ARE YOU GOING TO VOTE (Why or Why Not you Vote)and what propositions and candidate's you voting for

Options
waterproof
waterproof Members Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2012 in The Social Lounge
DO YOUR FAITH COMES IN WHEN YOU ARE VOTING ON AN ISSUE and talk about your local, state elections and the candidates that will effect your community, local. state.

I came from a family that believes in voting, and we grew up being taught how important voting is because my grandparents from the south i am talking about born in the late 1900's and early 20's on my mom side so they went through some ? .

Civil Rights was real big on my mom side, education, starting your own business because they was business owners and land owners. I remember my great aunt used to call my mother every election to make sure she voted.

but that's not the only reason why i vote the other reasons is to show respect to my ancestors, there are people who i do not know but was killed, lynched, beat, humiliated, terrorize for me to vote so to show respect to my elders before me, i vote to let them know that what they did for us as a people was not in vain.

when i was younger i used to believe that ? that my vote dont count that there are people controlling ? .

what a bunch of ? , ON A LOCAL LEVEL i KNOW DAMN SURE THAT MY VOTE ? COUNTS, YOU ? THAT COMPLAIN ABOUT THE Judicial SYSTEM, well that's what your ass get because every two years there's are laws that you have to vote on, you vote for Judges on the courts, vote on school issues, vote on taxes, and vote on LAWS.

YOUR VOTE ? COUNTS and if your county pass a law against your ass then you deserve what you get for not voting.

i started voting when i was 18 and i only missed one state. local election.

THIS LAW RIGHT HERE THAT MEANS ALOT , 3 Strikes law needs to be re-write and i am voting YES on PROP 36, it's a start but no the end of all to make sure the 3 strike law will only be for serious violent offenders, killers, ? , kidnappers, gang bangers who murder ect......

California Proposition 36, Changes in the "Three Strikes" Law (2012)

Proposition 36

Quick stats
Type: State statute
Referred by: Petition signatures
Topic: Law enforcement

Contents
1 Election results
2 Text of measure
2.1 Title
2.2 Summary
2.3 Fiscal impact
3 Support
3.1 Supporters
3.2 Arguments in favor
3.3 Donors
4 Opposition
4.1 Opponents
4.2 Arguments against
4.3 Donors
5 Editorial opinion
5.1 "Yes on 36"
5.2 "No on 36"
6 Polling information
7 Path to the ballot
8 External links
9 References

Proposition 36, a Change in the "Three Strikes Law" Initiative, is on the November 6, 2012 ballot as an initiated state statute.

If approved, Proposition 36 will modify elements of California's "Three Strikes" Law, approved by the state's voters in 1994. In 2004, voters rejected Proposition 66, which like the 2012 measure was an attempt to change some aspects of the original "Three Strikes" Law.

Proposition 36, specifically, will if enacted:
Revise the three strikes law to impose life sentence only when the new felony conviction is "serious or violent".
Authorize re-sentencing for offenders currently serving life sentences if their third strike conviction was not serious or violent and if the judge determines that the re-sentence does not pose unreasonable risk to public safety.
Continue to impose a life sentence penalty if the third strike conviction was for "certain non-serious, non-violent sex or drug offenses or involved firearm possession".

Maintain the life sentence penalty for felons with "non-serious, non-violent third strike if prior convictions were for ? , murder, or child molestation."

If Proposition 36 is approved by voters, approximately 3,000 convicted felons who are currently serving life terms under the Three Strikes law, whose third strike conviction was for a nonviolent crime, will be able to petition the court for a new, reduced, sentence. Reducing the sentences of these current prisoners could result in saving the state somewhere between $150 to $200 million a year.

Altogether, about 8,800 prisoners are currently serving life terms in California prisons under the 1994 law.[4]
24 states have a "Three Strikes"-type law.

