Finally Galaxy S4 to be released on March 14

Options

Comments

• The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    rage wrote: »
    HTC One>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I'm interested to see a real comparison of the two. From what they're saying, the S4 kills the HTC One. I can believe it. The HTC One really seems to just be an incremental improvement over the DNA. I imagine the S4 will be a significant jump.
  • rage
    rage Members Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    HTC One>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I'm interested to see a real comparison of the two. From what they're saying, the S4 kills the HTC One. I can believe it. The HTC One really seems to just be an incremental improvement over the DNA. I imagine the S4 will be a significant jump.

In what way? As far as I've seen...Screen sharpness is the same as the S4, both are 1080P, with the One having a better ppi. Both are quad-core, both have 13 megapixel cameras, both have NFC, IR etc. Plus the HTC One blows the S4 out the door in terms of design.
  • The Lonious Monk
    edited March 2013
    Options
    The processor is supposed to be faster. The US version of the S4 will be quadcore but it will be clocked faster. I think the One is 1.7 GHz and the S4 will be 1.9 GHz or something like that. The international version of the S4 is rumored to be octacore though which would be a huge jump in speed. The camera is reported to be a lot better. The battery for the S4 will be comparable to that of the Note 2 which is much better than what they are reporting with the One.

Edit:

Check this site

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-6452_7-57574225/samsung-galaxy-s4-vs-iphone-5-htc-one-and-blackberry-z10/

They actually compare the specs. The S4 is clearly superior to the One. It's not a huge difference, but it is significant.
  • rage
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Yeah thats what I was looking at. I'm seeing .2ghz more for processor speed, .2 larger screen, 300MaH larger battery (which the screen size will compensate for) as for the camera

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2013/03/14/samsung-galaxy-s-4-vs-htc-one-quick-camera-comparison/

The HTC One uses Ultrapixels

What else does the S4 have thats better?
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    Yeah thats what I was looking at. I'm seeing .2ghz more for processor speed, .2 larger screen, 300MaH larger battery (which the screen size will compensate for) as for the camera

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2013/03/14/samsung-galaxy-s-4-vs-htc-one-quick-camera-comparison/

It's coming out of the box with the newest version of Android which can be significant considering how slow HTC is when it comes to updating the OS sometimes.

The S4 will have a replaceable battery which means more longevity for the phone as a whole.

The S4 will have expandable memory which means if you already have a decent mini SD card there is no reason not to save money and get the 16 GB option. That's not possible with ONE.

And I don't think the screen size will compensate for the difference in battery capacity.

Don't get me wrong. I like HTC phones better than Samsung phones in general, but the same way the DNA is better than the S3. The S4 will be comparably better than the ONE.
  • rage
    edited March 2013
    Options

It's coming out of the box with the newest version of Android which can be significant considering how slow HTC is when it comes to updating the OS sometimes.

The S4 will have a replaceable battery which means more longevity for the phone as a whole.

The S4 will have expandable memory which means if you already have a decent mini SD card there is no reason not to save money and get the 16 GB option. That's not possible with ONE.

And I don't think the screen size will compensate for the difference in battery capacity.

Don't get me wrong. I like HTC phones better than Samsung phones in general, but the same way the DNA is better than the S3. The S4 will be comparably better than the ONE.

For me the removable battery and expansion slot is the only difference maker. But the design and the shear build quality of the HTC One is astounding. I dont know if you've held that phone in your hand yet....but I got the chance to do it....is 9.9/10 in comparison to Apple's. Infact I'll put the design right on par with the iPhone5.

whitesmoke_35627724_22_610x436.jpg

The metal bands on the top with the dual stereo speakers, the brushed aluminium volume rockers, the chamfered edges.

HTC_One_review_29-580-90.JPG

Plus HTC is the quickest of all the manufacturers to update their phones.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    I haven't held it. I don't really have much interest in it. Like I said, I got the DNA and I actually like the form of it better than the One.

I don't know about them being the quickest to update their phones either. Where did you get that from. This is my second HTC phone. I had the Thunderbolt and they were abysmally slow when it came to updating that phone. It's still too early with the DNA, but they haven't even mentioned an upgrade to Key Lime in the near future. All that said, both phones were Verizon exclusives so it's hard to say whether the timelines are due to HTC or Verizon.
  • rage
    Options
    I haven't held it. I don't really have much interest in it. Like I said, I got the DNA and I actually like the form of it better than the One.

I don't know about them being the quickest to update their phones either. Where did you get that from. This is my second HTC phone. I had the Thunderbolt and they were abysmally slow when it came to updating that phone. It's still too early with the DNA, but they haven't even mentioned an upgrade to Key Lime in the near future. All that said, both phones were Verizon exclusives so it's hard to say whether the timelines are due to HTC or Verizon.

http://bgr.com/2012/12/21/android-updates-manufacturers-carriers-262823/

HTC averages 4.8 months while Samsung avg about 6.9 months.
  • CockMcStuffins
    CockMcStuffins Members Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    does the htc one have a slot for a memory card? because the first version didn't and my girl has it and she hates her phone
  • Dr.Chemix
    Dr.Chemix Members Posts: 11,816 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    DNB1 wrote: »
    Eye tracking sounds like a good feature....

bruh that's been out since the S3 pimpin

does the htc one have a slot for a memory card? because the first version didn't and my girl has it and she hates her phone

Stupidely, no. I think the HTC One X does but for the other one, ? no.

