current nfl player to come out soon?

Options
TheBoyRo
TheBoyRo Members Posts: 13,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
When it comes to the NFL’s willingness to accept an openly ? player, some think that the absence from the NFL of an openly ? player proves the league isn’t ready.

Under that standard, the NFL may soon be ready. Ready or not.

Mike Freeman of CBSSports.com reports that “a current ? player is strongly considering coming out publicly within the next few months — and after doing so, the player would attempt to continue his career.”

Per Freeman, the player fears the reaction not from within the locker room, but from homophobic fans. And that’s a legitimate concern; the combination of paying for a ticket and supporting a team and consuming a little alcohol (or a lot) turns normal people into loud, classless, profane jerks who will do and say anything to get under the skin of the members of the visiting team. And sometimes the members of the home team.

We’ve been discussing the issue of ? NFL players with folks in and around the game for the past several weeks, and the consensus is that, because sexual orientation isn’t obvious, a ? football player will be inclined to remain discreet, because football players ultimately are just that — football players. They want to play football, and the fame/notoriety/whatever that comes from coming out will serve only to keep the focus on something other than football.

Most players don’t want to create distractions, for any reason. Players who aren’t stars fear that, if they create distractions, the team will choose another player of relatively equal skill who doesn’t draw attention away from the team.

Team is the key. Most football players are committed to that concept. Drawing attention to themselves undermines the philosophy of team first.

But this doesn’t mean a player who perhaps sees his career ending won’t consider the boost that may come from coming out. That’s why the precise language of Freeman’s report is intriguing.

“The player would attempt to continue his career” after coming out, Freeman writes. This suggests that the player may not currently have a team, or that the player believes he may not make it onto the final 53-man roster of the team for which he currently plays.

We’re reluctant to apply cynicism to what would be a watershed moment for pro sports, but it would be naive to assume, given the team-first focus of football, that a ? player thinking about coming out of the closet hasn’t considered both how the move could hurt him and how it could help him. For a marginal player who may be on his way out of the league, the indirect benefit of coming out could be getting another chance to play from a team that chooses to embrace diversity — or that doesn’t want to be perceived as shunning it.

Regardless of the motivation or the timing, it will require significant courage for any current NFL player to come out. And we hope that the decision by one ? NFL player to embrace who he is will prompt more to do the same, immediately thereafter. That way, the distraction will be diluted and those who would begrudge people the ability to simply be who they are would have reason to quickly get past an issue that has no bearing on a person’s football ability.

Comments

• Matt-
    Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • SleepwalkingInJapan
    SleepwalkingInJapan Members Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • TooGood
    TooGood Members Posts: 31
    Options
    Its gonna be Ayanbadejo from the Ravens. Every the camera or reporter get close to him, he promoting homosexuality.
    He talk more bout ? rights than Tebow talk bout ?
  • bignorm
    bignorm Members Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Well, Jeff Garcia retired.

It has to be either
    T.O. or Teo
  • infamous114
    infamous114 Members, Moderators Posts: 52,202 Regulator
    Options
    Probably a kicker or punter.
  • greenwood1921
    greenwood1921 Members Posts: 47,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

As for the faggotry -- just come out with it. The worst part is you suckin and takin ? , not "coming out about it".

How can you be embarrassed by anything if you're a man that sucks ? for pleasure?

You relinquished your ? to give long ago, playa.

^^^^^^^
    Real ? talk.

I hate how "they" get the spotlight bcuz they admit that they suck ? and get ? in the ass. Its like admitting you are a ? is the new popular "viral video of the week". Instant fame. Its becoming too common,? disgusting. The term coming out is becoming everyday language . That is not cool. I want a ? to hold a press conference to announce that he just got the best piece of ? he ever had in his whole entire life. Now that would be news.

*A.C. Green clicks co-sign.*
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    why?

if he bites pillows then bite ? pillows ...why we gotta know about it?

damn i miss the old days.
  • Trollio
    Trollio Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    somebody from either

florida
    49ers
    defensive lineman
    4th string qb
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i hear what yall saying but on the flip side shouldnt they be able to come out without being treated different? just as long as they perform on the field and not try and get with teammates who arent ? ?
  • Matt-
    Options
    aneed123 wrote: »
    i hear what yall saying but on the flip side shouldnt they be able to come out without being treated different? just as long as they perform on the field and not try and get with teammates who arent ? ?

if a player is going to come out, he shouldn't do it some faggy celebratory way like he's the jackie robinson of homosexuals in sports. The more attention he brings to himself the more likely it is that he, and others, will be treated differently. If they don't want people making a big deal about their sexuality then they shouldn't make their "coming out" such a big deal. Don't do interviews. don't hold a press conference. don't march through the streets of san fransisco, don't do anything. Be a ? ? , for lack of a better word. If being ? were black, then act in a way that would ? off Jim Brown. Don't do anything public for your cause. Just be what you are and act normal.

