Why Do ? Constantly Take "L's" Educationally?

Options
Maximus Rex
Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2013 in R & R (Religion and Race)
One of the things that I constantly trip off of is ? 's lackadaisical, sometimes ambivalent, and at times, their explicit apathy towards education. For example, ? will complain about how wack the NYC public schools are, but the Asians and good white folks that send their kids to Stuyvesant, Bronx Science, and Brooklyn Tech, (three of the best public high schools in the nation,) and the feeder schools that send their students to the those high schools don't seem to have those complaints. It seems that the New York City public school system is working just fine for them.

I always found it disheartening that my hometown of Richmond, CA (which is about six miles away from UC Berkeley,) that I didn't know anybody who went to Cal or that my former school district doesn't send a lot of students to Cal, Stanford, UCLA, SC, or USF. What really ? my head up was when I learned where Columbia was at when I moved to NYC. For those of you who don't know, Columbia is in Morningside Heights, and the next neighborhood over is Harlem. Here you have a university that's ranked number one in the city and state, in the top five in the country, damn near right outside of your door, but ? aren't taken advantage of the opportunity. The same with City College and New York University, though the thing with City College is when the Ivies stopped discriminating against Jews and Catholics the quality of the academics fell off.

Unfortunately, I've come to the conclusion that on a whole, education is something we as people don't take seriously and hold dear. We give lip service to the importance of education, but at the end of the day we're not serious and we're not trying to win. Look at Asians, those muthafuckas came over here, not being able to speak any English, two years later, they're getting straight A's, five later they're skipping a grade, ten years later they're getting full ride scholarships to the best schools in the nation. While ? are saggin' skinny jeans, young girls are having babies at sixteen, some are selling dope and gangbanging, and are subject the ones that are trying to better themselves to intense scorn and ridicule, then have nerve enough to call the academically inclined kids, "nerds," or accuse them of being "white."

People will argue that reason by blacks lag behind in school is due to a lack of funding, lack of supplies, dilapidated buildings, and old technology. However, you can have fully funded schools, getting discounts from Staples to be fully stocked with supplies, brand new or marbled out buildings like the big library on 42nd St. and state-of-the-art technology, but if ? still have the same mind set they have now the result will still be the same, it will just happen in nicer facilities.

Comments

• zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    IT's just lack of discipline but that's to be expected coming from a people with little respect for fatherhood and an even weaker respect for the extended family system.
  • Drew_Ali
    Drew_Ali Members Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It goes back to relating education to "acting white"

However.....

These ? have no problem supporting schools known for blatant discrimination like UGA, & Alabama.........

*football*

Education is acting white but ? will run the rock for a basket-weaving degree........
  • antoseeg
    antoseeg Members Posts: 306 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Knowledge is a resource the same way salt and steel are. It has to be acquired in order to be used. Most people do not know this. They just assume they are smart and know how the world works based solely off of their personal thoughts and opinions. This is why most people do not bother to acquire knowledge.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Doesn't have much to do with this whole "acting white" ? , its more about immediate gratification and dream chasing than anything.

Lack of long term planning and no vision for the future, plus how celebrated get rich quick schemes are and this country's obsession with money is a deadly mix.

As a kid, you flip on the TV and you see Lil Wayne on one channel and Cornel West on another which lifestyle is going to be more attractive? Now what did he do to get that more attractive lifestyle? Which one of 'em more likely to end up in a Forbes list? Which is more famous? No surprise a kid says "ima do what Lil Wayne is doing".

Its the same with playing ball. ESPN going on & on about contracts worth millions of dollars and there's no academic willing to go on TV and mention his salary...and if he did it might be the equivalent of a ? sittin on an NBA bench.

Its a combination of immediate gratification (which leads to slanging dope and robberies), and those who are willing to show discipline and do hard work only willing to do so to chase dreams. When you got millionaire 16-yr old rappers and a ? being given $100m right outta high school to play basketball its not hard figure it out.

The goals aren't realistic in most hoods, but then again we don't see all those stringy haired white boys who do the same thing in their parents garage trying to be the next Metallica, we don't really realize the goals are simply unrealistic period in this country. Its not even about education (which is a large part of it) but its about living a normal life and being an everyday person being ? on. What happened to people wanting to be electricians or fire fighters? They realized rappers and ball players made more money and did less work...the American dream.
  • Maximus Rex
    edited March 2013
    Options
    knights wrote: »
    From without and within the building crumbles. Long as ? post forthcoming.

