2»

Comments

• Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dr.Chemix wrote: »
    FuriousOne wrote: »
    ? idiots. Nature is the greatest manager of this universe. yet, they keep ? with nature like it won't respond with some ? up ?

But we part of nature though.

employees and management are two different things tho. You might be help desk support but you definitely not CEO, therefore you don't make decisions that affect the company worldwide This is what I'm saying...there's a reason that nature saw it fit that these creatures went extinct.

In my studies, playing ? never had a good outcome...

Is anybody considering viral mutations that can occur?

I guess we should stop mixing dogs then or making editable bananas. A company ? up all the time and constantly chances CEO unless it's private. It can still fail or grow depending on external and internal factors. Humans are just adding yet another pressure to speed up the natural evolutionary process using things that can only be created in our reality. As a fact, pandemics already exist without our input and many are incorrect processes of nature. I suppose we shouldn't play ? and rid ourselves of a natural cold.
  • Dr.Chemix
    Dr.Chemix Members Posts: 11,816 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? idiots. Nature is the greatest manager of this universe. yet, they keep ? with nature like it won't respond with some ? up ?

employees and management are two different things tho. You might be help desk support but you definitely not CEO, therefore you don't make decisions that affect the company worldwide This is what I'm saying...there's a reason that nature saw it fit that these creatures went extinct.

I guess we should stop mixing dogs then or making editable bananas. A company ? up all the time and constantly chances CEO unless it's private. It can still fail or grow depending on external and internal factors. Humans are just adding yet another pressure to speed up the natural evolutionary process using things that can only be created in our reality. As a fact, pandemics already exist without our input and many are incorrect processes of nature. I suppose we shouldn't play ? and rid ourselves of a natural cold.

Yea we should stop making "editable" bananas, you ? ? . The analogies you are using has nothing to do with the conversation at hand and does not further your point, you ? . The mixing of breeds is no different than interracial children, you ? . Keeping yourself healthy is not playing ? , you ? , its simply taking care of yourself.

All this "bringing back what's extinct" talks is no different than the quest for immortality. What is dead, let it stay dead. Simple as that. You defending this ? like you got a stake in the claim.

Until you can express yourself coherently and provide analogies that actually pertain to the topic...I suggest you shut up and consider the dumbness that comes from your mouth.

• Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2013
    Options

Yea we should stop making "editable" bananas, you ? ? . The analogies you are using has nothing to do with the conversation at hand and does not further your point, you ? . The mixing of breeds is no different than interracial children, you ? . Keeping yourself healthy is not playing ? , you ? , its simply taking care of yourself.

All this "bringing back what's extinct" talks is no different than the quest for immortality. What is dead, let it stay dead. Simple as that. You defending this ? like you got a stake in the claim.

Until you can express yourself coherently and provide analogies that actually pertain to the topic...I suggest you shut up and consider the dumbness that comes from your mouth.

First off, chill with the personal attacks. That doesn't do much to support your legitimacy. My point was for all of my analogies is that we do things to change what nature does. We get sick and we fix ourselves. Is this against nature? If Nature gave us a virus, is it unnatural to ? it with scientific tools which includes manipulating a part of the virus? The share act of getting healthy creates the potential for super virus that can adapt to our increased immunity. Also, the point of mentioning the banana if you were paying attention is that it wasn't editable until we came along and changed its genes. Dogs didn't work for us until we manipulated them and adjusted their genes to serve unique purpose.

You see, you can't say what we can and cannot do according to some non existing rules. I'm not defending anything, I'm speaking on a topic. I questioned the purpose of bringing back carrier pigeons in another post. I'm also questioning your view that we shouldn't do something because it would be playing ? . You are right to worry about a potential pandemic, but if we worried about everything and stopped there, we wouldn't be anywhere as a species. This doesn't mean that people aren't investigating those concerns. Still, I'm sure checks and balances went into the research the same as what went into creating atom smashers that haven't killed us yet.

My point is, we as humans had an affect on these species that wasn't natural according to what you seem to consider natural or within the purview of ? . Nature as in, other animals, the wind, floods, or meteorites didn't eliminate species for sport and fashion as we do. So, who is to say that it's unnatural or going against nature to bring them back. There could be positive impact to the ecosystem to bring certain species back which in turn aids us.

