"Rap killed the soul singer"

Options
Splackavelli
Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2013 in R&B & Alternatives
so I woke up this morning tuned into music choice classic r&b station and the stylistics you are every thing was playing.
on the did you know portion of the channel they quoted one of the group as saying that rap killed the soul singer or their careers. does anybody agree with that statement. i mean nowadays the artist are mostly pop and sound pre pubescent like chris brown or trey songs. what happened to people that really sang not sing i mean sang like they had fire in their belly. you know soul music not just songs about relationships but songs with a social political message. although raheem devaughn made that bullet proof song a few years ago but who else do we have. what are your thoughts?

Comments

• playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Has some truth to it.. Now.. there is no subtlety in the music.. no depth.. no timelessness

Sure there are artist who possess great talents but before you didnt have to go to an underground bunker to find..

It was mainstream...blaring on the radio Its too much genre bending music.. ? the whole mothering industry crossed over...

everything is "Fast food" now, i blame it on the abundant frivolous nature of the culture/people/industry..

its simple and misguided to put all the heat on the suits...
  • DOC H0LL!DAY
    DOC H0LL!DAY Members Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    today's rap killed everything. past rap created them.
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    I agree in a way. Just said it the thread about The Dream in The Reason...too many R&B singer's lyrics sound like rap songs just being sung. No real melody to them, no real effort just comes off like "Let me sing 6 bars of music like I'm rapping 16"
  • playmaker88
    Options
    Rkelly..rapper phase.. was damn near a genesis to this ? .. smh.. im not talking.. Rkelly biggie..im talkin

cash money/cassidy..Goldilocks.. meteor man villian stage of Rkellys career
  • playmaker88
    Options
  • unRealLady1
    unRealLady1 Members Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2013
    Options
    I always wished I had that song singer voice, because I write those type of songs.. I can sing certain type of songs but only the ones I write... If I was a soul singer I would bring that back. Thats why I express myself thru poetry because I didnt have a good singing voice. I use to perform at the jazz clubs when I was younger, thats where I actually was founded and eventually I became some type of underground rapper that people couldnt understand.. I think it's because I started off as "jazz poet" and not a street poet, that the rap game didnt understand I how much I am from the streets..

Thats because I was trying to exscape the streets by becoming a artist, so I wasnt really looking for street cred as a artist. I use to go the jazz cafe's to escape the negativity and then I started saying my poetry.. Everyone liked me there, and thats how I got a buzz.. I use to be in a jazz band.
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    blame R Kelly, Puff Daddy, and the late 90s r&b singers and rappers
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Wild Self
    Wild Self Members Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nah, the lack of quality relationships killed the R & B of the past. Everyone is partying and getting into one night stands nowadays.
  • playmaker88
    Options
    Wild Self wrote: »
    Nah, the lack of quality relationships killed the R & B of the past. Everyone is partying and getting into one night stands nowadays.

eh...nah.. fam.. ..the Hippie age.. remember that and stevie wonder made this song..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bb3ytssr0vc

and its a great ? song.. but dad ass wrong..
  • playmaker88
    Options
    blame R Kelly, Puff Daddy, and the late 90s r&b singers and rappers

You are trippin.. rkelly in the later days.. yes...

What they had going on then was a great collab it never really compromised the music
  • BlackxChild
    BlackxChild Members Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Music in general changes.... It's the idiot fans and consumers that took the soul away.
  • unRealLady1
    Options
    The jazz poet was killed in the range of fire also. I use to feel I was a hiphop fan in the beggining, but then I started to see what the old folks was saying about it. They say hiphop is artform, but music before hiphop was about messages, and hiphop killed the message. I really dont look at RAP as a EVIL like everyonelse, because RAP been around before hiphop. Like what do you call a artist like gil scott heron today? A artist like this is rappin in my opinion. but get no respect as "hiphop".

They thought in the reason that I grew up anti hiphop, because my feelings changed thru the years. I use to think I was walking talking hiphop, until I seen the truth about the "artform".. and the hiphoppers do not give respect where respect is due. There are alot of regions and people that helped develop the art form of hiphop. It wasnt just newyork music. It didnt belong to one state or region.. People want to fight and ? over hiphop. When u think about it hiphop is poisin just like the old folk said it was, hiphop killed alot of parts of music.. and hiphoppers are too bias.. What is the hiphop revolution, what are they fighting over a STATE? a REGION? back then people were fighting for the PEOPLE as a WHOLE.. The real revolution, wasnt about states or REGIONS.. it was about a MESSAGE to the people...

http://youtu.be/wOeUpKCCSVQ
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nope, rap reached its pinnacle in the 90s. R&B was still good and popular in the 90s. I guess it could be argued that even then music wasn't as soulful as it was in the 70s and before. But that wasn't an abrupt change with the advent of rap. R&B started to move away from Soul and more towards Pop before Rap was even a force on the scene.
  • Roster Player #99
    Roster Player #99 Members Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    teddy riley and puff
  • unRealLady1
    edited April 2013
    Options
    alot of people today are into street respect... and I think it's needed to understand the streets, but I think its too many people trying to get street respect by becomming rappers. I think people like me are misunderstood, because I already have street respect, so when we become rappers people think it's to build cred that we already have.. This build the war where people are trying to prove where they come from because it's people in the game who don't believe that certain people come from the hood when we do.

Personally I never wanted street resepect in the rap game, I wanted real artist respect. My life was already street, and street was something I was trying to escape by being a artist. Thats why I started off a jazz poet. I was looking for a peace of mind. This do not mean I do not come from the streets. I just do not want a street career. That do not mean I'm anti black or anti street. or grew up WHITE. I understand Dboys very well.

Alot of people want to be artist to escape the street, and I think we are misunderstood as becomming artist to become street. This causes us to fight over dumb issues and prove the proven.. its people in the game that I know really sold weight, that people are in denial are "real drug dealers".. They are infactuated with the ? life that they wont let u out grow it.

They want u to spend the rest of your life proven the proven. and talking ? ... when alot of people came in the game to change.
  • unRealLady1
    edited April 2013
    Options
    some of the dope boy artist were living that ? that thats the only way they could come in ? ....alot of people think they are strickly entertainment and have got misguided that they became rappers to be gangsters...alot of the trap artist told real stories. rap was thier only way out. but ppl wont let them change.

I started out being a messenger and they found out I was from the streets and thought I was trying to be a gangsta rapper.
  • Garv*
    Garv* Members Posts: 474 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Nope on the contrary Neo Soul wouyldn't have made its emergence in the 90;s without rap. Singers like D'angelo, Erykah Badu, Bilal come from the same place as your Talib Kwelis, Mos Def etc. If it wasn't for Rap you woudn't have had the re emergence of singers on that political conscious tip imo, just singers singing about love etc. I think what you really mean is that Rap killed the 'RnB singer'
  • Roster Player #99
    Roster Player #99 Members Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    the ? is neo soul?
  • Garv*
    Options
    teddy riley and puff

Teddy Riley?

Teddy Riley made great music ? .
  • Garv*
    Options
    And Puff was behind great music as well, the likes of Mary J and Jodeci had a heavy rap influence but they were still putting out great music period, and the balance was needed.