Colin Cowherd calls Pacers fans Beer Drinkin Inbreed Racist Rednecks that hates Dunking Negroes

Options
waterproof
waterproof Members Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2013 in From the Cheap Seats
well damn near,lol.......

Listen to Colin going in on Indiana http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=8963747

Sports talk host Colin Cowherd says Indiana Pacers attendance low because of race

INDIANAPOLIS - ESPN sports talk host Colin Cowherd said Tuesday that race is to blame for low attendance figures for the Indiana Pacers.

The Pacers, 32-21 on the season, have been at or near the bottom of NBA attendance figures for several years as the team's on-court performance languished.

Now that the team's performance has rebounded, Cowherd said on his nationally syndicated show that there is no excuse for lagging attendance figures.

"You're holding an organization to a standard that happens because of race. There's no other explanation why people don't go to Pacers games," Cowherd said.

According to attendance figures compiled by ESPN, the Pacers are averaging 14,433 people at home games in 2013, 27th out of 30 teams in the league.

In 2012, the data compiled by ESPN showed the Pacers were next-to-last in home attendance, with an average of 14,168 at home games.

"Nobody's saying everybody in Indianapolis is racist. Nobody is saying Indianapolis won't support African-American athletes," Cowherd said. "What we're saying is Indianapolis punishes the Pacers more than they punish the Colts for indiscretions off the field or off the court, and a lot of that is racial."

Cowherd said there's no excuse for poor attendance figures.

"The Pacers are fantastic, have been for several years, nobody goes to the games," Cowherd said. "Your tickets are reasonably priced. Your team is outstanding. The locker room is full of good guys."

Cowherd referred to postings on the Facebook wall of WTHR referring to Pacers players as "thugs" as evidence to back his contention.

The Pacers responded to Cowherd's comments with the following statement:

"That’s one person’s opinion we don't agree with. We are grateful to those who have supported us so far this season and over the years and we expect the support to grow as the season goes on. This is a great sports town, as evidenced by the great crowds we had during the playoffs last season and many times this season. The Pacers are a very good team with a very good group of players, on and off the court, who are very proud representatives of the city and the state. That was pointed out many times from a national media perspective over the recent All-Star weekend. We look forward to seeing our great fans here at Bankers Life Fieldhouse.”

Comments

• MillzOG
    MillzOG Members, Moderators Posts: 14,508 Regulator
    Options
    Colin Cowherd >

and thats real ? ....Knicks been sellin tickets and we sucked for mad years until now. That's too easy though, I mean look at Golden State, Utah, etc teams that have been bad or in the same area as the Pacers (mediocre to good teams) but they're selling out games and ? .
  • Billy_Poncho
    Billy_Poncho Members Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I can't imagine any other reason, especially since Indiana prides itself on being such a basketball state...
  • Matt-
    Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2013
    Options
    lol that makes no sense. His argument is built on a fallacy. He is saying that some level of racism is the cause of the poor attendance. Well then How can it be racist if you support the black players for the colts but you don't support the black players for the Pacers? Its not racist. He can't bring up race is an issue and then turn around and say its not an issue with the Colts. Its just not liking the nba anymore and not wanting to buy a 'reasonably priced' ticket in the cheap seats. Colin is a troll, but usually a good troll. This isn't one of those times.
  • MC The Rapper
    MC The Rapper Members Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    matt- wrote: »
    lol that makes no sense. His argument is built on a fallacy. He is saying that some level of racism is the cause of the poor attendance. Well then How can it be racist if you support the black players for the colts but you don't support the black players for the Pacers? Its not racist. He can't bring up race is an issue and then turn around and say its not an issue with the Colts. Its just not liking the nba anymore and not wanting to buy a 'reasonably priced' ticket in the cheap seats. Colin is a troll, but usually a good troll. This isn't one of those times.

Well its a difference between Black players being at the forefront for the pacers and Colts who have Andrew Luck who

is the face of the franchise . Andrew Luck(white) is considered to be the most important player of that franchise.

