Could there EVER be another great black leader again?

Options

Comments

• kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Monizzle14 wrote: »
    In order to have a great African American leader to take up the reigns from Martin, Maloclm, Al, and Jesse, there has to be strong and unwavering African American supporters. The problem today is that we have mastered the "crab in the barrel" mentality. That, coupled with the idea that all things European are best, is why we struggle to have strong leadership in our communities and political arenas

Please don't put jessie jackson and al sharpton in the same sentence with Malcom or Martin. Al and jesse a bunch of hypocritical self seeking attention ? . Im sick of the Sharpton and Jacson old ass old school "civil rights" leaders because they aren't about civil rights at all.

Al and jesse only come to the main stage when a black person is affected by a white person in society. They not out in chicago talking about the civil rights of young children in chicago being victims of gun violence. They MIA ? forbid someone who is not black is a victim of civil rights. Screw them ? ? . The best thing about MLK is he didn't just stand for black folk rights he stood for human rights.

You're joking right? Al Sharpton and Jesse have been very involved on Black on Black crime. They have led PLENTY of marches and spoken out many times against shootings in Chicago and other areas. You gotta do some research, very disappointing post from you. Go to youtube and see for yourself, how old are you?
  • kingblaze84
    Options
    They already laid the blueprint. What we need another black leader for?

You can call it what you will leader, beacon.. blah blah they exist throughout the community

I see your point but honestly we need more black "leaders" in the household if anything.

I agree that would be a good start
  • chi-guy
    chi-guy Members Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    In order to have a great African American leader to take up the reigns from Martin, Maloclm, Al, and Jesse, there has to be strong and unwavering African American supporters. The problem today is that we have mastered the "crab in the barrel" mentality. That, coupled with the idea that all things European are best, is why we struggle to have strong leadership in our communities and political arenas

Please don't put jessie jackson and al sharpton in the same sentence with Malcom or Martin. Al and jesse a bunch of hypocritical self seeking attention ? . Im sick of the Sharpton and Jacson old ass old school "civil rights" leaders because they aren't about civil rights at all.

Al and jesse only come to the main stage when a black person is affected by a white person in society. They not out in chicago talking about the civil rights of young children in chicago being victims of gun violence. They MIA ? forbid someone who is not black is a victim of civil rights. Screw them ? ? . The best thing about MLK is he didn't just stand for black folk rights he stood for human rights.

You're joking right? Al Sharpton and Jesse have been very involved on Black on Black crime. They have led PLENTY of marches and spoken out many times against shootings in Chicago and other areas. You gotta do some research, very disappointing post from you. Go to youtube and see for yourself, how old are you?

Your right but they don't get a lot of respect. The older crowd show them a little love but for the most part everybody else see right thru them
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    Yeah other people spoke out for Trayvon's murder but not with the same passion Al Sharpton and Jesse had.
    honestly, i think that's a little bit of a subjective call
    I dont understand how ? have co-opted the hate of Al and jesse of white people...
    Real ? if Martin and Mlk came during these times they would be hated the same.. even more than they were then BY ?
    you know what seems to be the major difference? whatever negative things you can say about MLK or Malcolm, them coming off as having a streak of self-enrichment isn't one of them.

• kingblaze84
    edited December 2012
    Options
    chi-guy wrote: »

Your right but they don't get a lot of respect. The older crowd show them a little love but for the most part everybody else see right thru them

Yeah but few people can gather the crowds Al Sharpton and Jesse can. They're not perfect and have said dumb things but overall I respect them. And I'm 28 years old
  • chi-guy
    chi-guy Members Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yeah but few people can gather the crowds Al Sharpton and Jesse can. They're not perfect and have said dumb things but overall I respect them. And I'm 28 years old

True, they're like a necessary evil. For better or for worse, they're able to capture headlines and media attention for issues concerning blacks

Never met Mr. Sharpton but I've encountered Jesse many times and I respect what he does but i'm no fan of his. I've met his son too, he's a better leader then Jesse sr, it's just sad what he's going thru right now
  • blackamerica
    blackamerica Members Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The problem is the black youth has been dumbed down to the point they're leaders are Lil Wayne, Keef Chief or Trinidad James. Do really think somebody who listens to Trinidad James gives a ? about social injustice? If revolution comes is that really who we expect to fight for us? Lol.

Even if that weren't the case the media will tear down any black leader thats not part of the machine. Martin Luther King or Malcom X wouldn't exist in this era because Fox news, Government and websites would dissect them to the point nobody would care what they say
  • Plutarch
    Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Could there ever be another great black leader again? Of course, though the possibility might vary depending on your definition of "great." What would be his/her platform? Simply any of the major issue affecting blacks at the time. Pick your choice: crime, prisons, gangs, discrimination, etc.

Now, with that being said, I'm a little ambivalent when it comes to leaders, role models, heroes and such ilk. They're great and all, but when you have leaders, you also have followers. And followers can be a bad thing, especially when they're just blind followers and especially when their so-called leader dies or disappoints. MLK preached nonviolence and love, and what did people do when he was assassinated? They become violent and hateful and destroyed their own cities. We shouldn't have to rely too much on leaders. All adults need to get their act together and be their own leaders and handle their responsibilities and raise their kids right.

