edited April 2013 in IllGaming
Final_Fantasy_IX.jpg

one of my favorite final fantasy games

Comments

• grumpy_new_yorker
    grumpy_new_yorker Members Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2013
    Options
    It put the "Fantasy" back in FF after the disappointing FFVIII & Spirits Within movie.

It's in my top 3 FF's.
    1. FFVI
    2. FF XII
    3. FF IX
  • Vader_F_Kennedy
    Vader_F_Kennedy Members Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    this and 7 are ones i still love to play through
  • stoneface
    stoneface Members Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Game is a classic. Second best in my opinion to VI. And that card game was addictive as ? .

• Vader_F_Kennedy
    edited April 2013
    Options
    yea i spent alot of time playin that card game

which is character was yall favorite?

i like freya and ihated fightin beatrix
  • ohhhla
    ohhhla Members Posts: 10,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Duh.

Vader, I didn't know you like JRPG's.

FF9 is in my top 5.
  • stoneface
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Vader wrote: »

If you mean favorite in a fight, I liked Steiner. I was hoping you'd get Beatrix in your party, same with General Leo in VI.

• Vader_F_Kennedy
    Options
    ohhhla wrote: »
    Duh.

FF9 is in my top 5.

yea i ? wit rpgs

• Vader_F_Kennedy
    Options
    stoneface wrote: »

If you mean favorite in a fight, I liked Steiner. I was hoping you'd get Beatrix in your party, same with General Leo in VI.

yea freya was my fav i always had her in my party
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This was a pretty GOAT RPG imo.

256px-Legend_of_Dragoon.jpg

Im a fan of almost all of the final fantasies tho. Even ones i didnt necessarily like i still played till the final boss.
  • Vader_F_Kennedy
    Options
    wonder if thats on psn
  • ohhhla
    Options
    ohhhla wrote: »
    Duh.

FF9 is in my top 5.

yea i ? wit rpgs

JRPG's nowadays are cool to bash on.
  • genocidecutter
    genocidecutter Members Posts: 17,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2013
    Options
    suikoden-2-cover.jpg
    The best RPg you never played
  • Vader_F_Kennedy
    Options
    Damn u got all they special armors and weapons?
    Who was your favorite character
  • Vader_F_Kennedy
    Options
    Edit just seen u responded
  • Vader_F_Kennedy
    Options
    I still got tha original psone 4 disc game....? I'm gonna replay it this weekend...lol
  • Vader_F_Kennedy
    Options
    How did u feel bout FF10-2 wit tha 3 girls? I got it but never beat it
  • Vader_F_Kennedy
    Options
    Lol I got tha guide too....I liked paine out of the 3
  • stoneface
    edited April 2013
    Options
    How did u feel bout FF10-2 wit tha 3 girls? I got it but never beat it

If you can get past all the J-pop, fruity ? ; it's actually a dope game. I thought the battle system was underrated. ? was clean.

• genocidecutter
    genocidecutter Members Posts: 17,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sion wrote: »
    FF9 might edge out FF8 as my favorite RPG of all time. You see a lot of people underrate FF9 b/c they never caught the references and weren't ready for an FF that didn't revolve so heavily around a love story. FF9 intricately wove together every character & all their storylines and best of all ? It was immensely fun and had plenty of replay value. What a lot of people dont realize tho is that FF9 is actually a homage to all the FFs that came before, if you went to all the weapon shops (especially the ones in Lindenberg) they explain & reference all the weapons of the past FF characters & why they chose them. They also gave the origin of Garland & Gaia. If you were tapping X in the libraries or at Eiko's hometown you'd also learn the origins of the spells & Eidolons/Summons. Things like that (if you a ? FF fan like I am and have played all of them) made this game for me. I love also the sidequests they had, the card game (I was THE GOAT at it, man I wish they had it online LOLOL) I lost many hours just going from place to place and I'll have you know I got every single card too, it was waaaayy too much fun working to get everyone's final weapons & the best armors in the game, the landscapes and use of color was incredible.