Whether it is right should remain an augment of necessity and overall impact, but humans hardly operate on those guidelines since we out here killing species into extinction without reason, purpose, or concern of overall impact to us and our environment. I guess what we do isn't part of nature because you seem to think our actions aren't contained within nature. What is your argument exactly, we shouldn't do it because it's against nature? I guess humans shouldn't try to go into space either, it's unnatural and playing ? .
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    knights wrote: »
    Bring back giant hairy elephants...

*Watches unheard of virus/fungus that went dormant because its mammoth/mastodon food source died out come back and wipe out a modern man who is no longer immune to it*

? boys in lab coats need to stop playing with nature on that end and focus on human evolution/improvement.
    Bad example. Prosthetics evolve and improve pretty quickly. That's not exactly an area where people are sitting around twiddling their thumbs.

What I'm saying is, if you can clone a big-ass mammal back into existence, there should be no reason I shouldn't have a new flesh-and-blood leg.

That's like saying that if we have a ships that can fly to the moon there is no reason we shouldn't have flying cars now.

Science research and development don't work like that. Progress in one area doesn't mean there should be equal or greater progress in another area. They are looking into ways to regrow limbs and body parts, and have been for some time. They just haven't gotten to that point yet.
  • DMTxTHC
    DMTxTHC Members Posts: 14,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    plocc wrote: »
    GTFOH. How about coming up with a way to make healthy food and water available to those who cant afford it. Everyday were bombarded with news stories telling us whats not good for us to ingest. Eating healthy is not cheap. The price of stuff you see at the whole foods is rediculous. People just struggling to survive cant afford these foods. I still want the 40 acres and a mule my ancesters were promised. Bringing back extinct animals, C'MON SON.
    Cosign.. ^:)^
  • DMTxTHC
    DMTxTHC Members Posts: 14,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    And they should make mosquitoes extinct.. they're nothing but disease carriers..
  • cobbland
    cobbland Members Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Frozen mice cloned - are woolly mammoths next?
    Mon Nov 3, 2008 5:09pm EST

(Adds comment from other cloning expert paragraphs 11-12)

By Maggie Fox, Health and Science Editor

WASHINGTON, Nov 3 (Reuters) - Japanese scientists have cloned mice whose bodies were frozen for as long 16 years and said on Monday it may be possible to use the technique to resurrect mammoths and other extinct species.

Mouse cloning expert Teruhiko Wakayama and colleagues at the Center for Developmental Biology, at Japan's RIKEN research institute in Yokohama, managed to clone the mice even though their cells had burst.

"Thus, nuclear transfer techniques could be used to 'resurrect' animals or maintain valuable genomic stocks from tissues frozen for prolonged periods without any cryopreservation," they wrote in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

Wakayama's team used the classic nuclear transfer technique to make their mouse clones. This involves taking the nucleus out of an egg cell and replacing it with the nucleus of an ordinary cell from the animal to be cloned.

When done with the right chemical or electric trigger, this starts the egg dividing as if it had been fertilized by a sperm.

"Cloning animals by nuclear transfer provides an opportunity to preserve endangered mammalian species," they wrote.

"However, it has been suggested that the 'resurrection' of frozen extinct species (such as the woolly mammoth) is impracticable, as no live cells are available, and the genomic material that remains is inevitably degraded," they said.

DIGGING INTO FREEZERS

Wakayama's team dug out some mice that had been kept frozen for years and whose cells were indisputably damaged. Freezing causes cells to burst and can damage the DNA inside. Chemicals called cryoprotectants can prevent this but they must be used before the cells are frozen.

They tried using cells from several places and discovered that the brains worked best. This is a bit of a mystery, as no one has yet cloned any living mouse from a brain cell.

Many animals have been cloned, starting with sheep, and including pigs, cattle, mice and dogs. Livestock breeders want to use cloning to start elite herds of desirable animals, and doctors want to use cloning technology in human medicine.

"There is hope in bringing Ted Williams back, after all," cloning and stem cell expert John Gearhart of the University of Pennsylvania saidin an e-mail. The family of Williams, the Boston Red Sox hitter, had his body frozen by cryogenics firm Alcor after he died in 2002.

Gearhart was only half-joking and said the study "may now stimulate the small industry of freezing parts of us before we die to bring us back in the future."

