Justin Timberlake Forced Back To Music Due To $20 Million Advance (and LN called in Jay-Z)

Options
waterproof
waterproof Members Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
i knew it was a reason for the full media blitz for the album, there was no build for the album just a quick media blitz, Justin waited for the last minute to record also, made the album in 20 says, and this Jay-z ? seemed funny from the start because JT turned down Jay-z once for a tour,

In 2008 Live Nation and Justin began doing business. The concert industry giant first purchased Signatures, a company that licences Timberlake’s merchandise. Next LN agreed to make Justin’s tequila brand, 901, the official tequila of Live Nation venues.

In exchange JT committed to a tour. He was given a $20 million advance. $5 million of that he wouldn’t have to return as long as he completed the tour.

Fast forward to 2013 and LN was getting anxious and wanted JT to make good on their deal.

“There is a due date by which you have to start touring. At some point, [Live Nation] has to call in the loan,” a source told THR.

For a stadium tour JT needed a new album to make sure fans filled the seats, so he got into the studio with Timbaland to record The 20/20 Experience. Justin’s manager Johnny Wright told CNN the project was completed in just 20 days.

Typically, an album launch for a megastar of Timberlake’s stature would take a year to set up at radio and retail, in addition to recording time. But with 20/20, the public first got word of its March 19 release in January.

“Suit & Tie,” the lead single off of the album didn’t take off on radio as quickly as planned. Worried a stadium tour might not sell as well as expected, Live Nation reached a deal with Jay-Z to co-headline.

Their joint tour is expected to gross $60 million, which is more than enough to satisfy Justin’s financial obligation to Live Nation.

“Live Nation always envisioned an arena tour for Justin Timberlake. After their successful studio collaboration, Justin and Jay-Z approached us, and we are thrilled to promote their stadium tour,” a Live Nation rep told THR.

Comments

• qawshun
    qawshun Members Posts: 9,138 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    To me it was more like jay help this boy make our money back pls
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LOL

When I brought up the issue of JayZ doing way too many tours against releasing new music on The Reason, the warriors all descended on me . .

LiveNation are gonna re-coup their multi-million investment one way or another

On a sidenote, that album sounds pretty good if it was wrapped up in 20 days . .
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    So pretty much Live Nation said "Make our money back Justin" and added Jay in order to boost ticket sales when they got worried they wouldn't. Sounds more like a credit to Jay-Z than a negative for him if Live Nation were worried Justin wouldnt sell out the tour on his own.
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    So in other words Jay wins since he seems like the "in case of emergency hit up jay"
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    rip.dilla wrote: »
    LOL

When I brought up the issue of JayZ doing way too many tours against releasing new music on The Reason, the warriors all descended on me . .

On a sidenote, that album sounds pretty good if it was wrapped up in 20 days . .

LOL at doing too many tours, Jay-z barely tours relative to people like U2, Madonna, Stones,etc.

Do you know how many ways Roc Nation/Live Nation is eating, these ? making money off publishing, touring, merchandising,etc off Rihanna, Shakira, Timbaland, Calvin Harris,etc. If it was a slave deal Roc Nation would of been rushing and forcing their artist to put out albums at a crazy pace.

Seems like a win to me, give me a 100 mil dollar 10 year deal and i split profits off the the business you generate but i still maintain ownership. Madonna became a billionaire off the same deal with Live Nation, same ? for Bono.
  • Valentinez A. Kaiser
    Valentinez A. Kaiser Members Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2013
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    LOL

LOL at doing too many tours, Jay-z barely tours relative to people like U2, Madonna, Stones,etc.

Do you know how many ways Roc Nation/Live Nation is eating, these ? making money off publishing, touring, merchandising,etc off Rihanna, Shakira, Timbaland, Calvin Harris,etc. If it was a slave deal Roc Nation would of been rushing and forcing their artist to put out albums at a crazy pace.

Seems like a win to me, give me a 100 mil dollar 10 year deal and i split profits off the the business you generate but i still maintain ownership. Madonna became a billionaire off the same deal with Live Nation, same ? for Bono.

Madonna ain't no ? billionaire...
    There’s a reason Madonna isn’t on our Billionaires list: simply put, she’s not a billionaire.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/zackomalleygreenburg/2013/03/28/why-madonna-isnt-on-the-forbes-billionaires-list/
  • usmarin3
    Options
    LOL

There’s a reason Madonna isn’t on our Billionaires list: simply put, she’s not a billionaire.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/zackomalleygreenburg/2013/03/28/why-madonna-isnt-on-the-forbes-billionaires-list/

How would they know, all they do is guestimate. They don't know how she flips her money.
  • Valentinez A. Kaiser
    Valentinez A. Kaiser Members Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LOL

How would they know, all they do is guestimate. They don't know how she flips her money.

If that's the case, then all Forbes' Lists and celebrity net worth lists etc should be disputed both as being over inflated/under inflated values.
  • usmarin3
    Options
    LOL

If that's the case, then all Forbes' Lists and celebrity net worth lists etc should be disputed both as being over inflated/under inflated values.

