wCw from 90-99 >>>>>>> WWF

Options

Comments

• Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2013
    Options
    thread may have been more accurate if it was 90-95 or 96, i aint saying wwe was better, i prefer ecw actually, im sayin if not for cruiserweights sting and flair, id hardly remember anything about wcw in ring
  • waterproof
    waterproof Members Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2013
    Options
    RawAce wrote: »
    Honestly
    How much rasslin was really goin on in WWF in the early to mid 90's? Not much. ? was mostly stomp punches, wind up punches, drop kicks , Irish whips, ten count punches and soft landing finishers from the likes of men dressed as clowns , dentists, plummets, sailors, gobble gookers and other outlandish things.

lol, they forever ? up Surivior Series with that ? , a ? big ass egg that hatched on thanksgiving eve on Survior Series, but speaking on the Gobbly Gooker.......lol!!!! ? BOBBY the Brain Hennan can get away with the most racist ? ever, i mean it's the WWF and they do racist ? but I will never forget this ? , on WWF superstars on saturday they showed the egg hatch and Gorilla Monsoon was doing his classic take when the egg hatch and Gorillia said the name Goobly Gooker, Heenan was talking that ? and was like what's that thing name Gorilla, THE GOOKLY GOOKER we all know what the ? Heenan was doing....Gorillia and his always acting shock about the ? that comes out Hennan mouth was no BOBBY I SAID GOBBLY GOOKER and you is a ? Brain.

The Gobbledy Gooker makes his first appearance in WWE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xh00VNHNB7o
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    wCw Saturday Night/worldwide rasslin>>>>>>>> WWF Shotgun Saturday Night squash matches mixed in wit Brooklyn brawler

WCW Saturday Night was their primary show until Nitro. Shotgun came when the AE started, and when it first came about it was a unique concept and had good main events. WCWSN became the place Rey vs Juvi wrestled every damn week and the biggest star that would appear would be the TV champion.
  • RawAce
    RawAce Members Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    wCw Saturday Night/worldwide rasslin>>>>>>>> WWF Shotgun Saturday Night squash matches mixed in wit Brooklyn brawler

WCW Saturday Night was their primary show until Nitro. Shotgun came when the AE started, and when it first came about it was a unique concept and had good main events. WCWSN became the place Rey vs Juvi wrestled every damn week and the biggest star that would appear would be the TV champion.

Another reason why wCw was great. They utilized belts and time slots well during that period. It was exciting to see a tv champion have to defend his belt and try to work within the tv time limit.
    What did WWF have?
    A euro title that didn't really have significance until years into its existence when al snow and d lo took pride into wearing the belt.
  • jono
    Options
    jono wrote: »

Another reason why wCw was great. They utilized belts and time slots well during that period. It was exciting to see a tv champion have to defend his belt and try to work within the tv time limit.
    What did WWF have?
    A euro title that didn't really have significance until years into its existence when al snow and d lo took pride into wearing the belt.

What? The European title was held by the WWF Champion dude (Shawn Michaels) and he carried both straps at the same time lol.

ShawnMichaels_display_image.jpg?1320850079

I don't think you watched WWF bro. HBK was the second Euro Champion in its history. I'll be the first to tell you it wasn't as prestigious as it could have been....but compared to the WCW TV Title (that Scott Hall threw in the garbage) it was held as a good stepping stone its entire history.
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Options
    also (not sayin wwe didnt do this but) but wcw misused plenty of their best wrestlers, jericho, steve austin, brian pillman, dean malenko, mysterio, etc. and u say wwf had punch, kick, irish whip ? , on the main event scene in wcw in the mid 90's thats was a lotta people's offense too lol
  • genocidecutter
    genocidecutter Members Posts: 17,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Their Crusierweight division yes
  • themadlionsfan
    themadlionsfan Members Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    WCW Thunder was the ? too.....really enjoyed the matches that came on
  • RawAce
    Options
    Hbk had the belt bug to me, the belt wasn't really coveted until d Li, al snow and Kurt angle had runs wit it
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    Options
    The Euro belt imo was coveted when Bulldog vs Owen were going at it, but to each their own.
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    I was always more of a WWF guy. I liked their production better.

The WWF from late 96 to 97 was better even though it didn't show in the ratings.
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    also (not sayin wwe didnt do this but) but wcw misused plenty of their best wrestlers, jericho, steve austin, brian pillman, dean malenko, mysterio, etc. and u say wwf had punch, kick, irish whip ? , on the main event scene in wcw in the mid 90's thats was a lotta people's offense too lol

None of the wrestlers you named were misused in WCW. In the case of Dean Malenko he was better utilized in WCW than he was in the WWF.