Comments

• janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    i figure i have to vote as a protest against our congressional representation and then to weigh in on all the referendums this year. go team
  • Plutarch
    Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ^^^ why you gotta be so enigmatic??
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm voting for either Roseanne from the Green Party or Gary Johnson from the Libertarian Party for President. On the local elections, I'll be voting mostly with Democrats and Independents that support the legalization of medical marijuana and those who want to end the war in Afghanistan immediately, still doing research on who those people are.
  • kingblaze84
    Options
    janklow wrote: »
    i figure i have to vote as a protest against our congressional representation and then to weigh in on all the referendums this year. go team

Ok so who are you gona vote for again?
  • Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm voting on civil and environmental issues that affect all Americans and extensively all earthlings. I 'm voting for people that think nimbly yet pragmatically, with genuine compassion, and a realistic strategic approach to governing rather then selling catch points and rainbow dreams.
  • waterproof
    Options
    FuriousOne wrote: »
    I'm voting on civil and environmental issues that affect all Americans and extensively all earthlings. I 'm voting for people that think nimbly yet pragmatically, with genuine compassion, and a realistic strategic approach to governing rather then selling catch points and rainbow dreams.

@Furiousone can you give us some civil and enviromental issues that is on your ballot that you think is important that you going to vote on???
  • waterproof
    Options
    I'm voting for either Roseanne from the Green Party or Gary Johnson from the Libertarian Party for President. On the local elections, I'll be voting mostly with Democrats and Independents that support the legalization of medical marijuana and those who want to end the war in Afghanistan immediately, still doing research on who those people are.

@kingblaze84 what issues does Roseanne and Gary Johnson that caught your attention that deserve your vote and who are you leaning towards right now and why?
  • Plutarch
    Options
    Although I maintain a cynical attitude towards politics and voting, I still vote. Not because I feel compelled to do so because my family does or because of the civil rights movement (no disrespect). I vote simply because i want to actively participate in the future of my nation/community.

My faith is or should be the most important thing in my life, let alone in voting, so as "good Christian" I guess I was supposed to vote Romney. But imo 1. Republicans generally exploit Christianity. 2. Republicans are hypocritical/? -poor Christians. 3. For better or for worse, ? gave us freedom, and this is partially the reason why America is a nation of liberty and claims separation of church and state. 4. You can't force "nonbelievers" to be Christians by having them obey laws derived from Christianity. It doesn't work, and when it does, it's disingenuous.

This is the second presidential election in which I'm eligible to vote, and I voted for Obama again. This time around Obama wasn't my initial choice, but my initial choice didn't make the final cut, and Obama, save for his foreign policy and some of his economic polices, appears to be a good candidate, so I voted for him. Though at the time I was somewhat disappointed in myself for not knowing as much as I should have probably known about some of the other presidential candidates. I do hope to get more involved in local, state, and county elections though.
  • Plutarch
    Options
    Much to my embarassment, there were also five local amendments up for voting that took me by surprise.

1. The first one wanted to lift the requiremnt that government officials should have only one job in the government so that they could also work part-time jobs for the election. I voted against it because I wanted others to have the chance to work those jobs and because I didn't want government officials possibly intefering in the election process.

2. The second one wanted to lift the requirement that the director of the department of public works should be a licensed engineer. I voted against it because that requirement seems important and such a job position shouldn't so inclusive to the general public.

3. The third one wanted to expand the powers of the sheriff's office, including the previously unauthorized power to question and "process" people are arrested, imprisoned, or taken into custody. I voted against it because the police, at least metro police, already seem to have enough power as it is. I'll be damned if I let the police here do my city like the NYPD does NYC. I'm not trying to see anything like NYC's Stop and Frisk rule over here.

The next two were just issues of semantics.

4. The fourth wanted to change rename the "school mothers' patrol division" of metro police to "school crossing gaurd division." I voted for it. Seemed reasonable and less sexist to me.

