"BRUCE LEE WAS NOT THE GREATEST MARTIAL ARTS MASTER OF ALL TIME" - Steven Segal

Options

Comments

• Ishi
    Ishi Members Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I agree but if i studied a garbage marital art such as Aikdo. I really wouldn't be calling anyone out.
  • The_Man
    The_Man Members Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? this bruce would ? any man up! he had alot of street fights but due to it being the 50's and 60's none were caught on camera, theres countless people that have witnessed it with their own eyes and say bruce destroyed many martial artists, on the set of enter the dragon he was ? up countless people that would challenge him during takes, the man ? his back up and was told he might never walk again by doctors, he did that lifting weights without warming up correctly not in a fight like it showed in the film on his life, only to come back stronger and faster than he ever was, his passion was fighting and to me he will always be the best..could he ever have been beat? possibly, no man is invincible.

im a hugh bruce lee fan loved his ? since i was a kid lol rant over.
  • perspective@100
    perspective@100 Members Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    we say bruce was fast because he was faster than the cameras that were being made at the time.

jeet kun do is a philosophy my ? , all these western "practitioners" be lying.
    it's basically telling you to be well rounded, dont stop at one art, take on multiple.
    how can multiple disciplines be called one discipline?

You say he was fast because of that. I say he was fast because of the reactions of every one in his demonstrations and all the interviews of people he actually sparred with say he was fast, not some camera tricks.

You cant try and win a debate by switching up semantics. Never said it was a discipline its more of an undisciplined approach to fighting. Its unorthodoxed and unconventional, its the style of motion in stillness. The reason you say its not an art is the very same reason it is. How can staying undisciplined not be a discipline? Just because you cant bottle something up does not mean it does not exist.

Yeah, the bold is basic. I see why someone would sum it up like that. Although, philosophy is usually more than surface deep and can be interpreted more than one way...
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • perspective@100
    perspective@100 Members Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    with all due respect, i dont buy into the Traditional Marital Arts mumbo jumbo.
    much like the bible its an outdated doctrine meant for a time when ? was drastically different than whats going on now.
    Self-Defense has evolved, and it's rhetoric should change as well.

Dont know how you will get much better than using everything you can to defeat your enemy...

• Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    rage wrote: »
    rage wrote: »
    Art-illery wrote: »
    The guy who made Steven ? on himself was "Judo" Gene LeBelle. That dude is a bas muthafucka... Pink Gi and all. He even tutored Ronda Rousey.

LeBelle was at a Segal demo and Segal thought he had another "super special move" to get out of choke hold. Lebelle put him in a rear naked, Segal started chopping at Lebelle's ? as his "special move"...after he got tired of doing that he went night night while ? himself.
    rofl!

Bruce Lee is the GOAT
  • waterproof
    waterproof Members Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2012
    Options
    I am going to put it like this, BRUCE LEE is a MASTER....HE'S A MASTER OF SELF.

BRUCE LEE Mentally, Physically and Spirtually went to a place that few have went and he became a Master, being a Master is not about mastering an Art but become the Art and Mastering Self, Live the Art, Breathe the Art and die the Art that only you can defeate yourself.

The only person i can name other than bruce lee off top that reached that place is Muhammad Ali 1961-1964
  • MC The Rapper
    MC The Rapper Members Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bruce Lee didn't rank high any martial art but he was still a great martial artists and a whole lot of people including steven is eating off his accomplishments . He worked with Chuck Norris , Gene Lebell and countless other martial artists but dude was more a street fighter than anything else. Meaning he was actually using the ? to fight people not compete in competitions
  • MC The Rapper
    MC The Rapper Members Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    we say bruce was fast because he was faster than the cameras that were being made at the time.

jeet kun do is a philosophy my ? , all these western "practitioners" be lying.
    it's basically telling you to be well rounded, dont stop at one art, take on multiple.
    how can multiple disciplines be called one discipline?

You say he was fast because of that. I say he was fast because of the reactions of every one in his demonstrations and all the interviews of people he actually sparred with say he was fast, not some camera tricks.