Someone the white crowd can "relate to" so to speak .
  • Matt-
    Options

Well its a difference between Black players being at the forefront for the pacers and Colts who have Andrew Luck who

is the face of the franchise . Andrew Luck(white) is considered to be the most important player of that franchise.

Someone the white crowd can "relate to" so to speak .

I understand that. But thats not what Cowherd said. I guess Danny Granger has been the face of that franchise for the past few seasons and its understandable why nobody would support a franchise whos star player has been Granger. Its like he's basing his argument on a sort of selective racism against black athletes. And that's not racism. Thats just not liking or not placing a high value on the product.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Well this is a change. A white person playing the race card on behalf of black people.

That said. I don't agree with this. Has Colin forgotten that the most iconic and beloved pacer ever is Reggie Miller, a black man. Yeah, the team with the white face is going to be more beloved. That makes sense. People in general tend to endear themselves more easily to those that look like them. That said, I don't think you can blame low attendance to Pacers games vs Colts games solely on race. The NFL in general is more popular than the NBA. I'm pretty sure you're going to find similar disparities in almost every city with teams from both leagues.
  • Kame
    Kame Members Posts: 24,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Really wish my squad played like the Pacers... would take advantage of our pretty decent attendance record.
  • Kame
    Options
    Even though the Pacers play great, having Granger as your franchise player doesn't really help sell tickets. Having a legit star might bring more people to games.
  • infamous114
    infamous114 Members, Moderators Posts: 52,202 Regulator
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Kame wrote: »
    Even though the Pacers play great, having Granger as your franchise player doesn't really help sell tickets. Having a legit star might bring more people to games.

Paul George is the franchise player now, he just ain't making franchise player money now.
  • Kame
    edited February 2013
    Options

Paul George is the franchise player now, he just ain't making franchise player money now.

He plays great ball. Once he gets that extra push from the Pacers organization, plus performs in the playoffs you'll see more people start to care (hopefully).
  • Livefromclayco
    Livefromclayco Members Posts: 14,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The Pacers have the same problem 70% of the league has in that they don't have a superstar that brings people to the arena every night

Maybe Paul George will be that guy one day
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    edited February 2013
    Options
    My white hoes from Indiana telling me how racist Indiana is also, so i believe this further backs up what i suspected.
  • Matt-
    Options
    KingGivBiz wrote: »
    My white hoes from Indiana telling me how racist Indiana is also, so i believe this further backs up what i suspected.

obama won indiana in '08 and '12. that means about as much as what the white hoes and cowherd has to say.
  • MC The Rapper
    Options
    Well this is a change. A white person playing the race card on behalf of black people.

That said. I don't agree with this. Has Colin forgotten that the most iconic and beloved pacer ever is Reggie Miller, a black man. Yeah, the team with the white face is going to be more beloved. That makes sense. People in general tend to endear themselves more easily to those that look like them. That said, I don't think you can blame low attendance to Pacers games vs Colts games solely on race. The NFL in general is more popular than the NBA. I'm pretty sure you're going to find similar disparities in almost every city with teams from both leagues.

Reggie Miller , Rick Smits, Marc Jackson, and Detlef SHempht a lot light skinned and white dudes in that group . Look at the roster now Paul George, Roy Hibbert, Lance Stevenson, David West , they got the darkskin all star team now . Indiana is suppose to be a Basketball state but they haven't supported a winning team that was getting in the playoffs for the last 3 years come on . Now if your from the midwest you know about the covert racism that goes on . So I think Colin's argument has some credence and credibility to it
  • Matt-
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Even at their peak, they never finished better than 10th attendance.

1998 season they won 58 games and advanced to the ECF..............22nd in attendance
    1999 season they finished 1st in the division. advanced to ECF...... 20th in attendance
    2000 season they won 56 games and lost in the NBA Finals..............10th in attendance
    2001 season they won 41 games and lost in the first round..............10th in attendance
    2002 season they won 42 games and lost in the first round................16th in attendance
    2002 season they won 48 games and lost in the first round..............15th in attendance

you can look back further than 1998 if you want, but not much will change in the attendance numbers.