5. The fifth wanted to take out "storm sewers" as a job duty for the department of public works and put in "the construction, operation, and maintenance of stormwater facilities" as a job duty for the department of water and sewage services. I voted for it. Seemed reasonable to me. I'm not even sure why "storm sewers" was a valid job duty desciption in the first place.

So I guess I voted conservatively when it came to the big amendments because I voted against all the changes. Hm.
  • Plutarch
    Options
    I agree for the most part that votes do count and voting is important, but I wouldn't be too critical of those who don't vote. Of course, we have the convicts who can't even vote if they wanted to (which I think is ? ). But some people just don't care or don't believe in government at all. I don't agree with those people, but that's their prerogative and I can respect it, especially if they genuinely and consistently adhere to those beliefs. But still, others are too ignorant and/or pessimistic to vote. Some people don't know who stands for what or even how to register. And then you have the media that passes ? as truth. It's these people that really need help in understanding that voting can be a good thing. It seems that most of these people are young though because everytime that I vote, all I see is old people everywhere. A ? was feeling mad uncomfortable in a room full of old white people when I was voting.
  • desertrain10
    desertrain10 Members Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2012
    Options

another wasted vote. smh.....but i guess your making a statement, right? lol. don't get me wrong, the third party is a noble idea just not a workable one at this time. you may not be a big fan of obama or mittens but voting 3rd party is exactly the same as casting your vote for the major party candidate you like the least. and i promise you mittens is not obama, he's worst....

anyways I 'm from michigan and i'm voting for obama and democrats own ballot....

i'm also voting in favor of prop 2 which would amend Michigan's constitution to grant public and private sector employees the right to organize and collectively bargain through unions.

voting no on prop 1, michigan does not need fascist Emergency managers to be appointed by a governor we may not even have vote for to take over our local governments and overthrow our elected officials. ? dat...

yes on prop 3, which requires electric utilities to provide at least 25% of their annual retail sales of electricity from renewable energy sources, which are wind, solar, biomass, and hydropower, by 2025.

voting no on prop 5. if passed it locks in current tax rates for the rich and makes it impossible to raise their taxes for new revenue....

voting yes on prop 6. then it would require a statewide and local vote before any new bridges and tunnels could be built between Michigan and Canada

• Jabu_Rule
    edited November 2012
    Options
    waterproof wrote: »

@Furiousone can you give us some civil and enviromental issues that is on your ballot that you think is important that you going to vote on???

Nothing locally. NY has passed many progressive measures already. We even have legal ? marriage and a more relaxed drug policy of at least not jailing a ? with a small amount of weed. I also see this president changing his perspective and approach on many issues for the better without the pressure of reelection looming. I'm all about reelecting the president so he can continue his sound centrist policies and change the way this country functions with intelligent public policy. A fiscally intelligent approach to Healthcare with concern for the citizens and business, scientific exploration into sound energy and environmental policies, and lean yet effective government is what i want this country to continue to reach for. Really, dude is just being real about most things and handling situations with forward thinking intelligence because change doesn't happen overnight, but you have to start somewhere. My vote is symbolic because NY is in the bag but still, i rather not take chances. Many may not be able to vote because of natural events and if everyone was complacent, then no one would vote.
  • waterproof
    Options

another wasted vote. smh.....but i guess your making a statement, right? lol. don't get me wrong, the third party is a noble idea just not a workable one at this time. you may not be a big fan of obama or mittens but voting 3rd party is exactly the same as casting your vote for the major party candidate you like the least. and i promise you mittens is not obama, he's worst....

anyways I 'm from michigan and i'm voting for obama and democrats own ballot....

i'm also voting in favor of prop 2 which would amend Michigan's constitution to grant public and private sector employees the right to organize and collectively bargain through unions.

voting no on prop 1, michigan does not need fascist Emergency managers to be appointed to take over our local governments and overthrow our elected officials. ? dat...

yes on prop 3, which requires electric utilities to provide at least 25% of their annual retail sales of electricity from renewable energy sources, which are wind, solar, biomass, and hydropower, by 2025.