I read this article for Rhetoric of Hip Hop last semester that said people from broken and single-parent homes are less likely to finish a project once it gets difficult. Having one or no parents to walk them through the entire process from beginning to end to show them what (1) perseverance is when the project gets difficult, and (2) there is as much praise for finishing a project as there is in starting one, the child grows up only interested in things for as long as he or she receives attention.

Now apply that to my people.

K-5 (if you're lucky) good grades are celebrated, praised, and highlighted. The kid is loving the attention, so he or she works harder to keep the attention coming.

6-8 getting a good grade isn't celebrated as much as it is expected. Homework is getting harder, but no one's there to help with it or the person who is there might not get it either. An A is "good." No return on the hard work + outside influences = kid starts slacking.

9-12 there is no praise for academic excellence for most. In fact, it's usually the opposite and seen as "being white" or "thinking you're smart." Most male peers hop off here to chase girls, and praise is generated from pulling superficial things like rebounds, touchdowns, hoes, and money the fast way.

The Valedictorian who never partied, got straight A's, and won a scholarship to Harvard is less important than the team winning state with Carlito scoring 25 and grabbing 10 boards. 4 years of struggling in books by yourself vs. running laps, playing a game, and getting hoes. Easy choice.

There's an example in the previous example.

The article basically reveals a trend in broken and single-home children, which black folks are the leaders in unfortunately, and that's trendiness. Media makes it sound cool, but here's the reality: we're rapidly becoming if we aren't already a people who trend hop. Problem is, we treat ? that isn't a trend--like education--like a trend.

Look at Hip Hop. We start so much ? and stop the minute it gets "too hard" and the attention wanes.

DJing, breaking, graffiti--hell, even writing ? rhymes down to make them intricate is wack now. Difficulty. Why haul records when you can rap? Why dance when you can mug? Why run from transit when you can do nothing? Why write rhymes for days and hours when you can spit off the dome?

Now look at each one of those and how they've been handled by people who come from cultures that are more "traditional" and where running from adverse situations isn't overlooked or allowed. Asians, Africans, Europeans--DJing, breaking, graffiti, and intricately rhyming are all still cool as ? . Us? "You DJing? You still on that ? ? Word? You STILL dancing like that? Word? You still reading and going to school ? ?"

That's why we take educational L's. Education is a trend to us. We celebrate the start-adversity-completion relationship of everything before education. Jail bids, making it to the NBA/NFL/MLB, and child support responsibilities all get bigger parties than graduation. How can we expect anything else? More love coming out of Rykers than NYU. Meanwhile, education and hairstyles on the same level...

AvN_wpjCQAEeIKZ.jpg:large

I'm Omnipotens Maximus Rex and I approve of this message. A powerful and profound post my ? .
  • Undefeatable
    Undefeatable Members Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This is what we should be talking about in the GnS, not here where nobody comes.

Anyway, black people in general do not value education as much as other groups, but white people are implicated in this being true.
  • desertrain10
    desertrain10 Members Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    yea t/s lets ignore the last 500 years of american history.... smh

anyways here's some good news

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQbfdIxccwE

Urban Prep Graduates All College-Bound 4th Year in A Row

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/29/urban-prep-graduates-all-_n_2981203.html

• Paul Hate.
    Paul Hate. Members Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Single motherhood,lack of responsible male figures who traditionally take the disciplinarian role.That's like 95% of black america's problem outside of racism.
  • Maximus Rex
    Options

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/29/urban-prep-graduates-all-_n_2981203.html

How is that you had people like Fredrick Douglass and Malcolm who taught themselves who to read, Gen. Benjamin O. Davis, who was the first black general, and Thurgood Marshall. Despite being subjected to slavery for two hundred and forty-four years and institutionalized racism for another sixty-eight years. We had thriving communities with a solid economic base. Black Wall St. was just in Tulsa, OK, there were vibrant black business districts all over America. I'm not trying to marginalize what we subjected to during the Jim Crow Era, but an argument can be made that under the circumstances we were quite successful and we made it happen.

