Young Americans more stressed out then any other generation

Options
kingblaze84
kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2013 in The Social Lounge
http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2013/02/07/survey-young-adults-more-stressed-than-other-generations/

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) – A new survey released Thursday says young adults, between 18 and 33-years-old, are more stressed than any other generation.

USA Today says the online survey was conducted in August 2012 by Harris Interactive for the American Psychological Association and was taken by 2,020 U.S. adults (18 and older).

Results of the survey say the average stress level of adults in 2012 was 4.9 on a 10-point scale, where one means “little or no stress” and 10 means “a great deal of stress.”

The survey found that the stress level for Millennials, adults aged 18-33, was 5.4 with 39 percent saying their stress increased during the past year and 52 percent saying that it has kept them up at night. The top two causes of their stress are work and money.

Comments

• kingblaze84
    edited February 2013
    Options
    This study surprised me because I hear older people complain more about the state of America then younger people do.....I guess younger people are finally waking up to see how screwed things are in this country now.
  • Plutarch
    Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm not surprised at all. I'm in that age group, and I 'm stressed, but I honestly think that I'm on the mild end. I know people who weren't/aren't that lucky.

The ideal is to work a job that you like so that you can support your life (and your family if you have one). Not too many us can do that in this economy. Some of us, myself including, are pressured into living with our parents simply because it's that hard out here. A lot of grown-ass men being emasculated out here. Imagine a father and husband not being able to support his own family. That's a hard pill to swallow. Even more reason to not get married (yet?) if you're single. Let alone having children. That's $200,000 per baby, assuming that you're putting him through college.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • kingblaze84
    Options
    Plutarch wrote: »
    I'm not surprised at all. I'm in that age group, and I 'm stressed, but I honestly think that I'm on the mild end. I know people who weren't/aren't that lucky.

The ideal is to work a job that you like so that you can support your life (and your family if you have one). Not too many us can do that in this economy. Some of us, myself including, are pressured into living with our parents simply because it's that hard out here. A lot of grown-ass men being emasculated out here. Imagine a father and husband not being able to support his own family. That's a hard pill to swallow. Even more reason to not get married (yet?) if you're single. Let alone having children. That's $200,000 per baby, assuming that you're putting him through college.

Yeah people in their 20s and even 30s in so many cases have to live with their parents, not just to save money but to help their own parents help make ends meet. Pensions and IRA plans aren't working out too great for many Americans outside healthcare and big businesses. I can move out now and be okay but I want to help my mom save money for retirement so I help her out while having my own large room. I feel very sorry for people living out on their own without help, times are way too ? expensive now. It's ridiculous and I expect America's population to plummet as birth rates decrease. Why have kids now, it's only gona increase one's headaches unless you're very well off.
  • kingblaze84
    Options
    that aint stress ? thats life!

? a 4.9?

that's alright... hell...

life aint no disney show. wait till they get bills... then they gon be 4.9 while they sleepin...

Yeah paying the mortgage and rent is no joke, especially if an emergency pops up. I feel bad for the generation that will grow up twenty years from now, people are getting priced out of being alive in so many parts of America. If not most parts....smh
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Well I expect the 30 somethings who probably have elderly parents are in what's called the "sandwich generation" where they have kids to raise and elderly parents to help take care of while earnings have stagnated and the job markets still aren't opening up like they should be.

It was just a few years ago that millions of people ended up homeless and older folks lost pensions they had worked decades for, so I'm surprised its not higher.
  • alissowack
    alissowack Members Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭
    Options
    It's not too surprising. We live in a time where you kind of told to do for yourself...by yourself. There isn't a sense of support when times get tough whether it's friends or family. People make bad decisions in life and they are left to face them alone.
  • kingblaze84
    edited February 2013
    Options
    alissowack wrote: »
    It's not too surprising. We live in a time where you kind of told to do for yourself...by yourself. There isn't a sense of support when times get tough whether it's friends or family. People make bad decisions in life and they are left to face them alone.

Yeah it's an American phenomenon where people are told, "Go out and do it on your own". People from Africa, Asia and Europe have told me it is very common for young people to live with their parents or extended family until their 40s or married. What's crazy though is that people try making good decisions about an education and life in general to find a job market that still sucks when it comes to pay. Cost of living is going up and up, while paychecks aren't. Times like these I'm glad I don't have kids. I know a chick with 3 kids who used to make 50 grand a year. Now she's selling her body on craigslist to make ends meet and take care of her mom who can't find a job. What's even crazier is her mom is helping make these posts on craigslist lol smh.....she puts the naughty pics and everything.
  • jay83
    jay83 Members Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Cant go work for Chrysler for 20 years and pay 1500 a year for your kids college anymore.
  • perspective@100
    perspective@100 Members Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    And this is why they are taking guns...
  • twatgetta
    twatgetta Members Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Blame Obama. He promised all this ? ' "Hope and Change" when his agenda ain't ? but "Rope and Chains"

OBAMA_CHANGE_NOPE.jpg
  • twatgetta
    Options
  • twatgetta
    Options
    There's only so much he can do with a Senate full of Republicans.

