• Ms.Scorp
    Ms.Scorp Members Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Cain1 wrote: »
    Ms.Scorp wrote: »
    i fit wrote: »
    First off call the IRS directly to see what exactly is going on. Afterwards call an attorney to take the garnishment off your records. Third have the attorney set up payments once you have payments setup payoff ASAP. You will and should have a clean record.

My cuz went thru this while working over seas for a couple of years. It helped him out.

Mr.Mitchell ,@Cain's post is the absolute best way to handle this situation.

I would like to take a moment and thank President Obama and my accountant for taking my 40k tax bill down to zero.

So I don't have to pay taxes.

Yeah I'm a Democrat but they tax the ? out of higher class income.

Me and my Husband get hit hard every paycheck.

Kimi you got to get a tax shield especially if you're in a high tax bracket. Look into starting a foundation or starting a scholarship program to get the IRS off your back. First thing though you need an accountant a good one who can handle your income.

A tax shield? I've never heard of it. My income up until 90k is tax free and everything you make over that they tax the ? out of.

I've heard about people starting organizations for the tax break. That's a good idea, I also need an accountant.

I always viewed that as something the wealthy had but it would be good to have someone take care of these matters while I'm overseas....
  • Ms.Scorp
    Options
    When it comes to ? like this I'm glad I can come on here and get guidance and feedback.

If I asked my real life friends about this ? they would be all in my finacial business...lol
  • MARIO_DRO
    MARIO_DRO Members Posts: 14,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    OHH LAWD... KIMI JUST GAVE MAX SOME NEW AMMO
  • Ms.Scorp
    edited September 2012
    Options
    EmM HoLLa. wrote: »
    Owing the IRS over 34k since 1998 and this just not catchin up to you is very suspect.. I owed them $700 and they just deducted it from my next income tax return.. Good luck with that...

They sent notice, they just sent it to an old address which was the last address they had on record.

I'm not upset about them taking the money, it is what it is.

I'm just worried about the after affects.
  • Ms.Scorp
    Options
    OHH LAWD... KIMI JUST GAVE MAX SOME NEW AMMO

Cool, maybe it will be funny this time...lol
  • Ms.Scorp
    Options
    Owing the IRS over 34k since 1998 and this just not catchin up to you is very suspect.. I owed them $700 and they just deducted it from my next income tax return.. Good luck with that...

They sent notice, they just sent it to an old address which was the last address they had on record.

I hear ya.. Just gotta make the necessary calls.. And educate yourself.. You should be fine.. Many people have had to deal with this before im sure..

True, I have on one else to blame.

I should've been on top of this. All I can do now is pay them and hope it doesn't hit my credit report...

I'm going to take cains advice as well and search for some things to give me tax breaks and look into getting an accountant.

Live and learn I guess.
    #-o
  • Ms.Scorp
    Options
    First off call the IRS directly to see what exactly is going on. Afterwards call an attorney to take the garnishment off your records. Third have the attorney set up payments once you have payments setup payoff ASAP. You will and should have a clean record.

My cuz went thru this while working over seas for a couple of years. It helped him out.

Mr.Mitchell ,@Cain's post is the absolute best way to handle this situation.

I would like to take a moment and thank President Obama and my accountant for taking my 40k tax bill down to zero.

So I don't have to pay taxes.

Yeah I'm a Democrat but they tax the ? out of higher class income.

Me and my Husband get hit hard every paycheck.

Kimi you got to get a tax shield especially if you're in a high tax bracket. Look into starting a foundation or starting a scholarship program to get the IRS off your back. First thing though you need an accountant a good one who can handle your income.

A tax shield? I've never heard of it. My income up until 90k is tax free and everything you make over that they tax the ? out of.

I've heard about people starting organizations for the tax break. That's a good idea, I also need an accountant.

I always viewed that as something the wealthy had but it would be good to have someone take care of these matters while I'm overseas....

If your combined income is over 150k range you're doing yourself a disservice if you don't have a tax shield started. Anything from like tithing in a church to as I stated earlier a foundation will help you out.

Yeah it's definitely above that range...I'm googling this ? as we speak.

You gave some great feedback!! I just have to convince my Husband now since our account and income is joint....lo
    l
  • Ms.Scorp
    Options
    Cain you should start a thread and share that knowledge!!
  • gorilla
    gorilla Members Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Had a run in with them before...back in 02. Met with the agent...she hit's me with some alternative way to make the situation go away.....? was so hit up I said ? that I'll take that bill

Good luck
  • a.mann
    a.mann Members Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2012
    Options

EDIT: Second thought.. I dunno how they tax money made over seas.. ? confusing...

the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion - IRS Form 2555
    that's what I failed to file,and literally paid the price for

Generally speaking, if you live and work outside of the United States, then you can exclude all or part of your foreign wages from US Fedral taxation. To qualify for the foreign earned income exclusion, you must work and reside outside the United States and meet either the Bona Fide or Physical Presence tests.
    If you qualify, you will be eligible to exclude up to $95,100 annually in foreign wages. The amount of the foreign earned income exclusion changes each year tho.

let me add:
    a "bona fide resident" of the foreign country is when you reside in that country for "an uninterrupted period that includes an entire tax year." A tax year is January 1 through December 31. The qualifying period for the bona fide residence test must include one full calendar year.

and the physical presence test is when you are considered physically present in a foreign country (or countries) if you reside in that country (or countries) for at least 330 full days in a 12-month period. You can live and work in any number of foreign countries, but you must be physically present in those countries for at least 330 full days
  • frostyicy
    frostyicy Members Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @Cain1 in here droppin jewels for real.....
  • i fit
    i fit Members Posts: 920
    Options

I hear ya.. Just gotta make the necessary calls.. And educate yourself.. You should be fine.. Many people have had to deal with this before im sure..