? love to talk about machinations of the white man, but can't it argued that one of his machinations is to have us talking about how for most of our history in America we were slaves, then oppressed, marginalized, terrorized, and disenfranchised as a means to to show that we weren't ? and didn't have ? and as a result we internalize that mindset to point were it manifests itself as a reality and we use as an excuse to explain we "aren't ? ," and don't have ? in 2013?
  • Maximus Rex
    edited March 2013
    Options
    How is that you had people like Fredrick Douglass and Malcolm who taught themselves who to read, Gen. Benjamin O. Davis, who was the first black general, and Thurgood Marshall. Despite being subjected to slavery for two hundred and forty-four years and institutionalized racism for another sixty-eight years. We had thriving communities with a solid economic base. Black Wall St. was just in Tulsa, OK, there were vibrant black business districts all over America. I'm not trying to marginalize what we subjected to during the Jim Crow Era, but an argument can be made that under the circumstances we were quite successful and we made it happen.

? love to talk about machinations of the white man, but can't it argued that one of his machinations is to have us talking about how for most of our history in America we were slaves, then oppressed, marginalized, terrorized, and disenfranchised as a means to to show that we weren't ? and didn't have ? and as a result we internalize that mindset to point were it manifests itself as a reality and we use as an excuse to explain we "aren't ? ," and don't have ? in 2013?

Dude, you don't see the irony in your post. You talk about the last "500 years of American history," but that despite that history, those young men are overcoming obstacles and are making it happen. How long are we going to use segregation as an excuse to why we're not taking advantage of being an American citizen?
  • Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I hate that acting white myth... I'm educated... always been an honor student and none of my hood ? said I was acting white...
    when I get around the old wolves, they give me dap for my accomplishments... anecdotal, I know...
    anyway, the issue is parents... parents need to emphasize education and be an active part of their children's academic development...
    u cant rely on the school system alone...
  • Maximus Rex
    Options
    Stopitfive wrote: »
    I hate that acting white myth... I'm educated... always been an honor student and none of my hood ? said I was acting white...
    when I get around the old wolves, they give me dap for my accomplishments... anecdotal, I know...
    anyway, the issue is parents... parents need to emphasize education and be an active part of their children's academic development...
    u cant rely on the school system alone...

Co-sign, the parents are suppose to reinforce what children learn in school. The thing is, with a lot of parents, (i. e. the single mothers,) they barely understand the material themselves. I'm not shame to said it (because now I go to St. John's, which is ranked 147 out of like 377 schools,) at my old school, though I love it immensely because it helped get to where I am now, those were some stupid muthafuckas. I'd never forget on my first day in my Intro to Law class, ? didn't know how many branches of there were and what they were called. I was like, "How do you get out of the eighth grade and not know what the branches of government are and what they do. Then comes the killing part, my professor asks "How many states are there?" I'm over here trippin' hella hard off the stupid muthafuckas that say something other than fifty. I'm thinking to myself, "How are these muthafuckas saying something other than fifty? Seriously, I can't tell you exactly when I learned there were fifty states in the union, that's how long I've known that, but if I had to guess, I 'd figure it was somewhere around the time I learned "D" was the fourth letter of the alphabet, and there are (then away,) nine planets. When the one chick said there were fifty-two states, and I said, "Who told you that?" The ? had nerve enough to act like she wanted to get an attitude. ? are just dumb as ? in America and like a meal from McDonald's, "They're loving it."
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Another thing, and this is primarily for college & HS students, but you can't teach a ? that's not willing to learn....you just can't do it.

If they don't have the inclination to read materials, do homework, study etc then they won't learn ? . Too many HS & college students fall into the social life and just be like "? school".

I'm sorry but I can't blame the parents of a kid out of middle school. At 15, 16, 17 a parent shouldn't have to hover over you like a little ass child. You gotta do right on your own B.

I was 15 when I dropped out and my mama was cool with it (after awhile) but she didn't just let me be stupid as ? either. I got shipped off to Job Corps in the ? fields of Indiana surrounded by nothing and was on stuck for 8 months. I learned a lot from that journey, because it was the same ? there. ? skipping, socializing, taking a trade that shouldn't last more than 5 months but taking 2 years to finish, not going to GED classes, paying people to do your High School Equivalency for you...all types of immature ? .