Musically, visually, story-wise, conceptually, it is the best FF ever made IMO. FF7 is definitely up there but this game really does stand on a tier of it's own. The only thing that would've made it SHUT DOWN all the FFs was that it didn't have actual voices. If they had voices for the characters it would have been a wrap - unfortunately Squaresoft wasn't sure if they could afford it.

Final fantasy 9 was GOAT in all but if you want to talk about a true masterpiece look no further than this
    xenogears.jpg
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    FF8 is as your favorite Scion? Why? The plot and execution started the down fall of the series. Oddly enough i never played FF9 because I did not like 8. I need to play FF9 on my PSX emulator after running through FF7 again. Damn what happened Square?
  • ohhhla
    Options
    The FF8 praise on this board is an all time ridiculous.
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2013
    Options
    The best of the PSX FF games. I was getting tired of the way they kept exploiting the whole "slummy cyber punk" look. Something that had it's roots in FFVI (my favorite) when it was successfully juxtaposed with the fantasy elements the series had been known for.

Which is also something which then got overdone to the max with VII & VIII. Only good thing about that was that it made the series mainstream so 95% of you people that posted here even gave it a chance because of those games.

But I was really missing the knights and goofy looking black mages and overall FANTASY atmosphere & straight up whimsical nature of the NES & SNES FF games and IX brought that back tenfold. The old school approach seemed refreshing especially since it was an RPG era filled with FFVII clones. IX and Chrono Cross really made me give a ? about Square again for a brief while. It's still the last game in the franchise that I actually liked. The PS2 games sucked and I never even bothered with XIII.
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I highly doubt 9 is better than 7 for the simple fact that 9 is just a return to the older FF games which were not that great until FF4 (very underrated) and 7 was the bench mark of the franchise and did more that cyber punk. There is a reason why FF7's characters are the most celebrated and legendary. Everyone has their own opinion understandably, but some things just are undisputed like Jordan.
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2013
    Options
    You highly doubt an opinion?

Best characters? I think it had the most bland characters of any FF game up to that point. Cloud is one of the most uninteresting protagonists I've ever played with and Zidane has shitload more personality than he ever did. Sephiroth was a whiny and effeminate bore. He didn't have the genuine madness of Kefka on deck. Kefka truly was just a wild card which made him frightening while Sephiroth as insane because of latent mommy issues. It was somewhat laughable and even Kuja who was even more effeminate at least had more than just a few cut scenes and segments to sell him as a legit threat. So yeah once again "opinions...".

I find Tifa and Barrett's annoying ass to be more memorable and yet I still don't think they're as interesting and layered as Steiner or Dagger. So it's not undisputed like Jordan. The only undisputed point about it was that it helped the genre grow thanks to it's mainstream success. It made RPG's less "nerdy" and "niche" and more of a genre that ALL gamers were open to try. It came at a time when there were not many killer apps showcasing the PSX's power which helped it sell a lot. Now THAT is undisputed fact.

In terms of the games actual merits though beyond it's technicalities I don't see many look back on it as something really amazing outside of it's ? cult like fans. I've known RPG fans who never even liked the game and just blame it for a lot of the ? that plagued the genre afterwards and the older the game gets the less I see people talk about it. Can't say the same for truly "undisputed" universally loved gems like Chrono Trigger. Hell I've seen Phantasy Star and Dragon Warrior games get more retroactive love over the years than FFVII.

I bought it on it's first week based on the goodwill of IV and VI and how much I enjoyed them overall and didn't beat till like 3 years after. I just found it really difficult to get into that game and wasn't really impressed like everybody else. I mean a story about pollution trying to look like Blade Runner like every other sci-fi influenced piece of media back then wasn't the most compelling thing. It came across as generic for the most part since it was such a common set of tropes back then.

So it took me forever to beat it because most of the time it really bored me and there were other games like Resident Evil 2 and then shortly later Xenogears that got all my attention and earlier RPG's like Wild Arms that I kept going back to.
  • Chi-Town Bully
    Chi-Town Bully Members Posts: 29,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It took me damn near 2 weeks to do all that chocobo ? and beat the sphere/globe boss. This game was dope but i liked ff8 better