? . When Bozo wants something done really bad, he just signs an Executive Order. Bozo Obama has signed 923 Executive Orders in 3 1/2 years!

Here are just a few of his outlandish Executive Orders.

EXECUTIVE ORDER 10990 allows the government to take over all modes of
    transportation and control of highways and seaports.
    -EXECUTIVE ORDER 10995 allows the government to seize and control the
    communication media.

-EXECUTIVE ORDER 10997 allows the government to take over all electrical
    power, gas, petroleum, fuels and minerals.

-EXECUTIVE ORDER 10998 allows the government to take over all food
    resources and farms.

-EXECUTIVE ORDER 11000 allows the government to mobilize civilians into work
    brigades under government supervision.

-EXECUTIVE ORDER 11001 allows the government to take over all health,
    education and welfare functions.

-EXECUTIVE ORDER 11002 designates the of all persons. Postmaster General to
    operate a national registration

-EXECUTIVE ORDER 11003 allows the government to
    take over all airports and aircraft, including commercial aircraft.

-EXECUTIVE ORDER 11004 allows the Housing and Finance Authority to relocate
    communities, build new housing with public funds, designate areas to be
    abandoned, and establish new locations for populations.

-EXECUTIVE ORDER 11005 allows the government to take over railroads, inland
    waterways and public storage facilities.

-EXECUTIVE ORDER 11049 assigns emergency preparedness function to federal
    departments and agencies, consolidating 21 operative Executive Orders issued
    over a fifteen year period.

-EXECUTIVE ORDER 11051 specifies the responsibility of the Office of
    Emergency Planning and gives authorization to put all Executive Orders into effect in
    times of increased international tensions and economic or financial crisis.

-EXECUTIVE ORDER 11310 grants authority to the Department of Justice to
    enforce the plans set out in Executive Orders, to institute industrial support, to
    establish judicial and legislative liaison, to control all aliens, to operate
    penal and correctional institutions, and to advise and assist the President.

-EXECUTIVE ORDER 11921 allows the Federal Emergency Preparedness Agency to
    develop plans to establish control over the mechanisms of production and
    distribution, of energy sources, wages, salaries, credit and the flow of
    money in U.S. financial institution in any undefined national emergency. It also
    provides that when a state of emergency is declared by the President,
    Congress cannot review the action for six months.

• janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    Lil Loca wrote: »
    There's only so much he can do with a Senate full of Republicans.
    Senate's mostly Democrat now

• Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    and they measure the stress levels of previous generations how? time machine?
  • kingblaze84
    Options
    twatgetta wrote: »
    Blame Obama. He promised all this ? ' "Hope and Change" when his agenda ain't ? but "Rope and Chains"

OBAMA_CHANGE_NOPE.jpg

Rope and Chains ROFL......
  • kingblaze84
    Options
    Stopitfive wrote: »
    and they measure the stress levels of previous generations how? time machine?

I'm sure young Americans now are happier and have much less stressed compared to the young of the Great Depression, but still this study is very telling in how many in this current generation are feeling. There are some serious problems in this country
  • Premeer
    Premeer Members Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    that study doesnt suprise me. look at society and what they instill in our kids heads. they instill all the wrong morals, influences, "whats cool"/ whats not, too many dividers, categorize too much, sex too much, too many "role models" (musicians, rappers, sports figures, etc), this generation is the FURTHEST from ? than it has ever been..

is it a coincidence that this separation from ? causes stress / unhappiness? not at all.

thats the point.
  • kingblaze84
    Options
    100 Prime wrote: »
    that study doesnt suprise me. look at society and what they instill in our kids heads. they instill all the wrong morals, influences, "whats cool"/ whats not, too many dividers, categorize too much, sex too much, too many "role models" (musicians, rappers, sports figures, etc), this generation is the FURTHEST from ? than it has ever been..

is it a coincidence that this separation from ? causes stress / unhappiness? not at all.

thats the point.

Even if we bring up "? " (which ? ?) and make religion more respected in this country, it wouldn't help pay the bills any easier. Jesus don't pay rent, good jobs do. And with so many jobs being low wage or disappearing thanks to technology, I don't see how being more religious will help.
  • Premeer
    Premeer Members Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2013
    Options

thats the point.

Even if we bring up "? " (which ? ?) and make religion more respected in this country, it wouldn't help pay the bills any easier. Jesus don't pay rent, good jobs do. And with so many jobs being low wage or disappearing thanks to technology, I don't see how being more religious will help.

you dont have to be religious to keep your faith in ? .

and ? does pay your bills. not directly, but He gives you the means to provide.. that job you have thats paying you? who blessed you with that job.... yea yea yea the "obvious" answer is the boss... but who put it in that mans heart to put you on and give you that chance.