voting no on prop 5. if passed it locks in current tax rates for the rich and makes it impossible to raise their taxes for new revenue....

voting yes on prop 6. then it would require a statewide and local vote before any new bridges and tunnels could be built between Michigan and Canada

@desertrain10, correct me if i am wrong, but those republicans was damn near fascist like putting prop 1 in place this year in one of the communities in Michigan with out being voted on the by voters in the district, Ed Shultz had a show on that ? , i was glad that the community round up some votes to get that on the list for voting. KEEP US UPDATE on election day!!!!!
  • Jabu_Rule
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Plutarch wrote: »
    I agree for the most part that votes do count and voting is important, but I wouldn't be too critical of those who don't vote. Of course, we have the convicts who can't even vote if they wanted to (which I think is ? ). But some people just don't care or don't believe in government at all. I don't agree with those people, but that's their prerogative and I can respect it, especially if they genuinely and consistently adhere to those beliefs. But still, others are too ignorant and/or pessimistic to vote. Some people don't know who stands for what or even how to register. And then you have the media that passes ? as truth. It's these people that really need help in understanding that voting can be a good thing. It seems that most of these people are young though because everytime that I vote, all I see is old people everywhere. A ? was feeling mad uncomfortable in a room full of old white people when I was voting.

Felons can vote in most states if they are off of parole or probation. Some states make you go through hoops while there are a few that block vote completely from certain types of felonies.

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1553510,00.html.
  • desertrain10
    Options

voting no on prop 1, michigan does not need fascist Emergency managers to be appointed to take over our local governments and overthrow our elected officials. ? dat...

@desertrain10, correct me if i am wrong, but those republicans was damn near fascist like putting prop 1 in place this year in one of the communities in Michigan with out being voted on the by voters in the district, Ed Shultz had a show on that ? , i was glad that the community round up some votes to get that on the list for voting. KEEP US UPDATE on election day!!!!!

yep.... they appointed an emergency manager over my city and they've pretty much targeted predominantly black communities before the law was overturned and put up for a vote ....

i'll keep you posted though
  • ImTheKangRoundHere
    ImTheKangRoundHere Members Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ‎92 killed at American embassies under Reagan.
    33 killed at American embassies under Bush.
    4 killed at American embassies under Obama.
  • BlackAX410
    BlackAX410 Members Posts: 35,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    nah not votin cuz iont care bout politics my mom mad at me but idc
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes, mostly democrat.
  • Plutarch
    Options
    Oh yeah, I also voted Democratic across the Congressional board. But I still wish I would've done more research on other candidates/parties.

Heh this again. I just can't cosign this or this kind of mindset. If someone doesn't believe in either Democratic or Republican candidate but believes in another candidate, then he should have the right to vote for that candidate without being criticized. The point of voting is simply to choose a candidate whom you feel best represents your ideal America right? Who is to say that that particular candidate is going to be Republican or Democrat for everyone?

I myself was close to not voting for Obama because I think that his foreign policy is horrendous (which is probably why kingblaze is not voting for him, and I dont blame him). But since I like his other policies, I didn't have too much problem voting for him. But I wasn't going to vote for him just because I don't like Romney. That's weak imo. As weak as all these white racists voting for Romney because they hate Obama. Plus, something tells me that you're calling his vote a wasted opportunity just because he's not voting for your candidate. I doubt that you would be as concerned if he was considering voting for Romney. And who's to say that he's wasn't? Hating on third party voters because you can't use them as a means to your preferred end is pretty disingenuous to me.

/Rant.

Felons can vote in most states if they are off of parole or probation. Some states make you go through hoops while there are a few that block vote completely from certain types of felonies.

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1553510,00.html.

Oh? Didn't know that. Good looking out.
  • ShencotheMC
    ShencotheMC Members Posts: 26,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just got my stuff from the voter registration commission and they said my registration was late. I woulda voted Obeezy anyways so *shrugs*
  • waterproof
    edited November 2012
    Options
    to touch on @Plutarch and @desterian10 on @kingblaze84 as an independent voter i have to agree with the two on it being a wasted vote.