And Indiana even had decent attendance when they had guys like Steven jackson, Artest, Tinsley, and O'neal. they really only fell into the bottom half of the league in attendance around the '05-'06 season and have never really recovered. and their record hasn't really been good since then either.

since 2007, they've only had 1 season where they finished above .500 and only appeared in the playoffs twice.

Their lagging attendance can be explained in many more ways other than blaming it on race. Perhaps a start would be abandoning the notion that "oh it should be better b/c they are known for basketball" Thats a ridiculous argument. What is even more ridulous is to think that they have a tradition of supporting the pacers, and that they have recently abandoned them, when in fact their attendance numbers have never consistantly topped the charts.
  • DaBull
    DaBull Members Posts: 9,261 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    look at matt caping for the Indiana demographic
  • MC The Rapper
    Options
    Even at their peak, they never finished better than 10th attendance.

1998 season they won 58 games and advanced to the ECF..............22nd in attendance
    1999 season they finished 1st in the division. advanced to ECF...... 20th in attendance
    2000 season they won 56 games and lost in the NBA Finals..............10th in attendance
    2001 season they won 41 games and lost in the first round..............10th in attendance
    2002 season they won 42 games and lost in the first round................16th in attendance
    2002 season they won 48 games and lost in the first round..............15th in attendance

you can look back further than 1998 if you want, but not much will change in the attendance numbers.

And Indiana even had decent attendance when they had guys like Steven jackson, Artest, Tinsley, and O'neal. they really only fell into the bottom half of the league in attendance around the '05-'06 season and have never really recovered. and their record hasn't really been good since then either.

since 2007, they've only had 1 season where they finished above .500 and only appeared in the playoffs twice.

Their lagging attendance can be explained in many more ways other than blaming it on race. Perhaps a start would be abandoning the notion that "oh it should be better b/c they are known for basketball" Thats a ridiculous argument. What is even more ridulous is to think that they have a tradition of supporting the pacers, and that they have recently abandoned them, when in fact their attendance numbers have never consistantly topped the charts.

Well they did at one point support the pacers big time but that was when they were in the ABA in the 70s before the Colts moved to Indianapolis . but yeah its probably racism.
  • Kame
    Options
    If their attendance records have been like that for a long time, then maybe they should drop the known for supporting basketball schtick
  • marc123
    marc123 Members Posts: 16,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2013
    Options
    jus something to talk about durin the NFL offseason. they better focus on the combine n draft. aint no one give a ? bout that ?
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Matt talkin about race...

seems legit.
  • MC The Rapper
    Options
    If their attendance records have been like that for a long time, then maybe they should drop the known for supporting basketball schtick

Keeping it Trill they probably support High School and College Basketball but again most of those players are white.
  • Matt-
    Options

you can still be a basketball state and have your major metropolitan city not fully support an NBA franchise. I feel like NC is a basketball state and we don't support the bobcats. But people here are still obsessed with basketball, and it produces some good talent. I'm sure the state of Indiana is the same way. So it would be more fair to just say that Indianapolis doesn't really support the Pacers, much like many cities don't care to go to NBA games.
  • Matt-
    edited February 2013
    Options
    DaBull wrote: »
    look at matt caping for the Indiana demographic

i can't allow anyone to talk ? about the state that birthed Larry Bird and inspired the movie Hoosiers
  • 1of1
    1of1 Members Posts: 37,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I like Colin dude is hilarious and on point at times. This time it seems like he's jumping to a conclusion without solid evidence.
    Cowherd referred to postings on the Facebook wall of WTHR referring to Pacers players as "thugs" as evidence to back his contention.
    Internet posts aren't a reliable source. That's secondary ? you may decide to take into consideration, but can't rely on solely.

I wouldn't be surprised if Indiana was a state of inbreed racist rednecks though.