Austin, Jericho, Mysterio, and Pillman weren't ready to be main eventers yet. But they were featured in good spots. Austin was fueding with Ric Flair and sting and Steamboat.

• Cutler 26 INT's LOL!
    Cutler 26 INT's LOL! Members Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Austin and Jericho was ready. Remember that Jericho vs. "Greenberg" storyline?
  • Crude_
    Crude_ Members Posts: 19,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think WCW was better from a pure wrestling standpoint although WWE may have had more larger than life characters.

The problem with WCW is they paid too much attention to what WWE/F was doing they shoulda been putting over their own guys instead of pushing older WWE guys that jumped ship.

One thing I give the WWE credit for that I don't give old WCW credit for is the WWE could almost make a new star over night.

WCW got WWE guys and almost immediately pushed them to main event status.

I do agree with @Jamaica I don't think Mysterio, Austin, Pillman, and Jericho were ready to be consistently main eventing but the WCW could have occasionally used those older guys to put over a younger guy.

They could gave younger guys some burn occasionally and let them get their feet wet with a major title and also see how the crowd would react to them then proceed with how to use them.

From about 94-98 or so the WCW roster was ? on the WWE roster especially the cruiserweights and light heavyweights.

The WCW should have disbanded the NWO after Sting beat Hollywood Hogan at Starcade then concentrated on cultivating and pushing new guys.

Instead they got lazy and pushed that NWO ? even when it got stale and I think it is eventually what drove them out of business.
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Jamaica wrote: »

None of the wrestlers you named were misused in WCW. In the case of Dean Malenko he was better utilized in WCW than he was in the WWF.

Austin, Jericho, Mysterio, and Pillman weren't ready to be main eventers yet. But they were featured in good spots. Austin was fueding with Ric Flair and sting and Steamboat.

may not have been ready for main event status, but austin was takin outta upper midcard champ status to tag team, then when they made that work, they disbanded that and fired him, jericho got himself over and wcw hated that, mysterio faced nothing but cruiserweights and almost always got squashed by people outside the division until the end of his wcw run plus not only did they let nash end the streak but they let his ass take mysterio mask for no reason, dean didnt wanna just stay in the cruiserweight division, and by the time he got to wwe, he was already 40
  • RawAce
    edited March 2013
    Options
    either way,
    the rasslin in wCw was still prime stuff and better than the arcade madness wwf had in the mid 90's
  • ocelot
    ocelot Members Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    98 was when it was falling off... Making Ray and Juvie taking off the mask was wrong and I knew it even when I was young. And they should've kept Jericho and Eddie.
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    Options

http://www.blogtv.com/people/alwaysrocking7

all day and night..

I saw vader do a moonsault last night to beat The Boss (aka the Big Bossman frmom WWF) ? was GOAT.
  • RawAce
    Options
    thanx for the link
  • PanchoYoSancho
    PanchoYoSancho Members Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The only time WCW was >>WWF was in 96.

The only time WCW was putting up quality shows, I was born in 88 mind you, was 95-98
  • PanchoYoSancho
    PanchoYoSancho Members Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    TheIraq wrote: »
    Only thing that made WCW relevant in 98 was the Goldberg thing

What no love for.....

tumblr_m5r15neVyH1rn5zzvo1_400.jpg

lol
    Truth!

Everybody talks about Flair and Goldberg and nWo. They need to give the Red and Black Attack their dues. They were the ? in '98. Only reason I watched WCW (between Raw commercials anyway). I never gave 1/4 of a ? about Goldberg.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSn57kO1FXk
  • jono
    Options
    Seriously The Kiss Demon? LOL ? outchea with this...and this was during their height!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?client=mv-google&hl=en&gl=US&v=PN2MBvwxWFo

• TRILLip Brooks
    TRILLip Brooks Members Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You can't really ? on WWF ? characters when WCW had folks like The Glacier, Marky Mark long lost brother PN News, The ? Man, The Wrestling Mummy The Yeti and the all time WOAT, The Shockmaster
  • TRILLip Brooks
    Options
    Wait hold up, didn't WCW have some ? where they were wrestling on moving truck
  • TRILLip Brooks
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Wait hold up, didn't WCW have some ? where they were wrestling on moving truck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r77868CA-DE