New York, New York ~ Big city of dreams ~ But everything in New York aint always what it seem.......

Options
Drew_Ali
Drew_Ali Members Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2013 in The Social Lounge
Stop-and-Frisk Lawsuit: The 'Trial of the Century'?

By: Jenée Desmond-Harris | Posted: March 14, 2013 at 1:07 PM

stop-and-frisk-case-575JDH.jpg

The Center for Constitutional Rights is suing the New York City Police Department over its stop-and-frisk policy, the Huffington Post reports, and the lawyers responsible for the case say the racially charged battle -- set to kick off with a March 18 court date -- could be the "trial of the century."

Noting that blacks and Latinos were 87 percent of those stopped in 2011 and 2012, though they made up only 53 percent of the city's population, Vince Warren, executive director of the center, says that the policy is discriminatory. His organization brought the lawsuit on behalf of anyone who has been illegally stopped by police in New York in violation of the Fourth and 14th amendments. The goal: to force the NYPD to stop the practice altogether.
http://www.theroot.com/buzz/stop-and-frisk-lawsuit-trial-century

Comments

• 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    its funny because its even though blacks ? others...its usually directed at one person. yet its the whites that try ti ? whole colleges and schools and theaters.

i guess they assume there are no white gangs...oh wait they call the militias
  • thesoulcontroller
    thesoulcontroller Members Posts: 81 ✭✭
    Options
    Too bad this is coming at the end of Michael Bloomberg's reign of terror. It won't affect him because he'll soon be out of office. He needs to shoulder the blame for this bs..
  • Drew_Ali
    Options
    This will be the trial of the century..........

This is an example of continued racism in American law enforcement policies/procedures..............

I aint even in NY but I have been fighting against this ? for years.............

? need to stand up...............

nyc_police_stops_by_race_2003-2011.png?v=1336668197

nyc_police_use_of_force_without_arrest_2010.png?v=1337357379

2011-race-breakdown_web.jpeg

momentum_590w.jpg

• janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    pralims wrote: »
    yet its the whites that try ti ? whole colleges and schools and theaters.
    pretty sure we've got a couple of non-white dudes committing that kind of crime out there

• kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2013
    Options
    NYPD is funded to protect the middle class and wealthy White people of NYC. White people commit plenty of crime themselves and they dont get stopped the way Blacks and other minorities do....what a surprise.....
  • kingblaze84
    Options
    janklow wrote: »
    yet its the whites that try ti ? whole colleges and schools and theaters.
    pretty sure we've got a couple of non-white dudes committing that kind of crime out there

We get that but how come White people aren't being stopped the same way Blacks and Hispanics are? Plenty of Russian mafia and Italian mafia types running around out here. I know because I see them at work everyday.....
  • janklow
    Options
    We get that but how come White people aren't being stopped the same way Blacks and Hispanics are?
    well, THAT is where the racism comes in. let's not presuming that i'm cosigning stop & frisk or pretty much anything else the NYPD does

• Wild Self
    Wild Self Members Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hope it ends and make the cops commit mass suicide. Violating the 4th amendment rights is downright fascist.
  • Drew_Ali
    Options

No doubt.......

If I was in NYC, I would get arrested before they searched me........

Violating the 4th should lead to automatic resistance................

• blackamerica
    blackamerica Members Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    For them to even make a law like this shows the arrogance of the NYPD. New York has shown to be one of the most racist places in america
  • WiseGuyy
    WiseGuyy Members Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2013
    Options
    New York is great if your a tourist, HORRIBLE place to raise a family. Im happy a moved so my sister's won't have to go through the ? I did in the City.

Dont know how many of you saw this, It was released a while ago. But this is basically how it is man. NYPD dont give a ? out here. I Couldnt believe ? was legal when it happened to me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rWtDMPaRD8
  • blakfyahking
    blakfyahking Members Posts: 15,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm still stunned that the federal govt hasn't spoke on this issue or done anything about it

I'm literally stunned that we could finally have a black president and this blatant violation of legal rights of law-abiding citizens goes on

SMH
  • Drew_Ali
    Options
    NYPD spent one million hours arresting marijuana users: report

man-smoking-marijuana-shutterstock.jpg

“That is the equivalent of having 31 police officers working eight hours a day, 365 days a year, for 11 years, making only marijuana possession arrests,” the group said, highlighting that during this time officers don’t devote themselves to dealing with other “serious crime.”

Fighting ? possession costs $75 million a year, the group said, noting that, over the eleven-year period, those arrested spent five million hours in detention."

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/03/19/nypd-spent-one-million-hours-arresting-marijuana-users-report/

• kingblaze84
    Options
    Drew_Ali wrote: »

“That is the equivalent of having 31 police officers working eight hours a day, 365 days a year, for 11 years, making only marijuana possession arrests,” the group said, highlighting that during this time officers don’t devote themselves to dealing with other “serious crime.”

Fighting ? possession costs $75 million a year, the group said, noting that, over the eleven-year period, those arrested spent five million hours in detention."

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/03/19/nypd-spent-one-million-hours-arresting-marijuana-users-report/

Wow, while so many crimes in NYC go unsolved, NYPD has time to bust people for smoking ? smh....
  • Neophyte Wolfgang
    Neophyte Wolfgang Members Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They do this in Chicago, just they do it illegally without a name. They usually come up with a bullcrap excuse of you match the description of a call we got or you look suspicious. Then they will search you up and down even make you take your shoes and socks off sometimes and then if your clean talk ? and let you go. If you wear hats or anything hip/hop related in Chicago in the spring or summer time prepare to be patted down
  • Wild Self
    Wild Self Members Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Drew_Ali wrote: »

If weed ever becomes federally decriminalized or medicinal weed becomes legal, I wonder how these cops gonna act. Act like smoking blunts is the equivalent of killing kids SMH
  • Drew_Ali
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Second New York cop confirms illegal ‘quota’ system
    By Stephen C. Webster
    Thursday, March 21, 2013 13:12 EDT

copstockmarket-shutterstock.jpg

A second New York Police Department officer confirmed Wednesday that the department’s management continued using a system of quotas for arrests and citations even after the legislature explicitly banned the practice.

Appearing in court to give testimony in a class action lawsuit against the NYPD, officer Pedro Serrano, 43, said he was labeled a “rat” for refusing to bring in the 20 citations and one arrest per month required of him.

“They said, ‘Hey, this is the way it is, you can’t fight a losing battle,’” he said on the witness stand, according to The New York Daily News.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/03/21/second-new-york-cop-confirms-illegal-quota-system/

• janklow
    Options
    I'm literally stunned that we could finally have a black president and this blatant violation of legal rights of law-abiding citizens goes on
    well... he is half-white...

• CP203
    CP203 Members Posts: 10,421 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    smh i remember nypd was heated at me when they tried to search me and the 1st thing i showed them was my military id, they damn sure searched everybody else i was with though, i'm glad my mom decided to move to ct when i was younger cuz its too much ? that happens in ny
  • dr funky resurrected
    dr funky resurrected Members Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If you look at Cuomo's site it claims that "Stop and Frisk" is used to target "Marijuana users", but yet they only target black people and hispanic people. lol you mean to tell me there arent white weed smokers? come on man lol
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    its funny because its even though blacks ? others...its usually directed at one person. yet its the whites that try ti ? whole colleges and schools and theaters.

i guess they assume there are no white gangs...oh wait they call the militias

yeah ok, tell that to Jonylah Watkins and all these other black kids that get hit up every day

meanwhile those White Gangs are assassinating Texas prosecutors like its a Sons of Anarchy finale