Samsung is coming for iphoneys and HTC's necks out here it seems. Of course Apple loyalists and Blackberry dreamers are going to populate these threads

• MrSoutCity
    MrSoutCity Members Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Samsung just pulled an Apple. Apple now have a valid lawsuit. .

That ? is incorrect. The never got the ics update for my inspire. And my girl One X ain't even got the jelly bean update.
    Dr.Chemix wrote: »

Samsung is coming for iphoneys and HTC's necks out here it seems. Of course Apple loyalists and Blackberry dreamers are going to populate these threads

The One X doesn't have a memory expansion slot...

• rage
    Options
    MrSoutCity wrote: »

That ? is incorrect. The never got the ics update for my inspire. And my girl One X ain't even got the jelly bean update.

So just because YOU and YOUR girl didnt get the update that means the all the information and results are wrong...RIIIIGHHHTTT.
  • Crude_
    Crude_ Members Posts: 19,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nice phone no doubt and probably the best on the market right when it comes out.

This phone is not that much of an overhaul from the S3 it got 4-5 additional cool features added to this model but nothing groundbreaking in my opinion.

It's got some nice features but I will stick to my S3 and probably wait a year and get whatever phone they come out with in the Galaxy or Note series next year.
  • MrSoutCity
    MrSoutCity Members Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2013
    Options
    MrSoutCity wrote: »

So just because YOU and YOUR girl didnt get the update that means the all the information and results are wrong...RIIIIGHHHTTT.

I not going back and forth with you, but that information in incorrect. HTC known for reneging on their updates..

• The Lonious Monk
    Options
    Nice phone no doubt and probably the best on the market right when it comes out.

This phone is not that much of an overhaul from the S3 it got 4-5 additional cool features added to this model but nothing groundbreaking in my opinion.

It's got some nice features but I will stick to my S3 and probably wait a year and get whatever phone they come out with in the Galaxy or Note series next year.

Nah, I got to say the hardware is a pretty significant jump from the S3. Quad core instead of dual ( octa instead of quad for the international version), 13 megapixel cam, larger displa with true HD resolution, larger battery, etc... All that represents a decent upgrade. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't switch to it either if I had the S3. But they have stepped it up. It's a bigger jump in hardware than say the iPhone 4s to iPhone 5.
  • CallMeWelvin
    CallMeWelvin Members Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I have the galaxy 1 so I'm definitely getting the s4.

I use to own a HTC hero and it froze all the time and the updates were rare. Samsung, in my experience, are much better at updating.
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

does ur DNA have Pup error code and sim card error? I got one 2 weeks ago an it did this over and over i replaced the sim card and it didnt work. just got a replacement yesterday. I love the phone but ? got me frustrated
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    aneed123 wrote: »

does ur DNA have Pup error code and sim card error? I got one 2 weeks ago an it did this over and over i replaced the sim card and it didnt work. just got a replacement yesterday. I love the phone but ? got me frustrated

Nah, but I seen a couple people complain about that on Phandroid.com. Sounds like you just got a bad phone. You should be with the new one. It's not a problem with DNA in itself.
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Nah, but I seen a couple people complain about that on Phandroid.com. Sounds like you just got a bad phone. You should be with the new one. It's not a problem with DNA in itself.

I called HTC thay said it was a hardware issue due to the way the sim card is made in the phone... all the phones have the issue . they fixed the problem but its only in the new phones being shipped. the folk who work in the verizon store were having the same problems Im knockin on wood that this phone is cool
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options

I called HTC thay said it was a hardware issue due to the way the sim card is made in the phone... all the phones have the issue . they fixed the problem but its only in the new phones being shipped. the folk who work in the verizon store were having the same problems Im knockin on wood that this phone is cool

That's interesting. I got mine pretty soon after the phone came out and mine never had that issue. ? like that happens though. If they said they fixed it, I'm sure they did. When I first got the phone, there was a software issue that cause it to not be able to sync up with my car's BT. They got a fix and software update for that surprisingly fast. I was surprised.
  • vageneral08
    vageneral08 Members Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    HTC aint been ? since that damn 3D phone but I might cop this galaxy 4 tho
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? ill get the s4 when the s6 is dropping
  • mosincredible
    mosincredible Members Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2013
    Options
    The Xperia Z has my attention cause it looks better than the other options. It's waterproof. I'm far from being eligible for another phone though. Just glad Sony put up a legitimate effort with their offering.

sony-xperia-z,8-2-367058-13.jpg

sony-xperia-z-review-0.jpg?20130226-193112
  • vageneral08
    vageneral08 Members Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lol sony aint making no noise in the cell phone market
  • mosincredible
    mosincredible Members Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lol sony aint making no noise in the cell phone market

Yea I know cause all their past efforts have been garbage. This phone is a step in the right direction for them but they're not going to promote it. I'm always down for competition to put up a good effort cause it makes other companies go harder. I personally have a S3 I'm cool with and not worried about any phone right now.