? wont make life easier, he will give you exactly what you need, and nothing more.. He wont make life easier, but He will give you the strength to keep your head up, spirits up, and moving forward.

? wont give you a bentley or a rolls royce.. but He'll give you a bucket that runs that will get you from point A to point B and some extra stops cuz thats what you NEED.

if you want a bentley, then you need to put your faith in another "powers" hands other than ? . satan is the 1 that will give you what you want and everything you want...

• Wild Self
    Wild Self Members Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Not to mention that college students of this generation are working full time jobs just to pay hyper-inflated rent and scam ass tuition from these schools. People don't even teach you the basic steps of networking or basic social skills anymore because they expect everyone to "get it" and run with it. On top of a new car, new clothes, high end cell phones, "swag," party excessively, and disposable money all by the age of 19.
  • kingblaze84
    Options

thats the point.

you dont have to be religious to keep your faith in ? .

and ? does pay your bills. not directly, but He gives you the means to provide.. that job you have thats paying you? who blessed you with that job.... yea yea yea the "obvious" answer is the boss... but who put it in that mans heart to put you on and give you that chance.

? wont make life easier, he will give you exactly what you need, and nothing more.. He wont make life easier, but He will give you the strength to keep your head up, spirits up, and moving forward.

? wont give you a bentley or a rolls royce.. but He'll give you a bucket that runs that will get you from point A to point B and some extra stops cuz thats what you NEED.

if you want a bentley, then you need to put your faith in another "powers" hands other than ? . satan is the 1 that will give you what you want and everything you want...

I hear you but what makes you think Satan has that much power lol....and if Satan is so bad, why doesn't ? ? him off already? I don't buy into the whole Satan thing, if Satan is real then ? must work very well with him....
  • kingblaze84
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Wild Self wrote: »
    Not to mention that college students of this generation are working full time jobs just to pay hyper-inflated rent and scam ass tuition from these schools. People don't even teach you the basic steps of networking or basic social skills anymore because they expect everyone to "get it" and run with it. On top of a new car, new clothes, high end cell phones, "swag," party excessively, and disposable money all by the age of 19.

True man I was in college not that long ago and remember how expensive it was to go there, even with a scholarship. Not everything was paid for and I remember those who didn't have scholarship as I did being in very huge debt, especially those paying rent on their own. That's when I realized things weren't going too great for many college kids, but I do agree too many young people spend money on stupid things, all generations must learn to save money more to prepare for a big emergency
  • kingblaze84
    Options
    Soon there will be more young people living with their parents to help them make ends meet....most older Americans do not have enough to retire on, and since our ? govt wants to keep printing money like there is no tomorrow, our savings cannot accumulate interest they way it used to in the past. Seniors want their hard earned savings to build up but since the Federal Reserve wants interest rates close to zero, savings will not build up for them.....

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/fiscal-trouble-ahead-for-most-future-retirees/2013/02/16/ae8c7350-5905-11e2-88d0-c4cf65c3ad15_story.html?hpid=z1

For the first time since the New Deal, a majority of Americans are headed toward a retirement in which they will be financially worse off than their parents, jeopardizing a long era of improved living standards for the nation’s elderly, according to a growing consensus of new research.

The Great Recession and the weak recovery darkened the retirement picture for significant numbers of Americans. And the full extent of the damage is only now being grasped by experts and policymakers.

There was already mounting concern for the long-term security of the country’s rapidly graying population. Then the downturn destroyed 40 percent of Americans’ personal wealth, while creating a long period of high unemployment and an environment in which savings accounts pay almost no interest. Although the surging stock market is approaching record highs, most of these gains are flowing to well-off Americans who already are in relatively good shape for retirement.
  • Wild Self
    Wild Self Members Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Soon there will be more young people living with their parents to help them make ends meet....most older Americans do not have enough to retire on, and since our ? govt wants to keep printing money like there is no tomorrow, our savings cannot accumulate interest they way it used to in the past. Seniors want their hard earned savings to build up but since the Federal Reserve wants interest rates close to zero, savings will not build up for them.....

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/fiscal-trouble-ahead-for-most-future-retirees/2013/02/16/ae8c7350-5905-11e2-88d0-c4cf65c3ad15_story.html?hpid=z1

For the first time since the New Deal, a majority of Americans are headed toward a retirement in which they will be financially worse off than their parents, jeopardizing a long era of improved living standards for the nation’s elderly, according to a growing consensus of new research.

The Great Recession and the weak recovery darkened the retirement picture for significant numbers of Americans. And the full extent of the damage is only now being grasped by experts and policymakers.

There was already mounting concern for the long-term security of the country’s rapidly graying population. Then the downturn destroyed 40 percent of Americans’ personal wealth, while creating a long period of high unemployment and an environment in which savings accounts pay almost no interest. Although the surging stock market is approaching record highs, most of these gains are flowing to well-off Americans who already are in relatively good shape for retirement.

Not to mention generation X and Y have to pick up the slack for everything. Baby boomers ? it up for everyone.