As for Jackson and Sharpton, I respect both men, but also have problems with both men (moreso Jackson), so neither of these guys come out looking like angels or extraordinarily great men imo. Jason Whitlock and the late, great Patrice O'neal touched on this during the whole Don Imus story (which shouldn't have been a story in the first place):

5:24+
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=fjIuPSuYSOY#t=324s

2:02+
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5ZQXaXmCW4&feature=player_detailpage&list=PL3D115C4186DFCA8B#t=124s
  • kingblaze84
    edited December 2012
    Options

True, they're like a necessary evil. For better or for worse, they're able to capture headlines and media attention for issues concerning blacks

Never met Mr. Sharpton but I've encountered Jesse many times and I respect what he does but i'm no fan of his. I've met his son too, he's a better leader then Jesse sr, it's just sad what he's going thru right now

Yeah it's very sad what Jesse Jackson Jr is going through, hopefully the brotha can pull himself up together. I wonder what the ? made him so depressed?? He seemed to be having a good life.....as far as Al and Jesse, I can forgive some of their past poor choice of words as long as they continue speaking out on injustices being faced by Black people, from the injustices being committed by White crackas and Blacks alike.
  • blakfyahking
    blakfyahking Members Posts: 15,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    man when I look at those videos of black people damn near rioting to buy Jordan 11s just this year

I don't even think a black leader can do ? about now

? is sad when you really think about it
  • janklow
    Options
    Yeah it's very sad what Jesse Jackson Jr is going through, hopefully the brotha can pull himself up together. I wonder what the ? made him so depressed??
    possible criminal charges can make you depressed. of course, it also means what you're going through isn't 100% sad, as it may be self-inflicted.
  • kingblaze84
    Options
    janklow wrote: »
    Yeah it's very sad what Jesse Jackson Jr is going through, hopefully the brotha can pull himself up together. I wonder what the ? made him so depressed??
    possible criminal charges can make you depressed. of course, it also means what you're going through isn't 100% sad, as it may be self-inflicted.

LOL yeah he did put a lot of this on himself......
  • kingblaze84
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Lil Loca wrote: »
    En-Fuego22 wrote: »
    We don't need a leader...We need an Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines,United, Not our oppressor Religion,etc....

This. People should be their own leaders and demand social change as a collective. Too often, leaders/spokespersons die, and so does the action that kept the movement strong right along with them.

Yeah definitely, people have to act in a unified manner in any way to create change. The Haitians freed themselves from the French in 1804 due to collective action, while Black slaves in America usually acted out too individually. What Haitians did against Napoleon and the French shows how collective action is always best.

• UrbanScribe
    UrbanScribe Members Posts: 394 ✭✭✭
    Options
    There will never be another successful and generally accepted Black leader until we as a people come together and embrass each other and allow each other to build.
  • SneakDZA
    SneakDZA Members Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Did anyone say Obama yet?
  • kingblaze84
    Options
    Did anyone say Obama yet?

True, Obama has been a great leader for Black people. He speaks on issues affecting the Black community all the time, from stop and frisk, homelessness, the drug laws and jail sentences affecting Blacks disproportionately more than anyone else to the lack of affordable housing in many communities. It's shocking no one has brought his name up here.

Obama also doesn't get enough credit for his many visits to Africa during his term in office so far.
  • WYRM
    WYRM Members Posts: 993 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Could there ever be another great black leader again? Seems the are implying Obama is a Great Black Leader. Yes there will always be Great Black Leaders Always, some more so than others. I also mean Great Black Leaders that lead us as American People as Human Beings.
  • Universalmindstate
    Universalmindstate Members Posts: 569 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2013
    Options
    You're right! Malcolm, Martin and maybe Farrakhan would of been great presidents, but are too pro-black for the white man to relate to.

I'm sure if Obama had full rights and control over enriching the economy he would, but behind the political scene his hands are tied.

He's only a spokes person for the United States( a puppet on a string) therefore, doesn't have the final decision on how the economy functions; big families like Rothschild, Rockefeller, car companies and bank operators and any other powerhouse company runs the show.

That's were a lot of people are fooled...thinking Obama has that kind of authority. And it'll be the same for the next black president as long as whites control all the money and connections.
  • janklow
    Options
    ...and maybe Farrakhan...
    no man that believes in crazy fictional spaceships would make a good president
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The only one who has the ability to be the great next leader would be Towers
  • Universalmindstate
    Options

Maybe, not sure about that. But the man has a lot of insight on worldly issues. If you haven't watched any of his videos, I suggest to find some time to sincerely watch a few of his speeches.
  • Universalmindstate
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Ajackson17 wrote: »
    The only one who has the ability to be the great next leader would be Towers

Not quite sure who Towers is, can you elaborate for me? Thanks!

Never mind, just discovered he's a ic member
  • kingblaze84
    Options

Maybe, not sure about that. But the man has a lot of insight on worldly issues. If you haven't watched any of his videos, I suggest to find some time to sincerely watch a few of his speeches.

True, Farrakhan is a very intelligent man. I'm always impressed by his videos and nine times out of ten, he tells the truth
  • janklow
    Options
    Maybe, not sure about that.
    look, if someone needs to make a ruling on this, i will: no man that believes in crazy fictional spaceships would make a good president.
    But the man has a lot of insight on worldly issues. If you haven't watched any of his videos, I suggest to find some time to sincerely watch a few of his speeches.
    i am familiar with Farrakhan's ... positions and have some various ... sentiments regarding him. so to be politic, i will simply rely on his most extreme absurdities --such as his belief in crazy fictional spaceships-- that make him unfit to be president.
  • Universalmindstate
    Options
    Maybe, not sure about that.
    look, if someone needs to make a ruling on this, i will: no man that believes in crazy fictional spaceships would make a good president.
    But the man has a lot of insight on worldly issues. If you haven't watched any of his videos, I suggest to find some time to sincerely watch a few of his speeches.
    i am familiar with Farrakhan's ... positions and have some various ... sentiments regarding him. so to be politic, i will simply rely on his most extreme absurdities --such as his belief in crazy fictional spaceships-- that make him unfit to be president.

I hear you.