The point is let's be realistic the vote is not going to count and will not change the outcome of one of the 2 candidates winning the election. The most effective way for us indepedent voters to make a statement and have a chance of winning is finding a independent candidate that's running in school, local and state elections....As here in california the green party won some elections for school board and city council, that's a start.

and we should come together and get them on the big stage to be including at the presidental debates, I have vote for a green, libertarian, republican and democrat before at the state and local elections but a stage big as this with the stakes this high, i will not go third. I gave Romeny a open ear and only agree with him on 2 things that caught my ear as a independent but i cant vote for him because he have no back bone and do not know what the hell he really standing for......

so i am going for OBAMA at least i know what i'm going to get
  • Plutarch
    Options
    to touch on @Plutarch and @desterian10 on @kingblaze84 as an independent voter i have to agree with the two on it being a wasted vote.

The point is let's be realistic the vote is not going to count and will not change the outcome of one of the 2 candidates winning the election. The most effective way for us indepedent voters to make a statement and have a chance of winning is finding a independent candidate that's running in school, local and state elections....As here in california the green party won some elections for school board and city council, that's a start.

and we should come together and get them on the big stage to be including at the presidental debates, I have vote for a green, libertarian, republican and democrat before and state and local elections but a stage big ass this with the stakes this high, i will not go third. A gave Romeny a open ear and only agree with him on 2 things that caught my ear as a independent but i cant vote for him because he have no back bone and do not know what the hell he really standing for......

so i am going for OBAMA at least i know what i'm going to get

fair enough. and i mostly agree.

i could say more, but i'm not trying to split hairs. and i think that we all have already spoken on this issue to death in that one thread.
  • desertrain10
    Options
    Oh yeah, I also voted Democratic across the Congressional board. But I still wish I would've done more research on other candidates/parties.

Heh this again. I just can't cosign this or this kind of mindset. If someone doesn't believe in either Democratic or Republican candidate but believes in another candidate, then he should have the right to vote for that candidate without being criticized. The point of voting is simply to choose a candidate whom you feel best represents your ideal America right? Who is to say that that particular candidate is going to be Republican or Democrat for everyone?

I myself was close to not voting for Obama because I think that his foreign policy is horrendous (which is probably why kingblaze is not voting for him, and I dont blame him). But since I like his other policies, I didn't have too much problem voting for him. But I wasn't going to vote for him just because I don't like Romney. That's weak imo. As weak as all these white racists voting for Romney because they hate Obama. Plus, something tells me that you're calling his vote a wasted opportunity just because he's not voting for your candidate. I doubt that you would be as concerned if he was considering voting for Romney. And who's to say that he's wasn't? Hating on third party voters because you can't use them as a means to your preferred end is pretty disingenuous to me.

/Rant.

lol... unclench bruh

i am nothing more than a realist

as i previously stated a third party is a noble idea just not a workable one at this time.... voting 3rd party is exactly the same as not voting, or voting for the candidate that represents ur interest the least

vote for obama or by all means vote for romney....just make sure you vote and vote responsibly..

*shrugs*

• GodNThaBuild'n
    GodNThaBuild'n Members Posts: 8,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Which ever way you vote America will still be broke
  • kingblaze84
    edited November 2012
    Options

@kingblaze84 what issues does Roseanne and Gary Johnson that caught your attention that deserve your vote and who are you leaning towards right now and why?

Both Roseanne and Gary Johnson are against the war in Afghanistan and want it ended quickly, and their support of legalizing marijuana is enough to grab my vote. I'd say I'm leaning towards Roseanne because she was never a Republican, and Republicans are rarely good in my book, although I do have respect for Ron Paul. But those two issues are clinchers for me, and that's why I'm gona stick to voting 3rd party.