? just didn't want to learn, you can't force it and you can't always blame other people...sometime its the ? kid that's the problem. High school dropout rates are high as hell but ? blaming the parents aren't helping the kid, its the KID that's the problem.
    You can't tell me a 16yr old still needs to be walked to the door of his school by his mommy, and even if she does...that don't stop the ? from leaving later on! She can't sit there all 8hrs of the day dude!

I been a juvenile delinquent, I been there in front of counselors, my mama, the police etc and I wasn't ready to learn ? . I couldn't be threatened, beat, coerced, bribed or nothing, it was "? school" period. Eventually I got myself together because I saw how ? up life is for people who haven't learned. I realized how people talk to you change, how they act around you change, the type of women you meet improves (dramatically), just a better life by being smart...just got to find a way to show these kids bruh.
  • Maximus Rex
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    Another thing, and this is primarily for college & HS students, but you can't teach a ? that's not willing to learn....you just can't do it.

If they don't have the inclination to read materials, do homework, study etc then they won't learn ? . Too many HS & college students fall into the social life and just be like "? school".

I'm sorry but I can't blame the parents of a kid out of middle school. At 15, 16, 17 a parent shouldn't have to hover over you like a little ass child. You gotta do right on your own B.

I was 15 when I dropped out and my mama was cool with it (after awhile) but she didn't just let me be stupid as ? either. I got shipped off to Job Corps in the ? fields of Indiana surrounded by nothing and was on stuck for 8 months. I learned a lot from that journey, because it was the same ? there. ? skipping, socializing, taking a trade that shouldn't last more than 5 months but taking 2 years to finish, not going to GED classes, paying people to do your High School Equivalency for you...all types of immature ? .

? just didn't want to learn, you can't force it and you can't always blame other people...sometime its the ? kid that's the problem. High school dropout rates are high as hell but ? blaming the parents aren't helping the kid, its the KID that's the problem.
    You can't tell me a 16yr old still needs to be walked to the door of his school by his mommy, and even if she does...that don't stop the ? from leaving later on! She can't sit there all 8hrs of the day dude!

I been a juvenile delinquent, I been there in front of counselors, my mama, the police etc and I wasn't ready to learn ? . I couldn't be threatened, beat, coerced, bribed or nothing, it was "? school" period. Eventually I got myself together because I saw how ? up life is for people who haven't learned. I realized how people talk to you change, how they act around you change, the type of women you meet improves (dramatically), just a better life by being smart...just got to find a way to show these kids bruh.

I understand what you're saying. "X" of kids are just going to do "? up kids; however, with us, there's just too many of us that are ? up. Our drop and literacy rates should comparable to everybody else's, but there not, their through the ? roof. I don't expect schools in Bed-Stuy, East Oakland, or South Central, (whatever the ? they renamed it,) to be on par with those in most affluent communities, (at least not yet,) but there's absolutely no reason as to why kids going to inner city high schools shouldn't be able to college level work.

We all start out on a level playing field and kids regardless of socioeconomic backgrounds show the same aptitude for learning, it just somewhere in the six grade and going on into junior high school, were black kids, start to be like "? this school. Imma rap, own a label, or playball." Young girls, I don't what they ? they're thinking, I guess they figure they're going to get a balla, or just get a county check, some WIC vouchers and call it a day.
  • desertrain10
    desertrain10 Members Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2013
    Options

Dude, you don't see the irony in your post. You talk about the last "500 years of American history," but that despite that history, those young men are overcoming obstacles and are making it happen. How long are we going to use segregation as an excuse to why we're not taking advantage of being an American citizen?

Ok.. u make some good points....

I just disagree with the assertion in the op that just because whites, asians seem to be doing fine, the public school system is doing its job

Imho that's ? . Ur comparing apples and oranges....

Not to mention, even our brightest and best students black and white lag behide their international counter parts..., so maybe we all should have something to complain about

Anyways

I posted that video because it was a positive new story and also I feel that many black students and impoverished children need specialized attention/accommodations like Urban Prep provides to succeed given the obstacles these children face on a daily basis... especially considering that numerous studies have suggested that public schools punish blk students far more harshly than their white counter parts who misbehave, and are quicker to assign blk students to special ed than their white counterparts

As far as parenting goes ...parents need to step up, but at the same time u cannot ask the blind and or hobbled to lead ...many of these children are the offspring of drug addicts, the illiterate, alcoholics, prison inmates, a single mother who has to work 2, 3 jobs to survive....should we not ask for accommodations for these students or should they suffer for the sins of their mothers and fathers

Of course you have ur success stories but these are the exceptions and not the rule
  • KNiGHTS
    KNiGHTS Members Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You can't sit here and say it's not the parents fault, homie. No one is born knowing how to study and be responsible. Those are trained traits. If you don't have good study habits at 15 or 16, it's because your parents didn't hover over you at 5, 6, 7, 8, etc. and teach you then. Hell, I'm of the notion that if my kid isn't ? , I'm gonna be on his neck until he gets right. I can't be like, "Pfft, you ain't doing right by now, you're ? ."

