the ball! He’s got bad feet, he can’t really move, even though he’s mobile, he doesn’t really know what he’s doing! He doesn’t have a post move he puts to memory that he can do two times in a row! He has NO game whatsoever; plays no defense; doesn’t have the heart, the passion or anything that comes with it!

You have to respect the culture of the people you dealing with, just because you can do certain things here and nothing will happen doesn't mean you can do it everywhere. Its obvious the whole film thing was another lesson to Americans about their ignorance of other cultures.

Also Americans have plenty of free speech barriers. Go threaten the President and you will have Secret Service on your porch before the week is over. They have a right to set their own barriers of "free speech".

Threatening the President is prolly the ONE legit government-enforced "say this and you go to JAIL DO NOT PASS GO DO NOT COLLECT $200" free speech barrier we have in this country and unless you were, I dunno, writing "I WILL ? YOU" letters to Michelle Obama in yo own blood, you prolly won't actually do time. S.S not locking up teenage ? that post "? some plz assassinate Obama!" on they twitter.

Obv. free speech has limits (Fire in crowded theater, etc) but "blasphemy" shouldn't be one of them. "respect the culture"? Dawg ? basically sayin they want America to censor and outlaw films that insult Islam, I say ? that. Again, this ? amateur film hasn't even been released. Its basically WorldStarHipHop hood flick quality and protesters thought it was some big Hollywood production. Ignorance.
    irad4185 wrote: »
    I suppose that's a good sign. The Egyptian President is a pretty cool moderate dude, so he's more worried about the Muslim Brotherhood taking over than anybody else on Earth.

The Egyptian President is MB so why would he not want them to get more power?

Yeah but MB is so big you got different factions vying for power. I *could* turn out to be wrong about this, but Mohamed Morsi seems like he's head of a moderate wing of MB. I'm sure there are other extremist ppl in MB that basically make the Taliban look soft and THESE people prolly see "moderate" guys like Morsi as house ? basically, hence my comment. If Egypt blows up and turns into this crazy Islamist state, Morsi will be the first guy they stone to death.
  • jono
    Options
    Dude things are edited everywhere to fit their customs. Some random country a few years ago banned Bruce Almighty because it was blasphemous, you can't force change on people. Even if it is a low-brow medium, they have the right to edit and or not allow it.

Arizona was banning the use of certain reading materials last year (or earlier this year I forget) in public schools because they said it promoted an "anti-America" agenda. ? do this all the time.

I've never seen people who, for the most part, want to be isolated and left alone be bothered so much. If Iran or any other country wants to close its borders and be insulated then let 'em be. There's no sense on pushing our definition of free speech onto them.
  • rage
    rage Members Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    These Libyan ? done ? up...they got Beezy ? up. He's been putting a bunch of Al Queda ? in them vacants and covering them in lye for a minute now. Just last week and two months ago he dropped two high ranking dudes. He'll put some change on their heads any day now.
  • jono
    Options
    down2earth wrote: »
    This stuff happening right before the election and right after 9/11? Yea...some ? is about to go down. I just hope that if Obama gets elected he brings troops home instead of redirecting their ? to Libya on some peacekeeper ? . Extremists (on all sides) will ? up everything for everyone, and this is no different. I peeped this this morning while I was at work. Let's see how this gets "handled".

If Obama blinks or hesitates in any way to bend over to Israel he will be labeled anti-semetic and it will be all downhill from there.

One of Romney's biggest donors (Adleson) is a billionaire Jew who promotes free repatriation and visits for other Jews to Israel. This ? plays right into their hands. Adleson forced Paul Ryan to come kiss Adleson's ring the day after he accepted the VP spot.

Obama is the outside man on a circle ? , they need to find a weakness because talking about the economy is not working, and besides irrelevant social issues they got nothing. So they create an issue and force Obama to either acquiesce or lose the election. Yeah these ? playing chess alright.
  • Swiffness!
    Options
    Dude things are edited everywhere to fit their customs. Some random country a few years ago banned Bruce Almighty because it was blasphemous, you can't force change on people. Even if it is a low-brow medium, they have the right to edit and or not allow it.

Dude editing or not allowing a film in your country is totally different than rioting and killing people because of it OR demanding that the country of origin ban the film inside their country. This film has no distribution. It was never gonna be distributed in these Muslim countries. Its some Youtube ish. Not censoring art - even subversive, offensive art - is one of our customs. Word to Iran outlawing rap music. You can't force change on people, but you can't expect the whole world to censor everything to make sure it doesn't offend YOU. This is the Internet Age anyway, fully censoring anything is pretty much impossible in 2012. Like we said, these Islamophobe dudes are TROLLS. You don't deal with Trolls by flipping the ? out, that just makes them stronger. Its true on message boards and its true in real life.

btw what Arizona did was ban "K-12 ethnic studies classes on the grounds that they promote hatred and division"
This discussion has been closed.