Mammoths may be the extinct animals that scientists would be most likely to try to clone, as many of the animals have been found preserved in ice.

In July 2007 Russian scientists discovered the body of a baby mammoth frozen in the Arctic Yamalo-Nenetsk region for as long as 40,000 years.

"It remains to be shown whether nuclei can be collected from whole bodies frozen without cryoprotectants and whether they will be viable for use in generating offspring following nuclear transfer," Wakayama's team wrote.

(Editing by Michael Kahn and Vicki Allen)

http://www.reuters.com/article/2008/11/03/idUSN03329337

Science Bring Extinct Frog Back From Grave
    San Francisco : CA : USA | Mar 26, 2013 at 12:23 PM PDT

By Barry Eitel send a private message

97239242-gastric-frog.jpg
    The Extinct Gastric-Brooding Frog (Image credit: Australian Government Department of the Environment, Water, Heritage and the Arts)

We may be one step closer to Jurassic Park. Or, at least, maybe a step closer to seeing woolly mammoths at the zoo. Regardless, scientists have resurrected a recently-extinct (and really bizarre) Australian frog species through cloning in the lab.

Australian scientists at the University of Newcastle implanted a dead cell nucleus into the egg of a related frog species to create the clone. The results have yet to be published.

The frog in question is the gastric-brooding frog (Rheobatrachus silus), a former native of the rainforests surrounding Queensland, Australia. Deforestation and other habitat destruction wiped out the species and the frog was declared officially extinct in 1983.

Scientists have kept a dead frog in a freezer since the 1970s and used this tissue to create the clone. The researchers are calling the procedure the Lazarus Project.

"We are watching Lazarus arise from the dead, step by exciting step," claims University of New South Wales in Sydney professor Mike Archer, the leader of the Lazarus Project team. "We've reactivated dead cells into living ones and revived the extinct frog's genome in the process. Now we have fresh cryo-preserved cells of the extinct frog to use in future cloning experiments.”

The cloning is the first success in bringing back extinct species.

"We're increasingly confident that the hurdles ahead are technological and not biological and that we will succeed,” Archer continued. “Importantly, we've demonstrated already the great promise this technology has as a conservation tool when hundreds of the world's amphibian species are in catastrophic decline."

A conference was held recently by scientists pondering the scientific and ethically dilemmas that come along with cloning.

"It is one reason to do the research: is the genome the species? The answer will vary from species to species,” claim the conference organizers. “De-extincted plants should flourish as if they'd never left, if suitable pollinators are still around. But if California condors had gone extinct, it's unclear if they could be brought back fully, because the young rely on parental training."

Going back to the gastric brooding frog…

“Oh, and in case you were wondering: the gastric-brooding frog lays eggs, which are coated in a substance called prostaglandin. This substance causes the frog to stop producing gastric acid in its stomach, thus making the frog's stomach a very nice place for eggs to be,” writes Dan Nosowitz for Popular Science. “So the frog swallows the eggs, incubates them in her gut, and when they hatch, the baby frogs crawl out her mouth. How delightfully weird!”

http://www.allvoices.com/contributed-news/14301011-science-bring-extinct-frog-back-from-grave
    COUNTERVIEW

Focus on saving dying species

Rudrani Jalan

It is telling that the project for revivifying the frog has been titled Lazarus, the subject of a prominent religious miracle in which Jesus restored a dead man to life, to illustrate his divine authority. Project leaders are clearly suffering from a ? complex. Like Frankenstein, they will end up being horrified by the result of their experiment. Anyone remember Michael Crichton's Jurassic Park? There, the computer program for counting the dinosaurs stops counting when it reaches the 'correct' answer, and we all know how cataclysmic that proved. Facts can be scarier than fiction.

http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2013-03-21/edit-page/37902711_1_extinct-species-imminent-extinction-frog
  • Tymoney19
    Tymoney19 Members Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The whole playing ? argument really doesn't make sense. Humans play ? everyday. Anyway I hope I get to see a mammoth or saber tooth tiger in my lifetime.
  • damobb2deep
    damobb2deep Members Posts: 19,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They also fail 2 realize cloned animal deteriorate half as fast as the original so they life expectancy sucks... They tend 2 have lots of health issues as well...

Would I like 2 see the ? ? Kinda but I know there are too many issues that will come from that...