Can we agree that Janklow needs to have his guns taken away now?

Options
Swiffness!
Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
This guy had a .223 caliber rifle? Get rid of em all. Go door to door and take EVERYONE's guns. Only way to prevent this from happening ever again.

Discuss.

Comments

• Young_Chitlin
    Young_Chitlin Members Posts: 23,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • waterproof
    waterproof Members Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2012
    Options
    some people need guns to keep their jaw from getting cracked but i got a gun because i travel alot with my family and there is some racist ass towns in america and you will be suprised and you will never know when you have to defend yourself and your family, i take my burner everywhere i go and also to protect my house and family....
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    First I wanna hear how this guy got his guns.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I doubt Alexander Hamilton and company wrote the 2nd Amendment to give people the opportunity to shoot up schools, workplaces, religious institutions, and/or each other. I doubt any of them even believed it would be possible to murder 30 people in a matter of seconds. The most dangerous weapon during their time was a cannon, and people didn't have those in their house.

In any event, regardless of historical context. Its up to the people who are living right now to make the decision about what kind of weaponry is acceptable in OUR society. That debate should be long, harsh and feelings should be caught but the conversation needs to be had.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Swiffness!
    Options
    really?

so then that would leave... just the cops, crooks and allied powers with guns...
    no yeah... i can dig it... then we all walk around in kimono's and get fined for swearing... hell yeah.. i can dig it.!

Don't forget to ban chocolate, uneducational toys and anything spicy.
  • earth two superman
    Options
    Weapons used in shooting were legally purchased and registered to gunman's mother, law enforcement officials tell NBC News

uh oh....
  • BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    We got guns laws all up and down Canada, doesn't stop the ? heads from obtaining them and doing bad ? with them.
  • Plutarch
    Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2012
    Options
    .IRS. wrote: »
    We got guns laws all up and down Canada, doesn't stop the ? heads from obtaining them and doing bad ? with them.

But Canada is no where near as bad as America though right?
  • Plutarch
    Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    really?

so then that would leave... just the cops, crooks and allied powers with guns...
    no yeah... i can dig it... then we all walk around in kimono's and get fined for swearing... hell yeah.. i can dig it.!

was going to give you a LOL but gave you a GOAT for the sig pic.
  • Swiffness!
    edited December 2012
    Options
    rifle was found in the car unfired, he did this ? w/ 2 handguns

ban handguns, send SWAT teams to every gun owners house to confiscate them all, problem solved

word to bob costas
  • BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Plutarch wrote: »
    .IRS. wrote: »

But Canada is no where near as bad as America though right?

True, but guns laws don't necessarily stop illegal things from happening. And imo even if they did implement gun rules and regulations, there is still gonna be so many guns unaccounted for that have been produced it would seem like a useless effort not worth the cost. Maybe if there had been these guns laws from the hop, possibly.
  • handsomejames
    handsomejames Members Posts: 3
    Options
    We just need to take ? 's jenkem away then.

Hello Cotten Fields. How are you?
  • unspoken_respect
    unspoken_respect Members Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It can be done with magic. That's all it takes. Where are you going to get some magic? I don't know.
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    Swiffness! wrote: »
    This guy had a .223 caliber rifle? Get rid of em all. Go door to door and take EVERYONE's guns. Only way to prevent this from happening ever again. Discuss.
    Swiffness has the WORST ideas. i am going to go hug my .223 rifles now.
    jono wrote: »
    I doubt Alexander Hamilton and company wrote the 2nd Amendment to give people the opportunity to shoot up schools, workplaces, religious institutions, and/or each other.
    i doubt anyone pro-gun is arguing "the Second Amendment gives us the right to shoot up schools." in fact, i would go so far as to claim this is an intellectually lazy claim that's meant to appeal to emotions over an ACTUAL argument.
    jono wrote: »
    Its up to the people who are living right now to make the decision about what kind of weaponry is acceptable in OUR society. That debate should be long, harsh and feelings should be caught but the conversation needs to be had.
    you know, this "we need to have this debate" thing is ALSO bogus. because what it really means is "i'm someone who wants more gun control, but even though this debate HAS been had over the years, given the various back-and-forth of legislation and court decisions on the issue, i want to pretend that we've never really discussed it."
    Weapons used in shooting were legally purchased and registered to gunman's mother, law enforcement officials tell NBC News
    not to mention that Connecticut is a state that:
    --has an assault weapon ban;
    --has permit requirements to obtain handguns
    Swiffness! wrote: »
    rifle was found in the car unfired, he did this ? w/ 2 handguns
    i think they're going to go back and forth on this for days, because i hear now that he DID use a rifle. so who the ? knows.
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nah we shouldn't ban guns, you want just criminals and the govt to have them? We'd all be like sheep waiting to be slaughtered. What we really have to do is evaluate why we have such a violent culture. Americans are raised thinking violence is the answer to all our problems, just look at how the govt solves its problems.....we gota evaluate our violent culture before anything.
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    DoUwant2go2Heaven Members Posts: 10,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nah we shouldn't ban guns, you want just criminals and the govt to have them? We'd all be like sheep waiting to be slaughtered. What we really have to do is evaluate why we have such a violent culture. Americans are raised thinking violence is the answer to all our problems, just look at how the govt solves its problems.....we gota evaluate our violent culture before anything.

As long as Jesus Christ is not involved in the evaluation, right?

• Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2012
    Options
    I don't think even Mental Health reform would solve this issue. Unlike others, this dude had the money and means to seek treatment. Even then, sometimes psych drugs don't work on the worst cases. Dude was a social outcast who hated everyone and never attempted to fix himself. You actually have to admit that there is a problem (if this nut even noticed reality) and go willingly or be forced to get help. Forcing people to seek therapy or even openly admitting to you have Mental problems (even when it's overt like this emo dude) is looked upon as negative. He just wanted to wallow in his sorrow and the ? decided to do something memorable instead of just taking himself out. He prob would have found a way to make a bomb out of his own ? if guns weren't available.
  • Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2012
    Options

Because church freaks don't commit heinous acts right? Interesting how this ? doesn't happen as often in less culturally christian countries. triple C's..
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You're an idiot plain and simple. America is a mostly Christian nation. And guess what dumb ? ? Christian nations have some of the highest rates of violence in the world, word to USA and Mexico!!!! Sit the ? down ? .
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    DoUwant2go2Heaven Members Posts: 10,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You're an idiot plain and simple. America is a mostly Christian nation. And guess what dumb ? ? Christian nations have some of the highest rates of violence in the world, word to USA and Mexico!!!! Sit the ? down ? .

LOL @ America being a christian nation. America is a free nation that allows any and all "gods" to be worshiped freely.

America stopped being a somewhat "christian nation" when ? was forced out of every facet of public life, such as schools in the 60's.

Funny how you didn't hear about mass school shootings prior to the turn of the century after a generation of kids had been raised without prayer, bible study, and the mediation of ? in school.

But you go head and keep living in your little bubble, oblivious to the facts my friend.
  • jono
    Options
    janklow wrote:
    i doubt anyone pro-gun is arguing "the Second
    Amendment gives us the right to shoot up schools."
    in
    fact, i would go so far as to claim this is an intellectually
    lazy claim that's meant to appeal to emotions over an
    ACTUAL argument.

Considering I didn't say that they would, in fact I'm certain they won't. What I am saying is that these laws have to fit THIS timeframe and you can't rely on antiquated "constitutional" thinking to deal with current problems. You do an awesome job of cherry picking arguments I've noticed.
    Janklow wrote:
    you know, this "we need to have this debate" thing is
    ALSO bogus. because what it really means is "i'm
    someone who wants more gun control, but even
    though this debate HAS been had over the years, given
    the various back-and-forth of legislation and court
    decisions on the issue, i want to pretend that we've
    never really discussed it."

I don't really need you to translate what I'm saying. I have no problem saying what I mean thank you. I also haven't said what needs to be done about guns yet (but gun control including a ban should be on the table). However we did just have an election with zero talk about these situations. Its never "the right time" and shootings still happen. There should also be little doubt that something needs to be done. Even "responsible" gun owners know that. Problem is that the gun manufacturers do all the talking when the NRA speaks, not the common member. Common members actually support many common sense regulations. A real debate involves the common responsible gun owner and everyone else. Not the NRA elites, who strangely enough, found the it necessary to protect "our" 2nd Amendment gun rights.....in Brazil.
  • jono
    Options
    There is no one solution. I don't think you'll find many that believes it is. But guns can't be ignored completely because it isn't possible to do this with many other weapons, you need either a gun or some type of explosive to do this kind of damage, that's just a fact that needs to be dealt with.

They tried the serial numbers but criminals found away around it. So now its time to try something else. I personally wouldn't lose any sleep over a ban, but its not my position to tell other people they can't have guns, my position is that people who have them prevent them from getting into the wrong hands, that goes for dealers as well. Part of the problem is the prevalence of them and another is the irresponsibility of those who possess and sell them.
    It seems that in a lot of cases one causes the other and then it becomes a cycle.

There's not much you can do about them once they hit the streets but as much as possible should be done to prevent them from going into the streets. To me, gun laws aren't a state issue, its a national one. Its more likely to be better for everyone if it was.

I understand there may be mental health issues at hand, in others there's anger management issues, societal issues, economic issues etc yes all that is at play all the time and people who have anger issues, mental health issues and suffer from extreme poverty etc don't always find guns to ? people with, however with the prevalence of guns they are increasingly picking up guns to take out whatever frustrations they have.
    I feel like we shouldn't jump through a bunch of hoops just because something like Sandy Hook happened, those occurrences should never happen but they do, and they are also relatively rare in the grand scheme of gun violence in America. We know Chicago and Detroit have gun problems that are much bigger and more prevalent that what goes on anywhere and because of that this needs to be dealt with nationally and something needs to be done to lower the amount of guns out here in the streets.
  • earth two superman
    Options
    Gun Control does not mean ban all guns. It never has.

And gun control is NOT a band aid. I think of it more as a flu shot. Maybe, just maybe, it can stop SOMEONE from getting killed. Will the flu shot stop you from getting the flu ever? of course not.

and dont tell me you need guns to protect yourself. The killers mom has a shitload of guns. shes dead as doorknob.

and honestly, I think the average gun owner, that likes to hunt or occasionally fire one off nh at the range, understands this. It just a small, vocal minority that doesnt want background checks or doesnt think that theres anything wrong that any idiot with cash can go to a gun show and buy anything he wants. ? think because a guy with a mental disorder is denied a gun, that its gonna cause a chain reaction and guns will be long gone. some of these idiots suffer from something i call osin syndrome, short for Oh ? I'm Next.