As a christian, is there a such thing as putting too much emphasis on christ?

Options
DRO
DRO Members Posts: 9,943 ✭✭✭
edited July 2010 in R & R (Religion and Race)
Meaning...

In church, speaking to ones self, praying, etc.. Christians call out on jesus for everything, more so than they do ? ...

? is to be worshipped and not jesus, right or wrong?

Yes jesus is the savior but ? is the creator and i know that you cant get to ? w/o going through
jesus.

So with that being said, is it a sin or bad to; how can i say this... Replace christ with ? ?

Comments

• konceptjones
    konceptjones Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Meaning...

In church, speaking to ones self, praying, etc.. Christians call out on jesus for everything, more so than they do ? ...

Yes jesus is the savior but ? is the creator and i know that you cant get to ? w/o going through
    jesus.

So with that being said, is it a sin or bad to; how can i say this... Replace christ with ? ?

And they wonder why most of their prayers go unanswered...

First and foremost, his name was not Jesus. If your name is Tom, and people try to get your attention by calling you "Brian", would you listen? No, because that is not your name. You may check over your shoulder to see who they're calling for, and only when you realize that someone was trying to speak to you will you respond, but generally you won't answer.

His name was Yeshua (PBUH). This is his name and He should be addressed as such. And don't run any garbage about translations or anything like that either: An American man named Michael will not respond to his Spanish translated name of Miguel.

Second, ? clearly states as one of his commandments: "(Exodous 20:3)Do not have any other gods before me". To call the name of another and to hold another holy IS the worship of another ? , irregardless of the semantics surrounding Yeshua's (PBUH) status as son of ? , or ? in the flesh. This is something He has made explicitly clear.

Third: You know that cross that the Christian holds as holy as well and prays to it? How about the statue of Mary that many pray to as well? That picture of "Jesus" (who, IIRC, is really Michaelangelo's brother)??? Yeah, ? also spoke out against that as well: "(Exodous 20:4-6)You shall not make for yourself an idol, whether in the form of anything that is in heaven above, or that is on the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I the Lord your ? am a jealous ? , punishing children for the iniquity of parents, to the third and the fourth generation of those who reject me, but showing steadfast love to the thousandth generation of those who love me and keep my commandments."

Knowing all of this (and there's so much more to go with this little tidbit), anyone can come to the conclusion that to pray to ANYONE other than ? is a sin.
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    DoUwant2go2Heaven Members Posts: 10,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Jesus Christ is ? my brother. Nobody can put enough emphasis on Jesus Christ. "As for me, may I never boast about anything except the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ" Galatians 6:14
  • judahxulu
    judahxulu Members Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    And they wonder why most of their prayers go unanswered...

First and foremost, his name was not Jesus. If your name is Tom, and people try to get your attention by calling you "Brian", would you listen? No, because that is not your name. You may check over your shoulder to see who they're calling for, and only when you realize that someone was trying to speak to you will you respond, but generally you won't answer.

His name was Yeshua (PBUH). This is his name and He should be addressed as such. And don't run any garbage about translations or anything like that either: An American man named Michael will not respond to his Spanish translated name of Miguel.

Second, ? clearly states as one of his commandments: "(Exodous 20:3)Do not have any other gods before me". To call the name of another and to hold another holy IS the worship of another ? , irregardless of the semantics surrounding Yeshua's (PBUH) status as son of ? , or ? in the flesh. This is something He has made explicitly clear.

Third: You know that cross that the Christian holds as holy as well and prays to it? How about the statue of Mary that many pray to as well? That picture of "Jesus" (who, IIRC, is really Michaelangelo's brother)??? Yeah, ? also spoke out against that as well: "(Exodous 20:4-6)You shall not make for yourself an idol, whether in the form of anything that is in heaven above, or that is on the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I the Lord your ? am a jealous ? , punishing children for the iniquity of parents, to the third and the fourth generation of those who reject me, but showing steadfast love to the thousandth generation of those who love me and keep my commandments."

Knowing all of this (and there's so much more to go with this little tidbit), anyone can come to the conclusion that to pray to ANYONE other than ? is a sin.

Bing! The nail has been hit on its head.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Meaning...

jesus.

I would have to agree that Christians put too much emphasis on Jesus. There is no doubt he should be revered. However, I'm not sure he should be put on the same level as ? . After all, Jesus never put himself on that level. Also there are these verses:

Mark 10: 17 As Jesus started on his way, a man ran up to him and fell on his knees before him. "Good teacher," he asked, "what must I do to inherit eternal life?" 18 "Why do you call me good?" Jesus answered. "No one is good—except ? alone.

Seems to me Jesus is rebuking a follower for praising him, and saying the praise should instead be shifted to ? . If Jesus would stop someone from simply calling him good, what do you think he would say about the amount of praise given to him by modern Christians?
  • DRO
    edited July 2010
    Options
    jesus christ is ? my brother. Nobody can put enough emphasis on jesus christ. "as for me, may i never boast about anything except the cross of our lord jesus christ" galatians 6:14

come on reggie bush lil brother...