nh @ this post

• aneed123
    Options
    Matt- wrote: »

if a player is going to come out, he shouldn't do it some faggy celebratory way like he's the jackie robinson of homosexuals in sports. The more attention he brings to himself the more likely it is that he, and others, will be treated differently. If they don't want people making a big deal about their sexuality then they shouldn't make their "coming out" such a big deal. Don't do interviews. don't hold a press conference. don't march through the streets of san fransisco, don't do anything. Be a ? ? , for lack of a better word. If being ? were black, then act in a way that would ? off Jim Brown. Don't do anything public for your cause. Just be what you are and act normal.

nh @ this post

in and ideal world yeah.... but in reality as soon as he comes out he will be treated differently maybe even cut. they then it really becomes a circus with lawsuits and daily media coverage. why cant they just treat em regular like Agron from Spartacus lol
  • Matt-
    Options

nh @ this post

in and ideal world yeah.... but in reality as soon as he comes out he will be treated differently maybe even cut. they then it really becomes a circus with lawsuits and daily media coverage. why cant they just treat em regular like Agron from Spartacus lol

because its not regular at all
  • aneed123
    Options

nh @ this post

i see too many ? folk in this world to say it aint regular.... Im against all discrimination tho. the goal is to win and for me to get my millions.... if the ? ? is good on the field and dont bother me let him live
  • Matt-
    Options

nh @ this post

i see too many ? folk in this world to say it aint regular.... Im against all discrimination tho. the goal is to win and for me to get my millions.... if the ? ? is good on the field and dont bother me let him live

it doesn't matter how many ? people that you've seen (which is kinda weird, but whatever) homosexuality is highly irregular. and a ? in the NFL would be about as irregular of a thing as there is.
  • aneed123
    Options

nh @ this post

it doesn't matter how many ? people that you've seen (which is kinda weird, but whatever) homosexuality is highly irregular. and a ? in the NFL would be about as irregular of a thing as there is.

nh @ this post

how is it weird? u see ? folk everywhere... family members etc... hell I live in Atl. ? in NFL is irregular but best believe there are many undercovers playing right now.
  • Matt-
    Options
    i don't see ? folk everywhere. and undercover ? is just ? . but there is no reason to believe that there are many ? nfl players right now.
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Whoever does it 1st is gonna cash in like a ? ..tv shows....? gonna get a job hosting whenever and wherever they want....? folks support their own like crazy...might take over for ellen for a minute then spin off with there own show...then ther is the book about how other players treated you the book tour and some more ?

i believe there is probably 2/3 ? dudes a team.
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He should just tell his teammates and coaches "Im ? yall" and leave it as that. Dont need no conference or reports that a player is thinkin of comin out soon
  • 1of1
    1of1 Members Posts: 37,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hopefully It's Rivers center. ? ass ? .
  • Serious Juice Mayne
    Serious Juice Mayne Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's Tom Brady
  • cobbland
    cobbland Members Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    NFL team asks Colorado's Nick Kasa: 'Do you like girls?'
    By Gregg Rosenthal
    Around The League Editor
    Published: Feb. 27, 2013 at 09:34 a.m.
    Updated: Feb. 28, 2013 at 09:58 a.m.

NFL teams try to catch prospects off-guard when they interview them at the NFL Scouting Combine. During a sample 15-minute session, for instance, NFL Network's Steve Mariucci asked West Virginia quarterback Geno Smith what the "drug of choice" was on his campus.

Smith seemed stunned for a moment, then said he didn't know.

But there is a line in these sessions that shouldn't be crossed. Miami Dolphins GM Jeff Ireland was roundly criticized for asking Dez Bryant three years ago whether Bryant's mother was a prostitute. Colorado tight end Nick Kasa gave an example of a question asked this week that should raise eyebrows.

"They ask you like, 'Do you have a girlfriend?' Are you married? Do you like girls?' Those kinds of things, and you know it was just kind of weird. But they would ask you with a straight face, and it's a pretty weird experience altogether," Kasa told ESPN Radio Denver Tuesday, via ProFootballTalk.

It sounds more than weird. It's embarrassing. I could imagine folks in the league office reading this and cringing, so I reached out to NFL spokesman Greg Aiello.

"Like all employers, our teams are expected to follow applicable federal, state and local employment laws," he said in a statement. "It is league policy to neither consider nor inquire about sexual orientation in the hiring process.

"In addition, there are specific protections in our Collective Bargaining Agreement with the players that prohibit discrimination against any player, including on the basis of sexual orientation. We will look into the report on the questioning of Nick Kasa at the Scouting Combine. Any team or employee that inquires about impermissible subjects or makes an employment decision based on such factors is subject to league discipline."

It sounds like the league will find out from Kasa what team asked him the sexual orientation questions. It makes you wonder if the team asks all prospects about their sexual orientation or whether they target certain prospects.

Whatever the reason, it's a ridiculous practice. Look for the league to follow up on this one.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000145664/article/nfl-team-asks-colorados-nick-kasa-do-you-like-girls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQxiGMTUVwc

http://youtu.be/m66IY0vkCUI

http://youtu.be/hsI0vW3uDV0

http://youtu.be/Xwb6apgm3zE

http://youtu.be/kUeeGUQIsjA
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Why do we need to know this ? ? I watch football because I like the sport not because I need to know every personal detail of every player's life. You like ? in the ass? Great, but why do you feel that is something the public just has to know?