What kinda punk-ass defeatist ? is that? "You 15 and you STILL reading on a 5th grade level? Word? ? it then." Smh@? not quitting the grind to be a rapper after 20 years of being local and still chasing the NBA at 30 at the park like, "I'ma tryout for the Knicks, B. I got it this year," but bailing out on their kids at 15 'cause the little homie won't/can't do his homework on his own.

There is no time limit on parenting the right way, and my black folks love to act like 18 is the limit.

"Better be out at 18." Hold on. Did you teach them how to SURVIVE by the time they're 18? Do they understand credit and how it works? Bills? Do they display signs of adult maturity that indicates they can make it successfully on their own at 18? Or are they still doing dumb ? like partying until 4 a.m. and gotta be at work at 7? Spending their whole check on J's and games without considering saving some loot and denying that instant gratification purchase?

See what I mean about trending? ? is even in the way we parent.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2013
    Options
    I put a lot of the blame on the media that play a large role in socializing these youth. Being good in school is presented to them as being bad.

Couple that with the fact that these youth often dont have parents who did the post secondary thing to lead by example and show them the practical value of it, and that these kids often times believe they cannot afford to do the school thing.

The system is designed to increase the size of the lower classes and decrease the size of the upper classes. The growing income inequalities in America are proof of this.
  • irad4185
    irad4185 Members Posts: 105 ✭✭
    Options
    knights wrote: »

K-5 (if you're lucky) good grades are celebrated, praised, and highlighted. The kid is loving the attention, so he or she works harder to keep the attention coming.

6-8 getting a good grade isn't celebrated as much as it is expected. Homework is getting harder, but no one's there to help with it or the person who is there might not get it either. An A is "good." No return on the hard work + outside influences = kid starts slacking.

9-12 there is no praise for academic excellence for most. In fact, it's usually the opposite and seen as "being white" or "thinking you're smart." Most male peers hop off here to chase girls, and praise is generated from pulling superficial things like rebounds, touchdowns, hoes, and money the fast way.

Wow. This ? right here. Thats a powerful post.
    200x200px-ZC-a2fa46c4_dylan-shock.gif

Constructive supervision plays a major role. My peoples stopped giving a ? about my schooling after like 6th grade. It went from doing homework together to ,just tell me where i have to sign.
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? are lazy and hate hard work. They think they should get a full ride for what the ? happened in slavery that happened a 150 years ago. Shiftless folks I tell you.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I never understood this ? either. I remember in high school, people who made straight "As" were either ignored or looked at with disdain, but this cat failed out of pretty much everything and ? made him popular around the school. How backwards is that? On top of that people would routinely goof off and fall asleep while taking the exit exam. This was the test you had to pass to actually get a diploma as opposed to a certificate saying you've gone through 12 grades of school.
  • twatgetta
    twatgetta Members Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? have yet to shake the stain of Jim Crow from their minds so being shiftless ? with no motivation is the way.
  • Ajackson17
    Options
    kai_valya wrote: »
    Ajackson17 wrote: »
    ? are lazy and hate hard work. They think they should get a full ride for what the ? happened in slavery that happened a 150 years ago. Shiftless folks I tell you.

you are really disgusting

i hope you die in an event of spontaneous combustion caused by you being more ? than you are human

Im really hurt by that comment Kai and coming from you it hurts 10X more.
  • Maximus Rex
    Options

i hope you die in an event of spontaneous combustion caused by you being more ? than you are human

But is the ? lying though Kai?
  • Ajackson17
    Options

But is the ? lying though Kai?

Trust me doesn't know. I been to an all black school and anybody who been there knows the deal how education isn't respected there. It's worst now when I went to school a 10 years ago.