Jesus is not ? , and u know it...
    Im not saying that jesus should be emphasised, but people (and you) actually think ? and jesus is the same and they're not...

Jesus even calls ? his father and jesus doesnt even know when the world will end, but his father does.
  • DRO
    edited July 2010
    Options
    i would have to agree that christians put too much emphasis on jesus. There is no doubt he should be revered. However, i'm not sure he should be put on the same level as ? . After all, jesus never put himself on that level. Also there are these verses:

mark 10: 17 as jesus started on his way, a man ran up to him and fell on his knees before him. "good teacher," he asked, "what must i do to inherit eternal life?" 18 "why do you call me good?" jesus answered. "no one is good—except ? alone.

seems to me jesus is rebuking a follower for praising him, and saying the praise should instead be shifted to ? . If jesus would stop someone from simply calling him good, what do you think he would say about the amount of praise given to him by modern christians?
    ...good ish
  • adagreat
    adagreat Members Posts: 679
    edited July 2010
    Options
    you say ur a christian, so how can you seperate the son and the father when they make up 2 thrirds of who ? really is?(son father and holy ghost) you sure ur not a jehovah witness?
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    edited July 2010
    Options
    come on reggie bush lil brother...

Jesus is not ? , and u know it...
    Im not saying that jesus should be emphasised, but people (and you) actually think ? and jesus is the same and they're not...

Jesus even calls ? his father and jesus doesnt even know when the world will end, but his father does.

1. The Bible clearly teaches that Jesus Christ is ? . It's called the trinity.

2. Knowingly and willingly Denying the deity of Christ really calls into account your salvation.

3. If you want understanding in regards to this issue, pray that the Lord will open up your heart, mind, and soul to this essential truth and then study His word to show yourself approved unto ? .
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    edited July 2010
    Options
    adagreat wrote: »
    you say ur a christian, so how can you seperate the son and the father when they make up 2 thrirds of who ? really is?(son father and holy ghost) you sure ur not a jehovah witness?

Excellent questions.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    If you can't follow the message how can you follow the messenger to get to ? ?
  • konceptjones
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Jesus Christ is ? my brother. Nobody can put enough emphasis on Jesus Christ. "As for me, may I never boast about anything except the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ" Galatians 6:14

Incorrect. The matter of whether Yeshua(PBUH) was, in fact, ? or man was decided BY MEN, not by The Divine. Prior to the convening of the First Nicaean Council, there were two beliefs regarding Yeshua(PBUH)

The first was that of Arius, a church leader from Egypt. This belief was that the concept of Christ is that the Son of ? did not always exist, but was created by, and is therefore distinct from and inferior to, ? . There were, and still are, many that follow this. Indeed the reach of this view was quite widespread throughout the Mediterranean, as his followers had influence there and beyond.

The second was that of Alexander of Alexandria, that Yeshua(PBUH) was the same as ? .

This matter was settled, so to speak, during the First Nicaean Council, convened in 325AD by the Roman Emperor Constantine. The debate over this raged on for over two months, with one famous incident where Nicholas of Myra (later known as St Nicholas... Then later known as Santa Clause) assaulted Aruis over the matter. Ultimately, the matter was settled (with Constantine's "influence", I might add) and the view of Alexander (later St Alexander) was adopted as mainstream.

To speak on something like this, you must first know the history of it. Without it, you can never say you "know" something to be true.
  • DRO
    edited July 2010
    Options
    adagreat wrote: »

bruh, i understand the trinity... But.. Did jesus not say that all men must come through him 2 get to the father... Ok

if thats the case, are youtelling me that i can knowingly pray to jesus christ, not even mention ? , and everything will be ok?
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Incorrect. The matter of whether Yeshua(PBUH) was, in fact, ? or man was decided BY MEN, not by The Divine. Prior to the convening of the First Nicaean Council, there were two beliefs regarding Yeshua(PBUH)

The first was that of Arius, a church leader from Egypt. This belief was that the concept of Christ is that the Son of ? did not always exist, but was created by, and is therefore distinct from and inferior to, ? . There were, and still are, many that follow this. Indeed the reach of this view was quite widespread throughout the Mediterranean, as his followers had influence there and beyond.

The second was that of Alexander of Alexandria, that Yeshua(PBUH) was the same as ? .

This matter was settled, so to speak, during the First Nicaean Council, convened in 325AD by the Roman Emperor Constantine. The debate over this raged on for over two months, with one famous incident where Nicholas of Myra (later known as St Nicholas... Then later known as Santa Clause) assaulted Aruis over the matter. Ultimately, the matter was settled (with Constantine's "influence", I might add) and the view of Alexander (later St Alexander) was adopted as mainstream.

To speak on something like this, you must first know the history of it. Without it, you can never say you "know" something to be true.
    Coming from a muslim, I would expect such things. Repent and believe the gospel my brother.
  • DRO
    edited July 2010
    Options
    1. The Bible clearly teaches that Jesus Christ is ? . It's called the trinity.