Which they are imo, look at how long they've had the annual hiphop artist list stuck on the same numbers. lol They're basically saying these artist are spending the same amount of money as they are making, that doesn't even make sense.
  • rip.dilla
    Options
    Everytime y'all use the likes of The Rolling Stones, U2, Madonna, Springsteen etc as examples as to why Jigga does numerous and constant international concerts and tours. Really?

The Stones have been in the game going all the way back to the 60s, the Stones started recording music even before Jay was born. The others have been very popular multi-platinum artistes in the 80s. Why shouldn't they tour now in this era?

Whatever suits you JayZ fans but there was the WTT World tour, a few months that rounded up, then the Barclays Center concerts, then now this one all within the space of months . . he is winning alright
  • peagle05
    peagle05 Members Posts: 25,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    so...he made the 20/20 experience in 20 days....10 tracks with a part 2 coming later this year with another 10 tracks? sounds like a bunch of marketing ? to me. could be true though...just sounds weird to me
  • rip.dilla
    Options
    ^^^ It does sound a bit funny and weird 'cos I thought he'd quit music for good and was going fully with movies and acting . .

There's probably some truth with all the back door dealings
  • Rubato Garcia
    Rubato Garcia Members Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Making it in 20 days could be why the album sounds so cohesive. Not always a bad thing just means he was in a zone.
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    LOL

They are all the time...a few celebrities who routinely make the Forbes list say it's inaccurate when reporting how much they're worth and they'll never let that information actually ever go public
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    he made the album during the summer of last year.
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    i don't know why yall surprised. If you signed to a label, you gonna pay that money back.
  • waterproof
    edited April 2013
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »
    So pretty much Live Nation said "Make our money back Justin" and added Jay in order to boost ticket sales when they got worried they wouldn't. Sounds more like a credit to Jay-Z than a negative for him if Live Nation were worried Justin wouldnt sell out the tour on his own.

and even more than that it shows you how the state of music is and how powerful is the labels when they give the full green light in the artist.

what I got out of the article is if label molds, and make an artist they like when that green light is given they will push your record to the radio and have the advertiser's go on a full blitz....

look how quick it happen if JT didn't have to owe that 20 million he will go in when he goes in, he knows his chops is in acting.........

when it was time that green light was given, he was on all the late night shows, commercials ect......

The Last time we seen something like that for an pop act was when BAD was about to be release, and it was a build up even after THRILLER..

But much has changed so what I also got out of it, that the rich music ex's are still trying find a POP act Mike Jax, and capture that music and magic and trying hard to push JT as the next Mike Jax and POP King.

I was on a site and they said some realest ? , they was talking about the Grammys and Late Night Performance of JT and one poster who was a fan of JT said it seem like his performance was force, a actor acting like a Pop King.....
  • mindright
    mindright Members Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    but.. do we really care tho?
  • r.prince18
    r.prince18 Members Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    hold on when did live nation become a label , i thought they were a touring company
  • waterproof
    Options
    mindright wrote: »
    but.. do we really care tho?

do you really care to post in a forum where music and music industry discussion is taking place, now you have to care to post in a thread just to say do we really care when you could of just dont post in the thread...

i do that ? everyday on the IC, if i see a thread that dont deserve my attention or i don't have no care for i dont post in it, simple ass that.....

but i guess it's human nature to be seen and heard...
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    good info, but i don't exactly see how Jay-z is suddenly a "slave". none of y'all can really say anything unless y'all are selfemployed
  • waterproof
    Options
    Damn NPR just dropped a scathing review, and with this information that's being DROPPED how JT was force to record to sell out arena's do you think it NPR was on to something and looked pass the smoke n mirrors....

SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS

Justin Timberlake's Musical Vision Isn't '20/20'
    by Tom Moon

For his long anticipated return to music, Justin Timberlake pulled out all the stops. He hired an old colleague, the hit-making machine Timbaland, to produce. He got rap kingpin Jay-Z to do a cameo. As executive producer, Timberlake made sure everything has that state-of-the-art sheen. And as the tune "Tunnel Vision" shows, Timberlake leaned heavily on the sound that made him a star: elaborate multitracked vocal harmonies.

Sure enough, The 20/20 Experience is ultra-plush all the way. Exceedingly competent — and relentlessly bland. This is what it sounds like when a pop star gets too big to fail.

"Suit and Tie" is the allegedly danceable first single. Perhaps you've heard it? Timberlake has, after all, been carpet-bombing late-night TV to generate excitement for the album launch. He's wise to work overtime on the sell, because there's so little song there: This little bitty two-note excuse for a melody sounds like something a preschooler might sing while playing with sock puppets at the kitchen table.

Timberlake has never been what you'd call a visionary, but on his last album, he showed a great sense of the pop refrain. This time, he's just plain timid. The songs have no edge, no zip — they're generic medium-tempo loops that last way too long, with a few clocking in at close to eight minutes. The length allows Timberlake to bring you your full daily requirement of mindless clichés. Track one: love as drug. Track four: love as sugary bubblegum. Track six: love as something that happens in a spaceship built for two.

There's a real art to lightweight feel-good pop. And for the most part, it's missing from Timberlake's latest. What we have, instead, is a celebrity feeling out his place in 2013, and you hear his worry. He's making calculations about the market, serving up a dim, cynical and decidedly limited vision of what pop music can be.