You cant try and win a debate by switching up semantics. Never said it was a discipline its more of an undisciplined approach to fighting. Its unorthodoxed and unconventional, its the style of motion in stillness. The reason you say its not an art is the very same reason it is. How can staying undisciplined not be a discipline? Just because you cant bottle something up does not mean it does not exist.

Yeah, the bold is basic. I see why someone would sum it up like that. Although, philosophy is usually more than surface deep and can be interpreted more than one way...

with all due respect, i dont buy into the Traditional Marital Arts mumbo jumbo.
    much like the bible its an outdated doctrine meant for a time when ? was drastically different than whats going on now.
    Self-Defense has evolved, and it's rhetoric should change as well.

no it really hasn't boxing, muay thai, judo(which bjj is based on) etc are very old now combat sport has evolved but self defense has not all of the arts have been around for centuries .
  • Dr.Chemix
    Dr.Chemix Members Posts: 11,816 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jeet Kun Do was a tailor made artform designed for the optimization of Bruce and his physical prowess. It wasn't designed for others to learn. Bruce has said this countless times in his tapes. Learn your own way. Even with that said...Bruce used plenty of Wing Chun techniques.
  • freshb651
    freshb651 Members Posts: 8,240 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think Bruce lee is the GOAT,he's the Godfather of MMA.
  • clairvoyance
    clairvoyance Members Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    BRUCE LEE is the GOAT.....Im sick dont feel like getting into any debate so im gonna just leave it at.
  • s_a_m_r_i_o
    s_a_m_r_i_o Members Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    People actually tested Bruce Lee and got whooped. To say he's the greatest master of all time? No but one of the greatest fighters.
  • vageneral08
    vageneral08 Members Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bruce Lee is on GOAT status and that's it
  • Disciplined InSight
    Disciplined InSight Members Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Have Steven Seagal created his own philosophy of martial arts (jeet kune do)? No.

"If you try to remember you will lose.. empty your mind, be formless, shapeless like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup..put it into a teapot, it becomes the teapot..now water can flow, or creep or crash..be water my friend."

You could apply this philosophy in any avenue of life.
  • Dr.Chemix
    Options
    One of his GOAT lines...be as water
  • Dr.Chemix
    Options
    lol a fine example that logic (from the bodyguard's perspective) doesn't always work
  • Still Cool Beans
    Still Cool Beans Members Posts: 462 ✭✭✭
    Options
    When cats talk about these MMA cats and how they would do this and that to Bruce, they fail to take into account there wouldn't even be MMA if it wasn't for Bruce. Had Bruce been around to watch the evolution of martial arts and MMA you think he wouldn't have evolved as well? Greatest of all time, who knows, but one of the greatest? No doubt IMO
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    When cats talk about these MMA cats and how they would do this and that to Bruce, they fail to take into account there wouldn't even be MMA if it wasn't for Bruce. Had Bruce been around to watch the evolution of martial arts and MMA you think he wouldn't have evolved as well? Greatest of all time, who knows, but one of the greatest? No doubt IMO

If it wasn't for Ip man's first master master's son Leung Bik than there wouldn't be any MMA. #BOSS#360#REALNIGGASAIN'TSCAREDNEVER#HOODISTOOGOODFORYALL#BUTTERBALLINAZZLOBSTAS
  • loch121
    loch121 Members Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2012
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    Seagal certainly aint the one to make such a claim. Its difficult to say, Bruce wasn't fightin on camera and not many demonstrations exist.

Bruce was known to take up any offers to fight by other dudes on the movie sets and would be whoopin that ass everytime

Dead Bruce Lee would whoop Segal's ass

• Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
    All these martial art masters ain't ? compared to a bullet
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    All these martial art masters ain't ? compared to a bullet

Somebody done told you wrong

bullet.jpg

tumblr_lgeumb0abR1qex5bwo1_500.gif
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bruce Lee was the real deal
  • Neophyte Wolfgang
    Neophyte Wolfgang Members Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sometimes I think television, Media and popularity form peoples opinions on 70 percent of thing. Bruce Lee was great, but he is not the greatest ever. Just like 2pac and Biggie are not the greatest ever. There will be better maybe not now or ten years from now, but there will be as long as this earth is spinning.