2. Knowingly and willingly Denying the deity of Christ really calls into account your salvation.

3. If you want understanding in regards to this issue, pray that the Lord will open up your heart, mind, and soul to this essential truth and then study His word to show yourself approved unto ? .

DOu....

1. Im not deny'n christ or who he is.. but Jesus is not ? .. plain and simple.. they are part of the trinity, but they are also different
    2. are you saying that it is OK to just pray to jesus and not ? ?
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    edited July 2010
    Options
    bruh, i understand the trinity... But.. Did jesus not say that all men must come through him 2 get to the father... Ok

if thats the case, are youtelling me that i can knowingly pray to jesus christ, not even mention ? , and everything will be ok?

Insert pupu iz dro where philip is.

"Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Shew us the Father?" John 14:9

When you pray to Jesus Christ, you are praying to ? . Jesus Christ is ? the Son and is Equal with ? the Father and ? the Holy Spirit. 1x1x1=1.
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    edited July 2010
    Options
    DOu....

1. Im not deny'n christ or who he is.. but Jesus is not ? .. plain and simple.. they are part of the trinity, but they are also different
    2. are you saying that it is OK to just pray to jesus and not ? ?

1. How do you explain Colossians 2:9. "For in Christ all the fullness of the Deity lives in ? form."
    How can Christ, who you say is not ? , have the fullness of Diety dwelling in Him then? If there is only 1 ? , how can this be?

2. When you pray in Jesus name, He is the intercessor between ? and man. Your praying to ? my friend.
  • DRO
    edited July 2010
    Options
    ... When people are in church and they say "thank you jesus"....

Is that not praising christ and not ? ?.... Honest question
  • DRO
    edited July 2010
    Options
    insert pupu iz dro where philip is.

"jesus saith unto him, have i been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, philip? He that hath seen me hath seen the father; and how sayest thou then, shew us the father?" john 14:9

when you pray to jesus christ, you are praying to ? . Jesus christ is ? the son and is equal with ? the father and ? the holy spirit. 1x1x1=1.

listen bro..

I understand the whole, you go through jesus to get to ? thing...
    But
    im talkin bout those that dont personally acknowlege ? the father and just mention/pray/talk to the son with out mention'n the father...is that a sin or not?
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    edited July 2010
    Options
    ... When people are in church and they say "thank you jesus"....

Is that not praising christ and not ? ?.... Honest question

"And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to ? and the Father by him." Colossians 3:17
  • DRO
    edited July 2010
    Options
    "and whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the lord jesus, giving thanks to ? and the father by him." colossians 3:17

once again, your example is including ? .. Im talkin just straight jesus the son, no mention of the father.
  • konceptjones
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Coming from a muslim, I would expect such things. Repent and believe the gospel my brother.

and that's where you ? up.

I'm not a Muslim in any way, shape or form.

I simply state historic fact. You have no facts to back you up and, like a typical Christian, when they're presented to you (everything I said can be researched and verified), all you do is say "well... I believe..."

That's nice... You believe... How about believing the TRUTH.

Truth: Yeshua(PBUH) was a Jew. He lived his life as a Jew, he prayed as a Jew, he died a Jew.
    Truth: Christians ignore this fact about Yeshua(PBUH) and concoct every excuse under the sun to NOT follow his teachings unless it happens to fit their lifestyle.
    Truth: The vast majority of the New Testament was written by a man that had a vested interest in the destruction of the Christian church. Yet you follow this man's teachings even though they completely usurp the teachings of Yeshua(PBUH) given to us while he was alive.

The Jew, Muslim, and Baha'i know of the corruption of the Christian Bible and try to persuade the Christian to follow that which has not been corrupted my man's hand. The Christian refuses and continues to place himself further from ? 's grace.
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    edited July 2010
    Options
    listen bro..

I understand the whole, you go through jesus to get to ? thing...
    But
    im talkin bout those that dont personally acknowlege ? the father and just mention/pray/talk to the son with out mention'n the father...is that a sin or not?

You have to understand that without Jesus Christ, there is no communication with the Father. Jesus Christ bridged the gap between the Father and humanity because He paid the penalty for our sins. If it wasn't for Jesus Christ dying for the sins of the world, we would all still be dead in our trespasses and sins, without hope in this world.
  • judahxulu
    judahxulu Members Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options

The Ebionites had it right. Paul is the origin of all this confusion. He's not a prophet or a priest yet his words have authority to folks. Weird wild stuff.
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    edited July 2010
    Options
    once again, your example is including ? .. Im talkin just straight jesus the son, no mention of the father.
    what are you talking about? The passage of scripture is telling you why people do everything in the name of Jesus Christ. When you do that, you are giving thanks to ? and the Father by Him. It's as simple as 2+2 my friend.
  • konceptjones
    edited July 2010
    Options
    judahxulu wrote: »
    The Ebionites had it right. Paul is the origin of all this confusion. He's not a prophet or a priest yet his words have authority to folks. Weird wild stuff.

^^^ Sees it.