True, I have on one else to blame.

I should've been on top of this. All I can do now is pay them and hope it doesn't hit my credit report...

I'm going to take cains advice as well and search for some things to give me tax breaks and look into getting an accountant.

Live and learn I guess.
    #-o

Pretty sure if can speak to an IRS agent they'll be willing to not put this on your credit file if you make a full payment. Just make sure to have it in writing.
  • gorilla
    Options
    EDIT: Second thought.. I dunno how they tax money made over seas.. ? confusing...

....the biggest organized crime outfit in the world homie...the US gov
  • Ms.Scorp
    Options
    I'm going to call them and ask if they can remove it from my credit report if I make the whole payment. I'll pay all that ? off tomorrow if they let me do that.

A.Mann thats what they got me for, not filing that damn exclusion....
  • Ms.Scorp
    Options
    gorilla wrote: »
    Had a run in with them before...back in 02. Met with the agent...she hit's me with some alternative way to make the situation go away.....? was so hit up I said ? that I'll take that bill

Good luck

Yeah I'd rather pay them in full too, owing the Govt is not a good look...lol

• gorilla
    Options

Good luck

Surprisingly tho, they not as bad to work with as ppl think. Thing is gettin at them before they get at you. Once you get it paid, that ? can come of your credit reports easy. It was some law recently where paid liens don't have to stay on for 7 yrs.

damn you got me noided now, I might send they ass a check just on GP
  • MARIO_DRO
    MARIO_DRO Members Posts: 14,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    WELL ATLEAST YOU GOT THE MONEY TO PAY IT OFF...
  • a.mann
    a.mann Members Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2012
    Options
    I'm going to call them and ask if they can remove it from my credit report if I make the whole payment. I'll pay all that ? off tomorrow if they let me do that.

lol

a lot folks that worked and are working overseas are completely ignorant in this matter. The companies tell you but do not hammer home the importance of it .

5 - 10 years from now some people going to get one of those very same letters in the mail and their mouth will ? drop to the floor, cuz by then all the extra loot will be dried up

in hindsight I think I got off pretty easy
  • Ms.Scorp
    Options

Good luck

Surprisingly tho, they not as bad to work with as ppl think. Thing is gettin at them before they get at you. Once you get it paid, that ? can come of your credit reports easy. It was some law recently where paid liens don't have to stay on for 7 yrs.

damn you got me noided now, I might send they ass a check just on GP

lol....yeah it hit me out of nowhere. It's weird to just have them take your ? like that, the money YOU earned, they can just take it.....lol. I'm just praying that ? does not hit my credit
    [-O<
    WELL ATLEAST YOU GOT THE MONEY TO PAY IT OFF...

True, but it is still a financial blow. I won't pretend that amount of money won't be missed.

I was told that if you don't have the money in your bank account then they begin to garnish your wages and take your possessions.....
  • Ms.Scorp
    Options
    They froze 28k and I owe them 34k.

I'm going to see if I can make some type of settlement, I guess it won't hurt to ask.
  • gorilla
    Options
    They froze 28k and I owe them 34k.

I'm going to see if I can make some type of settlement, I guess it won't hurt to ask.

Hit em up and play that role.....telll em you got kids to feed and the whole 9. They should work out somethin, just make sure you do what you say you gonna do.
  • Ms.Scorp
    Options
    a.mann wrote: »

lol

a lot folks that worked and are working overseas are completely ignorant in this matter. The companies tell you but do not hammer home the importance of it .

5 - 10 years from now some people going to get one of those very same letters in the mail and their mouth will ? drop to the floor, cuz by then all the extra loot will be dried up

in hindsight I think I got off pretty easy

Absolutely, I think people just asuume that all the money we make over there is tax free when it's really only up to 95k.

I just gotta be more responsible, sometimes working over there you neglect ? and then things like this happen.

I can see this happening in the near future to a lot of people as well because a lot of people don't even bother filing taxes.
  • Ms.Scorp
    Options
    I also wonder if it would be better for me and my Husband to file separate, they combine our income and it puts us over the 200k mark so we both get taxed hard and never get any money back.
  • gorilla
    Options
    I also wonder if it would be better for me and my Husband to file separate, they combine our income and it puts us over the 200k mark so we both get taxed hard and never get any money back.

Same with my and the wifey.....? me off that you finally get to a point where you think you winnin only to have the crooked ass gov come in and remind you that you only a customer....